Ga. Dept. of Transportation Employee Reviews

Extremely high turnover; Horrible management in support
Application Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 20, 2018
Run from this company! Management belittles the people and fires for no reason at all. They treat their people bad here. Do not waste your time. Management screams and talks down on people.
Poor Management
Sr. IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 11, 2018
Very difficult place to work. I was warned when I stepped door in the door on my first day that "this place is like no other!" Many smart resources on the projects, that are mistreated and harassed.

Management style need changing as I have never worked with a group of highly educated, highly skilled technology workers who are MISERABLE in their job and dread each day of work.
Pros
Smart, competent staff
Cons
Poor, UNACCOUNTABLE MANAGEMENT. CEO is nice guy who is unaware of senior management tactics.
Good job
Driver (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GANovember 26, 2017
Good job - nice people - not super hard work - great exsperiance on equipment operating and maintenance people were nice and helpfull in most all jobs - learning was pleasant and well handled
Pros
Time off if needed
Cons
Not real good pay
great starting job in construction field
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 21, 2017
Learned a lot about being a operator had a great time. learning how to operate. track loader,tireloader,backhoe management was not as great as I would have liked it to be but overall the most enjoyable part was me learning to operate different equipment .
Pros
learnred to operate
Cons
no direction no growtrh
Great agency
Payroll Paraprofessional II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 9, 2017
First agency of the state worked for. Really enjoyed my time there, made lots of great friends as well as co workers, Stressed teamwork environment, Great hours, great benefits and perks,
Pros
Overall great agency
very relax
Supply/Warehouse Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tifton, GAJune 20, 2017
very relax, slow, no fighting.You work with a team of amazing, talented, intelligent, underpaid, overworked brilliant people. You get some of the best benefits.
Job advancements
Assistant Foreman (Current Employee) –  Thomaston, GAApril 26, 2017
I have applied for jobs on a regular basis but seem the closer in friendship with upper management are the one usually the ones to receive the job. I was trained within the company on minimum equipment to advance as needed and once needed due to my background I was personally chose to operate a specific kind of equipment.
Benefits
Company offers good opportunity for college grads with engineering degrees and need experience.
Right of Way Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 11, 2015
The Rright of Way Speciaist position will prepare you for future jobs outside of DOT. Low pay, no motivation to excell and lack of management support contribute to high turnover. Don't expect to be promoted to Specialist 2 position after one year as they promised, They will make up requirements that do not exist and they only propmte people in the Good Old Boy network. If you speak up, they Block-ball you and make your life miserable.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No promotion, low pay, nobody cares
Ok experience, low pay, nice coworkers
Right of way spc 2 (Former Employee) –  AtlantaJune 3, 2015
The job is easy, processes/paperwork are simple, not an 8-hr desk job, visit job sites, people, road construction areas and houses. Negotiates to acquire land ect. Pay not good at all, benefits ok, often micro managers keep you from advancing, your college education means little to them, mostly good-ole-boy system. Public record confirms low pay after 25 years continued service or you wait for coworkers to advance or retire. Must get Cert General Appraisal License to make over 45K. Limited slots to advance +50K. Get a few years experience and leave. Trust me.
Pros
Easy work, parties, often free food, ok benefits
Cons
Keep you fat and happy, low pay, no advancement
Low Compensation and Morale
Engineering Group Manager/Negotiator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 14, 2014
Low compensation and morale have haunted the GDOT for the last five (5) years. People are leaving and pursuing other interests. GDOT back in the day was a great place to work, but ever since GE the Department will never be the same.
Pros
Military Flexibilty
Cons
Compensation is well behind the private sector.
Very knowledgeable place to work.
Construction Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Park, Ga.October 8, 2012
A typical day at work, was easy you went in to work already knowing what needed to be done. I learned how roads and bridges are built and how to read blue prints/construction plans. When it came to management, they were there when you needed them. Co-workers always listened and gave me help if I asked. The hardest park of the job was the shift changes. The enjoyable part of the job was celebrating holiday's.
Pros
having days off for state holiday's.
Cons
sometimes not able to take a break.