GameStop Employee Reviews

Found 7,216 reviews matching the search See all 7,517 reviews
I loved working for the company just not the manager.
Senior Game Advisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 22, 2019
When I started my first and second managers were amazing. Very helpful and were constantly looking for ways to further their employees career. However, when I moved to a different location, I quickly found that not every manager is as awesome as the ones I had. My last manager was lazy and often took credit for things that I did while attempting to discredit me to the District Manager, after bringing my concerns to the DM he seemed to be unable to help to I felt it was my time to part with the company even though I loved working there.
Great Learning Job
Game Associate/Floor Sales (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 22, 2019
You have the opportunity to gain real world customer service experience, interacting with different situations that can be applied to later in life examples: in a corporate setting, in your personal life, and when being in public. If you love video games and can be passionate about pitching story lines, then this is a great job to work at during college and/or high school!
Fast Paced, and you'll learn a lot about selling Techniques
STORE LEADER (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXJune 21, 2019
Gamestop offered a great opportunity to manage my own Store. I learned a lot about effectively managing a team to produce results in achieving sales goals. I also learned a lot about creating a positive environment so that my team felt comfortable communicating with management, challenge to learn more skills to become successful, and encouraged to progress to the next level.
Company does not care about their employees
Guest Advisor for Gamestop (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJune 21, 2019
Company does not care about their employees, they would rather promote outside hires than people who have already been working for them and are trained. Seems unfair and it's terrible that they penalize employees for poor metrics.
Fun place to work, absolutely not a job option if you plan to live on your own
Seasonal Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJune 21, 2019
For the time I worked for Gamestop, I thoroughly enjoyed it. But minimum wage for maybe 20 hours a week did not cut it for me attempting to live outside of my parent's home and finances. It was a nice side-job paired with my primary. But as a standalone it wasn't worthwhile.
Tough Times
Senior Game Adviser (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 20, 2019
Its a basic upgrade from game adviser. The only difference is you can be in charge of openings, have to count cash at closing, and manage the part timers on how they are doing, If the store is understaffed it can be tough times as there objectives once must hit before leaving and at times I would stay after my shift to make sure the priorities were done.
Fun job with little hours and pay
Senior Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAJune 20, 2019
A typical day here includes neatly cleaning/organizing, taking in Distro, informing guest about upcoming releases, and counting money. I have learned to talk up/sell guests popular titles and accessories. Management is pretty lenient , understanding, and willing to work with your schedule. The workplace culture is fun and exciting but the hours are slim and pay is minimum wage. However working with and helping people who you share commonalities with is pretty cool.
Pros
Flexible schedule, employee discount, and cool collectibles
Cons
minimum wage, low hours and slow days.
The staff makes or breaks it.
Senior Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hinesville, GAJune 20, 2019
Gamestop as a company under pays its employees and sets standards that feel impossible at times. Quotas need to be met, and higher ups don't understand what the employees in the trenches deal with.
The one bright side is if you're lucky enough to work with amazing people the job is fun. Regular customers you build a rapport with make it even better.
So if you enjoy being overworked, underpaid, and under appreciated, Gamestop is the place for you. Oh, and there's a small discount.
Politics
GSA (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJune 20, 2019
The job started okay but things became Political soon after. Store manager was manipulative and didn’t do his job. I would not work for this company again.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short shifts and breaks
You should reconsider
Assistant Manager & Sales Associate, Previously (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 20, 2019
Thought it was my dream job and quickly became my worst....if your a general worker its easy but once you become a Senior Game Adviser or higher the workload they expect to do is too much...I know longer play video games because of this job
Pros
Video Games
Cons
Upper Managment
Great place if it's your first time looking for a job.
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 20, 2019
If you play video games then your half-way there. If your good at video games and can convince other people to play that game then grab an application. It's that easy. As long as you know your consoles, games and accessories you are good to go. They will teach you sales, marketing and inventory management. Great place to start if your new to the workforce.
Pros
Free employee game rentals, discounts on all merchandise, no morning shifts, awesome customers
Cons
Gets kinda boring when its slow
Productive and very fast paced place to work
Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Harwood Heights, ILJune 20, 2019
This was a seasonal job I was really dissapointed for I would probably work 1 day a week, I just thought that if they did not need personal why did they hire me.
Pros
Fast promotion, you learn great skills, fun workplace, a lot of room for growth
Cons
Can be very slow at times, very low hours to start off at.
Fun place to have had worked
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, GAJune 19, 2019
It was a fun place to work. The only thing is the culture was setup to encourage a new entrepreneur spirit in some decisions. It can be conflicting at times because of that.
Pros
Discounts on games and gear, culture, always fun.
Cons
Management hassles, glass ceiling if over qualified.
trash, bad management they get all benefits and hours
Key Holder (Management) (Current Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLJune 19, 2019
Horrible hours even as a key holder (15-17 per week) hours given to managers mainly. Poor management they’re power hungry. Only fun part is working with games & discounts are okay. Can be fired for anything at anytime.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Low pay, low hours, stressful, bad management
Productive and interesting work environment
Assistant Store Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 18, 2019
a typical day a work involved interacting with guests, a 5 minute huddle with the other shift manager, phone operations, and inventory management. hardest part of the job is not spending your entire paycheck there. most enjoyable part for me was checking in inventory, it was like christmas everyday. workplace culture is however you create it.
Pros
Discount of 15 Percent
Cons
short to no breaks
The culture of being cool is what GameStop lives on
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia BeachJune 18, 2019
I enjoyed my time there, for the decade I was there, but it wasn’t all blind. They demand a lot out of their staff, and compensate depressingly little for it.
GameStop lives off the culture of, “being cool”, so you can justify your low pay and high responsibilities.
Pros
Free product from vendors (if you’re the Store Manager)
Cons
Benefits are almost nonexsistant without a hefty amount of pay, you can’t live off it alone, and it feels more fun because it’s games then it actually is in hindsight.
Company standards
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJune 17, 2019
They really dont care. You are just another drone pushing items to customers and upselling them. They will take new games off the shelf so they can make the most money with the used games. Kinda shady.
Just look at the stock prices
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Sulphur Springs, TXJune 17, 2019
As a young boy I always wanted to work for Gamestop. They get you in with promise of many hours and opportunities to advance from within. You can expect 15-20 hours per week on a good week and starting out at $8.50. I'm trying to start a family and save up for future events. Gamestop is not a place to make a career. Corporate has been lying to employee more and more about the state of our company and the security of our jobs. They have cut our benefits and now require us to work on all major holidays (except Christmas).
Pros
My manager was great! get to rent games
Cons
little to no hours, low pay, lied to.
Manager was amazing and made the job worth while. Corprate fired him for giving a dedicated customer an extra workers t-shirt.
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAJune 17, 2019
Only one person ever did anything at a time. For instance: If there was 3 of us on a shift, one person would stock and organize while the other two just sat behind the front desk. That same person would then do all the talking and sales and wouldn't get a sale because of the two people operating both registers.

the Manger at the time was one of the most hard working and loyal people I've ever had the chance to work with. He would do everything and try and get others to do their job, but they knew he couldn't fire them without corporate approval. The manager was on a first name basis with almost all the regulars, and would on occasion give them extra work shirts from years back, or just ones that the rest of us just didn't want and was forced to quit. He had been at that location for over 10 years and had literally watched myself and others grow up.
Nice coworkers but poor management.
Senior Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 17, 2019
Good chance you'll have fun and easy to work with coworkers but pray you get an experienced manager. Policy changes tend be for the worse instead of better. Depending on who your manager is, it'll be "do this or else" or he/she will act like a proper store leader instead of treating you like an underling. Don't make this job you're life, you'll get nothing in return. And if you apply to be a normal Guest Advisor, make sure to have another job with it cause your hours will be awful.
Pros
Free games sometimes, discounts and employees get first pick.
Cons
Inconsistent hours, high turnover rate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GameStop. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K
42.3K
31.9K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at GameStop.

Powered by Comparably