GAP Ministries Employee Reviews

Great environment to work in. The people just make it that much better.
Warehouse Worker-Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 31, 2019
Never thought I would be to have a chance to volunteer for a company that has such an impact on some of the foster kids live's, There is so much structure in the warehouse that it makes work such a breeze and honestly fun. Team work is all that makes the warehouse work. No just that but communication because if there is a problem we all work together to resolve the issue with little to no problem at all.
Pros
great co-workers, free food
Cons
Volunteer but I love to do it anyway.
Avoid working here
Respite Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 19, 2019
Christian philosophy only in theory, but not in practice. Horrible supervisors and houseparents who are only there to take advantage of the foster care system (charity) and use the resources for their own good. They lack warm, empathy and compassion. This organization is full of discrimination, biases and scapegoats. I couldn’t stand to witness how foster children are treated by some abusive and mean houseparents. The sad thing is that when I reported the maltreatment, the supervisors backed up the houseparents and reversed everything on me. If you like to witness discrimination and psychological maltreatment towards children go and work, there.
Would work for GAP, just not as a Visit Supervisor or Parent Aide
Parent Aide/Visitation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 2, 2019
GAP Ministries is a great organization, however the VS/PA department is poorly ran. The 2 ladies in charge are unorganized, do not communicate amongst themselves, always looks for faults, and expect you to be available 24/7. For a faith based company, it is extremely disappointing that GAP does not do something to change this change this department.
A stressful job but worth it for the good you are doing.
Direct Support Partner (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 28, 2019
A stressful job but worth it for the good you can see beibg done with the kids. Company is very short staffed and the hours are not your typical work hours.
GAP is the word
House Manager Coed / Siblings (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 22, 2019
GAP Ministries has too much going on to be involved in child care. They have a huge outreach that helps an enormous amount of people. This causes issues with the child care part of the organization.
Fraud
Regional manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 15, 2019
Top executives receive high pay as well as their children employed under them. Everyone else in the company is paid well below average pay for the same positions elsewhere. If you ask for a raise they accuse you of being “about the money”. As someone who worked there as one of their star employees for 8 years it broke my heart how they treated other staff. Then came the day that they treated me like everyone else and I too was abandoned by Gap when they removed my insurance in an email the same day I had a medical emergency. They say they are non for profit but they are so very much in it for the money. You can tell by the fact that once foster care homes under them started struggling they abandoned the family style home and close several house to switch to a more lucrative avenue of cooking school and mechanics to train ex-con. A noble cause but their reasoning for doing it had nothing to do with nobility and the foster care homes they still have open, no longer have cable or any recreational funding at all.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Toxic work environment, nepotism, under paid, over worked with no possibility for overtime pay as they hide behind non profit exemptions.
poor management
Group Home Staff (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 24, 2019
employees are discouraged most of the time because of not enough structure and miscommunication by management
if you want a future and a good career don't work at GAP
company takes advantage of you
Cook meals (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 17, 2018
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND WORKING HERE TO ANYONE there is no holiday pay or overtime working over 50 hour weeks. The people you work with are great but management does not care about you at all. you are on call basically 24/7 they expect you to be their whenever they need you.
Pros
People you workwith
Cons
Cold and unfriendly work environment
Parent Aide II (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 9, 2018
The management is not considerate to their employees needs and is extremely unorganized. There is no foundation of teamwork or of effective training..
Pros
Free daily lunch and donations for employees
Cons
Inconsiderate and unorganized management
CHANGES constantly
House Parent (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 8, 2018
GAP was a good place to work most of the time. There was a family environment and the majority of the time people were great. Wish we didnt need to move back east to care for family.
Pros
Christian Atmosphere
Cons
NO comment
Didn't sign up to be a nanny
Family Support (Former Employee) –  Pima County, AZMay 11, 2018
40+ hours completed in a 7-day period. Not a set schedule and rotated among other houses. ON CALL to complete hours and hours are not guaranteed. One week you can work 50 hours and the next week 20 hours. Stressful environment since you would be working with 10 children per house from infants to teens who have some sort of abusive history. Job description sounds amazing since it is a Christian ministry, but the job is purely babysitting. Managers are hard to work with.
Pros
Free lunches, Health Benefits, Full-time
Cons
Hours not guaranteed, management, on call
Stressful Group Home Environment
House Parent (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 4, 2018
Working as a House Parent was extremely stressful. It was a constant barrage of appointments and shopping and going out. My wife and I really looked forward to our vacations.
Pros
Enjoy life with kids
Cons
24/7 work environment, Few discipline strategies available to work, mentally unstable children
This was a volunteer and public speaking choice.
Receptionist (Volunteer position) (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJanuary 11, 2018
I am truly grateful, because they taught me office skills that I didn't have. They also improved my self-esteem by having me speak out for others. I thought that I was just going to file and answer phones, but I learned so much more.
Stress free environment
Transportation Driver (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 29, 2017
Faith based and stress free place to work people are friendly and caring. The children are the best part of the day. Lots of fun and good people to be around.
Pros
free lunch and pantry for employees
Cons
no benefits
Medium non-profit functioning at small non-profit standards
Case Aide Visitation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 24, 2017
I wouldn't work their again, but I do love Gap Ministries and the people who work there. It just wasn't run as well as it could have been and sometimes felt way too chaotic to be healthy. Still, that is all normal, and not for everyone and I think they do the best that can with each department. As a case aide, the work was too sporadic and being on call 24/7 just to try to make full time hours as promised is not conducive to a healthy work/life environment. Especially not when getting paid so low and unfairly.
Pros
free food, volunteer hours, community outreach
Cons
Disconnected staff, no job security, no hour security, bad pay, bickering in christian enironment
Great location
Gap Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAMay 7, 2017
It was at a outdoors mall. A great outlet and all. There were many different type of cultures there and you learned a lot from them. Overall it was a nice experience.
GAP is Great
House Parent Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 8, 2016
Anyone that would like to work with children from very diverse backgrounds would love this place. The people are family oriented and very supportive. They are a Christian Organization.
N/a
House Parent for Kid's In Distress Program (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 2, 2016
Rewarding job where you can make a difference in kid's lives. It is hard work but worth it. Children often come from awful situations and you are in position to help them grow and recover, while caring for their daily needs. Good job for the right person.
Church Business
Media Center Technician (Former Employee) –  Conyers, GAMarch 27, 2015
Learned alot. love being in the presence at church and bein around family. i was able to teach other young people also. I learned different things about sound equipment and computers.
A company that provides a fullfilling ministry experience
House Parent (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 15, 2014
As a house parent for GAP Ministries you are responsible for the well being of 10 children that are placed into foster care by CPS. You are responsible for the house budget, give accountability of expenses for food, gas, house expenses and recreation. You are responsible for the ongoing education and spiritual development of the kids. Daily, weekly and monthly reports are written using Microsoft Word and Excel and submitted to our office staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GAP Ministries. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.9InHerSight Score

4.8Personal Development

5.0Career Opportunities

5.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

GAP Ministries Reviews by Location