GameStop Employee Reviews

Found 6,387 reviews matching the search See all 6,619 reviews
Not worth it for Full Time
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Rocky Point, NYOctober 18, 2018
The company requires more than 40 hours a week for a Store Manager and that's just in the store; you'll be connected by text and e-mail when not there by your superiors.

The job commitment takes a serious toll on your personal life and isn't gratifying if you have a family or loved ones you want to see. The culture the job has created for it's managers is underpaid and harsh in seeking goal execution of whatever they're looking for that week.
Enjoyable and relaxing place to work, even during the busiest of times.
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ruston, LAOctober 18, 2018
Everyone worked together like a tight knit family. The environment was relaxed and helpful, even during the busiest hours of the day. The clientele is always kind and the other workers are always kind and helpful, even after work hours.
Pros
Discounts and game renting for workers
Cons
Only part-time and no maternity leave available
Poor work enviornnment
Assistant Store Manager / Temporary Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Locust Grove, GAOctober 18, 2018
The staff is poorly paid and under appreciated. The company over-all did not seem to care about the employees whatsoever. I would never work for this company again.
Cons
low pay, poor employee relations, unrealistic goals, unprofessional conduct and bad attitudes throughout the higher ups.
Great for part time, please don't expect a rewarding career
Store Leader (Former Employee) –  North Port, FLOctober 18, 2018
Worked for the company for nearly 10 years. Most of the District leaders I had were great, until my most recent. She was the epitome of "Boss VS Leader" her being on the Boss end of the spectrum. It is hard to maintain a sense of passion or desire to perform for someone who is not versed in the culture of the business. She was darn good at reading planograms and reciting policies...but could not adapt to find solutions even on a basic level. And then there's personal stuff that I won't go into here :)
Pros
Cool culture, established customer base
Cons
Communication for "corporate level leadership", expectations can be unrealistic
Good overall
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Coos Bay, OROctober 17, 2018
Good place to work if you like games or gaming related things or even technology. Computer skills are useful and register experience. Sometimes low hours.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Low hours
Fun and Productive work environment.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, ILOctober 16, 2018
A good place to work and experience front line retail management. A great way to learn and adapt to new challenges. A great way to stay "in the know" with the industry and receive nice bonuses too.
Pros
Great discounts!
Cons
No overtime as a store manager.
part time job. no hours to work andith minumal wage
Game Adviser (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCOctober 16, 2018
little hours worked. little pay and there is little advancement in the company. love helping people with games but hated advertiseing what to preorder and what not to.
order fulfuller
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXOctober 16, 2018
Login in to work computer print out label to start order. Go grab a scanner to start order by scanning first the label the scan out product to order. Down the line until all order is completed.
its been more then 10 years
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 16, 2018
not much to say that i can remember its been more then 10 years not much i can say i guess it was good nothing bad that i can remember i was 18 and the assistant store manager
GameStop
Seasonal general help (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 15, 2018
Selling video games is a awesome passion to be behind, but many people do not understand them. People either know what or beat around bush asking many or the same question, because they are buying for a child. Over the time i have spent shopping in the store, it is mostly very relaxed.
Pros
Work with video games
Cons
Very busy holidays
Fast paced
Seasonal Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 15, 2018
The environment at GameStop is quite fast paced so you will usually find yourself busy stocking and organizing or getting to help a guest find the best product that suits them.
Pros
Discounts on games
It was just a job
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAOctober 15, 2018
If your a full time college student and need part-time work gamestop has great flexible. I was fortunate enough to have Great store management at my location.
Fun environment to work in.
Order Pull Lead (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXOctober 15, 2018
Up to date warehouse. Weather controlled. Assist with picking and packing merchandise to be loaded onto trucks for either stores or customers. Make sure merchandise is being replenished for assembly line to continue moving. Fun and exciting meetings and gatherings.
Dream come true
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZOctober 15, 2018
I absolutely loved working there it was like a dream come true because I have always wanted to work there it was really fun I had a really good time there
Very production focused organization with little tolerance
Procurement Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXOctober 15, 2018
The focus was so great on production that the stress on the employees was very high. Managers would tell supervisors to coach employees who would tell leads to warn them. After three coachings you were let go.
Pros
Fun place to work for gammers
Cons
Management has little tolerance. Lay offs are common place
Was an easy job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXOctober 13, 2018
Liked working there it was an overall enjoyable experience. Though I did not like how they made me push their membership program once the holidays were over and their pay left much to be desired.
Fun place to work with great people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Arnold, MOOctober 12, 2018
I really loved working here. I loved talking to people about video games. I got to relate to a lot of people and was able to contribute a lot during my time there. the people there were awesome and I love coming back there.
Pros
able to rent preowned games for free for a week, reduced prices on games, long breaks
Its a Gamester but for me it was more.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WAOctober 12, 2018
Working for gamestop was something that I always wanted to do. its a place where you would assume gaming is life; however for me it was interacting with customers and making sure they got the help and exact things they were looking for.
Fun Place to Work; But Not Worthy of a Lifelong Career
Key holder and shift manager (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZOctober 12, 2018
Game stop was very fun to work with and had a great environment but the higherups, particularly the District Manager, do not have a solid head on their shoulders in regards to what it is like to work behind the counter. Most times we were yelled at for not badgering out customers with too much information or questions in order to deive sales (with there being sometimes an up most of 8 or more questions we were required to ask each customer as we were checking them out, including 5 or more additional sales offers that usually did nothing more than annoy our guests). Furthermore it is rather difficult to feel appreciated when your pay does not reflect the amount of work you do: I lost 3 well earned raises when minimum wage increased and our DM refused to adjust the pay for high leveled employees in reflection, and as a result was being paid the same amount as the entry level employees even though I was a shift manager. When I eventually resigned I was making only 50 cents more than those I was managing, whereas before minimum wage increased I had been making almost 2 dollars more. The company is also very hands off if you want to transfer; as I discovered in the process of trying to do so. They leave it up to you to find a new store who wants you as well as to convince this new store to give you the same position you had at the old. I ended up not being able to work for this companybanymore when, after almost 3 years of being a shift supervisor, I was offered only the seasonal or entry level work at another location (which would have knocked my pay right back down to minimum wage).  more...

In the end I enjoyed working at GameStop but they definitely need to change some things and value their employees more.
Pros
discounts on certain items, ability to check out games for free for a certain period of time
Cons
No health benefits or benefits really of any kind, DM constantly riding you to drive sales in annoying ways, little to no pay raises or adjustments in times of nationwide wage changes
Gamestop is a great place to work with the right leadership.
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAOctober 11, 2018
Poor management will kill any drive or motivation in a workplace, and Gamestop is a prime example of this. I left because I couldn't work for someone who only looked out for them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GameStop. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K
42K
31.7K

See reviews about

Diversity score

68out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at GameStop.

Powered by Comparably