Gateway Classic Cars

Gateway Classic Cars Employee Reviews

United States41 reviews
You work. Get to see classic cars daily, Owner will know you by name pretty quick. weekly pay. Depending on placement. The Jobs there differ from each position. call center calls people all day. marketing promotes and goes to shows. sales call and talk to potential buyers and sellers.
Wow!!! What can I say. Major issues internally that I refuse to discuss. Corporate Office not supportive at all. Best part was getting to know the customers & being in a showroom of classic cars.
I was hired as the videographer for Gateway Classic Cars of Las Vegas. In the beginning, I loved my job. I was encouraged by my regional manager to be creative with my pictures and videos. I was given a lot of praise from my co-workers and my boss.

Eventually, my regional manager expressed that upper management made it difficult to operate and make changes for the better, and decided to leave the company. That's about when things started to go downhill.

Gateway made it very clear that they preferred quantity over quality. So I began cookie cutting all my videos. Everything looked exactly the same, the only difference being the vehicle.

I did that for a while until gateway decided to eliminate my position and offer me another lower-paying job within the company that was the equivalent to a janitor, all while still having to take pictures and videos, but no longer editing them. Other videographers in the company decided to leave right away. Either way, I chose to stay with Gateway, but I decided to take all my equipment home and the quality of pictures and videos dropped significantly more than before as I was now using Gateway's extremely cheap equipment, and seeing how I wasn't a videographer anymore I shot as a janitor would.

With that being said I still got all my duties done in a timely manner.

Eventually, someone called Human Resources and told them that I would disappear for hours on end, fell behind on my work (pictures and videos of cars). All of which were lies and I could prove it. But Gateway never even thought about investigating the claims or talking
 - more...
Pros
Maybe a nice desk to sit at, Free donuts on the last Saturdays of the month, Depending on your position you are provided a laptop.
Cons
Unpaid breaks, No clear sense of management, No voice in a small company, Scummy sale techniques, Tons of Pointless emails, Slow old laptop.
When I first started, it was a dream job. Good money, good management, and great overall positive work environment. After the manager in BDC took another postion within the company, the new manager slowly began changing the entire department. People became demotivated, and constant changes. He tried to promote the team to do better for his paycheck, not ours.
Relaxed and quiet place to work.
Very few co-workers.

Working weekends are a must.

Must be a people person.

Must like repetitive work.

May have to deal with difficult customers and defuse situations.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Gateway classic cars is a really cool concept but its too new in the area we live in for us to be busy. There was not enough work to fill the entire day.
If you are willing to put in the work the top management and owner will recognize and compensate. It can be stressful but the end results are worth the time. Sometimes the owner asks too many questions when management should be responsible, but that comes with the territory of working for this company.
Pros
insurance, vacation
Cons
demanding owner
I learned a lot working as a sales representative. I enjoyed the cars. Working with people and making their dreams come true. I’ve built many skills and responsibilities working here.
This company is built off of the backs of the hard working sales and consignment staff. The trio whom run this company are completely clueless. Not only on how to motivate and inspire the people whom they are privileged to have work for them, but the cosigners in regions that have the worst customer service track record. A typical day is following leads ranging from 50-125. You must follow these leads daily, regardless if they have stated they are no longer interested or need more time to decide. Pay in meager to say the least. You make a guarantee of $90 a day, with 2.5% of total gross profit for that sales week. You make 3% for working 6 days. You have the potential to make $750 bonus assuming your showroom profits $80,000 for that month. However, the only showrooms grossing 80k each month are Dallas, Atlanta, the Florida showrooms and lastly the cooperate location in St. Louis. The bonus is not paid until 60 days after the bonus month has hit. For Midwest showrooms the average gross is between 40-65k. Expectancy salary each year is somewhere between 25k-35k.
The pros are the people you work with, who see the travesties and share the same sentiment of wishing you and they could do more. Ideas are not heard, and constructive criticism is a dealt with as treason and a terminating offense. They still continue to expand showrooms yet operate as a mom and pop store. They fail to adapt each showroom for its own survival, they operate each showroom off of one eBay account, one email account, one classic market account, so on and so fourth. Showrooms are falling apart, and money
 - more...
Pros
People who understand the flawed business model
Cons
Leadership, company business model, no customer service
Very fun environment. Small team in the showroom, which is nice.
A lot to the position and it’s never the same every day, which keeps things from getting boring. Meet a lot of great people and get paid to go to car shows sometimes. Wish the hourly pay was more for my position, but I do get bonuses and commission based off of bdr and sales success.

Sales and BDRs can make a ton of money if motivated individuals. Obviously can’t expect to make money off sales if you don’t put in the work to sell a car. If ambitious and know Cars generally, will do great.

