Galen College of Nursing Employee Reviews

Poor Management, Unethical &lack of honest communication
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 4, 2018
Poor Management, Unethical & lack of honest communication. School does not follow the FERPA guidelines and polices to protect the students What I enjoyed the most was the employees and students.
Pros
Out at 2:00 on Fridays
Cons
Poor management, high turnover, lack of honest communicaion
They work harder not smarter
Financial Aid Planning Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 19, 2018
Typical day is expected in a school helping students. Directors from main campus out of state will make changes on the fly without considering student's impact. many students were forced to dropout due to financial issues. Large out of pocket expenses intentionally left out during initial meetings.
Pros
Early release on Fridays.
Cons
Work enviroment
Ok place to work
Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 18, 2018
Low pay for work load. The give you the job they think is suitable for you and not the job you applied for. Hiring freezes often. Needs more diversity.
Pros
God management. Kind hearted
Cons
Needs diversit, low pay
great nursing school
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 16, 2018
Fast paced nursing program that helps prepare you for the nursing work place with confidence. Clinical setting allow students to provide hands on patient care and demonstrate skills with instructor present.
Stressful place to teach
Faculty (Former Employee) –  St Petersburg Beach, FLFebruary 8, 2018
The faculty and staff are very dedicated at this college and I do believe the graduates are quality nurses. However, the business mentality the college maintains makes it difficult to do a good job. Leadership has a mistrust of faculty: the syllabus, exams, books, etc are all decided for instructors. The workload for a full time faculty member is twice the work of a state institution. I was constantly busy writing curriculum, doing committee work, and aiding accreditation efforts while still teaching a full load. The working environment is toxic which has a lot to do with the executive leadership and their aggressive business goals. There was a constant turnover of leadership and instructors that made my work harder on a regular basis. Working for this college will be very stressful with little reward.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Toxic environment
Stressful work environment
Full-time faculty (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 7, 2018
Stressful, Authoritarian, top-down management style and constant pressure to do more than position description called for. Unhealthy work environment in spite of management's claims that they support faculty. Open-door admissions policy with pressure to turn the poor learners into nurses while maintaining very low failure rates.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Everything else
Great place to work, great place for students to become great nurses
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  St Petersburg Beach, FLJanuary 7, 2018
Galen College provides a relaxed but sometimes serious environment when it comes to doing the actual work of providing the students the best quality education possible.
For the most part staff have buy in into what the ultimate goal of the College is, and that is to not just train our students to be good nurses but great nurses.
The faculty that is hired to teach our students are nothing less than top notch.
Every work place has its issues but management at every level has the students and faculty best interest at heart.
Pros
Faculty, work life balance
Bad place to work
Instructor (Former Employee) –  St Petersburg Beach, FLDecember 25, 2017
Galen has a corporate mentality rather than academic. The customer is always right- unfortunately the customers are students who take advantage of this in every way possible. In Galen’s attempt to appease their accreditors they over compensate with far too many meetings, paperwork, and beaurocracy. Faculty are expected to develop curriculum, serve on numerous committees, and contribute to the top heavy beuarocratic process on top of their heavy teaching load. Galen’s workload formula for faculty is laughably skewed in such a way that they stretch every instructor as thin as possible. The culture of Galen is toxic such that executive leaders are mistrusted and many employees backbite and scheme to gain favor. There is a reason they are always hiring and offer competitive salaries— it’s a horrible place to work and will rob you of sanity.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Toxic culture, high workload
Internship placement
Psychological Intern IV (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 3, 2017
Primary job functions were psychological testing for accommodations required by the ADA. The students were easy to work with. Supervision was the best.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Only one position
flexible and supportive
Adjunct Nursing Faculty (LPN to ADN track) (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 24, 2017
flexible and supportive environment. This job easily augments my full-time job. I enjoy learning and working with the nursing students. Management is fair, helpful.
Good place
Security/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 20, 2017
Being around young people keeps me young. It is laid back and most everyone is good to work with. I've been here for six and a half years and have enjoyed all of it.
Current Student
Currently full time student in LVN program (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 5, 2017
Very good college to attend. I have consistently gone for the past year and have enjoyed the quality education that they have provided. The staff is very supportive and have been helpful.
Full-time Faculty, Online RN-BSN Program (Current Employee) –  onlineSeptember 12, 2017
I love the online college. It is a fabulous place to work. This school is student centered and faculty focused. The curriculum is guided and created by faculty, and founded on the principles of evidenced based practice. It is exceptional.
Still employed
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 2, 2017
Galen College is great place to work. Keeps you busy with work and enjoy working with faculty and students. Operations is great to work with and you have opportunities for advancement.
I was only a student
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 15, 2017
Although I never worked for Galen College of Nursing, I was a full time student. It was a great facility and school. I had great instructors as well as clinical and simulation instructors as well.
Terrible place to work
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 28, 2017
The students run the house, say and do what they want. The administration and staff are scared of the students and afraid of being sued. The students can say anything and there is no consquences for false statements. I would highly recommend looking elsewhere to work.
Pros
Non
Cons
Not at all what they pretend to be.
Former operations- now under academics (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 21, 2017
Leadership turnover. We thought we had it bad before, it's worse now. Save the money they spend on flights to send people to "help" and invest on the real issues.
Ridiculous!
Pros
Promote from within
Cons
Leadership, Ceo, Leadership
Not a good place to work
Nursing Clinical Faculty (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJune 15, 2017
Management does not support faculty. Over works clinical faculty. Management lacks cultural sensitivity. Students are not number one priority as they advertise.
Great coworkers, horrendous leadership
Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 13, 2017
I have some great coworkers. They're talkative and would be an amazing team, but the leadership is absolutely horrendous. The team is very new but you can already see the burnout from incompetent management. It could be an incredible place to work if leadership could get it together.
Pros
Good team, great programs for students
Cons
Leadership, leadership, leadership
Galen Review
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 6, 2017
Galen was an excellent school for me. I was challenged, which is the best way for me to learn. The teachers were all so helpful and my clinical experiences really opened my eyes to all the nursing life has to offer. I sincerely wish I was getting my RN at Galen, but things just did not work out that way. I recommend this school to anyone who is looking to start a career in nursing.
Pros
Great teachers, good clinical sites
Cons
I can't think of any

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Galen College of Nursing. Our community is ready to answer.