GameStop

United States9,544 reviews

Found 9,544 reviews matching the searchSee all 10,016 reviews
gamevideogamingstorediscountgamerscustomerconsole

fun, fast paced enviornment

Typical workday is broken down to 20% Store Ops, 20% Visual Merchandising and 60% Guest engagement. You have to have good time management to handle the daily tasks. The hardest part of the job is being accountable for certain things that are not controllable. The best part of the job is mentoring and training. Over the 20+ years I have had many people promoted to the next level. The product mix is great and the culture is fun.

Pros

Free games, systems as a Store Leader

Cons

Turnover seems higher

Terrible Practices

This place will suck the life out of you. There are nice aspects, like getting to talk about video games, freebies, and first dibs on cool stuff sometimes, but it’s not worth it. The pay is poor and management is an absolute joke.

GameStop insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Great co workers, horrible pay

Working here was a blast, the co workers were fantastic. The pay however was abysmal for the work required. There is ample opportunity to move up, but getting a pay raise of 2 dollars more an hour to do triple the work is outrageous.

Can be fun at times but mostly over worked and under paid

Very demanding company with no real incentive to excel. Constantly changing expectations and many very dishonest people in upper management who do not care at all about employees.

Overall great place to work!

I love working at GameStop but the pay is beyond bad… my coworkers are amazing and we always work as a team. The hours are ok if your in a high volume store you’ll get good hours but not as many as one can live on… management in the store is amazing and always has my back and best interest at heart but when you start getting into upper management at the district level and up I can’t say the same they are only out for themselves.

Pros

Employee discount, free gpgs

Cons

PAY!! Hours, upper management, advancement

Expectation versus Reality

Realistically this job, like many others has a lot of things incorporated into it. That I understand completely well. I loved the basics of helping customers, driving sales, and the team I was with. What I didn't enjoy was the higher up culture fostered behind the scenes. A constant slew of negative reinforcement, expectations that weren't realistically achievable, and threats of being let go if you didn't perform to these levels. That mixed with a regular cutting of employee allocation hours, and the store always felt unsecure and understaffed. Frontloaded work and expectations that drive home one reality, you are almost always alone, you are rarely doing enough in their eyes, and you are exhausted. On a store level the exhaustion and unhappiness is throughout due to the low pay, and benefits for the extremely high work flow and expectation. Part timers might only get to work 2 tiny shifts a week and Full time employees with be unloaded on with days of being alone from almost open to close. There is a poor structuring in this business and it needs to be solved to provide higher retention rate of employees of more than 6-12 months. I wouldn't recommend this position or job to most folks because you can get better experience, pay, and work environments almost anywhere else that isn't basic entry level fastfood.

Pros

Fellow employees are great most times and Customer base is enjoyable.

Cons

Read my review to get an idea.

Fun job but payment and schedule is bad

payment , schedule and no one is being helpful about believing that you can make a life working there. In fact, in my poor expierence schedule was like a joke working random hours etc it was more like a good experience to practice things like customer service and learning about games than for payment and a good schedule.

Pros

working in video games environment, people go happy to the store!

Cons

payment, schedule, no progress, nothing to learn, competitive coworkers sometimes

Its decent work, management is great

There's barely anything to do until a customer walks in. Even then they brush you off and you're stuck waiting for something else to do again. Unless there's a bunch of holiday tasks, it really is standing around and waiting for work. You can walk circles around the store looking for something to do and still come up empty handed. Its a 50/50 of coworkers being really obnoxious know it alls or being chill. No in between.

Pros

Unrealistic goals and low pay.

The goals are unrealistic and stressful, the pay is low and barely competes with any of the jobs in the surrounding area. The discount is small and not really worth it. Most of the time if you are a key holder you are working the shift by yourself with no time for a break or to eat. The company rarely recognizes any of the good you do over whatever goes you don't meet. The company often size with the customers over having their employees back. There aren't any benefits for anyone besides store leaders and possibly assistant managers and higher. Often under-staffed.

Not bad at all.

Decent place no real complaints. Could be better but could be worse. I enjoyed most of my time there. A lot of very cool people to work with and meet.

Fun job with poor upper management

Good Guests are fun to talk with and help. Employees for the most part are hard working and are passionate about the products. Lots of relevant perks such as free games and consoles ( for GM's and ASM's ). Inside info on all the latest games and systems. Bad Mostly out of touch, micro managing, poor communicating, weird af upper management. If and when there is solid upper management corporate will find them and term them. Some guests can be challenging to deal with and stores are generally an easy target for theft or robbery.

Overall

Very busy environment. Basic sales expectations with unrealistic goals most of the time. Can be fun depending on upper management understanding the job.

Fun work environment

I started as a game advisor and was assistant manager in 6 months. It's a fun work environment with friendly customers and friendly fellow employees.

It's fine

It depends on the location and who the store lead is, but it can be a good part time job. Some of the policies that come from corporate can be bad though.

Fun but no real room to move up

The job is fun the crew is normally fun but you don't get paid for what you deal with and the hire ups will just push you to sell pro cards and promise promotions and never make good on them. Its unfortunately just not a job you can live off.

Perfect job for college students

This job is very laid back and easy to handle. They are very flexible with your schedule and are very accommodating if something comes up. I love my boss, but I don’t see my coworkers too often as an SGA. As long as you don’t mind being pushy with the promotional material it’s a very easy job.

Corporate is worse than useless

Customers and team can be fun and the product is cool. Day to day operations are often no problem... Except corporate is all take and no give. Expectations go up while systems and tools break down. Multiple mission-critical equipment (printers, tablet, even registers) will break down and they won't be able to get you a working replacement. Will push you to sell orders they can never fulfill and discipline you for letting the customer cancel the order when it never arrives. Stores stay open on the backs of local employees own initiatives (and sometimes out of pocket fixes) and they will never be rewarded for it.

It's a retail job

Unrealistic sales goals and out of touch management. Focus on being pushy salesmen more than genuinely helping guests. Could be a great place to work but the endless drilling over sales metrics wears out most people.

Toxic work environment

Favoritism is ridiculous here and don’t expect to get far working hard. You’ll just get exploited and tossed like garbage if you try to stand up for yourself against poor management who belittles you and is constantly breathing down your neck about unrealistic expectations. Low pay but expected to work like it isn’t.

Strive for numbers

All that was cared about was numbers. Push every deal or sale even when customer didn't want it. Fun at first then came the nightmares. Good for a quick paycheck not for a career

Awful place

No positives all negative they will stress you out about numbers and be completely unrealistic about it. Most the time you'll have people breathing down your neck to accomplish unrealistic goals and underpay you for doing more than is asked.

Common questions about GameStop

Answered by current and former employees at GameStop

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GameStop. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at GameStop.
Powered byComparably