Office managers are the only ones allowed to take Saturdays off. Everyone else gets to pick what day of the week they want off so long as no one else is taking off.
Company is growing so be prepared to change with it. Leads are driven by the internet, so no need for cold calling. As with any sales job, plan ahead. There can be a few lean months, but for the most part, the pay is great.
Pros
Base salary, plus commission, plus bonus
Cons
End of the month can be stressful, but that is with any job.
Don't get me wrong, I loved working there.. for like the first 3 months. It was a blast getting to see and drive cars you never thought you'd be able to drive.. But CORPORATE SUCKS!! Kind of feel like the CEO had a problem with me even though my work is what made HIM money. I was lied to about how much I could make. They took advantage of what I was capable of and treated me like a kid. I have a DEGREE lol. But Oh Well.. On To Bigger and Better Things.
Pros
Cool Cars Everyday
Cons
Time off, Pay, Ceo, Co-workers
Do not expect to make what they tell you. If the inventory is low/old, you'll never be able to sell enough regardless of meeting or exceeding goals. Their sales process is also corrupt and misleading to customers selling their cars. If you enjoy being ripped off and being encouraged to do that to customers then this is a great place for you. Owner also openly bragged about his $15k plane ride to employees. Cool cars though...
Pros
Cars.
Cons
Long hours, high turnover, low wages, etc.
Worked as a Marketing Agent. Started off great. Set records at locations for car intake. Red flags once people started getting let go for trivial things. Management couldn't figure out how to motivate employees to work harder. Money would have been the way to go but they tried near everything else instead. BDC manager is suppose to be there for the BDC marketing team but they always get roped into blaming BDC department for everything because management cant be adults and accept responsibility. Will hire anyone into management who will be ruthless to the lower employees including HR Department. Would set new quota requirements on the fly or face termination in order to fire people they didn't like. They would do this in the middle of winter. Would constantly change pay rates and commission bonuses to confuse people and cheap people out of any real money. Sales team made all the money. Management would have multiple meetings daily and not allow any input from other employees. Carpet was full of mold. Management searches through desks. Typical day is firing off 100 calls a day to craigslist car ads trying to get them to list with the company(which they had to pay to do). Setting appointments, logistics to the showrooms, advertising events at your showroom. Gossip was ripe. Had a great Christmas party though. So. Bonus.
Pros
Nice showroom at the Flagship
Cons
Short lunches, the blame game, low pay, contant pay changes, management schemes.
Wish I would of read more reviews. No job security. Pay structure can change at any moment. Cheap company. Sad that they don't appreciate their staff. Laid off 10% of the company before holidays. Customers always upset with the company.
Pros
Working around cool cars.
Cons
No career development.
This place is awful. They care more about profits than ethical treatment of buyers and sellers. They change the rules on a whim, and will do everything they can to take money out of employees pockets. Management is completely inept and clueless.
Pros
You get to see some cool cars.
Cons
Zero leadership. Management does not care about employees.
A lot of truly great talented people work here, adding to the pleasure of classic cars and great customers. Wonderful concept mishandled. Salary estimates here presume you are hiring into one of the 5 cities that almost earn enough to pay for the other 11 money losers due to over-expansion of an obviously and significantly flawed model. Past long-term management left for this reason and it hasn’t changed.
After 2 years here, I just noticed these reviews average about 1 every 3 months. Please take with a grain of salt that each and every 5 star review (5 total) were the only current employee reviews and only over a 15 day period. Eliminate this brief cluster of gushing 5 stars from the only current employees would drop the average to closer to reality.

Management choices have always defied logic. Working here you just have to scratch your head, shrug it off, and dodge the write-ups that the business model requires each file to be filled with for every employee, regardless of competence, profitability, and skill. Very Weird. Maybe 1% outside of management ever achieve over 5 yrs. here. Ownership should think hard about this… So much true talent lost…
Pros
classic cars and great customers
Cons
Ceo, management, honesty, business model
The previous reviews sums up a lot of what you need to know about this unorganized and unethical company. Read and keep moving forward to a better job opportunity, or get ready to go through that rotating door. Its was amazing to work with classic cars. There is no doubt about that, but the cons totally outweighs the pros. Its sad because this company has true potential. The owner has incompetent MANAGERS overseeing the company and implementing ideas on a whim. Its horrible. Owner himself makes it nearly impossible to keep his business afloat and running smoothly. There is no structure. Management is consistently throwing stuff against the wall hoping it will stick. Beware, its not a good working environment, no support. They've relocated several loyal employees and their families to work at their other locations to only then turn their backs and ultimately give them the boot.
Pros
Classic cars
Cons
All the above
This is by far the worst place I have ever worked. No support. Commision promised-not delivered. Change the rules at a wim and you have no say. Sr staff is clueless.
Pros
Cons
Many-stay away from this company
There is zero job security unless you are in the St Louis group....and then it is still questionable. Management is so bad that it uses it's employees as pawns so they can save their jobs.
Pros
Nice cars
Cons
They rip off both the sellers and the buyers
under-qualified management.
no structure to any job, or job duty.

"he said/she said" politics to determine write-ups.

lazy hiring process, even lazier promotional process.

no write up structure, employees will just be fired with no warning

constant pay changes based off how much money CEO needs for new business expenses

unprofessional settings such as employee conduct, attire, etc.

no seniority.
Pros
Growth Opportunities from within due to being mom-pop business
Cons
Nepotism, Corruption
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Classic Cars. Our community is ready to answer.
2.5