Garmin Employee Reviews

Much ado about nothing place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 9, 2018
Employees always seemed do something to keep busy. Plenty of time to discuss football, weather, food social events.
Lack of projection and ambiguity of mission.

Too many layers of highly paid mangers and executives.
Pros
relxed place to retire if you are looking for easy work
Cons
Lack of mission
Teamwork environment
Rework Operator (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 7, 2018
Coming in to work your greeted by the co-workers leaving the first shift (since I worked 2nd shift). The communication between shifts was good letting each other know the goods and bads that have or will spill over to the next shift so there were never any really big unexpected surprises.
Pros
Company cared about its employees
Cons
I can not think of any at the moment
Overall good company, poor management decisions kill culture
Product Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSApril 13, 2018
When I began at Garmin, things were very relaxed and everyone was there for each other and the customer. The benefits were amazing, pay was fair, and co workers were fun.

Then I moved into a supervisory role and that started out great as well. Slowly however, it became apparent that the management team was completely disengaged with what was happening out on the production floor and became very heavy handed in how they wanted things done. At first, metrics were used as coaching tools. Then the metrics became the entire job and the front line associates felt like they were being micro managed. This led to a mass exodus of quality employees to other jobs in the company or leaving all together. The managers pointed the finger at the supervisors. This eventually led to a complete shake up in the management team, new director, new managers (demotion of previous director and manager) and things seemed to be heading in a positive direction.

Unfortunately the current director has a very vague idea of what support should be (as he has NO experience running a customer service organization) and has gone to the opposite extreme. No metrics, supervisors are just supposed to "know" who is doing well by the management standards that change seemingly daily. That also assumes that the manager communicates the change in goals, which in my case rarely happened. My peer and I would find out about changes from others in similar roles and when our manager was asked, he'd respond with "oh yeah, I was supposed to tell you guys that".

My manager, like the new director, had zero
  more... experience in dealing with customer service because he is an engineer. And his idea of collaboration and team work hinge on the notion that you do what he says when he says it (right or wrong). If you try to raise valid concerns or point out the flaws of his proposals, you were labeled as a dark cloud and a "problem". While that is bad enough, my manager does not address things he feels are an issue immediately, but practices what I like to call "ambush management" and lump 6 months of perceived slights into one giant sucker punch when it does get addressed.

As a result of the lack of direction, my segment is again seeing high turnover as people are looking to get out. There is a career path matrix that requires associates to meet certain criteria AND be in their current role for 2 years minimum. This leads to no true dynamic growth opportunities for new or old associates as they literally are stuck in their current roles until the mandatory time is up or they move on. Great performance means nothing without the time.

It is truly sad that support is being ruined by the current leadership. I'm sad to see my team go and miss out on the benefits, but I am not going to miss the stress of trying to read the management teams mind through their closed office door.

If you are considering a role in product support, be it associate or supervision, be wary. I truly hope at some point they figure it out, but right now it's a rudderless ship with no true direction and a dead end for most.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Disengaged management, No true advancement opportunities
Great company & great people!
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  AZMarch 27, 2018
I would definitely recommend this company to others if you have a technical background as it is a tech company. When you have these skills the sky is the limit for advancement!
good benifits
Electronic Aviation Assembler (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSMarch 27, 2018
most people there are good people, management lacks in authority at times with trouble makers. overall great benefits; pay is lacking a bit but that seems to happen with a lot of company's these days
Great work environment, poor pay and management.
EMC Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSMarch 12, 2018
Pros - Absolutely love my boss

Fantastic benefits

Good work environment

Cons - No career advancement

Promotions come with no salary increase (not an advancing
promotion)

Raises are barely above inflation (Garmin even states raises
are not Cost of Living raises)

No reward for being a good worker. Terrible workers
are given less work and the hard workers get more piled on
their plates.

Salaries are based off of job title and not job description. For
example, an engineering technician who works on an entire
system and is expected to perform the duties of a
systems engineer gets paid the same as an engineering
technician that works on one component of previously
mentioned system. Same title, different duties.
lots of benefits
Electronics Assembler / Assistant Crew Lead (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 7, 2018
repetitive, i enjoyed the work, doesnt matter how hard you work only how long you've been there, favoritism, great benefits, relaxed work almost seems lazy
benefits
Cons
mean coworkers
Biased and Discriminatory Workplace with Management who do not care about the employees
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSMarch 6, 2018
As the company has grown, management has become more focused on money than the customers or the employees who make the products. Employees are treated with a serious lack of respect. Management would rather hire someone with no experience than hire from within internal applicants who have invested time in the company and are qualified. This company is just another company and has no honor. Management will tell you one thing and then go and do the opposite. There is a hypocritical atmosphere in management decisions that bring many questions from those who notice. The company has also gotten very cheap, unwilling to supply equipment to do a job. If you come from a specific school then you are automatically accepted. If not, there is a mentality from many people that they are better than you, making this place suck to work at.
Pros
Gym, cafeteria
Cons
Management wastes time making decisions, and will sometimes turn on decisions.
Great products. Great company.
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSMarch 5, 2018
Very collaborative, relaxed environment. Innovative culture. Contact center was atypical of the stereotype. Very flexible schedules and job expectations, but serious customer focus - best of both worlds.
Pros
lots of gadgets to play with
Cons
limited working locations
Prototype developer 2 (Current Employee) –  Olathe, ksMarch 5, 2018
Garmin has been a great place to work. The benefits are excellent. Plenty of opportunities to grow and expand your skills. The work/life balance has been great.
Garmin
wearhouse associate (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSFebruary 28, 2018
I loved working at garmin. it was an awesome place to work. They paid me as i deserved for the hard work i was doing. the managemant could use a little help though.
Great Job
Product Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salem, OR 97302February 12, 2018
Garmin is an amazing company to work for! The only reason I would leave is for better pay, more advancement opportunists. Garmin offers more opportunities in Kansas, which is where their headquarters are located.
Not fair because they were just starting
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSFebruary 3, 2018
My manager was a good guy who wanted to do too much and left me without any authorization to implement changes. I did nothing. I left because I did not see any changes being made to give me more authority or make it seem like I belonged.
Pros
Cash cow with neat new technology
Cons
I was bored stiff
Good place to be.
Product Support Specialist 3 (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 26, 2018
I enjoy it. It's a group of talented smart people. The company offers great benifits. The daytime hours are great. Overtime is normally an option. It is fast pace and a lot of technical troubleshooting skills are needed. Customer service skills are of essence. Multitasking is very important and an ability to change paths quickly and effectively.
Pros
Nice people to work with.
Cons
Not much room for advancement.
ping pong tables
CAD/CAM Senior Printed Circuit Designer (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KS 66062January 23, 2018
Great bossd and great people. I felt is was time to move on. I had worked there for 5 1/2 years. I received a job offer from Apple and I thought it would be a step up in my career to work for them.
Pros
good pay, fun people
Cons
don't real have any
Director of Corporate Development (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 19, 2018
Similar to a smaller company feel with a big corporate backing. Garmin does not feel like a large company on a day to day basis and you can talk to anyone in the company at any time.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
long work hours
Great job security, but poor wages.
Product Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 17, 2018
I love the hours, typical 8-5 Monday through Friday job with weekends and paid holidays off. The paid vacation time given is phenominal, as are the benefits. Medical, dental, and FREE vision care. The 401k match is the best I've seen offered so far. Yearly Thanksgiving gift cards and Christmas bonus'. This is how they keep people here, but the pay is not competitive. The yearly raises and reviews are disappointing. We lose great, funny, hard working people due to this. This place was a really fun place to work for when I first started out, but since the company has expanded and there are new people in charge, they are cutting department positions and demoting agents to save money. People aren't the fun selves they used to be. Everybody looks sad, and don't put forth the effort in working, because it has become more corporate. Everybody used to come to work and do their job great, but now managers are micro-managing everyone and it is not fun anymore. The very few fun co workers that are left are what keeps me going, aside from the great benefits.
Pros
Great benefits. Great work hours.
Cons
Poor yearly raises.
Corporate Office
Marine Survey and Cartography Analyst (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 15, 2018
A very family oriented environment. Lacks advancement opportunities. Management clearly plays favorites. EXCELLENT Benefits. Great 401k match. Smoke free environment
Fun place to work
Customer Care Software Support Techinial (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 14, 2018
The workday is fulfilling and informative and challenging all at the same time. This place will keep you on your toes. Continuous change and growth with products. Lots of products and lots of opportunities to engage hands on with these products from a number of markets. Garmin has their hands in so much. No way for you to get board.
Great job security, smart people, awful pay
Technical Lead EMC Engineer (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KansasDecember 18, 2017
A collaborative work environment, with mostly smart, motivated individuals but pay/salary is not competitive. Advancement opportunities are far and few between.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Garmin. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.