Gatehouse Media Employee Reviews

Gatehouse should not even be your last option.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 16, 2019
Gatehouse is about 5 years behind all other media groups in so many ways it's terrifying. The majority of my co-workers were born when the newspaper was invented. We wouldn't get our monthly sales goals until weeks into the same month. Commission was regularly incorrect and the overall environment was a constant fire drill of selling pointless newspaper programs and packages.
Ad Director was amazing
multi media sales rep (Former Employee) –  Adrian, MIJanuary 8, 2019
My ad director was amazing. Always there to help or give a compliment. However the upper management micromanaged all the way down to the sales team.
Not a happy place
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Niceville, FLJanuary 3, 2019
Carriers get cents on the dollar for papers and than charged 3.00 for missed paper. Unfair work place no sick time or vacation and 7 days a week no days off.
Pros
4 hrs a night
Cons
7 days a week, and docked 200 percen paper price
Wouldn't wish this place upon my worst enemy
Classified Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 3, 2019
Everything was wrong with this company. From the time i was hired to my final day of work.
Beyond poor communication between VP of department and Sale reps, far disorganized, and broken promises and promotions.
wasted time trying to be promoted to original job title that I applied for.
Pros
Cons
Everthing
Review
Page Designer / Copy Editor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 26, 2018
My position at GateHouse Media is one that was flexible when needed, and the management really cared about their employees and would help train them to higher standards.
Sales
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 11, 2018
The Publisher is a dictator and extreme micro manager. No room or opportunity to bring your ideas. My manager is always stressed out and always in a meeting. Chaos chaos and more chaos. Publisher threatens employees frequently and points blame to others. Awful culture. Employees are miserable but remain there since few other jobs in area.

I worked there 3 years. Loved coworkers. It all went downhill after publisher came aboard. Hopefully he wont last much longer and get someone who really knows what theyre doing.
Benefits
Cons
Very poor leadership at top
Isolation from home office is detrimental to keeping up with subtle changes in work culture
Proofreader (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX (remote)December 5, 2018
A typical day includes a plethora of new procedures and cautions aimed at employees.

I learned that office politics that affect the remote worker are often not communicated to that worker.

The management style at Gatehouse is chaotic at best.

The workplace culture at the Center for News and Design shifts subtly day by day, to an extent that's hard for the remote worker to properly assess.

The hardest part of working for Gatehouse is the constant change in workload and work expectations. As I stated above, this can be a day by day change without proper preparation for the front-line employee.

The most enjoyable part of being a proofreader for Gatehouse is being able to see and "touch" news products from Cape Cod to Southern California, savoring the different content and presentation styles.
Pros
Loose, fun working environment
Cons
Lack of communication between management and front-line workers about goals and expectations.
High stress, low pay
Creative Services Producer (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 24, 2018
They came in after buying the company I worked for, my job was outsourced to one of their facilities back east. The benefits they provide are very expensive. They set very high-stress goals for the salespeople, many prior employees quit or retired. I would NOT recommend working for this company. I'm amazed this company is still in business.
Management and pay
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 9, 2018
Management truly sucks. Rules managers enforce for other don't apply to everyone. Pay fluctuates although the job and duties may not. Absolutely no benefits or time off.
Take a job at Starbucks before you work for Gatehouse
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MANovember 1, 2018
Without question the worst company I have worked for during a 30 year career. The work environment is toxic. Every Friday afternoon you would here about who they fired that day.

As a salesperson, you were just a revenue source and nothing else. Management had their favorites and were free to bully those who were not.
Pros
Can not think of any
Cons
High pressure, abusive management
GATE HOUSE MEDIA .Work place culture
Transportation (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCOctober 29, 2018
I enjoy the job and the people but not the pay and i learn alot about trucks.The experience was great and the people who trained me were even greater.
Good company that is forward thinking
Sr. Group Publisher (Former Employee) –  KansasOctober 6, 2018
Great forward thinking company. It is hard work, but I went into the position knowing I would have to give it my all. Would like to rejoin this company.
Pros
Growing company
Cons
Very bottom line
Bad company culture
Regional Promotions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCOctober 2, 2018
A typical day is very micro-managed. Management does not follow through with accountability or respect. Often times the lower man on the totem pole suffers because they have not made management look good enough. Do not follow through with what they promise as changes and autonomy. No room for growth or actual career development. Will only train you on how to work in the position you are in for that company. Nothing more.
Good place to work but facility is closing.
Customer Retention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCOctober 1, 2018
I have enjoyed my time here but now they are closing.Good atmosphere, friendly people. Pay is decent. I would recommend them if they were remaining open.
Sucks your lifeblood and pays peanuts
Advertising sections content coordinator (Former Employee) –  Randolph MASeptember 17, 2018
I had a unique position at the company, coming in for a few weeks to produce special projects several times a year. I flew under the radar for many years, earned my money and went home; came back to do my job when necessary. It was great... Following a merger, however, I showed up to do my job and these inconsiderate folks hadn’t even told me that they had eliminated my position and given it to someone else within the company who iwas doing my type of work (for less pay). Then they had the audacity to ask me to freelance for the person who replaced me. As if. These people don’t have the slightest clue how to treat their fellow human beings. If there is such a thing as reincarnation, I hope the people in management come back as peons in this company !!! Plus they love to lay off journalists with experience and replace them with kids right out of college who don’t know the difference between farther and further. So they can pay them minimum wage. They do not care one whit that their newspaper quality continues to go downhill. It’s all about profit . But who wants to read a piece of garbage newspaper?
Pros
Cons
Everything.
Don't treat employees very well
Editor (Current Employee) –  MissouriSeptember 14, 2018
Can't speak for upper management, but on the ground you get treated like you don't matter at all despite being the most important people to the company. They don't seem to realize that they can't make any money if they don't have reporters or salespeople.
Don't work here
Page Designer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 3, 2018
Low pay, mediocre benefits, awful hours, bad management. HR does not have good track record with sexual harassment. You get vacation time but you will never get to use it. You will work holidays and not know your holiday schedule until a few days before. The manager in charge of the schedule does not respond to emails and never seems to know what time off is available. Someone abruptly quits out of anger or frustration at least once a month.
Pros
job security
worst company have ever worked for
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYAugust 29, 2018
Training was horrible, no direction, no assistance. Stressful, was verbally assaulted by a co worker. Management also gave no direction, have their favorites. If you are not one of them, we are treated unfairly
All work and no play makes you a dull person
Page Designer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 23, 2018
Literally no opportunity to show case any creativity and just forget about any company culture, any attempt is just pathetic. 8 hrs of back to back deadlines.
Pros
Benefits and paid vacation
Cons
Incredibly dull environment and one short break
Disrespectful Liars
Sales (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCAugust 14, 2018
Couple of coworkers were kind, and helpful. Management is slimy. Sadly, "Best of Best" events are a scam/joke, and only for the money, not our locals.
benefits
Cons
many

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gatehouse Media. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight