GameStop Employee Reviews

51.6K
41.9K
31.6K
Found 5,840 reviews matching the search See all 6,055 reviews
Fun place to work for Gamers
Game Advisor/ Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILMay 25, 2018
Gamestop is a seller/resale shop for current generation video games, consoles, accessories, and other video game related merchandise. As a seasonal employee during the holiday season, I was mainly tasked with customer support and making sure the shelves looked okay.
Fun place
Senior Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTMay 25, 2018
I loved it completely. The people, workers, and bosses were great, not to mention the discounts on games, the best thing ever, I wish I could'v'e stayed.
Pros
Discounts, Nice people, Amazing products, Great work environment
Cons
Can be too competitive, Certain bosses and co-workers aren't good
Almost lost my car
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bay Shore, NYMay 25, 2018
I worked for GameStop directly after I was finished with my service in the army. I was given may promises about an hourly salary and hours that I never received and in turn led to me almost loosing my car at the time. My hopes are that if i ever worked for GameStop again the experience would be much better.
A bit of a pain
Senior Game Advisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 25, 2018
It's either very busy or very slow, making completing all the tasks sent down by corporate a bit of a pain. You also have to put in a lot of work with each customer and really have a good understanding of a wide variety of games to ensure that customers go home with something that will make them happy.
Pros
Discounts on games
Cons
District Managers are not policed properly, underpaid
Great part time job, horrible full time job
ASSISTANT STORE LEADER (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDMay 25, 2018
While I enjoyed working with the people I did, both coworkers and guests alike, the corporate management was not a good people to work for. They have way too high expectations while giving stores bare bone hours, just so that the higher ups could continue to make money for themselves. Pay is not good for store managers, and the higher ups blame the stores for every shortcoming that they have. It's hard to sell a preowned game or console when it just makes sense to buy brand new (ie 54.99 for a preowned game that's brand new at 59.99). Corporate management (ie Regional Managers) do not want to take the time to know their stores, whether it's location or staff. They just care about the numbers.
Good company to have worked for
District Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 25, 2018
Overall the experience was good . Associates were eager to learn and work in an environment that they really enjoyed. It was a place where gamers and business were a good match
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Payroll was not sufficient to cover store
Fun place to work short term
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 24, 2018
It is a fun place to work short term, but there is more room for growth within other companies. I did appreciate my time there as I self taught a lot of management skills being placed in the position.
Awful
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 24, 2018
Perhaps not the case everywhere, but certainly under the South Bay SD region district manager once you more into a supervisory position. Often bullied and yelled at, uncompensated for overtime (time was edited by higher ups) despite overwhelming amount of work with never enough hours or manpower. This is the experience at a busier store, supervisory level. Entry level at low traffic stores was a breeze.
Productive workplace to talk and interact with games
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXMay 24, 2018
Work at GameStop was fun, and the other people who worked there were also great! Talking about games with others who have similar interests as you was always enjoyable. It's important to have a basic background knowledge of games.
Active fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Imperial Valley, CAMay 24, 2018
Fast and fun place to work at. Minimum hours to work with, payroll. Great mentors and Managers to guide you. Working here was a great experience, had to manage day to day task. Manage payroll, work schedule.
fun experince
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60643May 24, 2018
job culture was fun, competitive, and great energy. it didn't feel like work because you were able to talk to customers and see what they liked and disliked. having different release parties were also fun.
Fun place to work with room to grow if you work hard enough
Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 24, 2018
A lot more work is involved than just talking about games and selling to people, so go into this company with the expectation of working hard and effectively.
Fun place to get extra money
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMay 23, 2018
Its a fun place if you like games and pop culture. No ill feelings or competition, just fun times had by good people and no issues with any customers unless it involves damage to equipment or something of that nature.
Pros
free games, discounts, flexible hours, fun environment
Cons
job security, location availability.
Gamestop
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAMay 23, 2018
Obviously working at Gamestop requires a good background and involvement inthegaming world, and can help you thrive with your love for the job + training opportunities.
Good People, bad upper management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYMay 23, 2018
This is not a job for people who like video games. The head of this company know next to nothing about video games or how to cater to their fans. That being said, most of the employees are cool, and the store leaders are cool too, but just be ready for upper management to try and push a culture of pushing sales and member's club cards. A larger and larger focus on toys and collectibles is being pushed recently, when the main focus should be making sure games are at the front and center. Also, the in-store programming they have on the TVs is borderline insulting with how much it treats customers like brainless dollar signs.
Pros
Cool co-workers
Cons
Bad business practices
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2018
I learned more about gaming systems & stocking experience
management was fair
i enjoyed being around video games
hardest part was really nothing to be honest
Pros
Discounts of new games
Cons
Short pay
It should be fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Franklin, MAMay 23, 2018
I was so excited to work for GameStop! Who wouldn't be? Unfortunately, it wasn't that great.
I loved my co-workers, but sadly you don't get to work with others very often due to lack of hours provided to the stores. Often times you are alone, there is a large amount of work to do and no real support provided.
They expect you to be pushy. Its bad enough to demand that we push products that aren't always right for that person but there was no reward if you succeeded. No commission, no raises, no incentives of any kind, but hey you might not get fired this week!

There are constant (often last minute) conference calls that you're expected to be on no matter what... SO now you have to do inventory, re-arrange the store (probably for the 2nd or 3rd time this week), handle all in-store customers and phone calls, review security footage, and be on a conference call all while being the only one there.
Pros
Co-workers are great when you get to work with them, employee discount is helpful with lack of pay
Cons
Only managers get hours, way overworked for the pay, no raises or incentives for staff
Fun
Retail Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 23, 2018
Great for a first job but I wouldnt stay there for a career. It seems like there is a limit to how much they are willing to pay employees, even ones that have been there a while. A manager shouldnt need a 2nd job just to get by.
Fun workplace
Guest Advisor/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNMay 23, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to learn more about the GameStop culture. The hardest part of the job is meeting sales goals. Management was not the best.
Ga
Assistant Store Manager / Senior Game Adviser (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMay 23, 2018
Working random hours with no set schedule and unpredictable hours weekly. Pay is minimum with no real benefits other then lower cost of video games and accesories.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GameStop. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.7Fairygodboss Score

17%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

17%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss