Garden Communities Employee Reviews

Due to garden communities, we have got a good environment.
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, GAJune 12, 2019
To break an egg shell, I like the field of agriculture most. If you are doing this kind of job, you will be always physically feet. I'm a boy aged 23 but if you look at me, I'm looking 18.this work is absolutely amazing to me.
Pros
Free lunchs
Cons
Medical aid card
Poor Upper Management Vision and/or Direction
Contract (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 6, 2019
Upper management lack leadership when they need it most. Their constant indecision on lower management level type issues cause the most headaches on day to day operations.

Constantly lag on the most minute decisions that they themselves will blame on others for the self inflicted problems.

Absolute worst leadership this company has had, better off not even applying.
Lack of management and supervision of leasing office environment
Leasing agent (Former Employee) –  Hamden ctApril 29, 2019
Lack of management and supervision of leasing office environment
No proper training or guidance provided In conjunction with various miss leading information to residence
Subsequently leading to miss confusion and miss information to provide to residence
Pros
Cons
Leasing training will be Provided
No formal training
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge/Clark, NJApril 10, 2019
Clearly the lower management has never had any training in customer service I worked at 2 of their properties Woodbridge & Clark NJ over 55 communities loveliest residents The maintenance managers are feared by the residents and unapproachable. They lack the proper skills and experience in the business to know how to delegate the workload They encourage and instill a negative attitude towards the residents.
Pros
great locations
Cons
I took the job
Production work environment
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mira Mesa, CAFebruary 21, 2019
I loved working for Garden how ever my job was a tempary position. I do wish it was permanent. I enjoyed the fast pace environment. I also enjoyed being apart of Garden.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Temp
Fast paced & frequently changing policies
Procurement Agent/Estimator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2019
A typical day was receiving a need from one of the properties, finding three different vendors/subcontractors to bid on the work, scrutinize their estimates to make sure they were apples to apples, present the cost to the owner for his budget, present that budget to the vendor/sub, negotiate cost, obtain approval for the cost, issue the purchase order, schedule the work, ensure the work was complete and satisfactory, and then approve the invoice.

I learned procurement, how to read plans, how to issue purchase orders and approve invoices, ensure job completion/satisfaction, and how to vet out and set up new vendors and subcontractors.

My direct supervisor was great. He would always check in to see if we had any issues and, if so, he would give direction on how to handle them.

We had several meetings per week, many of which had food catered. The owner is very generous and would raffle off prizes at our weekly management meeting.

The most difficult part of the job was the lack of communication between departments and more often than not two people would be working on the same task without knowing.

Building relationships with the vendors and subcontractors.
Pros
No micromanagement
Cons
Lack of communication between departments & no training
Good for entry level leasing experience.
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 28, 2018
The company is still working through growing pains, it is not run like any other Property Management company and could really use experienced skilled management for the benefit of both employees and the growth of the company.
Great Company
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 5, 2018
I have worked for Garden Communities for 15 years and love it. Great work environment and great coworkers. Company really looks out for its employees
Property Windsor Woods, Princeton NJ
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJAugust 17, 2018
Garden Communities as a whole is a great company. However one of their properties Windsor Woods is the absolute worst one to work at. If you want to deal with a property manager who you have to help do their job on a daily basis, or deal with the head "boss" being a man you cannot have a simple conversation with because they believe they are ABOVE you, than this is the place for you!

They have gone through 7 leasing agents in 5 years due to the fact that management believes they can speak to their employees any way possible. It's company culture that when you choose to leave you tell them the day of, because if you give them notice they will change passwords on the computers and pretty much tell you "don't bother".

Also it is mandatory that you work weekends, however if you go 6 months without having a weekend off and you ask for the first time, expect to be given a lecture about how 'your taking advantage of the company because you knew their policies before starting and weekends are the busiest'.

Overall this is a nightmare of a job due to management, the maintenance team is amazing, but they can not compensate for how frustrating the management team is. Also don't expect a raise, even if your promised one in your interview rounds because you get a quarterly bonus and management will use that as a reason on why to not give you your proper raise. ("you just got a bonus!")

Overall if you want to get into leasing, I advise you look at other rental properties who value all employees, and go above and beyond to make it feel like your apart of a team.
My coworkers and I make the best of it.
Rental Agent (Current Employee) –  Parlin, NJJuly 14, 2018
I love the fact that I help people find a place to live, but when management changes the rules, they do not back up their decisions. So when residents come into the office to yell, scream and curse because they are furious with a new policy that has been implemented, the managers refuse to talk to those tenants. That leaves the rental office open to more and more hostile interactions with the residents.
It’s Gardens Way or the Highway
Leasing Professional (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 24, 2018
Garden is not a horrible place to work if you don’t mind being a “follower”. The make lots of changes all the time and many of them just make things more complicated. You have to watch out for some of the people at the top and in general as it seems everyone in this company loves to throw everyone under the bus rather than take responsibility. Watch out for the many of the regionals, the hiring department and the pricing lady. They make you feel like a valued employee but at the end of the day you will be left feeling disposable, worthless and undervalued if you don’t feel that something is right. There have been many stories and direct experience where if you cross the pricing lady you may as well resign because a termination is sure to follow very shortly after. Over time you will start to notice how many shortcuts they take in just about every aspect of the company and there very much is a “thats what the attorneys are for” mentality when it comes to running things. But if you don’t mind getting on the “garden train” sitting down, shutting up and doing everything the “garden way” and you don’t mind just being a number than you will do just fine!
Pros
Decent Pay, Company Events, Health, Dental & Vision.
Cons
Upper Management, Cooperate Politics, Double Standards, No Responsibilty Taken, No 401k
It's ok...Great leasing consultant starter job
LEASING CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  San Diego caApril 8, 2018
Not much real room for advancement.
Good way to get leasing experience if your interested in property management.
I would recommend but only as a backup...I would go after another company with better overall reviews than GC
Pros
Paid holidays and vacation
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Great company
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 1, 2018
Great company to work for, wish I was still employed with them. Management was always very helpful throughout the years and the leasing agents are very friendly.
Pros
Compensation, Co-Workers, Management
Be Careful
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 8, 2018
Garden at first was a great place to work that seemed like they were on the move to make great things happen. BUT BE WARNED...they are not. The company does offer a somewhat family feel and the owner is willing to work with you should you have family or medical emergencies come up. This company is pretty much run by 4 managers and the pricing lady. Don't make the pricing lady mad or you will be out of a job within a month top. They have a lot of managers there that are stuck in their ways and don't want to try new things or and will shut down your ideas fast.
Pros
Free Breakfast once a week, generous with holidays
Cons
No 401k offered, shady people
Low pay. Its a joke to work for this company. Owners do not care.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  New JerseyNovember 11, 2017
It doesn't matter how long you work there. Pay was a joke. Owner is a bigger joke. Does not know how to run a company or how to treat employees. Stay away.
Pros
Cons
Low pay.
Job security as long as you have a paper trail
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE BOOKKEEPER (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 3, 2017
great place to work for job security as long as you have a paper trail just in case someone wants to throw you under bus which will happen. Owner is very involved and a great person. Keeps a well oiled company going.
different company
PROJECT ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 23, 2017
any time you have a company that is run by one person your going to have problems. To much gossip and interoffice dating does not mix well. there should be more checks and balances for a company this size and sadly it is reflected in the office.
Pros
some very nice people
Cons
too much gossip and your skills are not relied on as much as the gossip
Do not pass go - just turn around and go home.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Old Bridge, NJOctober 16, 2017
This organization will work you to death if you let them. Poor pay, no supplies, no support etc.
They will not let you purchase parts- they expect you to "repair" the broken parts with duct tape.
I went into apartments to try to repair things, however, I just used to contemplate getting out of this nightmare of a job.
The management makes tons of profit but they want it all for themselves.
These people suck.
Pros
I'm gone !!
Cons
Space will not permit.
Don't even think about working here.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Old Bridge, NJOctober 10, 2017
I can only speak for NJ.
If you like working for peanuts, being over worked, and do not want any vacation days or health insurance, then you will feel right at home with this organization.
These people suck.
Plus they make big money, but they don't want to share it.
Pros
I found another job.
Cons
You name it.
Leasing
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJJuly 28, 2017
First off management is a joke! They are nasty, rude and toxic. They don't appreciate their employees and under pay and overwork. This company makes a fortune, how about paying employees the average rate as your competitors?
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Low Pay and Toxic Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Garden Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9