Gates Corporation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Na
Environmental, Health, & Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYAugust 13, 2018
I would prefer not to speak about this employer. The job served its purpose while I was there. It was a job and that is about all i can say for it. That is all
coworkers were fun
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Newton, IAJuly 31, 2018
wasn't intending on leaving but things happen to where you just cant deal with certain people and things around you and you shouldn't have to be treated poorly if you don't know how to do something.
Pros
co workers
Cons
short breaks, management, and working 6 days a week
Typical day or week
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Madisonville, LAJuly 22, 2018
A typical day was mapping out my territory to see which area I would concentrate on that day or week. I learned to manage my time and customers and also learned how to referee rival distributor disagreements.
Pros
worked from home
Cons
distributor disagreements
Cool environment but not much job advancements
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Siloam Springs, ARJuly 11, 2018
It was a great job I enjoyed it a lot.Other than the fact that its almost impossible to advance to a ,higher paying position. The management is pretty good they are overall pretty laid back. But they dont really understand personal things.
Pros
Great benefits, good management.
Cons
no advancements in the company.
Not a good place to work
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Siloam Springs, ARJuly 9, 2018
If you like working in a Hot H*** Hole? Go for it!!! Management no good. No training. Figure it out on your own environment. No shoe allowance and no safety eyewear allowance. Insurance no good and very high.
Challenging work environment with a sink or swim training system
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Siloam Springs, ARJune 5, 2018
Could be an excellent place to retire from, many holes in their training create unnecessary stress and prolonged people , machinery and process issues.
Could use communication classes between management and employees
Pros
pay
Cons
hot work, poor communication, job security
Ok
Order Puller (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GAJune 4, 2018
The work is very easy the people a great they pull orders for nappa like belt hoses and water pumps
.......................................................
Pros
Cons
The pay
Gates great history. New owners ruin it.
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 21, 2018
I was always proud to work for Gates. However the new ownership has ruined the culture for this company and what it stood for. It's a shame we have lost alot of good people. I wish it was like the old day's customer first and revenue driven later. I understand we need the revenue. But cut backs in inventory has killed our sales momentum. Thanks Blackstone corp.
Pros
Great leadership at the local levels and middle management
Cons
Blackstone Corp
Expect to be a service technician as well as an outside sales rep
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  FYIMay 16, 2018
Huge politics in the company. They used to hire people to help change over inventory for stores, but now the sales reps do it. Very little time spend actually selling. ALOT of manual labor and they still expect you to hit your numbers even while you are on the road 7 days a week doing inventory change overs. Alot of time away from family and no additional pay or incentives for doing it.
Pros
Company Car
Cons
Time away from home and alot of manual labor
I enjoyed working at Gates
Assembler/Lead person (Former Employee) –  Glade Spring, VAMay 12, 2018
Gates offered good benefits. You were able to advance at Gates. I would still be working at Gates, if the tornado had not destroyed the plant in Glade where I worked.
Typical production
Strip Table Operator (Former Employee) –  Iola, KSMay 7, 2018
Hot sweaty dirty work decent pay overtime short notice no allowance for clothes but did have boot truck every month production based and eye for detail must ppe and standard work implement on daily basis
Assembler/Team Leader/Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  OntarioMay 3, 2018
Union plant. Management are usually courteous with their requests. We worked 8 hr shifts from Monday to Friday, and usually a Saturday shift. Co-workers were great.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Pay
Not a sales job
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 17, 2018
I was hired as a Territory manager for the Automotive Aftermarket.
I was told that overnight travel would be no more that 2 nights per month. Not true. This job requires a lot of overnight travel, and is not a sales job. This position is mainly a merchandising job. Set up new auto parts stores, product changeovers, and counting customer's inventory are just a few examples of the merchandising position. The company sends reps on 2-3 week changeovers; all labor intensive. You are there for the entire time, and expected to take care of "your" customers, after putting in a 10 hour day of labor. They are also VERY stingy on meal allowance, $38 per day (including tips) is all they pay, no matter what part of the country you are in.

Also, as a Territory Manager, you can not negotiate dollars, freight, or any special terms.

Commission is paid on company results and not individual victories. If a Gates Territory Manager closes a $30 million deal, the may get $100 gift card with a pat on the back.

If you want to sell and not be a merchandiser,, STAY CLEAR
Pros
Company Car & phone
Cons
Travel, not a sales position
Competitive Work Environment
Vice President Operations (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 11, 2018
Gates is a manufacturer of power transmission belts and a manufacturer of fluid power products. The company’s products are used in diverse industrial and automotive applications where the cost of failure is very high relative to the cost of the products. The company employs over 14,000 staff and has sales and manufacturing operations in all of the world's major markets, including North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and the Middle East.
Great Automotive Company
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2018
Excellent brand name in the industry. Great company that constantly strives to increase market share and product categories. Global recognition and good working atmosphere
work day
Specification Technician II (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMarch 28, 2018
work day starts at 4:30 am to connect with co-workers overseas. I handle all specification, production numbers, sample numbers globally. The hardest part of the job is to connect with everyone
Daily work environment
Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 3, 2018
Self-paced work environment on a daily basis while adhering to set monthly key initiatives and goals. Required 40 hour work week that can stretch to meet increased demand with little notice.
Pros
flexible hours
dependable
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Poplar Bluff, MO 63901February 26, 2018
Very dependable job and great hours with great people. They make sure safety is their first and foremost priority. If you want overtime it is almost always available
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Poplar Bluff, MOFebruary 8, 2018
The work has always been fast pace and go go go. The manager I had for 7 Years was the best boss I could ask for unfortunately he is no longer employees there
Pros
Bonus lunches
Cons
Overtime
Good Place to Work
Specification Technician II (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COFebruary 7, 2018
My day starts at 4:30 in the morning so I can talk to the people in Europe and get what they need from me done.

There is a great language barrier and so I have to learn to pay close attention to what they are saying.

Management here is great and understanding

We have a great culture here we all get along and want to help each other

The hardest part of the job is communication on every level because of the diversity we have

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I do get to talk to all people and learn more about their roles in the company
Pros
Good People at this company
Cons
No Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gates Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight