GameStop Employee Reviews

Found 6,543 reviews matching the search See all 6,781 reviews
Great Starting Job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CODecember 1, 2018
I absolutely loved my time at GameStop. The people I worked with and the customers are amazing. The pay is not great and is definitely not enough to live off of unless you live with your parents or receive state assistance. As a manager, my work weeks were long with mandatory overtime and evening shifts. The DM at the time was not very supportive. However, the advancement is there if you work hard and show initiative.
Pros
Discounts, great co-workers, amazing customers
Cons
Aggressive sales, pressure on weekly quotas
Great environment with positive people
Retail manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 25, 2018
Each day was goal-based, often smooth, all while providing quality service. I learned a lot about a store budget and operating a team. A challenging part of the job was handling some of the customer complaints, but the job always got done where they were happy and the company was held to a great standard of integrity. The environment and the regular customers were the best part about coming to work every day.
Pros
Environment, people skills you learn, discounts
Cons
Inconsistency of hours, poor promotions, and wages
Passion driven career
Senior Game Advisor (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INNovember 19, 2018
Having the passion for video games and pop culture is a key factor in having a good work experience with Gamestop. The pay is not good, the benefits for part-time are pretty minimal. However, if you find the right team and have the right manager. Working this job on the weekends is a lot of fun and can be very relaxing. It is a performance heavy company, but as long as you build relationships with customers and be respectful and knowledgeable then the numbers will come.
Pros
Customer base, passion driven enviornment
Cons
Low pay
A great place with a great staff
Senior Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 24, 2018
The typical work day consisted of talking about games and selling them to people. I learned there how to connect with customers, there's always something there that you can talk to someone about. The managers were really helpful and really fun. The hardest part of the job were the hours and the demand to sell pre-owned products, there's always too many people hired so they can't give enough hours and there is the looming need to sell pre-owned.
Manager's with bad attitude
Cashier Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Waynesville, NCNovember 28, 2018
I enjoyed working there for the most part but I didn't know much and even though I'm a gamer myself not everyone knows everything about all games and shouldn't be scolded for it. I was even accused of not providing people with games in the cases even though i did and if they would have just checked security footage they would see I always made sure but no one listened to me because the gamestop i worked people who worked seasonal were treated like they were lesser than the other employee's.
Dont do it
Senior Game Advisor|Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 21, 2018
Gamestop has its perks but its really all about how much of a good sales person you can be
Its more of a "commission job" except you dont necessarily get paid in commission money
You dont do your sales or your "Quote" for the day or week
Your hours go bye bye. and your stuck on "Call" until they feel like calling you in

No improvement in Sales pitching when it comes to these games
*ONLY PREOWN SALES* you will not touch a register you will actually demote yourself to just come in and clean the floors and call it a day :/ Management doesn't help they just see numbers and if numbers are bad then your bad and they treat you like garbage
Pros
Weekly Borrow Any Game You Please
Cons
Everything.
I loved my store, but not the higher ups.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 26, 2018
I wanted the best for the store I worked very hard in for 3 years. I worked my way up to Assistant Manager in less than a year. I knew I could have succeeded greatly, but apparently all because I missed a count the week of conference, where I was also short 2 ppl on staff, the new district lead that didn't even have respect enough to meet me in person thought I could not handle it as Store Lead.
So he made a manager from another store take over. I did more for that store than the actual Store Lead before he got fired and was only getting 12/hr. Because that's how much I loved my job even though it was stressful.
Pros
Environment, coworkers, flexibility.
Cons
Demanding numbers/quotas, no compensation
fun work place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Paradise Valley, AZDecember 3, 2018
Regular's were great staff was great Oversaw of all day-to-day processes, Scheduling, Cash Handling, deposits, Inventory, Sales palnnning, Set-up/Take down of ad and promos, planograms, overnight promo launches, shipping, receiving, pawn/trade in, resolving customer complaints, trained, coached and mentored team members. Taking interest in their long-term career growth, holding and attending all company meetings.
Pros
vendor gifts, the Check out system and Discount
Cons
Only con is that they should have a seperate area only for trade's like a Trade Station
Stressful and depressing
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 5, 2018
I was with Gamestop for about 3 years and throughout my time there the company's standards have just gone down the drain. The best part of the job was definitely helping guests and talking with like minded co-workers. However that's where the pros stop. From the lack of proper training to there overly aggressive sales tactics Gamestop just isn't worth it. You make barely over minimum wage and they expect the world from you.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
Horrible hours unless your management and too much grey area in company policies.
Wouldn’t recommend to my worst enemy
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FinlaDecember 13, 2018
The store I was working at were not only hiring more people and cutting our hours for the sole reason of “if one of you get sick, there’s a better chance to get a replacement” they also broke the law, health violations and when complaining about air quality and mold in the work space - the refused to listen.
They paid less than legally obligated, lied not only to the employees, but customers too. Asked us employees to lie to customers just to make sales.

