Gap Employee Reviews

Overall Decent
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 19, 2018
There isn't too much to say about working for Gap. It wasn't a horrible job, and Black Friday was actually a lot of fun to work, but it was just decent. The management was okay, but very much in a clique and if they didn't like you, you were in for a long shift...
Stressful but enjoyable.
SALES ASSOICATE/CASHIER/STOCK (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 18, 2018
Usually my typical day at work is recovery for 4 hours, sometimes I am on cashier. I've learned how to fold and work at a fast pace to close out the store.
enjoyable part of job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  wesalco txOctober 18, 2018
enteractiving with different customers and being able to help them day to day. its a very friendly enviorment also and everyone is so willing to help eachother
Productive but starts to feel stagnant
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2018
I was properly trained from the beginning so I felt comfortable working the sales floor and register. You'll mess up a few times, but managers and coworkers are sometimes always there to help. Managers were cool just except for the fact that there was some miscommunication between them causing confusion for employees. Once they get used to you doing a specific job (ie...register, kids section, stock room work ), they will keep you there for what seems like forever. However, they will offer chances of advancement and more freedom on the register if you show them your ability to work hard and efficient. Biggest annoyance was some customers who held up lines when not getting their way (happened often), but someone is always there to help in these situations. The constant nagging about getting Gap Cards becomes irritating as well. But overall, it's a good job culture with fun coworkers, managers and customers alike.
Pros
Discount, Co workers, Training
Cons
Some customers, Gap Card nagging, feeling stuck
Work day experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Bergen, NJOctober 18, 2018
Very nice chill job, but only for a student with no kids. The pay is very low for the things you have to go through with those customers. Co workers and management are lovely though. I had so much there.
Busy work days w/customers & visuals. I enjoyed working w/co-workers.
Asst Store Manager/Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILOctober 17, 2018
Gap was a fun place to work. Customers were great and co-workers too. The managers moved around from store to store for various reasons, so it was hard to really get too close to them. When I got moved into the Visual department I enjoyed that very much...I went to 4 stores in our district...a different store each day. All in all it was a great place to work.
Pros
Working w/the customers and doing visuals
poor equipment
Seasonal Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAOctober 17, 2018
Constantly dealing with IT issues and putting fires out. No set seating constantly at a new outdated desk with poor operating equipment. Mandatory overtime from November through January.
Cut throat teamwork dead
Merchandise processor (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHOctober 17, 2018
Place has gone down hill. They put in an incentive where your scores effect your monthly bonus. Destroyed teamwork. Made people fight supes about doing the hard jobs that we roate. Made people like me do them more often as a result even though it hurts my back to do all day. Co workers will screw you over in an effort to get higher scores and supes enable it. If you don't have the pto saved up to take a day off even if you have it approved you'll get a point.
Pros
Exercise pays weekly
Cons
Cut throat easy to get points
Productive and fun place to work at
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDOctober 16, 2018
I worked here part-time during summer 2018 and enjoyed my time there throughout. The staff was very nice and friendly yet driven. Everyone was very professional and patient.
Great people, lack of innovation
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 15, 2018
By and large, the biggest pro of my experience at Gap has been the people. Almost everyone is lovely and hardworking, not catty as one might expect from a major apparel company.

The biggest con as of late has been the company's lag in digital innovation and maintaining a data-driven culture. I think there's a desire among middle management to make more advances in these areas, but senior management (across the brands and shared services teams) are not aligning to make the necessary investments in technical and human resources.
informative and fun
Men's Merchandise Manager/ Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 12, 2018
learned a lot, very informative, relatively fast paced, customer oriented. lots of focus on brand credit card. Work load seemed feasible. great benefits
Fun work place but alays professional
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2018
Good place to help you with an everyday lifestyle , they have opportunities for you to level up if you'd like to remain in the retail business. great team.
Pros
a good hour for break, multiple short breaks depending on hours per shift
Cons
not enough people scheduled for the day
busy
Management of cash (Former Employee) –  arundalOctober 11, 2018
gap teaches you how to multi task and making sure areas are cleaned ,helping you become on time and giving you a sense of responsibility . gives you a chance to work with money
Diverse and lively work environment; always something fun going on at Gap HQ
Sr. Project Manager, Sr. Scrum Master (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 11, 2018
Gap, Inc. is a great place to work. I found compensation, including annual bonus (on good years) to be competitive and rewarding. Lots of opportunities to work in different areas (different brands) of the company while delivering IT projects.
Make sure you choose the right brand.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAOctober 10, 2018
Working at a Gap, in my opinion, was better than Old Navy. Also, try to join a store that has a team that knows the brand. When you work for a store that has all new leaders, none of them know what they are doing.
Benefits
Cons
Lots of turnover
Fun place to work
Gap Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2018
It is a great place to work Wonderful starter job. Great pay. Lots of community support. Stores run like clock work. Management can be understanding in helping developing your skills to make sure you get better at your job for upcoming jobs.
Pros
Love my team
Cons
Nothing at this time
Customer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Golden, COOctober 9, 2018
One of the most understaning and compromising jobs ive ever had. To say the least somewhere id work again if I ever were in dire need of a job. Great first job
great leadership and mentorship
employee (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 8, 2018
Company promotes from within. Management coaches employees to aid and enhance their development. Real life learning opportunities through daily implementation of mission and company procedures.
Not bad
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  MonroeOctober 7, 2018
I enjoyed working here however some employees seem to think they were part of management when they weren't, so they didn't know their role, other than that, not bad
Productive and fun working place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, GAOctober 6, 2018
GAP Factory Outlet is a great place to work. The employees are collaborative and hardworking. I enjoyed going to work and being able to work with such talented and caring people. They truly care about the reputation and integrity of the company and drive customer service.
Pros
Casual yet professional environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gap. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K
41.6K

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight