GAF Employee Reviews

Good pay, horrible management
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, INNovember 2, 2018
The plant works long hours in a dirty, physically uncomfortable environment. The management encourages a blame culture and constantly makes poor decisions. The operations leader is very arrogant and talks down to employees. The maintenance manager spends his day selling real estate. The business is solid, despite the leadership. Unfortunately, it is just poorly managed.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad management, absolutely no work-life balance
GAF Roofing is a wonderful company to work for.
Department Manager/Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Adelanto, CASeptember 21, 2018
A typical day at work would be clocking in, sitting at my desk inputting data, wait for trucks to come in to verify raw materials, and provide raw materials to the production lines.
I learned how to multi task and gained strong communication skills.
The work place culture was fast pace but very well coordinated by management.
The hardest part of the Job was being laid off. The most enjoyable part of the job was working together with great coworkers.
Pros
Open oppurtunities to advance, great benefits, family oriented, and always willing to hel an employee
Cons
Not being able to retire from there due to lay off.
Great workplace
Process Engineering Co-op/Intern (Former Employee) –  Ellis County, TXAugust 14, 2018
Big company that works like a small company and I mean this in a good way. Tight and flexible work culture and keeps in mind of advancement opportunities within the company.
Great place to work and develop you career and skills. Very secure
Employee (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJJuly 11, 2018
People are great and management is very progressive and leaning forward. Most employees are empowered to be decision makers. Very pleasant office space, Tough to advance since very limited postings for higher level positions.
Pros
Very Good people, secure company, very forward thinking
Cons
not much room for advancement, very little postings at a higher level..
Production Worker II
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Shafter, CAJuly 26, 2018
In charge of rail car movement and raw material inventory for production line. Hours are crazy but good money. A lot of rumors and no one to trust at work. Besides that, a lot of good benefits like company picnic, team building trip, christmas party etc quarterly bonuses if production hit numbers (which they keep raising) and quarterly perks.
Pros
Lunch paid, great money, lots of hours, advancement possibilities
Cons
hardly any days off, worker gossip/drama, no one to trust, favoritism
No loyalty to employees
Certified Contractor Program Representative (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJDecember 2, 2018
After working for this company for 30 years, I was one of 100+ people laid off due to downsizing and relocating. Loyalty doesn't matter. Very corporate.
Pros
Good medical benefits, close to home
Cons
very strict corporate administration.
Gaf
Associate Product Manager/Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJAugust 24, 2018
GAF is a growing company with good compensation. Reorg has been an issue. Open office environment. Sales driven organization. Marketing is often hand cuffed by other department restrictions.
Quality Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 7, 2018
I have a great boss who understands outside work needs and pressures. Great management with a good relationship with the local union. Excellent benefits package when it comes to time off. Decent insurance.
Pros
Cons
Work undercover but not heated or cooled
Fast paced environment
Logistics Clerk/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 3, 2018
This was a great place to work just very exhausting somedays and stressful. Wish I would not have retired so soon. Miss working there. Made lots of lifelong friends.
Benefits
Cons
Long hour
Supply Chain
supply chain manager (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJSeptember 5, 2018
A lot of fancy vision and goals from management that never have executed because people are not adapting. A lot of misconception that company drive value to people but never happened and employees never feel the same. Management is factory mindset to change like global corporate.
Pros
Cons
No work & life balance in supply chain team, no direction from supervisor but criticize the performances.
Nice place to work most of the time
MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXAugust 30, 2018
On a typical day i would put on all of the proper PPE and clock in for work. I would then go to my department in the silo area and make a quick observation to be sure everything was running properly. After that i would start my paperwork for the day. Fellow employees were usually polite and easy to talk to. The hardest part of the job was having multiple tasks to do at the same time in some cases. The most enjoyable was the pay, the benefits, and the available overtime.
Pros
great pay and plenty of time off
Cons
Manager and supervisors can be cut throat
Horrible place to work. They treat people more as tools than people.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXApril 20, 2018
I worked there for over two years and it was the worst environment. If you are a yes man and do not have opinion or ideas this place is for you. They value you as a tool not a person. Management is horrible. They think they are better than you and WILL NOT value your opinion. No room for advancement. Grunts will stay grunts and only people in management are the ones with a bachelor degree. More than likely you will be more suited for the management position than you actual manager.
Glass mat machine operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 27, 2018
Good place to work, positive inclusive culture, great HR. Comprehensive training and very safe place to work for. They really care about people and quality of the product.
Pros
Money / co-workers
Cons
N/A for me
good company to work
Network Engineer, Contract (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJJuly 19, 2018
i would like to recommend. The it department have a good system.
I was working on the troubleshooting the system routing and switch and firewall asa. the daily is to config the switch and design the network. from the work i learn the dns and infoblox. I manage the system using the solarwind and cisco prime. the working culture is frendly and open mind. The hardest part is not able to work with other the higer technology here. Everyone here are not able sharing the information. the boss not really care the employee. but i enjoyed to work becaus overhere is the aws cloud opporturity
It wasn't no place really for a to go but the lunch/break room
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INDecember 6, 2018
I first started in a rewrap & it was stressful because of the atmosphere & when a bid came up that's when I got awarded to a forklift driver, it is was fine for awhile then things became uneasy but it was something that I love to do is my job & some employees see that you happy in the work place may be unpleasant, I big on not bringing home to work and work to home, I do my best to keep things in order with people also work the experience of it all gave me a lot of insight of doing what's right in the work place by the book!
Great Place
Sales Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 9, 2018
Great place to work. I spent 15+ years working for GAF, and I would recommend it to anyone. It was fun, but it was many long hours worth of work. Best job I'd ever had.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Long hours and travel
Account Manager
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJAugust 30, 2018
Setting up process SAP(Service Level Agreements), between different parts of the organization.

Manage a team of product support specialist.

Client loyalty, product creation and client retention how important it is for the companies bottom line.

Our success is the clients success!
Busy
Operator (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, INMarch 14, 2018
The Management at GAF is Terrible HR is horrible the hours were terrible the pay was the only great thing this company has going for it other then the mangers running the Mount Vernon Plant into the ground
Great team but poor management
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJSeptember 3, 2015
Over the past few years at GAF, there have been a significant number of changes that have taken a toll on many of the CSR's. There is no work/life balance, in fact some rep's would come in 1.5 hours prior to their shift just to get caught up due to the lay offs and under staffing. Very high stress environment. There is no room for advancement, all politics, once you are in one department you are stuck there. If a position does open up somewhere else, you will get denied due to some "rule", even if you are clearly qualified. Management does not listen to any concerns until higher ups get involved, then act surprised as if this is something new. There are better and happier places to work than here.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Poor Management, No work/life balance, No Growth
Great pay, good benefits.
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, INMarch 27, 2017
I started with humble beginnings at this company but have quickly moved up.

The pay scale is better than any other in the area, but this likely due to the schedule. If you come here as an entry level, you will work - a lot. More than you may be willing to sometimes. If you like OT then this is the place for you. If you value your family time and weekends then it is not.

This is not a climate controlled facility, it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. We make asphalt products which are processed at Temps exceeding 350 degrees so it is very hot in the summer.

The benefits are pretty good and there are safety bonuses and other opportunities to make additional money.

We still have people that have worked here since day 1 (40+ years ago), so you can make a career here.

It is an overall good place to work once you come to terms with the conditions and hours.
Pros
Great pay ans benefits, safety bonuses
Cons
Schedule, work-life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GAF. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.9InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

4.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight