Garmin Employee Reviews

Good benefits nice environment
Product Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 11, 2018
The job is stressfull by answering phone calls and emails at the same time. Worked 3 years with no pay increase except cost of living. Benefit package was very good.
Pros
Working enviroment was clean
Cons
Always cold and no pay increase
Decent environment no advancement
Distribution (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 6, 2018
Garmin distribution is a decent starter job or someone looking to add a few years before retirement but if your looking for advancement a degree is all that will ensure your chances. There is discrimination there however depending on how you look or dress depends on if the management takes a liking to you instead of basing it off of your work ethic. I’ve witnessed a lot of good people not get selected for advancements due to the management selecting less qualified canidates due to personal preferences .
Pros
Clean environment
Cons
Bad leadership no advancement
I was there for four years -- Before they had layoffs due to cut in staff -- as they no-longer needed as many staff members re software advancements
Office Assistant (logistics) (Former Employee) –  Newport, ORNovember 5, 2018
I was there for four years -- Before they had layoffs due to cut in staff -- as they no-longer-needed as many staff members due to software advancement. I loved working there and with my team --- worked my tail off - and hardly ever took any sick time, etc.
- Would have been nice to have been offered an alternate choice for my loyalty and hard work.
Oh Garmin, the sweet review!
Product Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 25, 2018
I recommend this job to those that are starting out in their career (from call center positions to engineers). I would also recommend to continue to look for better positions within/ and outside once you feel you may be burned out. I have been here 7 years, and have worked in 3 departments. Pay is mediocre although health benefits are amazing. A typical day is from start to finish on the phones. You have 2-15 minute breaks that you are required to stay within. The Attendance Program is super easy and resets every quarter. Do not get on their eye site, and never cross a manager. They will quickly remove you from their company. Over my 7 years at the OCC, I have seen numerous key star employees be let go and banned after years of excellent service, and for the most unbelievable shocking reasons. A few examples: social media postings, new management not taking to someone, notifying upper management of any dissatisfaction, and whatever you do, do not feel comfortable to take advantage of their federal program allowing medical leave. You will be scrutinized, even so. Be smart where you apply. Great company overall, better management is highly desired. You want to feel a manager cares about your overall success and builds you within. You are on your own, so attend training/educational classes and prove your worth to other positions. If you know someone who works here, you have a better chance of getting hired. I heard a reply after 2 months of my initial application. I followed up calls, and once I heard from them, it was time for the U/A and I started training the 3rd day.
Pros
Benefits, Culture, Training
Cons
Management, Changing their Culture, No worthwhile raises
Decent Place to Work but poor job advancement
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 8, 2018
Garmin has products that basically sell themselves, but you are able to build relationships with customers. The biggest problem is that the promotions that are from within are bringing in associates from different areas of the company rather than filling jobs from the experienced, existing teams. This is due to perceived pressure for diversity from upper management.
Pros
Nice campus and good location
Cons
Poor job advancement opportunities
Great environmen and benefits
User Experience Designer (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 6, 2018
Garmin was a great place to work. Company culture and work/life balance were good at least in my position. They're a community minded organization and provide opportunities to serve the community. I'd recommend it prospective employees.
Pros
Benefits are industry-leading
Cons
Not much chace for lateral movement within the company, in my experience.
Great work experience
Product Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 2, 2018
Very relaxed work experience at Garmin for the call center positions. Ordinarily, call centers are very stressful experiences and there is a very high turnover rate. That is not the case at Garmin. You feel like you are a valuable part of the team from the get-go. Dress code is very casual which is great. Pay for a summer product support specialist was $13.50 per hour.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Its a call center job.
Product Support Specialist/Mentor and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 26, 2018
The people were great and very kind. It was a great, stress free place to work. The training for new devices were well planned and easy to participate.
Active Lifestyle Company
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 21, 2018
Consumer electronics company where an active lifestyle is encouraged; from cycling and running, to aviation and marine.

Stable business diversified across multiple products and categories.
Pros
Family Friendly Benefits, Stable with Low Volatility
Cons
Production Cycles, Constrained Software Resources
A good company to work for.
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 13, 2018
Garmin is a good company to work for, but very hard to advance because of limited positions available. Raises are very little and not guaranteed. A lot of good old boys giving benefits to friends instead of qualified employees.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement

Want to know more about Garmin?

Ask a question
Garmin it just like an office we clean computers desk a lot of etc
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 9, 2018
This jobs are awesome I really like it we clock in work at the same time until first brake it take 15 minutes and w clean the whole building just second floor and w do as fast as w can make it up to our time but like as we did clean the room dest computers dust anything vacuum the floor wipe the table off with dowel w also have a card with anything on for cleaning stuff we also mopped the floor we do a lot of this in Garmin
Pros
Provide lunches
Cons
It’s an office
Garmin
Floater (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSAugust 6, 2018
Garmin is the cutting edge of GPS and learning the technology that went into them was really neat. This company has a cafeteria and a gym for the employees to use.
The fast pace and team work makes for the work day to seem short!
Garmin is very big on team leading skills and building safe and practical skills. everyone is treated very fair and it is a causal dress code for everyone including the CEO.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Company that respects employees based on skill and performance
Software Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 31, 2018
Garmin advances specialists based on yearly job performance reviews and conducts in-house interviews to fill promotional positions. Raise are also based on performance which naturally encourages employees who like their jobs to continue learning and increasing performance and those that do not perform well or do not like what they are doing at Garmin will quit of their own volition without encouragement from management.
Great people
Employee (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJuly 23, 2018
- Very busy days with opportunities to work with all areas of the company
- No career paths for employees not in engineering
- Ability to work remotely when needed
Amazing Products and Great Place to Work
PRODUCT SUPPORT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 16, 2018
Garmin is an innovative industry leader. The products are super fun and the environment laid back and collaborative. Leadership is open-minded and cares greatly for their employees.
Pros
Great Products and People
Cons
Too far from home.
Product Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 25, 2018
Garmin cares about their employees. The benefits and compensation packages are nice. There are a lot of extra curricular activities they encourage you to participate in. They also provide plenty of training opportunities for personal and career advancement.
Much ado about nothing place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 9, 2018
Employees always seemed do something to keep busy. Plenty of time to discuss football, weather, food social events.
Lack of projection and ambiguity of mission.

Too many layers of highly paid mangers and executives.
Pros
relxed place to retire if you are looking for easy work
Cons
Lack of mission
Teamwork environment
Rework Operator (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 7, 2018
Coming in to work your greeted by the co-workers leaving the first shift (since I worked 2nd shift). The communication between shifts was good letting each other know the goods and bads that have or will spill over to the next shift so there were never any really big unexpected surprises.
Pros
Company cared about its employees
Cons
I can not think of any at the moment
Typical office environment
Cartographic Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, MEApril 28, 2018
Co-workers are nice, people are generally pleasant but like most office atmospheres there is drama under the surface. Currently transitioning into a much younger and more vigorous workforce. Should be a dynamic opportunity in the future.
Overall good company, poor management decisions kill culture
Product Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSApril 13, 2018
When I began at Garmin, things were very relaxed and everyone was there for each other and the customer. The benefits were amazing, pay was fair, and co workers were fun.

Then I moved into a supervisory role and that started out great as well. Slowly however, it became apparent that the management team was completely disengaged with what was happening out on the production floor and became very heavy handed in how they wanted things done. At first, metrics were used as coaching tools. Then the metrics became the entire job and the front line associates felt like they were being micro managed. This led to a mass exodus of quality employees to other jobs in the company or leaving all together. The managers pointed the finger at the supervisors. This eventually led to a complete shake up in the management team, new director, new managers (demotion of previous director and manager) and things seemed to be heading in a positive direction.

Unfortunately the current director has a very vague idea of what support should be (as he has NO experience running a customer service organization) and has gone to the opposite extreme. No metrics, supervisors are just supposed to "know" who is doing well by the management standards that change seemingly daily. That also assumes that the manager communicates the change in goals, which in my case rarely happened. My peer and I would find out about changes from others in similar roles and when our manager was asked, he'd respond with "oh yeah, I was supposed to tell you guys that".

My manager, like the new director, had zero
  more... experience in dealing with customer service because he is an engineer. And his idea of collaboration and team work hinge on the notion that you do what he says when he says it (right or wrong). If you try to raise valid concerns or point out the flaws of his proposals, you were labeled as a dark cloud and a "problem". While that is bad enough, my manager does not address things he feels are an issue immediately, but practices what I like to call "ambush management" and lump 6 months of perceived slights into one giant sucker punch when it does get addressed.

As a result of the lack of direction, my segment is again seeing high turnover as people are looking to get out. There is a career path matrix that requires associates to meet certain criteria AND be in their current role for 2 years minimum. This leads to no true dynamic growth opportunities for new or old associates as they literally are stuck in their current roles until the mandatory time is up or they move on. Great performance means nothing without the time.

It is truly sad that support is being ruined by the current leadership. I'm sad to see my team go and miss out on the benefits, but I am not going to miss the stress of trying to read the management teams mind through their closed office door.

If you are considering a role in product support, be it associate or supervision, be wary. I truly hope at some point they figure it out, but right now it's a rudderless ship with no true direction and a dead end for most.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Disengaged management, No true advancement opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Garmin. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight