Garden Grove Unified School District Employee Reviews

Family. Stable. Culture. Diverse
UBER INDEPENDENT DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAMay 11, 2018
The best organization I have ever worked for feels like family. The benefits are untouchable, plus the time off and the summers are great. The pay could be better but it is more than most.

It is different than working for a typical IT environment. This is an educational setting, students, teachers, staff, and management. There are budget control and limitations, but a very relaxed and fitting union environment.

This is a very stable district to work for and there is so much pride working for this district.
Pros
benefits, 401k, time off, breaks
Cons
not paid during the summer months
Well-organized district with good compensation
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAMay 7, 2018
This is a very stable, unified district. As a teacher, you are expected to be extremely professional and up-to-date on current education practices. It is a rigorous, but rewarding, career.
Fun and Challenging
Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAMay 5, 2018
Pays better than most districts. Challenging and rewarding job. You never know what your day will bring. Training is okay, could be better. Wonderful coworkers.
Not a bad place to work
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAApril 18, 2018
But don't expect to be able to live on the 5.8 or 3.75 hours they give you. You end up working just an hour shy of being giving benefits. While it is collaborative, people are not shy about nepotism.
Pros
Paid t/o, vacation days, good schedule
Cons
Job advancement can be arbitrary, cant live on the hours
A Great Work Environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAApril 17, 2018
Great staff, great students!! I enjoyed meeting others in the work environment and getting to know them better. Also, I enjoyed the opportunity to be encouraging to the students.
Pros
Flexibility, meaningful work
Cons
Summer employment opportunities unavailable
Cut-throat company culture
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAApril 5, 2018
Extremely controlling management style. Company culture is cut-throat, cut-throat, Cut-throat. No flexibility, you must work at your desk promptly at your starting time or time will be taken out of you leave hours. They count every minute you are to be working.
Great goals, good people
Math and Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAMarch 16, 2018
The mission statement and goals of this school were clearly stated and eagerly shared by almost every employee.

The only reason I left this school was because I wanted to teach higher level mathematics.
Pros
Good goals, good people
Cons
No higher level math options
Diverse working enviroment
School Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Garden GroveMarch 12, 2018
GGUSD serves a diverse population including diverse socio-economic backgrounds. Based on my experience, work always provided opportunities to think outside the box when working with students with diverse learning needs.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Large caseloads
In this job you have to be really carefully, organized, and accurate because working on different product you can get confuse and mess up.
Office clerk (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAJanuary 11, 2018
In this job you have to be really carefully,organized,and accurate because working on different product you can get confuse and mess up. But if you have good technique and skill on that job you will be an excellent worker for this job.
Boss
Central office clerk (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CADecember 18, 2017
My boss was very nice and fair, i really wish they would consider hiring me full time.. the environment was wonderful people were nice. I enjoy their peeks.
Typical Substitute teaching gig
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CADecember 12, 2017
This district is large and varied. If you are looking for lots of experience working with various socio-economic, cultural, and specialist experience, Garden Grove is a great place to learn about teaching.
Pros
variety
Cons
not a dependable source of income
Not many full time positions
Health Aide/Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CADecember 6, 2017
It is a great place to work, I wish I could stay there forever. There are not to many full time positions available. I have been working there for 14 years. I have met awesome people.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Only Part time.
Great workplace and supportive staff
AVID Tutor (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAOctober 31, 2017
I really enjoy working for the Garden Grove School District. The pay is good, but I wish the hours were a little more. I love working with the children there. I feel that I've really been able to make a connection with them and make a difference in their lives.
Pros
Flexible schedules and understanding bosses
Cons
Short breaks and lunches
N/a
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAOctober 26, 2017
I really like working at garden Grove school district very friendly people, they always their when you need help. I like it because it wasn't far from my home.
Fun, fulfilling and rewarding work place!
(SEA) Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAOctober 25, 2017
A typical day at work is; always learning something new to better my performance and work ethic either from a teacher, a co-worker or a student. But, the most rewarding part of my job is working with children and helping them achieve their goals.
Pros
Optional union for job security.
Cons
No health care.
great
Computer Lab Consultant and Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAOctober 11, 2017
great place to work for. great people, fun, learn a lot, and great benefits. really enjoyed working there. would try again if they have openings...
Position under review
Computer Lab Assistant / Instructor (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CASeptember 9, 2017
Working for Garden Grove is been a wonderful experience. The staff are very friendly I like working with all the kids my job is rewarding but there's not enough hours to complete the task that I need to do my job.
Pros
Awesome Staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Ggusd
Intensive Behavior Interventionist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CASeptember 5, 2017
I really love my job and field. The job itself is very straining and difficult. GGUSD can help you create some amazing lifetime relationships but also the opposite. There are lots of cliques and a lot of politics. This can really have an impact on how your day-to-day experience changes. Depending on your supervisor, you may or may not get a say in what happens in the class.
Pros
Great benefits, set for life.
Cons
Politics
Got to know Teachers and students
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CASeptember 1, 2017
I loved my time substitute teaching for Garden Grove Unified. I had a chance to work in many school and teach so many students. I met some really nice teachers that I got put as one of their favorite subs. I worked almost everyday and moved up the pay scale. I was given chances to work long term substitute assignments which I learned a lot and the students were great.
Pros
Got to know teachers and students
Cons
no benefits
Love this job and work for my community
INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAAugust 29, 2017
I was an instructional assistant for children with disabilities and gave me so much pleasure working for this community and be able to help the children with necessities. Getting to know each child was indescribable and such a blessing. Those children change my outlook on life.

The culture was great working for the Unified school district, teachers are people that deserve to be respected and admire for what they do daily in their job.

Hardest part of the job was when the children got sick. and the most enjoyable part was seeing a smile on the child's face
Pros
Hours of work and summer off
Cons
getting attach to the children and they getting sick or relocated