Gannett Employee Reviews

Great learning opportunity and great culture
Financial Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 14, 2018
Great place to work! Excellent opportunities for continued learning and promotes a positive work-life balance. Mentors with an open-door policy makes it a great place to start out or continue education.
Pros
flexible
Not a fun place to work
Carrier Driver (Former Employee) –  Mesa, arizonaSeptember 13, 2018
The carriers arrive before the heads arrive and wait for the track to arrive. Sometimes we end up waiting for several hours. The for does not open until 1230 am even if the truck has arrived and been unloaded. I do not feel the management cares for the carriers at all.
Pros
Able to fix your hours.
Cons
They do not care.
The industry is dying
Key Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYSeptember 6, 2018
It is sad to see the newspaper industry dying, and I've watched it die. It seems that local, independent newspapers still have a great environment and are doing great things. Sadly, once a big corporation begins to manage many papers spread over a large area, it tends to lose focus and charm. The industry is killing itself honestly, it is hard to break in because it isn't sustainable.
Pros
discounted newspaper
Cons
no security
they don't care about thier employees
pressman (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WISeptember 4, 2018
i worked there for years and liked the job.
i worked with some awfully nice people and enjoyed them.
i was on my feet all day on a concrete floor which was tough on my feet, legs and back.
the company didn't care about the employees.
I nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 2, 2018
Good place to work and my time on the phone is good.
I love the bonus I bonus every month. 1000 or more each month. I love my hours I have the weekend off on Saturday
Pros
Binus6
Cons
Short breaks
Gannett is good for those looking to advance in digital
Legal Regionals Clerk (Current Employee) –  Woodland Park, NJSeptember 2, 2018
digital only. print is going out of business so many people are getting laid off. they don't give you much time to look for another job because they don't warn you of your last day
Pros
close to home, flexible, good benefits
Cons
salary could be better
Worked in circulation, dying industry.
Distribution Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 2, 2018
Appeared to be a great place to work as long as you were not in the delivery area of the business. Constantly pushed to do more with less as the industry continues to dry up.
NEWSPAPER CARRIER (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 1, 2018
It is exciting place to work, learn and grow. I love the independant work atmosphere. I would recommend the job to peoplework love working with others.
Pros
Great clients
Cons
No days off or benefits
Good place to start a career, hard to move up
Designer I (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 27, 2018
As a newspaper designer, your hours are not the greatest. Our studio had a great workplace culture and my boss is the best in the industry. It's hard to move up, you have to put in heaps of time to make the smallest more forward. Raises are small and done only on a yearly basis.

Work from home is a huge plus.
Pros
work from home, benefits are great
Cons
hard to advance
Fine part-time job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 26, 2018
As an administrative worker, my job with Gannett was fine. I didn't feel like I did much. I worked mostly with scheduling and management for the sales team while maintaining the office calls and emails.
Pros
Relaxed manager
Cons
No advancement

Want to know more about Gannett?

Ask a question
Great team, demanding job
Circulation Sales Analyst (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLAugust 24, 2018
Great work culture, but could be demanding due to daily deadlines. Great for entry level job candidates but needs improvement in communication between corporate goals and current community markets.

Best job due to team efforts!
Pros
Great team.
Cons
Communication between Management Deparment and Customer Service team
Terrible place to work the last year
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 21, 2018
I loved my job for the first few years but in recent years they have made structure changes and nobody knew if they would have a job each day. Layoffs came around all the time and for no reason. No communication with staff.
Pros
Pto, coworkers
Cons
New Management
Amazing people with a tireless work ethic
Market Sales & Distribution Director (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIAugust 16, 2018
The people are talented and very committed. Strong worth ethic and solid team performance. The most loyal and dedicated and hard working team you'd ever be surrounded by.
Unorganized, Negative, Unsafe, Does not value employees, terrible management
Assistant District Manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 16, 2018
Gannett is supposed to be a goal oriented company. This job requires long hours, overnight, and risking yourself getting hurt specially when it snows. There are no opportunities for advancement, the pay is not good, and the people are very difficult to work with. A typical day includes tons of driving in dangerous neighborhoods. While this has been an experience that I've never had, the environment is not a welcome one. As a manager, you work in very close quarters with the other managers, and unfortunately this company does not provide management training or require regular evaluations of employees, making it hard to work as a group. Horrible place to work at.
Although a good company to work for in the past no future.
Distribution Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home, ARAugust 16, 2018
The newspaper industry has been good over the years, but people are switching to other avenues for their news. In a panic to try and stay profitable, they have made a number of blunders recently and tossed loyalty to the employees out the window. watched many long term employees walked out the door with not so much as a good bye.
Cons
no future
hard working environment
press operator trainee (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAAugust 15, 2018
this was an awesome job it taught me a lot about working in a teamwork based environment and about being accountable for my work because i had to make meaningful contributions each day.
Pros
great job
Cons
company went out of business
A solid job, but little opportunity for advancement or development
Graphic Arist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 12, 2018
After working at Gannet Imaging and Ad Design Center for over a year I became really disappointed that a company of this size had no clear pathways for advancement or professional development. While I appreciate Gannett's editorial work and find the Des Moines Register credible and important, I can not reconcile this with the terrible experience I had working in the Ad department. We worked around 50 hours each week. My group of recruits were placed on the night shift and within 6 months three quarters of the group had quit. Feeling burnt out, without purpose, and with no chance of moving to work more reasonable hours or receive further training, I had to leave as well for something that would be more fulfilling. Unfortunately, the GIADC does not let designers keep images of their work for portfolios or give recommendations to future employers.
Pros
health insurance, Pto, reasonable wages
Cons
Mandatory overtime, night shift hours, poor employee morale, few advancement opportunities
Don't Even Bother Applying To Work Here
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Alexabdria LaAugust 12, 2018
This is the most unorganized place you might ever work for. I have been employed as a delivery driver. Once you start they try to explain the pros but not so much the cons of the place. Every morning i would deliver the paper the truck drops them you get them count and throw. Trouble is they never give the accurate amount of papers so you are always short and when you tell management they don't care but when the customer complains then its a problem when you have already told them you were short. Paperwork is not right you have to double check when someone doesn't want a paper but sometimes they send out a misprint for what the customer is suppose to get but when the customer calls management they blane it all on you. Truck issues if the truck break done it slows down the route and obviously its no back up plan so you may sit waiting for a truck for hours and no one from management lets you know the truck will be late you just stay up at 1am waiting until 4 am for the truck to come which is hours you could have been sleeping. If someone else comes with the papers from the office they always send someone who don't know how to distribute the accurate amount for your route. Management is a joke they don't resolve any issues you complain about to try to help things run smoother. They also make promises that they never keep management does not respond to calls or texts on purpose. Inserts are always missing other papers its to many instructions as to time of delivery on specified houses and where exactly to throw the paper besides just on the drive way. Also if you short papers  more... its deducted from pay and if a customers says they did not get a paper when you know you threw it but if its not in the specified place they asked because they may have parked cars in the way or weather conditions prevent you from placing it there management doesn't call and ask you what happen they just deduct it from pay. The customers are soooo use to getting credit even wgen they have a good carrier they complain and get credited. You can not vacation unless you have a replacement but by the time you pay a replacement you can't vacation. It would be nice if all the things I listed could be reviewed and fixed other than that this place may never keep good workers because they run them away.  less
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Management, not enough materials, little pay, truck arrival normally late, no communication, little pay.
Management (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 11, 2018
Rewarding work. Good people. Good pay. Long hours. Some egos. Since of community and contribution. Proud to say where I work and who I work for. That's all I've got.
Pros
Advancement opportunity
Its not for everyone
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 8, 2018
Delivering newspapers sounds easy but it's not. It low pay, no time off without having to pay someone and can be very stressful. Gannett does not seem to care enough to keep carriers happy so that they will stay.
Pros
A few hours every night
Cons
No time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gannett. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

51out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Gannett.

Powered by Comparably