GameStop Employee Reviews

31.6K
Found 6,197 reviews matching the search See all 6,422 reviews
Hire me back
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 18, 2018
The managers, the environment, the customers everything about GameStop is amazing I absolutely love working for them. I want to go back and work for them again!
Its a rewarding job
Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 17, 2018
The management is very nice and they really strive to make everyone feel accepted and welcome. It is very laid back yet challenging at the same time. I would definitely recommend working here.
Very Fast Paced, Constantly shifting
High Energy Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 17, 2018
The type of company you work for that caters to tech enthusiasts and those who still honor the child at heart. The best thing about the brand is that they always thrived for evolution. Management, like any other job, is very important. Always SPEAK Up and get to know all departments, everyone’s specialty played a role in your own development.
Pros
Opportunities for travel, prizes and discounts
Cons
Upper Management
Could be worse, but still not great
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 17, 2018
This job is fun at first, but it will literally take everything from you- your free time, your energy, your spirit, just everything. As a teenager or young adult, it's very fun because you are working with people your age, but your employees are teenagers and they (most of the time) don't have a good work ethic. The benefits are pretty amazing, but you have to be ASM or SM to receive them. For someone running a store/business, the pay is way too low for the amount of stress you go through. Everything falls on you. Someone calls out? You have to cover or work a double. Day was busy and couldn't do something that has a deadline? Come in on your day off to finish. A lot of the pressure has to do with management, like the RM wants everything done immediately and has completely unrealistic expectations. Once you reach SM, the next level is DM, which is incredibly hard to get, or go into corporate, which you have to move to Texas for. If you have other job options, I'd go with them instead.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Low pay, no extra payroll, micro managing
GameStop
Manager (Current Employee) –  Grapevine, TXAugust 17, 2018
This is a fast paced company, with many cooks in the kitchen. Task oriented positions are clearly defined and rewarding if you have the right manager.
Pros
Paid benefits
Dissapointing with a significant lack of hours.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 17, 2018
I was overall disappointed with my experience at GameStop. I was rushed through my training and told I would learn mostly on the job, but for 3 weeks after my initial training I was given no hours to work. I was not able to access any training materials or official paperwork after the initial training session. Over the entire holiday season, about 2 months, I was only given about 40 hours of work, which was significantly less than any of my other coworkers. Management seemed extremely overworked, and their duties visibly suffered due to it. I found GameStop's corporate policies of constant up-selling to be a burden on workers and an annoyance to customers. Employee benefits were poorly communicated, with none of the senior workers able to explicitly tell me when certain benefit days occurred. I would not recommend this company to someone with other job options.
Pros
Good Coworker Culture
Cons
Poor Managment, Extremely Low Hours
Great Place To Have Fun
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kalispell, MTAugust 17, 2018
Wonderful Part Time Job unless your a manager or Assistant Manager. The work environment is very caring and really works with you on all your problems, as well as wonderful about giving you a break when needed.
Pros
Fun, Discount
Cons
Awful Pay, Not enough Hours
Worst Job in retail
Senior Game Advisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Eagle Rock, CAAugust 16, 2018
If you wanna get paid minimum wage to sell video games, take people’s used and nasty items, while also babysitting people’s kids running around the store, all while cleaning up all da, then GameStop is your place ☹️
Mixed bag.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 16, 2018
Most days consisted of micromanagement from corporate all the way down to the local district manager. Most sales and other graded metrics for success were undercut by one department or another. A market VP demanding preowned sales while the new merchandise is available $50 less. Marketing elements would often show up halfway through a sale or not at all. Each day I walked through the door feeling like I had 14 hours of work to do and 8 hours to do it in no matter how much was delegated to my amazing team. We constantly beat our sales and pgm yet always felt our jobs were in jeopardy. I always felt that our directives from above left sales associates in a position where they did not some business because they would be "graded" poorly.
Pros
Discounted games
Cons
Unreal expectations with little to no support from upper management
Normal Job Experience
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLAugust 16, 2018
My only issue with this job was how very little I got to work. My week of work was only one day for three or four hours a week. They did not seem to like having few employees work many hours like a normal company would, instead they would hire a group of people and give them very small shifts.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Few hours
Happy but poor.
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 15, 2018
Now I love video games and the culture. The staff at my location is friendly the work is enjoyable if you know about video games.
But GameStop isnt' where I can work. The company hired me on for the christmas season but after 2 weeks my hours were reduced by half. I went an entire week with no work at all.
I did not live far away but whenever a staff member did or could not come I was never called to replace anyone.This downsizing was hurting me so many different ways. I felt useless and betrayed.

I could not grow into the job like I had hoped. I don't feel like I should work for this job again.
Pros
Rent new titles in video games. Best conversations ever!
Cons
The downsizing. I might as well be unemployed and get a check.
This is a great part time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Country Club Hills, ILAugust 15, 2018
This place has a great job culture in which everyone gets along with there co-workers and their customers. Unfortunately the hours are not ideal with sometimes getting only 6 hours a week.
A good place to work if you're a gamer looking for a job within the gaming community.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYAugust 14, 2018
GameStop was a great place to work as a seasonal sales associate. My coworkers at the time are friends I'm still in touch with today. The manager was great at explaining what needed to be done and how best to do it. The hardest part of the job would have to be coming in to work during a midnight release, but those were still fun and rewarding experiences.
A satisfying retail job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAAugust 14, 2018
Well I loved the job just wanted more money but money isn't everything happiness in your job is a big deal and its something I'm looking for now and I just want to have a great job
Pros
Fres games
Cons
Not enough hours for the store
Gaming industry
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Walterboro, SCAugust 14, 2018
Overall health of the company can be better, for salaried positions incentivized promotions were abundant when necessary goal needed to be met. Non salaried job positions had lower expectations and were not paid adequately enough.
I really loved my job here.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Monaca, PAAugust 13, 2018
I really loved my Job as a Store Manager and really wish I could go back, but some of the upper Management doesn't allow for you to come back after you leave the company, even when I gave a months notice. I was pretty upset about this, but there's not much I can change. I loved talking about games with people and make them love what they did. Providing entertainment to people was probably one of the best careers I could have held. The sales goals weren't impossible, and the morale was overall really good.
Pros
Pay, Time off(full time only). Selling entertainment, benefits, and much more...
Cons
Some of the higher upper management can be a bit, irrational, and you get some bad seed customers, but everyone I worked with, handled them well.
Okay job for temporary ONLY!!
Senior Game Advisor (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 13, 2018
this is a fast-paced job in retail. very low on the frills. The employee discount is not bad and very helpful for gamers. nothing much else to say about it.
Upper management causes the most problems
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CA 93711August 13, 2018
Most of the problems that happened at Gamestop came from upper management. Requiring far to much of the employee without allowing for overtime. Not giving the hours to schedule more employees.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, Store Discounts, Long lunches
Cons
No overtime, No fixed schedules
Good Work environment with manageable goals to reach
Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Winchester, CAAugust 13, 2018
Working at GameStop was a good experience. On an average day, I would help customers find games and make sure they were getting the right game for their needs. I left due to medical issues, but I would return given the opportunity.
Pros
Fun environment, working around things you enjoy
Cons
Can be very fast paced and not meeting quotas can lead to work stress.
Horrible Management
Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fordam, NYAugust 12, 2018
You are an easily replaceable number that is supposed to work long past your scheduled time in order to complete ridiculous tasks that require more people. Absolutely horrible management half of them don't understand their customer they also don't care about their workers or customers. Not to mention the company itself is in hundred upon thousands of dollars in debt and I give it another 15 years until it's bankrupt.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
Too many for me to list here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GameStop. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.7Fairygodboss Score

17%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

17%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss