Gaston County Department of Health and Human Services

Gaston County Department of Health and Human Services Employee Reviews

terrible place and awful management
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJuly 20, 2018
Gaston will never keep good workers. Management is very JUDGEMENTAL and they use their own PERSONAL BIASES against clients. Management does not support workers.
HIGH HIGH TURN OVER in Child Welfare due to the poor management.
Great Place
ECONOMIC SUPPORT SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJanuary 27, 2018
Was a very fast pace job and I learned a lot about the community that I live in. Also I met a lot of new people and learned how to take application and help clients get approved for benefits.
helping others
helping others (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCNovember 4, 2017
stressful work with families and children as with any other dss. Supervisors were great, ability to assist families in making changes to improve their lives.
Pros
supervisors
Cons
work balance
Great place to work, family like atmosphere
Manager (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCOctober 4, 2017
Excellent place to work. A tremendous amount of opportunity to develop professional skills. The overall culture of the organization is supportive and fun.
Pros
Food Truck Fridays, Training, Wellness Programs
Boring and depressing
Income Maintainance Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCOctober 2, 2017
Consists of everything that is negative attributed to a bureaucratic government agency. Negative co workers, no opportunity for advancement. Preferential treatment for some workers. Pay is acceptable and there are benefits such as insurance and paid holidays, starter job at best.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
negative co workers, conservatives literally will have to keep their lives 'in the closet'
Great place for work/life balance
Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCSeptember 18, 2017
I've worked at Gaston DHHS (and previously for the Health Department) for 12 years and have to say it's one of the best working environments I've encountered. Management supports the ongoing work of our Culture Committee which is dedicated to improving morale and our work environment. Many programs allow flexibility which is huge for work/life balance.
Pros
Benefits (great health insurance!), free wellness programs, gym, awesome coworkers, community impact
Difficult patient population to serve, but great team to work with
CNM (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMay 28, 2016
Hospital call is a very busy 24 hours. CNMS do all of the NSVDs for the Medicaid, uninsured, unassigned and health department patients in collaboration with the health department physicians.
Office days are OB care only. Gyn is done by the NPs.
I learn something new at the health department daily.
The office is not as efficient as a privately run organization, and that can lead to frustration. The hardest part of the job is taking care of some very unfortunate people, and the difficulties they face.
The best part of the job is the schedule. CNMs typically work a 40 hour work-week.
Pros
Excellent schedule
Cons
Very busy hospital call and difficult population to serve
Great place to work.
SOCIAL WORKER III-CPS (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCSeptember 5, 2015
I loved working here. I learned a lot of valuable skills. I only left here due to moving from the area. Great training. I worked with a lot of great coworkers.
Pros
great benefits
Social work services for elderly and disabiled adults
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCAugust 3, 2015
I loved social work and the co-workers that i had the pleasure to work with. The management was very poor and the pay was not up to par with other agencies in the same area.
Not the Best place to be
Economic Services Caseworker II (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCApril 25, 2015
Co workers are wonderful
Very strefful job
Good hours
Always busy
You never stop learning
Over worked and under paid
Management isn't the best
Not very organized
Pros
Good hours
Difficult work enviornment, overwhelming work load, lack of support and assistance.
Social Worker III, Child and Family Services (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at works includes an extensive amount of paperwork, phone calls, and limited time in field work spend with your clients. I learned how involved the Social Services agencies are with their clients and the families in need. I learned while working there, the importance of the role of a Social Worker. Most of my co-workers were overwhelmed and complained that workers often get, "stuck," in their positions. Most workers report feeling that there is not enough time in a week to accomplish the work that is needed and we are often cutting our clients short to take care of other mandatory tasks. It is common to work 12-14 hour shifts and not be able to flex the time. The hardest part of the job is completing the work given to you and tending to your families to a level that you are comfortable with. This causes issues with work/life balance because you wish to give your best to your clients you are not able to take the time to care for yourself. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the impact you have on children and their families in a positive way.
supportive supervisor
In-Home Services Social Worker III (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCSeptember 12, 2013
Very stressful. having to make timelines. great multi-tasker.
Pros
team work
Cons
a lot of overtime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gaston County Department of Health and Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about