GardaWorld
51Below average
Here to help: Coronavirus update

GardaWorld Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA35 reviews
great
it is a great job to work for. I would recommend this to everyone
Great Company
My experience with GardaWorld was excellent. I had to deal with their clients and like any profession, you deal with people and try to meet them where they are the best you can. Unfortunately, my time with Garda world was short as Covid-19 began. I had to self Quarantine for my family's sake, as they all had pre-dispositions that would be lethal. Their understanding and handling of the situation was great. I think this company is great, Depending on how good of a guard you are you will be compensated well and work at the best sites, cleanliness, punctuality and good attitude.
enjoyable company to work for
working with Gadaworld provides the flexibility that I need they are a very inclusive company the managers provide assistance when needed the staff are very approachable.
Long hours, no real support from upper staff.
Hard job. Hard hours. Little pay. Hard to advance. Equipment not safe and hard to use. Misleading interviews. Met some interesting people. Would have stayed longer if I had felt respected.
Pros
no pros
Cons
dangerous, unhealthy working conditions
Good Company
Good environment to work. This Company is attentive of their employees and always willing to accommodate them for their needs to the best of their ability
Job seekers rely on your experience.
The company is a good place to work when you are not bothered about benefits
The company has been acquired by GardaWorld. Its changed its nomenclature to Garda World, a much larger company.
Generally, its ok working here. Follow policy
Nice site to work.
I was posted at 1 Discovery Place, Silver Spring, MD. The site was stress free and nice employees. I was mostly involved with access control, giving breaks to officers on post, issue daily access pass, escort guests, unlock closed doors, etc...
Cons
not even a courtesy letter when I lost the job at 1 Discovery Place.
Not a good work place
I feel that Whelan is not a good company to work for. They are not organize they don't help there employees. I'm being laid if on April 1, 2019 and they do not have another site for me to go to. They are not even communicating with me to let me know if they have employment for me. When I talk to management they pretend that they don't know whats going on.
Management Team
The Headquarter office and senior management team are second to none. They continually support us out in the field . Our job is 24/7 security operation and the management team on ground is always there for us. A great company with excellent leadership.
Pros
Excellent Pay
Cons
Being Deployed
Use as stepping stone if you can handle the poor management and long hours
I currently work at the Clarksburg MD branch; I have been with the company for 2 1/2 years and have had 5 different managers in my brief time here. If you are a hard, dedicated worker and value yourself and skills you can provide to a company... take them somewhere else. The manager at this branch is nothing more than a warm body filling a position. If you would like to get into the armed security field you can apply but I will tell you like a wise man told me, "get your gun/wear and carry permit and get out". This job will suck the life out of you and if you have a family that you love and care about don't apply here; my shifts start before the sun comes up and usually ends after the sun has set (no matter if its daylight savings time or not). Some routes have it easy and do enjoy an early clock off time and you'd expect the manager to adjust routes so everyone can have a better day but that doesn't happen, more and more stops keep getting added and no adjustments have been made to assist in making sure the routes are completed in a timely manner. As much as I believe new employees would help our cause, we cannot retain them for more than a month, countless new hires have come and gone most averaging 1-2 weeks. I wish I could transfer to a better branch but even employees from other states that come to help us say that they experience the same things and even have plenty of stories to tell. Please think twice or even a third time before applying to this company, you'll be glad you didn't.
Cons
Poor management, long hours, trucks aren't properly maintained, lack of training, no work/life balance, lazy employees (not all but most).
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at GardaWorld?
Productive environment
This company has the best employee screening process and hiring practice. I do believe that they should be more engaging with their recruits and employees. If you take care of the employees they will take care of the client and the company.
Cons
nobody answers the office phone
Underpaid for field
I don't personally take issue with Whelan, but it needs to be stated that my site specifically is the most underpaid location. The pay does not properly reflect the cost of living for the area at all. Even the locations in Washington, DC start at a $2 higher wage. I also feel that they have a high turnover rate because of this issue, and the result for employees in gaps in overtime when we have shortage of numbers that create a stressful environment.
okay place to work
they don't really work out with people schedule they care more about they service and not they guards in general but overall it is a okay place to work
Productive workplace teamplayers
Security Control Center Technician, I work in the control center Monday- Friday Monitoring Cameras for all Discovery sites, here at the Headquarters and in other stated, I also monitor all alarms that come through, ie, doors held open, imput alarms doors forced open com fails power lost ect. the work environment is good all employees support one another and are team players.
Pros
everything is good
Cons
no complaints
Loved it
I loved this job. I went in knowing it wasn't great and made the most of it. Got to see some cool stuff, meet great people, and even traveled a bit. The trucks are not in the best shape most of the time, and not everyone has a great attitude. If you are willing to make the most of it, the job will be great for you as either a start in a security career, or, at the very least, something in between jobs. But if you start off hating it, you may as well find something else because things don't change often.

I liked most of my managers, and a lot of my coworkers were pretty fun to ride with.
Pros
Exciting, easy, lots of experience, and you can get your gun permit through them
Cons
Management is a coin-flip, it can be stressful, the trucks are usually in rough shape, and the hours are not always predictable.
Not a good place
Not a good place to work for. Management is not doing a good job A lot of turn over. Do not value employees and have favoritism with other employees No means of growth
It's fun working as contract security with Fannie Mae
The hardest part of this job is the fact that you have to patrol a 17 floor building every 30mins of your shift. The enjoyable thing is the proactiveness of the security control center (SCC) which makes the job much easier for us.
Productive and Advanceable
Checking Identification cards of employees and checking in visitors. Walking the building and verifying secured areas, (classified and unclassified). Patrolling the grounds and other two sites.
Pros
Security of employment
security lfe
the company can pay a little more especially if they want officers to shave and upkeep the uniforms up to standards. the company is a good place to get your foot in the door if you are considering law enforcement career.
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
shift work, no overtime
Whelan security working at Discovery Communications
I worked with Whelan at Discovery for 7 years. This has been one of the best jobs I have had. The employees here at discovery are the best and the Discovery management are Great!
Fast paced, results driven environment
If you get your work done and work safely, there will never be a problem. Work gets heavy around the holidays but expectations always remain reasonable.
Management changes frequently.

Alot of responsibility is placed on the driver/messenger. Management can only do so much but safety and security are up to you.
Pros
Guns, Cash, and Trucks - Fun Job
Cons
Frequent changes in management, benefits are expensive
Ask a question about working or interviewing at GardaWorld. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at GardaWorld.