Garmin

Garmin Employee Reviews

Decent Company
Most people are great to work with. There are some backwards and outdated views by those in senior positions. Relatively flexible on work time and time off but not with remote work.
Great benefits decent pay
Benefits are fantastic but unfortunately you can't pay for bills with them be nice if they would match the enthusiasm fir them to the pay scale. Great environment to work in though.
Garmin International
Wonderful company to work for. Excellent management and benefits! HQ in Kansas City is similar to Google. Exercise rooms, cafeteria, thinking zone... extra
Nice place to work.
Good culture, fair compensation, great 401k. Politics gets a bit annoying from time to time, but over all it's a good place to work. Good opportunities for growth.
Great Hardware, Miserable Software, Gatekeeping coworkers
My compensation as an intern was fantastic, and the building I worked in was very modern, comfortable, infinite coffee, etc. HR were very pleasant people.

I shared an office essentially sitting back to back with my supervisor. It was a small box with no windows and those hellish fluorescent lights. I was given a task or two at a time, the location of the software repositories, and the necessary embedded devices to work on.

Their C had no clear organization. No modularity. No consistent coding style. Virtually zero use of comments and no documentation. The "documentation" was asking my supervisor for some, to which the inevitable reply was something along the lines of "Oh so-and-so down the hall wrote that. Walk over and ask him about it." or better yet he'd recite some rat's nest of function calls and files to me as canon.
Pros
Over the top compensation
Cons
Technical debt
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Great people, horrible management, pay, job duties.
Was a great company to work for but no pay or raises. Over worked with amount of duties had to perform. Wanted to give me a promotion with no raise in pay.
Great place for work. Not a great place for pay.
Seems like they consider a great place to work part of the compensation. It is a young company that got really big, really fast. So the structure is very flat and there is little to no room for advancement.
Avoid the Call Center
Unfortunately, the call center has been under bad management for sometime and employees are being treated like robots. Supervisors only want people who are C players. People who show up and do what they are told and don't try to do anything else. They have limited training opportunities to the Salem Call Center, leaving them high and dry for advancement opportunities.
This is a good place to work. The work environment is great and the people are friendly and the teams are more like family. The job has great benefits
Growing too fast and is currently having growing pains
I have seen several high level managers quit (some without another job to go to) due to being blamed for lack of producing when it is obvious they are under-resourced.
Coworkers were great fun, there was an exercise room on site.
Working for Garmin was a great opportunity, I was always treated well, and the pay and benefits were good. It was nice to learn troubleshooting skills that I still use today. The coworkers were the BEST!!! Most of the management team were outstanding!
Strange culture. Coming in to work and working hard doesn't seem to be enough. Need to fit in or you'll get drive out. H R. Very questionable in my op
Amazing effort from top. Unfortunately HR is poison. Couldn't stand the suck up culture and pressure to conform. Just wasn't for me. Great opportunity for some of you can be a yes man.
Pros
Benefits, Training expectations reasonable
Cons
Pay could be better. Management. H.R.
Great if you're coasting til retirement
I will preface this by saying I was in the PND department for my entire tenure at Garmin. From what I understand, the departments vary considerably from one to the next.
The job is very safe to the point that it's even unlikely that you'll be promoted, let alone fired. The projects were basically the same thing over and over again ad nauseum. There's not a lot, if any, opportunity to learn new skills since, as I said, the projects are largely the same from one iteration to the next. This would be a great place if you're just looking for a decent paycheck and benefits.
Poor management
The management in the warehouse is underwhelming. The supervisors know nothing of the departments they are over as well as the dont care to know what you do. The "coaching " is a joke.
Official response from Garmin
July 15, 2019
Thanks for sharing your feedback. We would like the opportunity to investigate this further. Please contact me at sara.slocum@garmin.com.
Horrible Place
Garmin is awful. Awful Pay at its finest. If you wanna make $13 an hour WITH a college degree this is the job for you. They also will overlook you for promotion. They would rather promote their friends oppose to people who actually have the experience.
Pros
Cons
Everything about Garmin is a con
College rookie trying to play in the NFL
A leading company for many products. Management lacks long term strategy in certain divisions. My division's focus is on 3rd party audit preparation and maintaining industry certifications. Customers come last. Especially during the production phase.

You are on your own to make things happen like a superhero. Being a superhero is expected behavior and warrants an average rating during the annual review.

Building your career is also a solo endeavor. Many work experiences are hard to translate to other companies in the same assignment.

Good for 1-5 years of experience out of college then move on.
Pros
Benefits, Promotes healthy life style, Beer at company events
Cons
Inexperienced Managers, Ineffective business strategy, Can't maintain long term customer relationships
A talented, friendly workforce. No discernable path for advancement.
You will not work with a friendlier, more talented group of people. The workplace is very relaxed, but maintains a sense of purpose and high-energy, if you can appreciate how those two go together. There are a lot of groups from pilots to cyclists, runners, etc. which lends itself to a very active, healthy workforce. It is also a very young workforce generally.
Garmin only suffers as most employers do in that there are no goals set forth for advancement. Management is very detached and it is hard to tell what activities, if any, will lead to promotion or opportunity. The benefits compensate for the lower comparable wage.

As a place to work, I have nothing but good things to say.
Don't work in the call center.
I supervised people on the software support and customer service teams. The employees were great, but the contact center manager was horrible. The customers were usually good to deal with.
Good 401k/Health - low salary and advancement - mngmt -- just ok
Great place to have a job -- but for the for the most part, not a place to evolve a career. Several made the transition from intern to FT, but probably because they do not know better.

The pay is below market, benefits are above market. But room to grow is 0 if you are at a mid or senior level.

Lean structure which is good and bad, as it limits the advancement of good people wanting to move into other positions. Advertise internally that leaders are needed, but it is a bit bogus when there are no new leadership positions open.

A good "job" to clock and learn early in you work-life, hard to picture it as a long term career of more that 5 years.

Several senior engineers say that they stay there because they are satisfied with what they get....good for them.
Great atmosphere, hands off management
One of the best companies I’ve worked for. Plenty of room for advancement, but competition is high. Group functions with free food, and give away Garmin products. Management could be a little more involved, but I appreciated the hands off trust. Pay based on Olathe KS headquarters, not conducive with cost of living in Salem OR. Overall, great experience, and I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Group functions, liberal management
Cons
Pay based on Olathe, Ks, not enough for Salem, Or
Pay Sucks
I worked there 7yrs+ pay increase 1-2% maybe if you didn’t get screwed out of 2yrs worth for the same issue. No recognition for those that don’t abuse the FMLA process.
Pros
Good Insurance and 401k
Cons
Horrible Pay