Gateway Classic Cars Employee Reviews

Great place to work if you like Classic Cars
Sales manager (Former Employee) –  LouisvilleAugust 12, 2019
Company is growing so be prepared to change with it. Leads are driven by the internet, so no need for cold calling. As with any sales job, plan ahead. There can be a few lean months, but for the most part, the pay is great.
Pros
Base salary, plus commission, plus bonus
Cons
End of the month can be stressful, but that is with any job.
Meh.
Lead Videographer (Former Employee) –  Ruskin, FLJuly 21, 2019
Don't get me wrong, I loved working there.. for like the first 3 months. It was a blast getting to see and drive cars you never thought you'd be able to drive.. But CORPORATE SUCKS!! Kind of feel like the CEO had a problem with me even though my work is what made HIM money. I was lied to about how much I could make. They took advantage of what I was capable of and treated me like a kid. I have a DEGREE lol. But Oh Well.. On To Bigger and Better Things.
Pros
Cool Cars Everyday
Cons
Time off, Pay, Ceo, Co-workers
Dream cars; Nightmare Pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Crete, ILJune 27, 2019
Do not expect to make what they tell you. If the inventory is low/old, you'll never be able to sell enough regardless of meeting or exceeding goals. Their sales process is also corrupt and misleading to customers selling their cars. If you enjoy being ripped off and being encouraged to do that to customers then this is a great place for you. Owner also openly bragged about his $15k plane ride to employees. Cool cars though...
Pros
Cars.
Cons
Long hours, high turnover, low wages, etc.
They will fire you if the management doesnt like you
Marketing Agent (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, ILMarch 23, 2019
Worked as a Marketing Agent. Started off great. Set records at locations for car intake. Red flags once people started getting let go for trivial things. Management couldn't figure out how to motivate employees to work harder. Money would have been the way to go but they tried near everything else instead. BDC manager is suppose to be there for the BDC marketing team but they always get roped into blaming BDC department for everything because management cant be adults and accept responsibility. Will hire anyone into management who will be ruthless to the lower employees including HR Department. Would set new quota requirements on the fly or face termination in order to fire people they didn't like. They would do this in the middle of winter. Would constantly change pay rates and commission bonuses to confuse people and cheap people out of any real money. Sales team made all the money. Management would have multiple meetings daily and not allow any input from other employees. Carpet was full of mold. Management searches through desks. Typical day is firing off 100 calls a day to craigslist car ads trying to get them to list with the company(which they had to pay to do). Setting appointments, logistics to the showrooms, advertising events at your showroom. Gossip was ripe. Had a great Christmas party though. So. Bonus.
Pros
Nice showroom at the Flagship
Cons
Short lunches, the blame game, low pay, contant pay changes, management schemes.
Bad Experience
Inventory Consultant (BDR) (Former Employee) –  TexasJanuary 14, 2019
Wish I would of read more reviews. No job security. Pay structure can change at any moment. Cheap company. Sad that they don't appreciate their staff. Laid off 10% of the company before holidays. Customers always upset with the company.
Pros
Working around cool cars.
Cons
No career development.
Terrible place to work - stay away!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIDecember 26, 2018
This place is awful. They care more about profits than ethical treatment of buyers and sellers. They change the rules on a whim, and will do everything they can to take money out of employees pockets. Management is completely inept and clueless.
Pros
You get to see some cool cars.
Cons
Zero leadership. Management does not care about employees.
So much true talent lost
Business Development (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WINovember 29, 2018
A lot of truly great talented people work here, adding to the pleasure of classic cars and great customers. Wonderful concept mishandled. Salary estimates here presume you are hiring into one of the 5 cities that almost earn enough to pay for the other 11 money losers due to over-expansion of an obviously and significantly flawed model. Past long-term management left for this reason and it hasn’t changed.
After 2 years here, I just noticed these reviews average about 1 every 3 months. Please take with a grain of salt that each and every 5 star review (5 total) were the only current employee reviews and only over a 15 day period. Eliminate this brief cluster of gushing 5 stars from the only current employees would drop the average to closer to reality.
Management choices have always defied logic. Working here you just have to scratch your head, shrug it off, and dodge the write-ups that the business model requires each file to be filled with for every employee, regardless of competence, profitability, and skill. Very Weird. Maybe 1% outside of management ever achieve over 5 yrs. here. Ownership should think hard about this… So much true talent lost…
Pros
classic cars and great customers
Cons
Ceo, management, honesty, business model
Hopeless Company
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee) –  St LouisOctober 31, 2018
The previous reviews sums up a lot of what you need to know about this unorganized and unethical company. Read and keep moving forward to a better job opportunity, or get ready to go through that rotating door. Its was amazing to work with classic cars. There is no doubt about that, but the cons totally outweighs the pros. Its sad because this company has true potential. The owner has incompetent MANAGERS overseeing the company and implementing ideas on a whim. Its horrible. Owner himself makes it nearly impossible to keep his business afloat and running smoothly. There is no structure. Management is consistently throwing stuff against the wall hoping it will stick. Beware, its not a good working environment, no support. They've relocated several loyal employees and their families to work at their other locations to only then turn their backs and ultimately give them the boot.
Pros
Classic cars
Cons
All the above
Poor Management
Business Development Rep (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 24, 2018
There is zero job security unless you are in the St Louis group....and then it is still questionable. Management is so bad that it uses it's employees as pawns so they can save their jobs.
Pros
Nice cars
Cons
They rip off both the sellers and the buyers
Multi-Million Dollar Business ran by 3 unqualified politicians
Marketing, Business Development (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 7, 2018
under-qualified management.
no structure to any job, or job duty.
"he said/she said" politics to determine write-ups.
lazy hiring process, even lazier promotional process.
no write up structure, employees will just be fired with no warning
constant pay changes based off how much money CEO needs for new business expenses
unprofessional settings such as employee conduct, attire, etc.
no seniority.
Pros
Growth Opportunities from within due to being mom-pop business
Cons
Nepotism, Corruption
Management Needs to Grow Up
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 4, 2018
Management has an issue with employees having ideas to improve production and sales. Small opportunity to grow. Management makes alot of changes and believe sales and BDRs are the issue but they need to look internally and they may find their issue. CEO and CFO do not know what they are doing.
Poor management for remote locations
Undisclosed (Former Employee) –  UndisclosedMay 30, 2018
The remote locations are not managed well enough. The corporate office does not make sure that all of the employees are doing their job correctly and efficiently. Too many people get away with doing the wrong thing.
And turn over is extremely high. Too many things change and they expect you to be able to meet their high demands at the drop of a head with little to no support.
When bonuses are hit the pay is pretty good, but it honestly is not worth the stress and headache if nothing is done to correct the bad behavior.
It's like they are setting you up for failure rather than success.
Pros
Bonues, vacation
Cons
Management of remote locations
Fun place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 23, 2018
It is a fun place to work, just make sure you like giving up your weekends. It is also a amazing place to sell your car, would not recommend buying from them.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Lots of hours
Great job with horrible management
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Everywhere, USJanuary 3, 2018
They've built their business around their HQ in Illinois. They expect the world from their employees, but will cut $100 out of a hard working employee's pay to save them a dollar. They use you until you're tapped out and then will treat you like yesterdays news. The upper management are a bunch of people who could handle the business when it was small, but now fail to realize they can't handle trying to transition into big business. They then blame it on the working groups in other showrooms, while they collect a fat paycheck. As much as I loved the job, I wouldn't recommend working there. Just look at their turnover and it's easy to see how poorly managed the company is.
Pros
Classic Cars
Cons
Upper Management
Good and Bad
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIOctober 20, 2017
For me, it was not the right opportunity at the time, but they provided me with a fantastic opportunity. I was not ready for it at the time, but I learned a lot about sales and marketing.

Management could be a little more hands on. Very unique working environment. You need to be very independent.

I could have flourished under different circumstances. Some failures were my own, but there were also failures on behalf of management.
Great place to advance, Grow and work around Classic Cars
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 29, 2017
Gateway Classic Cars is a great place to work! The sales department is amazing! You get a real sense of pride working here. There is no Cut-throat sales here. Everything is a group/team effort which makes the job less stressful and more focused on customer service and building a relationship with the customers. You get to play with and sell classic and collector cars. You never know what is going to show up at the door for you to sell. Making every day a pleasure to anyone who is a car fanatic.
Pros
40hr work weeks, Salary + Commission, Sundays always off, decent benefits, room for advancement
Cons
None really, as an individual you just need to be organized, Sales staff members have to handle the sale start to finish themselves
Incredible place to work!!!!
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 28, 2017
I have worked for Gateway Classic Cars for almost 2 years total and by far Gateway Classic Cars is the coolest job, and ultimately my dream job. I have been in Car Sales for almost 15 years and to be able to sell incredible classic and exotic cars that we do is just unbelievable. You learn and see new things almost everyday, so if you like cars and like Sales well I guarantee you won't find a better place to work for than Gateway Classic Cars.
Pros
Classic and Exotic Cars, Car Shows
Sales is both exciting and enjoyable
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 28, 2017
Gateway Classic Cars Sales is a great position for someone with initiative that wants to be successful. Potential is limitless for someone that wants to work hard. The job itself is always exciting and is very enjoyable.
Diverse, fun, difficult but rewarding
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXAugust 15, 2017
While I had to leave the company for my wife's career, I truly will miss this job. Please open another location near me! Gateway Classic Cars challenged me on a professional level which I now see as I leave. It's like an athletic coach in your youth, you might not see eye to eye when it comes to how hard you are pushed for success, but when you look back, that coach made you a better player. I made great money here and the team atmosphere was strong. Let's face it, this job/industry is not a common one, so everyone within the company joins arms to lend assistance. Growth was the fastest I've seen at any company I've worked for previously. This means, advancement opportunity is there if you prove yourself.
Pros
team atmosphere, compensation, classic cars!
Cons
IT failures, older systems
Gateway
General Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 14, 2017
I have worked here for 10 years and love it. The opportunity is there if you are willing to work hard. They pay is good and the hours are much better than most car dealerships. I put in between 40 and 45 hours per week normally. Being around the cars is awesome and hearing the stories the customers tell on a daily basis is interesting and you can learn a lot if you listen to them. If you like classic cars this is a great place to work.
Pros
Pay, Vacation, Benefits, Hours