Gainesville Regional Utilities

Gainesville Regional Utilities Reviews: Working at Gainesville Regional Utilities

United States31 reviews

Gainesville Regional Utilities insights

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Fun work with knowledgeable fellow Operators. Management, not so much.

All the Operators in the Control Rooms are from the industry; however, management not so much. This is a Government Regulated Industry requiring Government Certification. Management is not required to be Certified. Thank God the Government requires a letter on the wall, signed by the CEO, stating that the Operators on duty have the Power to do anything that they deem necessary to secure the system. If management stepped in the Operator on duty could have management removed from the room.

Pros

Pay, flexibility of hours

Cons

Uneducated management

very friendly work environment

good staff, good crews, a lot room for upward mobility, good at training programs. a lot of hands on training, with well informed people to asst you with learning your skills. Short schools are easy to get approved to attend. Good managers in all departments,

Good place, but some underling diversity issues

It comes down to individual managers, but some are not very understanding and GRU as a whole struggles with diversity. They are making an effort, which is good, but there is still a lot to be done. There is opportunity for advancement.

coworkers are fun to work with

Typical 9 hours work day with 1 hour break I learned about all the moving departments that help it function The employees are great to work and be around around The hardest part was learning the programs and how to explain in an easy to understand way for our customers

Good, but dirty job. Pay could be better. DuPont schedule is nice.

Good, but dirty job. Pay could be better. DuPont schedule is nice. This plant uses coal and natural gas as fueling medium, lots of conveyor belts, pulverizers for the coal and can become a plugging issue when wet.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

It was a very interesting place to work for. They helped me advance my career.

Nice Friendly organization to work for. Typical days started out by visiting a job site, taking notes, then returning to the office. Usually, a group of us would go to a nice restaurant and discuss our projects and trade ideas

Pros

There was a very nice retirement plan which was portable.

Cons

They hired some new people that really did their best to screw up the system.

I do not wish to fill this in.

I do not wish to answer this question. I will just ramble until I hit the 150 character minimum that is required to hit submit. I still haven't hit it. Success.

Nice working environment

The interview process was a great experience. I was hired very quickly after my interview. The only reason I left was because it was a temp position and I really needed permanent employment.

Keep Looking

Working under my supervisor was one of the most stressful times in my life. She was the worst manager I have ever worked for. She was extremely manipulative!!

good place to work

Municipal Utility, 90,000 customers, vertically integrated, engineering decisions impacted by political City Commission, excellent benefits and retirement plan

Good Place to work

From GRU I have learned the value of working hard to achieve goals you want. GRU likes to promote from within when there is an internal applicant that has the ability to step up. Sometimes the work environment seems stuck in a rut with not a lot of room for change. Recently, there have been small changes that may, in the future, lead to better opportunity for employees.

Great Place to Work

I loved my time at GRU. The Water/Wastwater Dept. was fabulous. The management truly cared, from the Officer to the Managers. I miss them all very much.

Great experience working with people.

The company cared about their customers. The co-workers were awesome to work with. The hardest part of the job , little chance for advancement. I learned how to work with others and customers.

Pros

Great experience working with people.

Cons

Little chance for advancement

Meh

What started as a great experience and awesome group of people to work with now has turned into nothing more than broken promises and high school drama. Certain employees unfairly favored over others, bad project preparations and failed implementations... I could go on. There needs to be some serious change in management!

Nice place towork

Fast-paced environment. Had good training opportunities. Learned a lot about utility companies and how they function. Possibility of being cross-trained to fill in for staff absences.

Pros

Great staff to work with.

Cons

Benefits are very high.

An invaluable learning atmosphere with a family like environment

Overall this is a great place to work. I learned a lot from brilliant minds around me. Due to the family like atmosphere, in the engineering department we always supported one another and helped each other out. Working at GRU I have really felt like I have been a servant of the City of Gainesville, giving me job real meaning.

Pros

Flexible hours, lots of project exposure

Cons

No chance for interns to move into full time positions.

As operator, typical day at work requires checking equipment, parameters, temperatures, fluid levels, and often starts auxiliary equipment to support gas-turbine and boiler in service.

Overall good company

If you are looking for company that will enable a diverse learning opportunity, this place is for you. Having the services of electric, natural gas, water, wastewater, telecommunication.

Educational employment for an intern

As an intern there were many opportunities for exposure to various aspects of utilities. I was invited to participate in construction meetings and gained a lot of experience in CAD.

Look Elsewhere

Go find another job with a better company. Management is awful and there is no trust between employees and managers/supervisors. There is a mass exodus out of here and if I had to do it over again, I'd find a different place to work.

Pros

Decent pay, but still lacking

Cons

Bad management, don't follow up on anything, maintenance is put off on critical equipment

Fun and relaxed pace

Fun place to work with nice employees and managers. Had a kitchen for meals and a gym for exercise. I worked directly for the plant manager and we had a great relationship. I was pretty much on my own and didnt need supervision. The hardest part was budget time which was fast paced and could be stressful. The best part was we had a number of dinners and cookouts throughout the year. The location was out in the country where I could see lots of wildlife.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gainesville Regional Utilities. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Gainesville Regional Utilities Reviews by Location

• Gainesville Regional Utilities
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?