GameStop Employee Reviews

Found 6,902 reviews matching the search See all 7,184 reviews
Promoted from warehouse to corporate.
Sales Auditor (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXMarch 21, 2019
I loved working for GameStop. While starting out as a temp, I was then hired on as a full time employee. After spending two years in the warehouse, I was then hired on in their corporate office.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
none.
Pretty good for a first time job
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK 73134March 21, 2019
Overall, it was fine, just a little boring at times. The job ranged from cash handling to sales, to game organization. Management was very good and the workplace culture was very fun.
Productive and great staff and co workers
Data Entry Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXMarch 21, 2019
A typical day consisted of receiving and entering orders in the system. Assisting customers with their order status by phone and by email. I learned about the industry of gaming, and let me tell you the gamers take their stuff serious for sure!
Management was amazing, My boss was kind and respectful to everyone, but expected our work to be done every day before we left the office. I had great co-workers that taught me the ropes when I first started the job. Everyone worked together and it was just an overall wonderful experience. The hardest part of the job was on occasion there would be an upset customer calling about his order status and their package had not been shipped yet. My staff and I handled the situation with respect and understanding and 9 out of 10 times, the customer was satisfied by the end of the call. At the end of the day, I felt really good and confident in my daily job ability. The most enjoyable part of the job was taking care of customers, and putting myself in their shoes when they were upset or frustrated to help them understand the process. I really enjoyed this job and was sad to leave, but I was 8 months pregnant when I left to get ready to have my baby and then it just felt like the time in my life where I needed to stay at home and raise my children.
Pros
Great staff, decent pay (at the time), good benefits, fun environment
fun job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Yakima, WAMarch 20, 2019
Fun place to work, your not likely to really earn enough to live on but great as a second job or work while going to school ect
Not really a whole lote to say past that, they tened to stress a bit much on sales but such is the norm for retail jobs.
Pros
flexible hours fun environment
Cons
low pay, few hours
Senior Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Clemson, SCMarch 20, 2019
If your Gamestop is located in a high traffic area, such as a college town, you are bound to have a wide variety of people to come in.
I am in charge of operating a Point of Sale and making sure all guests leave happy.
If you love video games, work here
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Audubon, NJMarch 20, 2019
If you love video games, work there. Other than that, it was not a great work environment at all. The job was boring, the upper management was not friendly at all
Low advancement opportunity
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMarch 20, 2019
Low pay and little opportunity for advancement. The company claims to care about their employees but does not provide them with appropriate amounts of hours to complete required work. Management is often bogged down with pointless tasks and their selling culture model requires staff to shove a tablet in peoples faces the second they walk into the door. Customer interaction varies based on location but are the majority of the reason management stays with the company as long as they do.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay, benefits, overloaded with tasks, not enough hours, too much work for the pay
Okay for Part-Time Work
Guest Associate (Former Employee) –  Keller, TXMarch 20, 2019
Work was very fast-paced so there was very little downtime. Low staff during peak hours was a tiny bit stressful. Hours were hard to come by if you were looking for more than 10-15 a week. Like most places, some of the staff were great people, others less so.

Best part of the job, for me, was organizing the store.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Low Pay
Great Place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAMarch 20, 2019
I'm a gamer and have a decent head for business management. Although the pay was not great, it was competitive to my previous position, I got a lot of free merchandise as a manager and was able to attend events that I would never been able to experience as an outside citizen. As a fan of the industry, this more than made up for the 2% pay discrepancy. I very much enjoyed my superiors (who pushed for excellence while always being open for new thoughts and ideas) and my cohorts (who were always willing to share success) as well as most of the customers I would interact with on a daily basis. If I had not had a passion for the product I would not be so enthusiastic about my time there but I had passion and loved my time there. My biggest complaint is holiday season is complete madness and schedule flexibility is almost non existent but in truth, that is what you should expect in any retail management position.
the hardest part of the job
guest superivsor (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMMarch 20, 2019
the hardest part of the job was i had troubles getting some of the games down when they are to high up for me.. i would have to ask my manger to help me. i loved working there.
Fun environment if you like video games, inconsistent hours.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 19, 2019
GameStop was a really fun job for me as someone who likes video games. My co-workers were fun to work with, and for the most part, the shifts were a breeze. I worked the holidays, so this may have been the reason for it. Once you understand all the processes for doing stuff, it becomes second nature and everything goes smoothly. The hours, however, are incredibly inconsistent. I would work everyday for a week, and then be off for a week.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Little hours
A Decent Place to Work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NY 13815March 19, 2019
The work culture at GameStop is generally enjoyable, and I don't remember things being exceedingly stressful during my time with them. The only stress with the job would generally come from regional management badgering employees to get pre-orders out of customers with every transaction. That being said, the environment itself can be fun, and the vast majority of customers that shop at GameStop are enthusiastic about gaming and are generally a joy to work with. The work/life balance was generally favorable too.
Pros
Good Environment, Good Clientele
Cons
Pre-Orders
low pay, high pressure
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 19, 2019
gamestop pressures their employees to sell every single thing in the store to every single customer, making both customers and employees uncomfortable. Pay is terrible, hours are worse.
Was fun for a while.
Assistant Store Manager/Temp Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Flemington, NJMarch 19, 2019
This was a job right out of college, started as part time keyholder, advanced to assistant manager within a year. After that, became store manager in training, and was terminated for a policy discrepancy.
Calm working environment that lets you play games.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 19, 2019
A typical day would be me honestly chilling. We don't get too many people but we get a good amount in a day. I'm mostly just ringing people up but It's a amazing job.
Fun place to work
Game Advisor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 19, 2019
The work is in a fast paced environment. You enjoy helping the customer and learn more about the game industry every day and the point of sale. The enjoyable part is the discount in games.
It's cool for part-time, but...
KEY HOLDER, SHIFT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2019
It's nice and all, especially if you are into the pop-culture and gaming communities, but if you have bills to pay, Game Stop is not a good place to work. The only time it may work out like that is if you work as a manager, maybe an assistant manager.
Pros
Discounts on Games and Controllers
Cons
Competitive with goals, and may be peneliazed for not meeting goals, working hours are flexible, but students remember they close early so class times may cause your hours to suck
Not a bad first job but not a keeper
Game Adviser (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, TNMarch 18, 2019
They want you to be super pushy with things like there reserve list and it makes the over all customer experience lower in quilty not to mention when your busy and having to rush it looks bad on you if you don't push things
Pros
Go to check out games
Cons
Not enough hours
Conditionally okay
Senior Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZMarch 18, 2019
entry level positions: horrible hours (average shift is 3hrs)
shift leader positions: better but not the best

working within the store is okay. you get great customer service and multitasking experience. the team environment is, generally speaking, amazing and welcoming

corporate on the other hand is the worst. aside from horribly restrictive hours, numbers are the only thing that matter in the end.
Relaxing and fun place to work
SGA (Current Employee) –  Herkimer, NYMarch 18, 2019
It is a relaxing and fun place to work. The employee discount is good. But it should not be a main source of income. It would be better suited as a side job.
Pros
Employees discount
Cons
Should be a side job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GameStop. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K
42.2K
31.9K

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

12%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

25%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss