Gannett

Gannett Employee Reviews

United States1,079 reviews

Found 1,079 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,084 reviews
newspaperdigitalgannetprintmediumpapernewsdying

Challenging environment transitioning print media to digital

You need to have a fast paced mentality and willing to work independently. The greatest challenge is overcoming print media revenue decline with new digital revenue

Pros

Benefits, pay, stock

Cons

Overcoming revenue shortfalls for print media

Run away

Was alright before gatehouse merger, since then it's layoffs every couple months, increasing workload, no opportunities for advancement, and if you do get a pay upgrade, you're more likely to get the next round of layoffs

Gannett insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

Low wages, years with no raises

Underpaid, understaffed, no work/life balance now, ( mandatory OT without notice) years without raises… burnout. Horrible hours. Loss of quality workers makes it worse for those loyal worker still there.

What is the best part of working at the company?The amount of vacation time availableWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?The amount of time they spend cutting jobs and heaping more work on fewer workers.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?The people that work here are genuinely nice. The culture however is passive aggressively toxic. They promise the opportunity to train on the job, but the workload demands never allow enough time for training to be completed.

Enjoyed working with the people but the management went downhill.

Decent benefits, not great pay with very few opportunities to receive minuscule raises. Company keeps moving work around to different locations which is causing job losses for many and in return overworking employees that have to take on the new workload with no pay increase.

Great

Has benefits, good first job. I like my managers and I think it offers a lot when you start in the field. 401k, vacation, sick days, health, dental, and discounts

Fun, creative work devolved into abject misery

Everything that was good about the design studio was erased due to cost-cutting measures. We were overworked and understaffed, and of course we were underpaid. The message from higher-ups was consistently "we're all suffering together" in order to deflect questions and criticism. Save for a few shining exceptions, managers were some of the most selfish and craven individuals I have ever encountered. Departments outside the design studio seemed overall much happier, which made our own mistreatment seem that much worse.

Great company over all

Wonderful company to work for. There was some struggles but, over all really enjoyed my job. Working there was awesome. I really don’t know what else to say, training was helpful and team was great.

What is the best part of working at the company?Good benfitsWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Newspapers dwindling in print circulation.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Culture id warm and open minded.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Handled print and digital customer service department

Today's lifestyle work trends didn't exist 40 years ago

I began working for Gannett 40 years ago and left 30 years ago. Most of today's situations didn't exist back then so it was very difficult to do this survey

Ask too much of salary employees

A recent hiring freeze and layoffs caused us to "manage with existing resources," which means for managers taking on more responsibilities and high amount of work hours.

Good working environment, no raises

Good working environment with good people. Everyone is dedicated to putting out a good product. Morale is pretty good, although there are never any pay increases.

Pros

Working environment, good people to work with, good benefits

Cons

No pay increases

Work environment was fine however industry declines have forced ongoing staff reductions.

I spent many years with Gannett. I mostly enjoyed my work there. In my most recent role my team and boss were great to work with. The work was generally rewarding. Newspapers bring value local communities. Unfortunately the industry continues to be in decline and as a result they're regularly reducing staff. That is very likely to continue.

What is the best part of working at the company?That they allowed me so much creativity in my writing and gave me frequent assignments.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The occasional short-notice deadlines, though I could handle them very well.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very good; I could work remotely all the time.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Making an onsite visit to a property for sale that I'm writing about, then going home or to a library and writing the story.

Innovative with room for improvement

Gannett is like many other companies where bottom line is most important vs culture and retention. Innovative tools but launch initiatives quickly without vetting.

Good coworkers but hard to advance

It's good experience to have on a resume, but it's difficult to climb within the company and over plenty of years I hardly received any raises. The people I worked with and the benefits are the only good thing about working here.

Procedures are hard to come by, managers don’t know how to do their staffs jobs so questions are seldom answered.

Worst company I have ever worked for. They are deceptive, do not care about their customer service and would sell their souls to advance. Everyone competes to keep their job resulting in a ton of redundancies. Poorly managed departments.

Poor Pay, Mis-management

Worked for Gannett as a freelance writer, the pay was terrible and never knew who was in charge.....they kept changing editor/publishers at the papers I helped with......if you had an issue you never knew who to contact......

Great co-workers, management does not respond

I enjoyed my co-workers. Management is scattered all over the US. Jobs are remote because of COVID. Management does not help or respond in a timely manner.Senior Management in Commercial Sales is awful.No motivation. In your face, but nothing to back it up.Too much job responsibility for the wages they offer.This is not a stable company. They continue to have layoffs. They do not layoff according to seniority; they layoff if you are an expense to them. Terrible layoff judgments of good employees.

Pros

hour lunches, remote job

Cons

Poor management

great team and love working remotely

great HR and great team. They offer a lot of training and resources for career growth. I love the company's culture and leadership so far. Starting Salary is not the best but you can make it work.

Co has survived many years. Must be doing something right

Even with the numerous industry changes that happened. GCI truly does have a stable structure and work environment. Anyone there remains there because they believe in the product and the mission.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gannett. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight