GAF Materials Corporation Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work. They treat people more as tools than people.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXApril 20, 2018
I worked there for over two years and it was the worst environment. If you are a yes man and do not have opinion or ideas this place is for you. They value you as a tool not a person. Management is horrible. They think they are better than you and WILL NOT value your opinion. No room for advancement. Grunts will stay grunts and only people in management are the ones with a bachelor degree. More than likely you will be more suited for the management position than you actual manager.
Good for people with no families or life outside of work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 10, 2018
Pay is great. Hours suck! If you have a family or life count that out working at GAF working 7 days a week 12 hours shifts. All kinds of money but that doesn't keep your family together. When I started I was money hungry, when you spend more time at work than you do with your family is a problem. Money can't buy by your family, kids, significant other. People there are good people some will text you other don't give you the time of day.
Pros
Good money
Cons
All the above
Great company and product brand in consumer and construction market segments
Manufacturing Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Burgaw, NCMarch 1, 2018
Company is focused on improving business and operational processes and keep abreast of system wide approach to improve operational performances using LEAN, JIT and TMP strategies as use in automotive supplier mfg. operations. Mgmt. is highly focused in ensuring employee involvement and safe working environment at al times.
Pros
Very diversified range of product mfg. technologies
Cons
plant location in NC.
So What You're Talented
Relief Operator (Former Employee) –  North Branch, NJFebruary 5, 2018
I learned that if you are too talented an employee, its better to keep talents hidden. Exploiting an employee is common when that individual shows the ability to manage various tasks.
Territory Manager for ME, VT & NH
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Millis, MAJanuary 19, 2018
Factory rep selling into all levels of distribution managing a three state region for the oldest American Roofing and ventilation products producer in the US. Handled anything and everything in relative to the distribution and application of the companies products.
Worst management ever!!
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 4, 2018
This place has gone in the toilet since this new management team has taken over with everything there is no interest to come to work every day and I do mean every day Monday-Sunday
So if you want no life and like being treated like a number get get a job at gaf they'll love you !
But if you want to be treated like a human being with a life outside of gaf run away far away.
Sorry if I tell the truth and how I feel . But last time I checked it's a freedom of speech!!!
Pros
Money if you want to work 80hrs a week
Cons
1. Management 2. Lack of knowledge running this place 3. Being treated poorly
Good job
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Burgaw, NCDecember 27, 2017
It's a good job for people who want to learn manufacturing. It's a fast paced job. The working hours are not bad. People in production are very pleasing to work with.
Worked in Marketing Department
Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJDecember 15, 2017
I worked in the marketing department and did marketing analysis. Employee's at GAF either did not do their jobs at all or did very poor quality work. No one seemed to get along. There was a lot of fighting while I was there. There were many complaints to HR dept. regarding things that were happening. Culture is non-existent. Marketing databases were never updated, data was years old and had never been updated. Their idea of marketing is junk email. That's it - just junk email. I analyzed the activity around the junk email - ridiculous.
Pros
Cons
poorly managed
GAF Materials
Line Lift Driver (Former Employee) –  Garden City, GANovember 17, 2017
Good job with great benefits and opportunity for overtime. I enjoyed the closeness and team work of my peers. The work fluctuated over the years and eventually I was laid off. I would not have otherwise left.
Good salary
Boiler/stills operator (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 13, 2017
The company offers good salary and the human resource department is good at handling internal issues. I am not crazy about the unavailability to rotate shifts as I never get a weekend off unless I use vacation but all in all, it is a good company.

Want to know more about GAF Materials Corporation?

Ask a question
very low morale work place
Robot/Ato Operator (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CASeptember 21, 2017
very demanding and fast pace company, poor management techniques, low morale employee participation, good organization techniques, cleaning. reliever for brakes sometimes took forever to give employee breaks.Schedule days off were taken with out your approval meaning you had to go back to work on your schedule day off.
Pros
not much to say
Cons
rotating shifts, schedule days off were taken away with out your consent.
GAF Materials
Warehouse Personnel (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 4, 2017
This was a good place to be and work. The work was enjoyable, pleasant, and a person can and did learn. I receive first work experience in the warehouse inventory and mro experience.
Fast paced environment where production numbers matter
Quality Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 28, 2017
GAF is a 24/7/365 company that produces roofing shingles. Quality is taken seriously with checks performed by each operator. It gets cold in the winter and very hot in the summer, but that is common in the manufacturing business.
Pros
Decent profit sharing bonuses
Cons
stress, healthcare
All work and hard work
Dry-end operator/Re-wrapper (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJuly 14, 2017
All work and hard work, The management/supervisors on the shift really didn't know how to lead or talk to the staff to get them motivated to do the daily tasks. I believe that's why most of the material order numbers were not met at the end of the week due to the morale of the staff.
ok job
Material Handler/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJune 3, 2017
To many shut downs for long periods of time. New management all the time. didn't know from day to day if you were doing the right thing. It serviced the time I needed to support my family
Pros
money and insurance
Cons
shut downs
Great people and benefits
Reasearch Tech (Current Employee) –  Ennis, TXMay 24, 2017
This company has a lot of good things going for it. They are always expanding and needing help. Lots of perks to the job. Work environment was the best I have had so far.
Few good co-worker. Lots of tattletale kiss butts trying to advance
Machine Technician (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXApril 8, 2017
Over all good company to work for management suck always micro manage the hourly employees. Pay was excellent hours were long. Not climate controlled hot during summer cold during winter.good place to work if your a butt kisser.
Pros
Pay was excellent, benefits excellent
Cons
Management sucks
Great pay, good benefits.
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, INMarch 27, 2017
I started with humble beginnings at this company but have quickly moved up.

The pay scale is better than any other in the area, but this likely due to the schedule. If you come here as an entry level, you will work - a lot. More than you may be willing to sometimes. If you like OT then this is the place for you. If you value your family time and weekends then it is not.

This is not a climate controlled facility, it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. We make asphalt products which are processed at Temps exceeding 350 degrees so it is very hot in the summer.

The benefits are pretty good and there are safety bonuses and other opportunities to make additional money.

We still have people that have worked here since day 1 (40+ years ago), so you can make a career here.

It is an overall good place to work once you come to terms with the conditions and hours.
Pros
Great pay ans benefits, safety bonuses
Cons
Schedule, work-life balance
Solid company with excellent benefits
Regional Pricing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJanuary 23, 2017
Large, solid company with excellent benefits.
GAF a major manufacturer of roofing and building materials.
I enjoyed the working with the people and management my 10 years there.
Great place to work real family oriented company that i enjoy my time there.
Lead Boiler Operator/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Dudley, NCJanuary 7, 2017
Plant operator maintain steaming boilers and 7.5 mil re-heaters. controlled all water /chemical treatment for boilers and cooling towers
i learned a lot about welding and cutting, i think the hardest thing i had to do was curve my military critical thought process to fit in as a civilian operator, just a different sop than the military. i enjoyed working with a lot of older operators with tons of information.