Overall - I would never ever recommend this company to anyone to work or go to as a customer
Pros
-10% employee discounts on physical items, except consoles.
Cons
Everything.
Work there for the benefits and the perks
Video game Sales Associate, Key holder (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WADecember 11, 2018
As most well say, working for a video game store is great. Yet It does have a lot of daily little things you have to do that are important. Counts, E-mails, pricing, cleaning and sorting. Funny as selling video games has been less of a priority and now its all about the extra's to a video game like pre-orders or add-ons. If you can muster your morals enough to constantly pitch that, then you will do fine. If your not a fan of selling something that is not up your ally getting numbers may be hard for you.
Pros
Game check outs. Game discounts. Up to date info on Games
Cons
Your job performance is based on getting reserves and add-ons
Excellent oppurtunity for someone looking for a fun entry level sales job
Game Advisor/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Charlotte, FLDecember 11, 2018
You can really learn a lot from this company when it comes to sales. It can be challenging at times, especially in the retail industry. When the situation arises, you tend to deal with angry parents and disgruntled gamers. Mostly you deal with friendly regular customers and people who are genuinely appreciative of you helping them. The job requires a great deal of multitasking and concentration with meticulous attention to detail.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
It's retail
Great people, terrible company.
guest advisor (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WADecember 11, 2018
I met some of my best friends through my job experience here, especially back when I originally worked in the NJ store. However, when things changed and I moved cross country, the emphasis on sales really amped up. If you don't reach the ridiculous amount of sales required by corporate, your hours get shafted, even if they gave us any hours to work with. Having 4 hours a week at minimum wage doesn't pay rent, or food, or really anything to survive by. It's a fine job if you have something on the side already, but this is absolutely not the first job you want.

I had a lot of fun selling video games and product, because it's really fun for me, but in the end the cons outweighed the pros.
Creative
Sales Associate/Retail Marketing (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 16, 2018
• As the Sales associate, I informed customers on the newest releases in the store, Greet customers, provided assistance in finding their desires, Alphabetize products on shelves so customers can find products easily
• My retail marketing experience included keeping up with current trends and developments by using marketing, advertising and promotional budgets strategies to help GameStop meet their financial goals.
• Our goal was to establish and maintain working relationships with colleagues, staff and external contacts, and to work collaboratively and cooperatively in a professional team environment
Very high pressure sales enviroment
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Blue Springs, MONovember 14, 2018
Most people look down on Gamestop as an evil company, mostly because of the trade values, and how employees are expected to get great numbers. I enjoyed my experience. It was a great environment, I was able to manage my store without feeling like I was under a microscope. The holiday season always brought great stress, but thats any retailer during that period. Being able to work in an environment that I knew a great deal about, and help guests who had no clue, that was very enjoyable.
Pros
Check out policy
Cons
Not having full control of decisions
No Reason to Stay in a Lackluster Environment
Senior Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTNovember 15, 2018
GameStop is a good place to get your feet wet but in no way a place to have a secure job. As a four-year-long employee, there have been multiple times where I have been passed up for a promotion and all for different reasons. This is not a job where you can make it a career. There is little to no room for promotion, if you're liked by the leaders then maybe, if not you stay where you are or they will find a reason to let you go.
Pros
Incentives from game companies
Cons
Short breaks, No paid time off, Short stafed
Entertaining industry to work in, however corporate expectations vs reality are very skewed
Store Leader (Former Employee) –  TennesseeNovember 13, 2018
I loved my job. Until I was robbed at gunpoint 3 times on shifts where I was forced to work alone because the company does not provide proper payroll. Fun and exciting industry. Holiday hours are long and do not allow for work life balance. Now open on Thanksgiving, only closed on Christmas day.
Pros
Free games and consoles, opportunities for advancement up to a Store Management level
Cons
Low payroll, high workload, long hours for store leaders
would not recommend this company to anyone to work for
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pineville, LANovember 12, 2018
I worked for Gamestop for 1 year. Within this time, I was only given up to 25 hours a week during the holidays. The rest of the year, I would be lucky to get 15 hours a week. I was supposed to be trained for a management position, but did not receive it because the manager chose her friends who never worked for the company before over the employees who knew what they were doing. The only part enjoyable about the job was I was selling product I used often to customers who enjoyed the products also.
I love games, but I dislike the workers
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MANovember 15, 2018
GameStop isn't perfect, we all know this, but games are awesome. The issue comes with the workers there. They work too slow and they talk too much when customers need help. It's like they've become comfortable and have almost no drive. Maybe things have changed there since I've last worked there, but as it stands, that's pretty much every GameStop. Also, management always sucks. Always.
Pros
Gamer paradise
Cons
Lazy workers, poor management
Fun for a gamer
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 14, 2018
Game Stop seems like the dream job when you love games and play them all day. Well at Game Stop you'll get the advantage to know about games when they are coming out and take them home. However when in the store all you will ever do is organize the shelf of games over and over from A-Z and check people out as well as put prices on things and do returns. When you are not doing that you get to log in to the computer and take quizzes to earn you bragging points.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GameStop. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K
42.1K
31.7K

See reviews about

Women's ratings

2.6Fairygodboss Score

14%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

25%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss