Gates Chili Central School District Employee Reviews

Wonderful place to teach
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 6, 2019
I had a wonderful career teaching at Gates Chili. A typical day began with the hustle and bustle of students entering the school and the classroom. As they enter, being prepared for the unexpected is a necessity, not knowing their temperament. Greeting each and everyone with a smile and hello before beginning class sets the stage to begin. Management of the classroom is an important skill I learned and improved upon continually. Classroom management is aided by setting consistent routines and rules. Also, being over prepared for lessons in case the lesson is finished earlier than planned, helps keep students focused with no minimal downtime. Time management is equally important, balancing how much time to spend on various concepts and skills. The hardest part of my job was finding ways to meet students individual needs academically, creating and implementing various strategies to assist their learning. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping students succeed and feel proud of themselves for their accomplishments.
Gates Chili has a wonderful workplace culture. I taught in four buildings, all of which had an outstanding working environment. The teachers and staff all strive for student excellence.Teaching here was part of a tight knit community, where people care for each other.
Pros
Excellent health benefits, pension, vacations, hours
Cons
take a lot of work home, restricted to school schedule
Gates Chili Lifeguard
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 12, 2019
Learned certifications for CPR and general first aid as well as lifeguard certification; hardest part of the job was keeping track of all the swimmers.
Pros
schedule flexibility
Stay away
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 10, 2018
This district was a great one to work for. Now everything is changed. You have people in charge that don't practice what they teach, respect, responsibility, compassion. They do however, expect you to do tons of hard work and not pay you for it.
Cons
No breaks, several classes at once.
Very good place to work
Substitute Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 9, 2018
I loved my Job at Gates Chili, very nice staff and I enjoyed my co-workers. Enjoyed working with the students. Flexible work hours. Clean and safe work place.
Pros
As a subtitute I worked when I wanted too.
Cons
N/a
Used to be a great place to work. New principal was horrible.
Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee) –  Middle schoolNovember 20, 2017
I loved teaching, was devoted and enjoyed working with students. My typical day included instruction, lesson planning and various meetings.
I was named Monroe County Teacher of the Year by the American Legion. I learned to adapt to different learning styles and always worked on improving my instruction. Helping students to be successful was very fulfilling. The workplace culture changed radically with the new Principal who had been fired from her previous job. She is a tyrannical controlling person and the teachers have been pushing for a vote of no confidence.
Pros
Loved teaching and had good benefits.
Cons
Lack of constructive leadership
Fast paced job.
Bus operations expediter (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 11, 2014
Extremely fast paced. You need to be a multi tasker X 3. The small core of office staff, myself included are dedicated to getting the job done for the welfare of our clients, in this case students, parents and administrators. Sometimes putting our own lives aside.
Pros
I get to meet and talk to many community members.
Cons
Long hours, many sacrificed lunches.
Good school district
English Teacher, Alternative Education Program (Former Employee) –  Gates, NYNovember 12, 2013
A good school district to work for. I only left due to budget cuts.