Gannett

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

Challenging environment transitioning print media to digital

You need to have a fast paced mentality and willing to work independently. The greatest challenge is overcoming print media revenue decline with new digital revenue

Pros

Benefits, pay, stock

Cons

Overcoming revenue shortfalls for print media

Poor job security

Company is trying and failing to become something more than newspaper publishers. Be prepared for poor job security. The people in the newsrooms are passionate, though.

Rewarding

Company is a leader in the field and creates a great work environment. I enjoyed it and was there for over 5 years. I had great managers that were knowledgeable and encouraging.

Could be great if they put in effort for the employees instead of their public face.

This company is very concerned with the image they project. They have many outreach programs to cover every aspect of life, which on the surface is a fantastic thing. However, they neglect the actual working people keeping the company afloat. They have cut staffing to the bone, but have not spread out that compensation. No raise in the last 2 years. No recognition for those who have taken on extra financial burdens to work from home during COVID. Little upward mobility in some positions and large gaps in compensation for the roles.

Pros

Flexibility and trust from immediate managers.

Cons

Lack of help, lack of compensation, Lack of recognition for the work done.

Flexibility

I loved that i was able to work from home during the pandemic and any time one of my kids were sick. The managers really help out the employees and help them advance in their careers.

Pros

remote work

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

No culture, class, or caring for employees.

This was a job that I regularly saw people decide to quit their career choice and try something new, which was constantly disheartening. It had everything to do with this company. I have never worked for a company that overworked, underpaid, under-appreciated, and flat out disregarded the basic human needs for a healthy, both physically and mentally, work setting in our modern era. As a designer, your only responsibility is to function as an ad factory to get those paid ad spots in papers on time. I was fortunate to be offered a job doing the same type of work, for less hours, and double the pay. And that is not hard to find compared to the bare minimum Gannett/GIADC/designIQ will offer its employees. Find anywhere else to work.

Pros

None.

Cons

4-6 hours extra mandatory over time every week. Minimum wage. No breaks/short lunch.

They fired everyone and sent the job over seas

They had certain metrics you have to meet. It was pretty hard because you were dealing with elderly people and trying to convince them to switch over to a digital platform and you had to offer it. Most of the time, we were going chewed out by customers because of delivery issues.

Pros

We got a severance package when we got fired

Cons

They moved our jobs to the Philippines.

It is hard to reach incentives and take time off.

There is hardly ever anytime between calls. Few people receive bonuses each month. Hard to go to the doctor during the day. Often times you must wait over five hours after you start your shift to go to lunch.

Pros

Sometimes you can win taxed gift cards.

Cons

Long time between breaks. Example over 5 hours between start and lunch.

Rewarded for Hard Work

I'm part of a new Events team at Gannett, in existence about a year. While the work can be frustrating, it can also be extremely rewarding. The compensation is more than adequate; I am a salesperson and easily double my base salary due to a terrific commission structure.

Pros

All remote, flexible hours, supportive leadership, sense of camaraderie, terrific compensation

Cons

Work can be stressful and overwhelming, so it's important to strike a work-life balance.

It’s a dying field

I’m just mixed because print journalism is just so clearly dying. Most of my issues stemmed from that. A lot of work, weird hours for little pay. It wasn’t all bad, but there’s greener pastures.

Pros

Fun work environment

Cons

It’s like your constantly on call for no money

Relaxed but poor management

Relaxed place to work but poor management and it’s a huge conglomerate corporation that really only cares about the bottom line. Everyone who works there knows about the “Gannett Bloodletting” where every couple of years a massive amount of people are going to be laid off. Round and round the wheel spins- you may not have a job this year! It was pretty obvious they let go of anyone that was older and had a better paying salary. The employees just keep getting younger and younger….💰

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Unorganized, too much work too little pay

Great management and work culture

Still currently employed, the workdays are enjoyable. Fellow team members are helpful and welcoming, managers are understanding and SO kind, the benefits are amazing, and work/life balance is exceptional.

Pros

Amazing benefits and access to discounted or free advertising.

Cons

Starting pay is a little low.

Could be great

Loved the people I worked with but the company is more interested in mergers than management. Raises are few and far between and rounds of layoffs occur quarterly. That said, if you want to work really hard in a high stress environment for less than you're worth this is the company for you!

Terrible place to work

No growth, industry is failing and it shows in the lack of leadership. Stay away if you can, better places to work to gain experience. Leadership is non existent.

Great people and product. However the constant threat of staff reductions was depressing.

Great vision for the success of the corporation and willingness to take risks to achieve the goal. However extension staff reduction has been the greatest expense cut and great talent has been let go.

Management is friendly and does not micromanage. Knowledgeable co workers make it a breeze to work here. There are times when it is busy but the other days make up for it.

Pros

Vacation

Different. Part office, part warehouse.

It was as you'd expect a newspaper warehouse and office to be. Interesting and both predictable and unpredictable.There's a variety of contractors working the midnight shift picking up papers & prepping their delivery routes and taking directions from employees.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Dying industry

Its well known

You work a ton of Mandatory Over Time and they don't really care if you get to use your Paid Time Off. There's tons of micromanaging going on behind the scenes. They want you to do the work fast and in great quantity, the quality really suffers.

Pros

Its downtown

Cons

No 401K match, Pay to Park, Way to much OT, terrible work life balance, terrible upper management

Difficult place to suceed

Expectations were super unrealistic, with incredible pressure. As a sales person, the solutions and materials were confusing so it was tough to communicate our position in the marketplace clearly.

Pros

- smart people, technology

Cons

- unrealistic expectations, turnover, lack of mgmt support

Unstable and uncaring

Gannett is unstable and unconcerned about its employees. The only real priority is profit and the share holders. The company is making a profit but they are not contributing to our 401 K . REALLY?? We are killing our selves. Managers are only focused the dollars and the accountability for those revenue dollars and are rendered unable to care about staff. It is disheartening.

Pros

Company once had a great reputation

Cons

misguided direction and an 80's micromanagement style

"Diversity" initiative for show

The diversity and inclusion initiative seemed to be for show, as story ideas about marginalized persons were consistently shot down. Further, there was never positive feedback from management, only correspondence when it was something they weren't happy with. With more than 15 years in the field for another company where I'd reached my salary ceiling, I had hoped of upward mobility but after years of remaining stagnant with my salary that was not sustainable, I had to leave.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gannett. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.7
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight