Gannett Employee Reviews

Great company that is downsizing
Employee (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 10, 2018
Awesome company that is in transition from print. to digital business. Great pay and benefits,, but shrinking job security and opportunities for promotions due to luck of business.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Very little job security
Lost revenue and lose of jobs
HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 10, 2018
Unfortunately, the newspaper industry has lost market share and has been downsizing for several years. Many of my friends and co-workers lost their jobs after I left.
Pros
Great offices, good security/safety, ice cream cakes for birthdays
Cons
Pay
The worst place to work
Carrier Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 7, 2018
yes they will hire anyone as long as you have a car they do not do background checks. You work all year round no off days no sick days. its to much wear and tear on you car to be honest most of the money you make is really going back to the job. No reimbursement on gas and you stuck with any repair your car need. When you calculate it you really no making no profit. money gets taking out you check if a customer complain about anything. Even if know for a fact you throw it at that house they need proof its not like you going to record over 200+ house to show that you are really throwing it. You have to pay for your own bags which they are very expensive. The job is not safe I had got chase by random car and it didn't only happen to me. Do not provide with LOGO'S for your car.truck come late all the time. This a job if you really cant find a job and you need something for the moment and if you don"t have a life.
Pros
Cons
no off days, poor management, no security, everything about it
Great lessons learned about the industry
NEWS- LEADER (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 30, 2018
Nice place to work.
I learned a lot about the news paper industry and how to sell to the environment I was in. Springfield is a small town, so I had to use tactics that were altered to how people purchase advertising in that kind of town. Great growing experience.
Pros
Positive team
Cons
Too many hours worked
Constant Change
Salesforce Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 24, 2018
The company is in a constant state of change and communication needs to be improved. Great benefits and work life flexibility. Ability to work from home.
Easy if you understand direction.
Courier Post (Current Employee) –  Paulsboro, NJOctober 20, 2018
5 hours or less.
All night work hard to get in these days.
If you're trained by the right people and habe common sense this job is really easy. Some product harder than others.
Pros
Easy
Cons
No shifts
very busy place to work
General Labor (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, NYOctober 20, 2018
when the machines were running good it was a fast paced work area. management was excellent. hardest part of the job was keeping up when the papers came out of the machine.
Pros
n/a
Cons
short hours--low pay
work at your own pace
Courier (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 18, 2018
Learning the routes is a bit time staking, But once you learn your route it's a breeze. You can get your papers delivered in a timely fashion, you won't have any problems.
Pros
work at your pace
Cons
7 days a week 365 days a year, no days off
Work was ok but not the best to work there
Inside Sales Rep (ISR) (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 17, 2018
Work was good but great training with the job. Goal was hard to reach and sometimes unrealistic. would not recommend for friends or family to work there.
My Review
Lead Designer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46225October 16, 2018
Due to working at this place I would not like to disclose any information. This means the job is neither bad or good. Continue on with your search and good luck.
good work
Courier journal mail room (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 15, 2018
loved the job cant complain about anything helped with my work time the workers are friendly in most likely helpful to anyone that comes in contact with them
Pros
breaks
Cons
not many
Work Life Balance, Great Leaders
Senior Executive Recruiter (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 14, 2018
My favorite job! Our leadership team is incredibly engaging. I enjoyed being challenged in my role, having an opportunity for professional and personal development. The People Team is highly collaborative. Reviews and bonus aligned with the company productivity and revenues. Company is fiscally responsible.
Great place to work for a while.
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 12, 2018
Great place to work. Unfortunately it is in a declining industry, that does not provide for job security. The culture and company mission are great make for enjoyable work.
Stay Away.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 11, 2018
Don't waste your time. The management here is horrible, they treat you like you're irreplaceable, and then when you point our their flaws and want to improve the job. They'll throw you under the bus faster than you can blink. Newspaper Delivery was something I've done my whole life, and in a dying industry, I tried giving it all I could.
If you want to work 12+ hours a day, not have time off, because you'll be working 24/7 with the emails, phone calls and daily problems, if you want to be constantly told that you're not doing your job, and then be told that they made a mistake hiring you and they want to hire REAL District Managers. Then, this is the job for you.

Sad Part is, i loved my job, i truly, genuinely loved it. Unfortunately, I was miserable.

Stay away from the Asheville Market.
Pros
Insurance is decent.
Cons
Thankful for the learning opportunities
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 10, 2018
Turnover at this workplace is horrible. Never felt like one of the group. Thrown right in and expected to get max results from customers that didn't even know who was contacting them.
Pros
Learning new trade, meeting new people
Cons
Training, Poor management
Fun but no consequences
Customer support/Gannet Editor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 9, 2018
Fun place to work when wanting an entry customer service job but managers will blame you for things you were not at fault for and there is favoritism.
Pros
Great insurance/work environment
Cons
job security/no accountability/favoritism
Graphic Artist
Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 4, 2018
Prepare and design ads for Gannett’s various newspapers. Had freedom on the layout and design of the ad. Effectively multi-tasking by managing multiple programs simultaneously, such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator.
Pros
Had the freedom to be creative
Cons
Picky
TIme Time Time
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 3, 2018
start out loading 100s of newspaers ,answers calls TIMED to the sec.,Make calls TIMED to the sec,Create ads TIMED to the sec..When you have to move your station you are TIMED to the sec. When you have to use the restroom you are TIMED to the sec.
More minutes are wasted monitoring your seconds.
upsell ads BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS,etc.etc.
Hardest part was telling people that paper dosent exist anymore.The best part was customers using in print newspapers to reach people that dont have internet
Pros
lunch, breaks, upsells
Cons
Seconds of time measured, low volume, low numbers
Top-notch company
Copy Editor III (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 2, 2018
Gannett has been a good place to work while dealing with the ever-changing media landscape. I've had security, good pay and the opportunity to utilize my skills.
I love working at Gannett
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 1, 2018
Gannett/USA Today is a phenomenal organization. I really have enjoyed every minute I have spent there. In a typical day, I meet with my dev team and with various stakeholders providing updates on what we have going on and when their backlog items can begin being worked on.
Pros
Amazing people, amazing culture, focused on the mission.
Cons
Hard to think of.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gannett. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.1Fairygodboss Score

56%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

60%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss