GE Transportation Employee Reviews

1 year contract
Lead System Engineer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLApril 17, 2018
Everyone worked hard. Spent a lot of time in meetings. Meetings were well organized and concluded as soon as agenda was covered. Learned much from project organization and code review processes.
It's a good place to work
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 14, 2018
As with every job much depends on your manager. Just like everywhere else there are some good ones and not so good ones. The constant movement of Upper Management has systematically destroyed much of the culture at GE. Hopefully with the new CEO things will calm down a bit.
Pros
Good pay and vacation.
Cons
Health Benefits are not good.
Productive Work environment
Technology Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 10, 2018
Had a very good time in GE Transportation for 10 years.People were friendly. Very good work life balance.
Technologically little backdated, which could be improved.
It was a very quick and fast paced, longer hours but very rewarding.
Material/Process Technical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lawrence Park, PAApril 5, 2018
You need to be on top of everything going on in your area. There were many people willing to help if you got stuck on something. I learned about managing material, process flow, and lean applications. Overall it was a great place to work, you did have those few people who made things more difficult and it wasn't always smooth sailing with the union when the company needed something. I really got to meet a lot of great people whom I did form long-lasting relationships with.
Pros
The did provide lunches once in a while and offered rewards to jobs well done.
Cons
The union wasn't really willing to work with what the company needed to succeed as a business.
Great intern experience
Advanced Manufacturing Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 4, 2018
In my role I was able to get my feet wet with real engineering experience that I can apply to my future career. The job was fun everyday and I learned something new while making a lot of money.
Fun place to work can be stressful at times, the new managment staff is by far the worst, but it usually pass.. staff seems to change every 3yrs or so
Warehouse Technician (Current Employee) –  Hanover Park, ILMarch 30, 2018
Ge use to be a place that was great to work for until recently, the staff is full of college kids with zero work experience and lack knowledge on leading and communicating with employees.
Pros
Benefits are pretty good.. safety is a big deal!!
Cons
Current management, no chance to advance without a degree
Not told everything
Painter (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 26, 2018
To me if you don't tell someone the whole truth you are lying. They do it often to their employs especially the 2nd shift. Don't go to work there on 2nd shift thinking you will get to day shift in reality you'll probably just get laid off when they get caught up. Some places in the building are ok but others are not good for your family life. I guess if you don't have a family life then go to work there.
Pros
Cons
Short lunch and break and high expations.
Poor management
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2018
I was hired to assist a project manager with a large software development project while I learned the financial side of project management. However, I was never given any training or guidance. Instead, I was tasked with administrative and procurement work.

There was no on-boarding process, no mention of work place safety (safety briefings, safety tour of the building, etc.), and no performance review process. My supervisor did not establish goals with any of his staff, and merit increases and bonuses were distributed at his sole discretion.
Pros
Free lunch Fridays, co-workers
Cons
No performance review process
Benefits
Material Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 22, 2018
So many benefits with GE. Company discounts.
Always learning on the job and online training.
Great people to work with.
The beset part of the job is they paided for travel to other sites within GE.
GE is a good company
Forklift Driver, Picking/Packing and Inventory (Former Employee) –  Hanover Park, ILMarch 16, 2018
we all alternated work areas. we all help each other when we need it. we would get free lunch one a month. it was a safe environment, I would go back it they ware reopen with out a doubt.
n/a
Assembler/Material Handling (Former Employee) –  Lawrence Park, PAMarch 14, 2018
working at ge was like no place else. it was a city within itself. the work atmosphere was okay and everyone had there own little clicks that they where a part of.
Cyclical Business
Regional Materials Manager/Service Operations (Current Employee) –  MarylandMarch 13, 2018
Good Culture
New Management
Good Work Life Balance
Management depends on Division
Job Culture depends on Division
Good foundations
Good company to be
assembler , fork lift and over head crane operator
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 13, 2018
My responsibilities included processing multi-cables complete, fold backs and cut backs, apply heat shrink, boot multi-cables, terminate multi-cables, assemble and build plugs complete. Run quality control on assembled cables then package all quality checked parts for delivery to designated area. Fork lift and over head crane operator
Pros
great job
Cons
fast pace
Just horrible
Sourcing Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 8, 2018
This was a contract position. The supervisors are really the worst. Take your work and ideas and call them their own and treat everyone under them like straight garbage. Kinda funny how GE is having Accounting and Financial issues, huh?
Pros
GE name
Cons
Backstabbing
Lead Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 8, 2018
long hours, inconsistent management, very matrix driven with silo'd internal organizations working towards competing matrices. Very strong union with weak disciplinary measures.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
I like my job
MATERIAL SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Roanoke Va.March 8, 2018
It is a good place to work, everyone gets along, It's only four people in the building so everyone has enough space to do there assigned jobs, without inconveniencing any other coworker's. I came to this job totally out of my element but with training and classes (provided by the company) I was quickly acclimated into this new field and now it's like not even considered work in my mind more like a daily routine and that makes for a good work environment.
Pros
Not Stressful, you are trusted to do your job without being Micromanaged.
Cons
Can't wear shorts anymore during the summertime new clothing regualtions.
very high paced and stress full work environment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, LAMarch 7, 2018
The place was cut-throat and there were no oppurtunities to advance within the company. I had to relocate in order to keep my job and I wasn't willing to do that at the time.
Very good work atmosphere everyone got along !
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAMarch 2, 2018
Good place to work! Hated getting layed off, wanted to work for many more years and retire from there someday. I have 5 year callback rights ,maybe someday I will get called back
GE Transportation
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 1, 2018
Overall GE was an excellent place to grow your career when I first began. However, over the past 3-5 years, the management and direction of the company has declined. It is currently a toxic environment, as confirmed by many who continue to work there. Yet, there is hope the new top leadership will turn the business around.
Cons
Inexperienced leadership trainees placed in business critical program roles.
a lot of ups and downs
Assembly/material handler (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 28, 2018
great place to work but a lot of ups and downs, lay offs, being pushed out of your area because not having enough service. It is a union shop with great benefits.. would go back in a heart beat...
Pros
my own office
Cons
have to wear steeltoe shoe

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GE Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

4.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight