Gateway Classic Cars

Gateway Classic Cars Employee Reviews

United States54 reviews

carstructuresalechangemoneybusinesscustomerthing

Great place to work, terrible remote management.

Working with the local staff and clients is great. Working with management that's off-site is terrible. Our office managed itself very well, moved a lot of inventory, and had a lot of fun in the process....Management from the home location was often terrible. They became confrontational about money owed and often out employees in a "prove we owe you" situation. Most of the staff was terminated for various situations that were sketchy, others left. The company would do better if management in Chicago were better.

Pros

If you're a fan of cars, you'll never have a boring day, always exciting. And they pay you to attend car shows!

Cons

Schedule, pay, management, policy, and consistency within the entire company.

Terrible

I’ve never worked for a company that was so big on “company policy” but had MANAGERS go against company policy on a daily basis who still had a job there and or were rewarded for their lack of “managing” . With 20 showrooms there is zero team strategies / goals or team development from corporate down to your showroom . I was told the only way to keep my job is to stay under the radar , do less then I was supposed to and to not over extend my customer service / above par work ethics and I would then be considered a great employee . There is zero room for advancement in this company and people who have zero clue how to do their titled job who do nothing to enhance their showroom will never be demoted or replaced with actual humans who know how to run a classic car showroom . Best part about this company is being around classic cars who have more value then the vast majority of people employed by this company .

Gateway Classic Cars insights

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Cool job, bad management

It’s a cool place to work but the management doesn’t do a very good job running things smoothly. They are either micro-managing you or nowhere to be found when you need help. This position does not pay well for how important it is to the whole business. If you like feeling stressed, undervalued, and under appreciated then this is the job for you.

Love the cars, management needs to be restructured

A great job, in theory - but that’s where it ends. Low pay, horrible schedule (two days off a week, but one is a Sunday and the other is some terrible day during the middle of the week), benefits are meh. Decent vacation after a year but nothing off the bat. Just a whole lot of reasons to not work here. The cars are amazing. Some of the customers are, too. But that’s where it ends. The classic car consignment world is controlled by an insane couple. The ex-wife of the CEO of gateway is the CEO of streetside and they hate each other. They care about growth and money at the expense of all of their great people. Absurd.

Pros

Nice cars, ability to drive vehicles you never thought possible, genuinely amazing coworkers in some locations.

Cons

Legit everything else. Everything that makes a job a job. Pay, management, communication, expectations, scheduling, benefits. High high turnover. All red flags.

High turnover

Job is pretty much nothing like the job description. Training is spotty and mixed. Management isn't helpful and can't be trusted to do what they say they will. Pay structure is a disaster, and they will always give you reasons why you didn't get paid for something. Turnover is very high through whole company and you think you can make a difference, only to find out you are not treating customers well.

Pros

Meet nice people as customers

Cons

Pretty much the whole operation

The training was non-existent

There are many land mines when trying to sell other peoples classic cars...especially in the state of Kansas! And, unfortunately when buyers and sellers are unhappy, and they usually are at Gateway, the management tends to take the lying words of the customer over the employee that works hard everyday, represents the company well, tries to fill-in and do the jobs of employees that have abandoned the company, plus, even though I needed a hip replacement and was just diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure, management at Gateway fired me because I mistakingly told a customer an incorrect pickup date of a Hellcat Challenger that had an existing lien. Pathetic.

Pros

Getting to go home

Cons

Their HR dept

Nothing fun about working here

The office staff is jammed in rooms like dungeons. Mold on carpet. Hated going to work everyday. Training is bad. Can't find any help so the people at other locations have no support.

Pros

Cars

Cons

Management was poor

The cars are great but compensation is poor

Managers are located in St.Louis and rarely accessible when needed. Lots of turn over and customer complaints about how the cars are stored and the prices being too high.

Pros

The cars!

Cons

Very difficult to hit a bonus due to how it’s structured

Management is horrible.

This is by far the worst company I’ve ever worked for. Management is of no help when it comes to solving problems. They treat customers like they don’t matter.

Very unorganized

No help from management, constantly changing policies, the company does not care about its customers or employees there is a revolving door when it comes to the staff

Pros

Fun job working with classic cars

Cons

Poor commission structure

Potentially awesome job dragged down by poor management.

This is a job that should have been extraordinarily enjoyable. Many aspects of the job were very enjoyable. As an Inventory Consultant, I got to work car shows, schmooze with wealthy car collectors, work with some amazing automobiles, hang out with show car builders and car clubs, and get involved with the areas car community in general. Those things are great and you can have some success if you're good at networking and know cars, however, if you care about your personal reputation or ethical business, stay away. Dishonest sales teams, poor management, lack of communication between departments and a general lack of ethics make it hard for a genuinely honest and ethical person to maintain much enthusiasm. Success is built on relationships and relationships require trust for success. When a business repeatedly takes advantage of it's clientele, eventually they catch on. When they do, you are the who has nurtured the relationship with them and you get put in positions to either lie to a customer or close your eyes and claim ignorance when they ask questions such as how much profit margin we made on their auto. When unethical practices are reported, it falls on deaf ears. You learn that these practices are coming from the top down.

Pros

Amazing cars, okay compensation.

Cons

Unethical practices, poor management, poor leadership.

Awesome cars but had the job had some downs to it

So honestly I was a showroom support and the job was ok wasn’t the craziest thing in the world, if you like doing the same thing everyday with minimal difference each and don’t mind being alone for most the day it’s a job for you. I was showroom support for about 9 months and I had my fun driving cars that most people couldn’t even get near to touch and I was driving them and getting paid to do so, reason I left is because I really hated the fact I was alone the entire day, 80% of the time I was doing nothing the other 20% I was taking pictures or videos, cleaning or working on something small on the cars besides that I was doing nothing but just busy work. Would I go back yes but only if I wasn’t in college, if your looking for a job and ok with working 9-5 everyday and not full time anywhere else school or work wise it’s a good job but overall if your considering applying for showroom support you should do it for the experience but not for the reliability on a job

Pros

Once in a lifetime job working with cars you’ll Never be able to touch again

Cons

Down time, alone for most of the day besides the time your talking with associates, management sucked at the start of my career

St. Louis is the Devil

-management...terrible. your needs and suggestions fall on deaf ears constantly-there is a 'do more with less mentality'. They will shovel more responsibility on you with no reward in sight. -you will have advancement dangled in front of you but ultimately is snubbed. -anything to gouge your pockets and make company problems your problem. Pay structure is terrible and the promise that you'll make 80+k a year is a lie barring your southern location. -they put quotas on Inventory Specialists while ignoring extenuating circumstances that may complicate their success-ultimately it comes down to if you like the people that you're surrounded by and if you can hold your own amidst the BS, then yes, you can do this job. -there are periods of time where you'll make decent pay here but in the slow season of winter it will balance out. YOUR BEST YEAR you can expect 50k gross in a mid west showroom. that's the accurate truth. expect closer to being in the 40s though. -your life here will have its moments but is for the most part frustrating as a whole. Cars are amazing, some of the people are too. Just need to decide if it's worth it.

Pros

Cars, some of the people

Cons

Management, pay, corporate

Great viewing of classic cars

You work. Get to see classic cars daily, Owner will know you by name pretty quick. weekly pay. Depending on placement. The Jobs there differ from each position. call center calls people all day. marketing promotes and goes to shows. sales call and talk to potential buyers and sellers.

Major issues

Wow!!! What can I say. Major issues internally that I refuse to discuss. Corporate Office not supportive at all. Best part was getting to know the customers & being in a showroom of classic cars.

A company that doesn't care about their employees...

I was hired as the videographer for Gateway Classic Cars of Las Vegas. In the beginning, I loved my job. I was encouraged by my regional manager to be creative with my pictures and videos. I was given a lot of praise from my co-workers and my boss. Eventually, my regional manager expressed that upper management made it difficult to operate and make changes for the better, and decided to leave the company. That's about when things started to go downhill. Gateway made it very clear that they preferred quantity over quality. So I began cookie cutting all my videos. Everything looked exactly the same, the only difference being the vehicle. I did that for a while until gateway decided to eliminate my position and offer me another lower-paying job within the company that was the equivalent to a janitor, all while still having to take pictures and videos, but no longer editing them. Other videographers in the company decided to leave right away. Either way, I chose to stay with Gateway, but I decided to take all my equipment home and the quality of pictures and videos dropped significantly more than before as I was now using Gateway's extremely cheap equipment, and seeing how I wasn't a videographer anymore I shot as a janitor would. With that being said I still got all my duties done in a timely manner. Eventually, someone called Human Resources and told them that I would disappear for hours on end, fell behind on my work (pictures and videos of cars). All of which were lies and I could prove it. But Gateway never even thought about investigating the claims or talking -

Pros

Maybe a nice desk to sit at, Free donuts on the last Saturdays of the month, Depending on your position you are provided a laptop.

Cons

Unpaid breaks, No clear sense of management, No voice in a small company, Scummy sale techniques, Tons of Pointless emails, Slow old laptop.

Casual constant changing environment

When I first started, it was a dream job. Good money, good management, and great overall positive work environment. After the manager in BDC took another postion within the company, the new manager slowly began changing the entire department. People became demotivated, and constant changes. He tried to promote the team to do better for his paycheck, not ours.

Relaxed and quiet place to work. Very few co-workers. Working weekends are a must. Must be a people person. Must like repetitive work. May have to deal with difficult customers and defuse situations.

Cool Company

Gateway classic cars is a really cool concept but its too new in the area we live in for us to be busy. There was not enough work to fill the entire day.

If you work hard you can succeed

If you are willing to put in the work the top management and owner will recognize and compensate. It can be stressful but the end results are worth the time. Sometimes the owner asks too many questions when management should be responsible, but that comes with the territory of working for this company.

Pros

insurance, vacation

Cons

demanding owner

Sales

I learned a lot working as a sales representative. I enjoyed the cars. Working with people and making their dreams come true. I’ve built many skills and responsibilities working here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Classic Cars. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits