Gannett
54Below average
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Gannett Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA100 reviews
Challenging environment transitioning print media to digital
You need to have a fast paced mentality and willing to work independently. The greatest challenge is overcoming print media revenue decline with new digital revenue
Pros
Benefits, pay, stock
Cons
Overcoming revenue shortfalls for print media
Great employees to work with
I enjoyed my job, I would usually perform some preventive maintenance on various system that mt department managed. prepare the printing plates for that nights publications
Great place to work but the leadership change is leading to uncertain stability
Great place to work, many employee benefits available. My team interfaced with a lot with company executives. The workplace was of constant change moving from selling print to digital subscriptions. The leadership is still trying to find the right path that will lead to stronger growth without having to sacrifice content and jobs in the process. I would watch from the sidelines until the dust settles on this organization change and leadership has a defined roadmap for revenue growth.
Good company that is in a challenging industry
The company is a long standing entity in the publishing landscape. The business however has been going through intense change and significant revenue challenges.
Contractor
I was a contractor for a new months at Gannett. They company had very rigid structure but it was not bad at all. My only gripe was they did not treat contractors as well as full time employees
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Met management expectations
Worked remotely on a national 6 member L3 team to troubleshoot all sorts of complicated desktop, OS, Office, application, phone and network issues in a 24,000 user population community.
Pros
Great people
Jeans to work
Laid back and great work/life balance. There is plenty of room for growth and development. The pay and job security could be better though. I made it through three rounds of lay-offs in three years
Exceptional Enterprise IT teams who exemplify team work
Gannett is a great place to work, where you have the ability to have hands on experience while working with many teams using leading edge IT technology (hardware and software) to support all Gannett owned newspapers and digital entities.
Difficult business model in today's time
This company is pretty average despite being centered in a down trending print industry that has many layoffs and position attrition. There's still a lot of ...
Productive and fun workplace
The work culture of Gannett was excellent. It was a fun culture with excellent departments that come together several times a year for events. The IT department was a very busy environment with frequent changes in adding additional assignments unannounced that make the work/life balance a struggle sometimes.
I did not enjoy working for this company
I worked for my original company for many years and they were overall good to their contractors. But once Gannett bought the company it very quickly went downhill. Sales started falling and never stopped falling so year after year we made less and less money. Since their contractors only get paid commission you understand how that effected them and why I finally left after sales dropped so much that my income was less than half what I use to make. They did not understand their customers for the business they bought and why sales suffered so badly
The work load was alot easier when they moved to other building but i still missed work and had to leave early do to personal, medical reasons.
They were good to me bc I missed a lot of days and had to leave early quite a bit due to personal/ medical reasons and they didn't fire me. The part time employers get 401k but not as good of benefits as full time such as health ins. Etc.
Fun place to work. Multi cultured environment. Flexible management. Work at home options.
Good place to work as long as the printed newspaper industry lasts. USA Today was an excellent experience for me. I would return to work there at any time.
Can be a great place to work
Can be a great place to work; depends on your team, etc. But they do have quarterly layoffs so it's hard to recommend it to anyone in general. There are pockets of teams that are hiring. Overall it is a very tumultuous industry.
Good quality of work and training
Wish I had never left, good training and fair treatment of employees. A inclusive and family friendly environment for all, open door policy for problems and would recommend for any prospective employees
Pros
first class operation
Newspapers are dying
And so is Gannett. Although I've learned a lot at Gannett, they can't keep revenues up and are struggling financially. They're already outsourcing a lot of their IT dept with people who know nothing about the business and are halfway around the world. I hope that's worth the lower salaries.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
layoffs every few months
Good product good organization
I enjoyed working at Gannett, I was given the opportunity to make income based on my performance had relative autonomy to work and sell product. The goals are clear the cycle is relatively short and the management was very supportive.
Pros
Felxibility
Cons
The company I Interned for six months.
I have earned important skills and developing techniques with good supports. The best skill I earned is working on Ruby on rails. I have got a good experience on presentation and meeting rules.
Work Life Balance, Great Leaders
My favorite job! Our leadership team is incredibly engaging. I enjoyed being challenged in my role, having an opportunity for professional and personal development. The People Team is highly collaborative. Reviews and bonus aligned with the company productivity and revenues. Company is fiscally responsible.
I love working at Gannett
Gannett/USA Today is a phenomenal organization. I really have enjoyed every minute I have spent there. In a typical day, I meet with my dev team and with various stakeholders providing updates on what we have going on and when their backlog items can begin being worked on.
Pros
Amazing people, amazing culture, focused on the mission.
Cons
Hard to think of.
hard working environment
this was an awesome job it taught me a lot about working in a teamwork based environment and about being accountable for my work because i had to make meaningful contributions each day.
Pros
great job
Cons
company went out of business
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gannett. Our community is ready to answer.
2.5
2.8
2.9
Women's ratings

3.4Fairygodboss Score

63%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

38%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.