Gap

Based on 1,340 survey responses
What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Gap review summary

I enjoy working at Gap because of the friendly working environment. Everyone is nice and easy to get long with and the job is pretty relaxed. The only downside is how pushy management is for cashiers to open credit cards. They also judge your performance based on how many credit cards you open as well as rewards. I do not think that is fair and performance should be judged by how you help and interact with customers.

Official response from Gap

August 8, 2019
Thank you for leaving a review. We understand selling credit cards can be a pain point for some of our store employees. We've rolled out the BRIGHT Rewards Program to help get to know our customers better without the added pressure of signing up for a credit card. Hopefully, this will improve the experience for employees and customers.

Receive company discount for clothing fir my daughter

It’s fine for a single mum but could not raise a family on this. The store gets trashed and filthy on a daily basis. They need professionals to come in to clean.

Pros

Discount off clothes fir my child

Cons

Pay sucks

Good for your first job

My experience working at Gap was okay, coworkers were nice and management was alright. This is a really good job to get some work experience, it taught me to be a lot less nervous and more confident with social interaction. Training was pretty easy as well, hardest part is pushing credit cards and rewards onto customers. The general manager has an attitude sometimes.

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good breaks, nice coworkers

Cons

Pushing credit cards, not enough hours

Horrible

Management played favorites.Wow biased. Stay away froM here. Not a good place to work at whatsoever. Save yourself the time and energy. It’s not worth it.

Job stability if you’re good at what u do

They don’t care really about u as an individual I mean there’s probably over 500 people working there. They just try to hit their daily goals. But their is incentives. Benefits are nice. Work load is not difficult. The interview was at a job fair and that same day u knew u got the job. Overall is was a good experience. Not a career, just a job

Pros

Monthly bonus checks if you’re fast at ur job, free ham or turkey around the holidays

Cons

Short breaks, replaceable, no recognition

Very poor work culture

Pay is ok but work culture is so poor it makes working unbearable. The payed time off is fair but scheduling time off makes that worthless. I would not recommend this company.

Great Company…..Great Job

I so enjoyed working for The Gap. The manager was always accommodating and helpful. Everyone was treated fairly and had fun at work. It was a great environment to work in!!

Pros

Team work and accommodating

Overall a good experience

It was such a fun place to hang out. Never had a dull moment with them. Yes it was crazy at time especially during busy days but it was never boring. Loved it

not my favorite job

Would never work in retail if I can help it. Gap is a good mission minded company, but they put the customers above the employees, and I don't think that's healthy. I worked at Gap Kids, and moms would get mad at you if your store didn't have their kids' sizes, even though it had nothing to do with you. Some of the management was good, while others were abusive. The pay SUCKKKKS, and standing on your feet all day sucks. The good thing is that they give you 15 minute breaks every 2 hours. I moved to a management position pretty quickly, but that job is for the birds. Everything falls on your lap when customers complain, and they will complain about EVERYTHING.

Pros

15 minute breaks, mission minded

Cons

low pay, on your feet all day, customers

Job is what you make it

Working at the sales associate at retail level is obviously the lowest rung, so I cannot speak to corporate culture, but the job was ok. They practiced pretty lean staffing except for Black Friday so expect to do a variety of tasks around the store regardless of where you're placed. Managers were pretty solid, but the store vibe was based off the general manager, so a good manager makes for a fun store and vice versa. There's opportunity to move up "the ladder" but only at store level, sales associate to assistant manager. Don't expect to jump into a corporate job unless you go to school and grind at the job as well. They do allow employee stock purchasing options and material rewards based off a points system tied to behavior and sales goals.

Pros

Flexible Hours

Cons

Work experience depends on manager

Gap At Millenia Mall is the worst environment

$10 per hr. They work you out. micromanage. Morale is low. A bunch of m0rans running this store. Very toxic work environment. They play favoritism.

Cons

Great coworkers, decent benefits, good working environment but poor management and pay.

I worked at Gap for as a summer job just coming out of high school because a couple friends had been working there and recommended it as a fair first job. I found that the interview was relatively easy to answer and very basic (meaning you could search interview questions online and those would likely be the questions you'd be asked). While it was fun, I was one of the only reliably avaliable workers they had so management was often pinning me close to part-time max without overtime. Schedules were wildly different each week and it was, at times, disorienting. I would have a closing a shift one day (between 8-9pm) then I would have shipment the day after (coming in at 6am, waking up roughly an hour earlier). I enjoyed the shipments as it gave me a lot of time to prepare product but the more I worked there, the worse the situation generally got. I mainly worked with shipments and in the fitting rooms so I had a slower experience working than some of my other coworkers that did cash wrap and similar duties. My day-to-day activities ranged anywhere from running go-backs, meeting customers, recovery, and cleaning. Management was nice, but it falls a lot on the general manager. When I was still working there, our general manager left for another workplace and we got one that was charismatic but very hardline on the philosophy of working smarter, not harder. He pushed us hard, trying to get us to speak to customers about signing up for their credit card offerings and GGRs. The most difficult experience I had was likely just working unreasonable hours simply because they just couldn't -

Pros

Free snacks and drinks, discount on partner brands, great coworkers.

Cons

Short breaks, iffy management, bad hour scheduling.

Great place to work during school/college

Very friendly and upbeat work environment, but with average pay. All of the employees and management are supportive and this job does not cause any stress; however, I would not recommend this job to someone as a full-time career. I worked here during school and the hours worked perfectly with my schedule. Definitely nothing to complain about, just often times felt bored during shifts and needed a change.

Nice workers and good pay

Enjoyed working there! It does get quite busy and managers do pressure you to get rewardscredit card. I liked working in the fitting room but it can be hectic at times if you are alone on busy days.

Fun but not good at the "hard" things

As in most retail positions, there are some issues when it comes to hiring especially when it comes to inclusion and bias screening/training. They are provided but on one makes sure that they are viewed and the topics are not brought up even among management team. The company puts on a nice face for other causes like sustainability but is very quick to do things that are counterproductive to their claims. An easy example is the use of all paper bags company-wide however, during the relaunch in 2021 the use of tissue paper to maintain a "high end" look to purchases was suggested. Some stores see well over 800 customers a day. Community Service is also encouraged but more of a background feature that most employees aren't even aware of without a manager showing them the site.

Pros

benefits, performance bonus (annual), contests & events

Cons

many "services" are buried on their company website or restrictively timed

So happy when I left

I was so happy when I finally left. I'm at a job where I much happier and don't have a manager yelling through a walkie every 20 minutes for Gap cards.

Very flexible and great work environment

Great remote positions, very flexible with your hours. When business is slow they offer vto(non paid time off) unless you’d like to apply pto. Can request vto at anytime and depending on business needs they will approve. I’ve only experienced a great experience with management as being reliable assist with any questions and customer concerns when your unsure of what steps to take. Although I have heard depending on your supervisor they might only care about your stats.

Pros

Flexible, remote

Cons

Could have better pay

Overall a great place to work

I learned a lot and overall loved working at Gap. I would work for Gap or any of their sister brands again if I had the opportunity. The job can have high pressure daily to meet a quota for credit card sign-ups. Sometimes you are tasked to do a lot w/ not enough hours or people to get the job done. The people I worked with daily were all great and most customers were good too so that makes the job fun.I liked being challenged and that we had opportunities to learn different sides of the business and to volunteer in our community.

Pros

Pto

Cons

Strong credit card selling culture

I worked here for 16 years and really like the people I worked. I loved when it was busy because it made the day go by quickly. Everyday is different and I was never bored.

Pros

Co-workers, management, cultural, flexible

Cons

Can’t think of anything

Bad place to work. Only cares about credit card.

The only thing Gap cares about is its loyalty program. Harass people to sign up for a card or rewards program. Get your "3 no's". Almost daily conference calls about you credit card results and why you did or didn't achieve the set goal. The calls are literally the same grabge that is said week after week, year after year. Store managers are leaving at an alarming rate. The pressure to focus only on gap cards results gets to be too much. The micro managing of daily tasks and duties has reached new levels of craziness. Everything has a metric and you will be called out on why you are under performing. Join this company at your own risk. They do not care about your wellbeing. Only credit cards and loyalty program.

Pros

Cons

Low pay, maniacal obsession with opening credit cards

Retail is retail.

It was my first serious job. Place was cool, co-workers were cool. Pay is low and benefits are meh. Employee discount is great and works at all branch stores.

Pros

employee discount

Cons

pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gap. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.1K
2.2K
1.3K

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

86%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

68%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss