Gap

Based on 1,417 survey responses
What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging

Gap review summary

I enjoy working at Gap because of the friendly working environment. Everyone is nice and easy to get long with and the job is pretty relaxed. The only downside is how pushy management is for cashiers to open credit cards. They also judge your performance based on how many credit cards you open as well as rewards. I do not think that is fair and performance should be judged by how you help and interact with customers.

Official response from Gap

August 8, 2019
Thank you for leaving a review. We understand selling credit cards can be a pain point for some of our store employees. We've rolled out the BRIGHT Rewards Program to help get to know our customers better without the added pressure of signing up for a credit card. Hopefully, this will improve the experience for employees and customers.

This company only cares about the bottom line.

You may think that you are selling fashion to the customers. However, the majority of your job will be spent selling their loyalty program to customers. And if you fail to meet your goal, performance management is the only way they know how to motivate you to perform in loyalty. Not enough payroll to support the needs of the customer.

Poor management and training.

Did not take Covid seriously, and not accommodating to anything going on outside of work. Poor management and training, you basically learn everything on your own

Fun

loved working with gap at this location the team was awesome and friendly they made you want to come back the next day it's just they only want part time employees and don't offer any way to move up or get benefits holidays makes you feel important and needed but once January hits the give you less then 20 hours a week sometime just 2 days a week four hours each day if they don't cut your shift and send you home early

Pros

fun Good team to work with everyone is friendly and positive

Cons

no hours

Alright Company for starters.

Alright company for a first time job or part time. Policy in the company change frequently and in return never benefits the company. Job experience is an up and down like any other retail. Just when it comes to have the holidays you pretty much would have not much hours to work.

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

This company was very fun to work for. The management was very organized and encouraging

This work was very fun. Management was always very encouraging and inspiring. Very happy people. I learned a lot from the managers I worked with. They really make you love your job

Pros

Very fun and flexible

Cons

Low pay

Not a tough job management is ok

Its an okay job. Management isn’t that bad. You learn as you go. You teach yourself. Coworkers are good though they help you if you need it. Location is nice next to stores and food.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Gm

Good work culture. Room for growth.

I improved my sales experience in my job as a sales associate. I like the companys philosophy and mission. I was able to grow from my position and management was very approachable.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

Boring workplace, good pay, zero homelife.

The work is simple, but boring. The pay is good for the work, but expect to work 7 days a week often and even 30+ days in a row in Nov. or Dec. Bad communication from management to workers, and no real room to move up unless you have a degree.

Pros

Good pay, occasional lunches or shirts.

Cons

30+ days without a day off in Nov/Dec, subpar insurance, no communication.

Excellent workplace

Excellent workplace. Because you get to meet people you get to know your customers everybody’s friendly and you know what they want so that’s why l lik

Cons

The warehouse management and culture are not reflective of what I thought GAP stood for.

This has to be the worst job ever. I resigned as fast as I was hired. You work a 10 hour shift without a lunch. You get 3 so-called 20 minute breaks but it takes 5 minutes to walk in each direction from the pick floor to the break room so in reality it's more like a 10 minute break. You get scolded for using the restroom or going to the water fountain or break room for ice. There are so many employees yet not enough work. You are met at the timeclock and forced to clock out and go home and if by chance you do stay, you rarely finish up your whole shift unless you are buddies with the management team or they're afraid of you.

Pros

I never found one which is why I quit.

Cons

Management, mandatory time off, no lunch break

An environment with competing demands leaves you burnt out. The constant restructuring adds work for the same pay.

It's exhausting! This is a burnout culture so plan accordingly, my advice is to only work at this job to gain the experience to move on. The greatest asset is your ability to manage in an environment with competing demands - good luck!

Pros

Retail industry experience, gain personal growth and resilience. Benefits are good (401K, Pto)

Cons

Lack of work-life balance and lack of upper-level support. Compensation also lacks balance.

You end up working 12 days straight a lot.

It's not realy a hard job just boring at times and they have a lot of over time so good money but also you have no life you end up working 12 day in a row with 2 days off just to work 12 again and in peak I end up working a enter month almost and most of those day where 10 or 11 hours shifts.

Pros

Good pay, not to hard, management is ok.

Cons

You some times work 12 day in a row with 2 days off or not enough work sometimes.

It's great I love it

Great place to work I love it good benefits great atmosphere they let you take 15 minute breaks very lenient

Great company with great standards and culture.

Great company with great standards and culture. They treated all the employees around me with respect. The flexibility for a college student or high school student is great.

Not fun

This job is alright for a high school part time job. Although you get the benefits of having a discount and being able to get a feel of what working in retail is like, management was not the best. Sometimes they can get passive aggressive, and even if you’re doing what they tell you too, they’ll never be satisfied.. Unless you get a credit card. Hours are unpredictable and very low, yet they keep hiring more people.. Not a fun job and not worth coming in to only work 10 hours a week when you need more and you only get paid biweekly.

Pros

Discount

Cons

They lack empathy for employees, 4 people walked out in a week do to disrespect from a lead, they have you do there job most the day.

In the interview they tell you they want you do do all these things but , when you actually get hired your not doing what you signed up for. they don’t train you. The manager is gone all day, they talk to you with disrespect on a daily basis. And they tell you there going to promote you but never do. They never offer most of the benefits your told, And they cut shifts everyday if your supposed to get 40 hours you’ll only get ab 15

Pros

nothing

Cons

disrespect. ignores employees and HR, they cut your hours all the time. they cut hours as soon you walk in the door.

Horrible pay managers suck

Horrible pay and the managers only favor the ones they like. They give you the worst schedule and don't care if you would like to not work on weekends.

Pros

Cons

Pay bad, managers rude

Very flexible. You can switch stores out of state pretty easily.

overall a cool job, very flexible. I lived in fl but would visit michigan for the summer and i was able to work at the store in michigan and then come back to fl no problem.

Productive but always a lot of new systems

I worked for the GAP and it's brands for about 12 years. Overall it was a good experience and I got travel around the world. I would say the down side it can be difficult to get promoted.

Great Benifits from DAY 1

Great Job while I was in College. Great benifits. Very flexible with my schedule as well. Loved the management and the co workers. Great employee discount.

Pros

Employee discount, Pto

Cons

Crazy busy during the holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gap. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.1K
2.2K
1.4K

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

86%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

68%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss