Gap Inc.

• Clear sense of purpose
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues

A Fair Job

My time at GAP Inc. was short, but enjoyable. It could be stressful during rush hours but it was very fun. The management there was very nice, and open to changes. They were very reasonable and willing to work with me.

If you have to work Retail choose Gap

If you love the up and downs of retail then the Gap Family Brand is oneof your employment destinations. I was promoted from a Stock Supervisor to an Assistant Manager in less than three months. I trained a ton of new hires, mastered clothing merchandising, met a bunch of customers who became friends, and developed my management skills.

Pros

Discount, Hours, Flexibility, Styling

Cons

Holidays, Turnover, Mall Loss Prevention

Some late hours and cleaning

I worked selling on the floor. I enjoyed it, but didn't like staying late or coming in early to clean on weekends. I worked in kids section, the clothes were cute and most didn't try them on so that made it easier than the adult side.

Pros

clothing discount

Cons

so much folding

Was an ok place to work

Too many teenagers worked there and didn’t take the job seriously. If working seasonal then you never know what to expect each day. You may work a full day or you may get sent home.

Great place to work!

Varies by team of course, but overall a great place to work! Some of the most competitive benefits in the industry and the company always tries to do the right thing. They could improve in some areas, but are always trying to hear feedback and work on areas employees flag as concern.

Pros

Good benefits, 401k

Cons

Hard to advance

Upper Management has unreasonable Expectations

Along with those unreasonable expectations held by the company and higher management class of employees, the company seems wholly out of touch, and overall 90% of calls taken by the call center could be fixed by small changes to the website, an inclusion of a cancel order request on the official website would drastically decrease workload, along with informing customers.Overall a decent place if you have no intention of trying to break into management or get a reasonable raise.

Pros

Decent wage

Cons

Mandatory Overtime

Fun and productive place

It was okay. I liked the management. But there was so much pressure to sell Gap cards with no compensation. Older career women (Karens) that made it their life career as a sales associate made it very hard to make quota. There was no incentive for us as workers to sell their store credit card. Other than a pat on the back.

Pros

Time off, good for students, great company environment

Cons

Pressure to sell Gap cards

Good place to work, especially if you prefer being independent.

Its not hard to work at Gap. They give you everything you need to know to do your job, and then you are left to do it. You don't have to deal much with others, just focus on yourself. There are bonuses that you can hit depending on your production, which is easy to do and not so much affected by others.

Pros

Flexible

Typical warehouse job

A typical day consisted of sitting on a asssembly line sorting cloths, change I job tasks would be the rare highlight of the day. expect to be bagered to meet your quota depending on the job you are assigne too. if you are offered to learn too use equipment you MUST bager manegment to remind them you must be trained. As a student working here was an absolute nightmare yoou would have to make a choice between school work or sleep.

Pros

- good hourly wage -health benifits

Cons

- No flexible hours -mandatory overtime -

good clothing and discount. Very disorganized brand however

I liked working here for several years only because of the genuine appreciation I had for the brand and its clothes. however, the raises where about ten cents for everyone, you are basically forced to sell a gap credit card, making the company loads of money, but getting no incentive or commission off of it. I was personally very good at selling these cards but after a while i just didnt feel appreciated because management gets paid off of meeting some card quota while the associates getting them don't even get a dollar.

Pros

discount

Cons

organization

Bad place to work

It’s a great job if you enjoy being poor. At review time they think 20 cents an hour is a good increase. At Christmas they give you a $25 dollars gift card from Safeway. They ask you to do more work and offer no additional pay. They tell you it’s “your job” to do it. They send endless emails about how great the company is doing then don’t share anything with employees. They can set up the website to cancel orders like EVERY retailer in the world yet they don’t because they want to keep your money. Computer systems are great if it was 2005. You make more working at McDonald’s. Don’t work there unless you are on the cusp of being homeless. Otherwise avoid it like Covid 19.

Cons

Unfair management and they don’t care about there employees

I would not recommend working here the management is unprofessional and they don’t care to see you grow as a better worker or care about their employees . There only goal is to over work you so the company can have a high system of points and even if you are fast and trying to do your best they find a way to say you’re not doing your best and that why aren’t you going faster like if you’re a robot. It’s so bad that you can’t even sip water or use the restroom they’ll complain that why weren’t you actively working . A job shouldn’t have that type of work environment you should be able to feel like you can grow and achieve better outcomes not feel judged every second on being there and being controlled that you can’t even take a deep breath for one second .

Fun

Great environment to work at. Very friendly. Good management. Loved folding all of the clothes. Loved all of the discounts. Overall an amazing wonderful experience

Pros

Fun

Cons

Too much fun

An okay job if you can handle the hours

The shift goes from 3:15pm to 11:15pm, you clock in, put on a wearable device, and head to the warehouse to pick items. It's a very fast-paced job, at least the picking part of it is. They judge you on how much products you pick per hour, and if your numbers are too low, then they let you go.You get two breaks - a 15 minute break at 6:20pm, and a 25 minute break at 9:15pm.For me, the hardest part of the job was the hours, I'd give this 5 stars if the hours were flexible or if it were a day shift. But if you can handle the late-night shift and appreciate a fast-paced work environment then it's a pretty easy job.

Pros

High pay

Cons

Late hours

Horrible place to work at, worked only 2 hours a day for 2 days a week.

Never will I recommend this job to anyone it was the worse job i have ever had. I love to work and everyone there only worked 2-4 hours max a day for about 2-3 days a week.

Pros

Ac

Cons

Hours

Stocker/ picker/ returns

Overall good place to work, there is a lot of hours during peak season, also you get bonuses during peak session if you don’t miss any of those days, very easy to make extra money if you meet you daily quota supervisors are great!

Pros

Bonuses

Cons

Long shifts no days off during peak but worth it

Nice place to work, good work/life balance

Nice company to work at, they have a very good work/life balance. Compensation could be better, a bit lower than the average salary for a person having my same role.

Pros

Good Work/Life balance, Team

Cons

Salary

Mental health

They care more about letting you get yelled and screamed at as oppose to supporting your mental health while working for them. It is a waste of time!!

The management of the gap outlet is horrible and is the reason as to why their employees do not stay every long. And talk bad about the employees they don’t like and will start to treat them badly. But I love my coworkers make the job for bearable.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Short breaks

Fun and fashionable workplace

Managers can be clueless at times, but it’s at the direction of corporate. Likely to stress about opening Gap credit cards regularly, never mind customers do not express any interest in doing so.

Pros

Really great coworkers. Fun and friendly workplace. Amazing discounts across all their brands.

Cons

Customers can sometimes be a bit much to take.

Amazing culture; great work/life balance

Working at Gap was the most inclusive position I have ever held. It feels more like a family—more like a place you want to be everyday rather than a place you have to be every day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gap Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Gap Inc. with

• Gap Inc.
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?