Gannett Employee Reviews

AD Production Sweatshop
Digital Media Designee (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 22, 2018
I would highly recommend to stay away from this company it your an artist. Management will present your ideas and give you little to no credit. If you enjoy not talking to people all day long and being a robot this is a great place for you. No incentive for going above and beyond.

Meetings held on Monday's within just your team management just talks about numbers yet when you ask what they mean they have little to no explanation of why you would want better numbers. Management have no clue what's going on with the company and won't inform it's employees.

You don't receive any type of incentive to go above and beyond. Raises are not based on an individual basis but on a group basis so your ability to move up from doing more ads each day is irrelevant. Sometimes you don't receive raises that year.

It's a great place to work if your looking to do much of nothing with your design career. For the first 6 -7months of this position I was sat at a desk and very rarely talked to.
Pros
Great macs
Cons
Work environment, No growth, High turnover rate, Poor communication
Some parts of Gannett are ok..
BUSINESS SYSTEMS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 20, 2018
Overall, Gannett has been declining for the past 10 years. It continues to make decisions that ultimately will eliminate the paper in print form, and thereby laying off hundreds of people. Most of the decisions made by the CEO's and higher ups in the company are detrimental to the people who work at the sites. And they keep getting thousands of dollars in bonuses at the end of the year. And now, at the end of this year, they are laying off all of the IT personnel to outsource those jobs to a company in India. Terrible place to be right now.
Pros
comparable healthcare, good benefits
Cons
too many bonuses for the higher ups, and too many layoffs, No increase in compensation for 5 years straight., Information about the company is not shared with employees
A sad decline
Designer/Page editor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 29, 2018
I used to love my job but the role I ended with a few years after I started was completely different than the role I was hired for. I was expected to do about 3 times as much work by the end of my run as I was doing at the beginning; I received two raises over the time span each of less than a quarter an hour. The morale in the studio dropped exponentially over the last year and I basically got to the point where I wanted to quit before anyone else on my team could because I wasn't sure I could take on any more work; they've stopped hiring replacements for people who quit. It breaks my heart because I loved my boss and my manager but I got to the point where I dreaded going to work every day.
Pros
Great managers
Cons
Overworked, low pay, bad work-life balance
An energetic environment
Administrative Assistant/Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  110 Fredericks St suite 400 Greenville SC 29607January 3, 2019
The enjoyable part of the job is meeting customers and providing excellent service. Typical day at work is basically the same thing daily sorting mailers, Positive work place attracts happiness and satisfaction. I love my job because everyone is dedicated to the mission and enjoy helping others. Management shows great concerns when dealing with something fragile.
Pros
Free meals occasionally
Cons
Health Benefits
Generous coworkers, management, and great teamwork.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 13, 2018
A typical day at work is getting on the phone and assisting customers with their billing, delivery service, subscriptions, etc. The peak hours are from 8AM-12PM. Management is very understanding if you can’t handle stressful situations easily. Work with them and they can work with you. Can make over $500 in commission. Workplace culture is excellent, food truck on paydays, and other special events. The hardest part of the job is not having control of delivery service. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to turn a frustrated customer into a happy customer.
Pros
Easy commission, management, pay, benefits!!!!
Cons
Short breaks, no control over service
Good place to start a career, hard to move up
Designer I (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 27, 2018
As a newspaper designer, your hours are not the greatest. Our studio had a great workplace culture and my boss is the best in the industry. It's hard to move up, you have to put in heaps of time to make the smallest more forward. Raises are small and done only on a yearly basis.

Work from home is a huge plus.
Pros
work from home, benefits are great
Cons
hard to advance
Great company that is downsizing
Employee (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 10, 2018
Awesome company that is in transition from print. to digital business. Great pay and benefits,, but shrinking job security and opportunities for promotions due to luck of business.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Very little job security
low pay, poor hours
newspaper delivery driver (motor route) (Current Employee) –  Manitowoc, WINovember 18, 2018
low pay, no raise in 20+ years delivering
no benefits, not even a copy of the papers delivered
delivering in the middle of the night.
Deliver no matter what the weather.
Cons
no benifits, low pay, night delivering
Constant Change
Salesforce Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 24, 2018
The company is in a constant state of change and communication needs to be improved. Great benefits and work life flexibility. Ability to work from home.
A Great Place To Work!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJune 25, 2018
I worked 8 hour shifts with commission paid monthly and regular paychecks bi-weekly so I always had money to spare. Work is fast-paced and customers are calling you, so no "call center" vibe. We do have to call out to customer who left messages to be called, not to random "potential customers" who may or may not want us to call. All in all, this is a great place to work if you enjoy assisting and communicating with customers.
Pros
Tons of paid vacation, health benefits & 401K, flexible time off
Cons
current manditory overtime and over 130 newspapers to keep track of
Unorganized, Negative, Unsafe, Does not value employees, terrible management
Assistant District Manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 16, 2018
Gannett is supposed to be a goal oriented company. This job requires long hours, overnight, and risking yourself getting hurt specially when it snows. There are no opportunities for advancement, the pay is not good, and the people are very difficult to work with. A typical day includes tons of driving in dangerous neighborhoods. While this has been an experience that I've never had, the environment is not a welcome one. As a manager, you work in very close quarters with the other managers, and unfortunately this company does not provide management training or require regular evaluations of employees, making it hard to work as a group. Horrible place to work at.
A wonderful call center
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 20, 2018
Anyone that has worked in a call center will tell you they can be stressful. Gannett truly dose a wonderful job of keeping the stress level as low as possible. Gannett’s management and support staff seem to really care about your success, there are challenges as with any company but I never feel overwhelmed or stressed out. The vacation time and benefits are good and the customers although challenging at times are mostly calling about the same thing. This is a great place to work!!
Great Benefits
Training Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 19, 2018
This job was stressful but offered great benefits and commission structures! The commission was good and enough to take care of my family. I would not recommend for people that have low tolerance or stress levels
Gannett is good for those looking to advance in digital
Legal Regionals Clerk (Current Employee) –  Woodland Park, NJSeptember 2, 2018
digital only. print is going out of business so many people are getting laid off. they don't give you much time to look for another job because they don't warn you of your last day
Pros
close to home, flexible, good benefits
Cons
salary could be better
Working for Gannett-Fleming
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FL.May 24, 2018
The hardest part of the job was working with the other consultants who made more money than you.

The head office is in Pennsylvania and those in Florida are a clique by themselves. The direct managers are so far down on the hierarchy, they are basically at the mercy of people who are out of touch with the situations we face in Florida.

This company was the first I have worked with that each division is charged for their expenses.

it was enjoyable to have decent benefits.
Pros
Decent benefits, health & 401K
Cons
Salary does not match up to what other companies are paying
A great place to work but...
N/A (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 12, 2018
I've enjoyed my time at Gannett, but the industry is challenged and job security at Gannett is not what it once was. They've had to let go of a lot of great talent and go younger as well as outsource.
Pros
Flexible schedules, hours, vacation benefits and culture
Cons
Heathcare, job security.
Be careful before accepting the job at this place
Retention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 16, 2018
This company is stressful to work for. The managers take you as a joke and don't to do they jobs. Well there is three supervisors who are great they will do what they have to do to help the next person if they can. They don't promote you only look out for their close friends who has been with the company for 10 plus years. There is nothing to enjoy about this job unless you enjoy being mistreated. They don't give raises.
Pros
Ok Health insurance
Cons
No raises
Good Benefits
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYAugust 3, 2018
This is a good place to work if you want full benefits. Paid time off was one of the best features of this company. Even part time workers were granted a week of PTO.
Cons
No advancement or pay raise.
Okay place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 6, 2018
Okay place to work with okay benefits, management seems a bit out of touch, job security is not great for those looking for long term, 5+ years. Work life balance is a bit below average.
NEWSPAPER CARRIER (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 1, 2018
It is exciting place to work, learn and grow. I love the independant work atmosphere. I would recommend the job to peoplework love working with others.
Pros
Great clients
Cons
No days off or benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gannett. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.1Fairygodboss Score

56%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

60%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss