Gallup-McKinley County Schools Employee Reviews

Very stressful, difficult parents and unsupported by management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Gallup mckinley county schoolsJanuary 24, 2019
This job was good for me at first. I did receive some support from management at first, but after 6 months they did not show much understanding toward me. They made my problems worse.

Working with the central office was such a terrible experience, they treat you like trash and they just refer you to the employment handbook instead of taking the time to explain anything.

I felt accomplished, despite working late evenings and weekends. I just could not sustain that kind of life. My management expected everything to be done. They are micromanaging and emotional toward the staff. If you are lucky you are one of the favorites!

The district offers good pay and benefits, especially if you continue education. You may get a stipend of 2k as a first year teacher but they pay it over the course of 2 years to make sure you put in your time before you leave. The district has a high turnover rate because of the difficult population, so you can get a job fairly easily.

The amount of stress was not worth the job security or money. Other schools are not as stressful in this district, but mine was. I did not want to be a martyr for the system.
Pros
Benefits, high salary, job security, working with kids
Cons
High work load, lack of support, bad management
Gallup McKinley Schools lost a lot of it's nurturing and being able to teach
TEACHER OF THE GIFTED (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NMSeptember 30, 2018
GMCS, with the ascendancy of a new Superintendent developed a business model regarding the education of its students. It was unfortunate because it became mostly about profitability and not the well-being of the students and the teachers. Teachers' despite decades of experience were now expendable. The business model meant that an experienced teacher would be let go, to get an inexperienced who could the district could pay much less. Everything was based on Standards rather than what teacher was teaching to the students. Unfortunately, many of the students in the school district placed a low-value on education. This created almost a no-win, situation for the teaching staff.
Pros
Gallup was not a stressful city. It was a simple place to live.
Cons
The district was going in a direction that was not pro-teacher. Also, there was very little to do in Gallup. It was far-away from everything.
Doing good job at work place
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gallup, NMSeptember 10, 2018
I like to work at the district and I have always have. I like to work with people and to meet new people.We are there for the students every day teach them, help them with their skills so they can achieve and pass their skills in the educations. This is k-12. including specials.
Pros
Excellent staff a good work place
Good job and people to work for.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NMSeptember 4, 2018
This was a good starting job as a teacher. I worked here 30 years ago and I’m sure a lot has changed! I worked for a mere 4 years but they prepared me for the job I held for 26 years.
Pros
God place good people
Cons
Too long ago to remember
Enriching
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NMMarch 31, 2018
Teaching Assistant
Help lead teacher in setting up classroom. Developed lesson plans with lead teacher. Built meaningful relationships with co-workers and parents of students. Workplace was respectful. Hardest part of the job can be the occasional long hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with young children, becoming a part of the community and building meaningful relationships with students.
Pros
Becoming part of a community.
Cons
Salary
Loved the school system
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NMFebruary 1, 2018
I met a lot of great people working as a substitute for Gallup Public Schools. The kids were wonderful to work with and the staff were always very helpful.
If you are desperate then work here
Teacher (Former Employee) –  GallupDecember 20, 2017
So I should have known from the get go that this school district was awful. The new teacher orientation was nothing but a pitch for why we shouldn't leave the district! The bonus money they advertise for hard to fill positions is paid out over two years so when you figure out that the district sucks and leave you don't get the money they promised you.

Bad management, in fighting with the school board, homeless drunks all over town, lack of proper security in the schools and zero pride is what you get with this gig. I have worked for 4 different districts in my 21 year teaching career and this is by far the worst. The only good thing about this district are the students.
Pros
They hire anybody
Cons
Everything else
change of pace
Special Education Paraprofessional (full time (Current Employee) –  Gallup, NMNovember 22, 2017
A typical day at work is shadowing an autistic child and assisting other special needs children.

This experience has made me dig deep for patience and understanding.
Pros
Rewarding professionally
Cons
not rewarding financially
Bus driver
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NMAugust 1, 2017
I was a bus driver here. Short hours and okay pay per hour. Contracts were never on schedule, lots of gossip, employees that have been there for 10 plus years don't think teaching you is right.
Pros
Ok pay per hour
Cons
Short short hours
custodian job
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Gallup, NMApril 28, 2017
this custodian job is good. i like working with the gallup mckinley county schools.nice staff and good students. i jus did a lot of work that wasnt under my job title
Pros
off on weekends
Cons
low pay
Good place to work.
Secretary (Current Employee) –  GMCSDecember 26, 2016
Good place to work. Every campus is different from the others; however, I have enjoyed working for every school that I've worked at. If someone can work in a diverse setting, this school district will be a good fit.
Working with children in a positive and fun learning experience
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Gallup, NMSeptember 30, 2016
In morning I would check the phone to look for messages from the tutor check the email for teacher respondes on work for the day. I would get the reading books ready for the children .I would check for any children absent or if any tutors were going to be absent that day so I could make other arrangments. I go to office make copies of work for children I had a duty in cafeteria then report to that. I also had bus duty then return to classroom get more additional instuructions for the next day.
High need students with limited resources
Special Educator (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NMOctober 7, 2012
Co-workers and many administrators were collaborative and had students' best interests in mind. However, there were always lots of obstacles to overcome and red tape to cut through in order to actually effectively get appropriate resources for students.