Gateway Community Industries Employee Reviews

Nepotism, Unethical, Incompetent Management, Unrewarding
Administration, Accounting (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYSeptember 10, 2018
The same tired people have been employed there for many years.
I pity those who are stuck in Residential.

Gateway remains a refuge for staff with mental and emotional illnesses who have risen to the level of their incompetence.

Unfortunately, this unhealthy culture will turn many new employees there back to Indeed . com for a less sick atmosphere.

Perhaps not Gateway's fault but staff not equipped to handle serious residential issues. Could be a dearth of funding or a delusional board of directors infected by typical small town crony-ism.

The turnover in Residential is very high.

Residential Counselors sit on their butts, eat, and smoke.
Residential Administration is bereft of competence.

The poor residents they "serve" would be better off living in a homeless shelter or dare I say, out on the streets. Really!

If you have few skills and little training, aim low or are desperate for employment - this place would be perfect for you.

Those in Administration (90% aged women) need to be clients rather than staff.

To be fair there are a few good people there, but avoid the following:

Anything related to vocational support. (Employment specialists).

Anything related to residential. (They will literally rob the residents, and I'm referring to administration, not the residential counselors.)

Anything related to Food Service, PROS, Create or any mental health clinical services.

This place makes the Trump White House look like a thing of beauty in comparison. (OK, slight exaggeration.)
Pros
Great place if you like to smoke, complain and are a woman over 50
Cons
Intense nepotism, seriously underfunded, incompetent management
Decent job
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Dutchess County, NYApril 24, 2018
This was a decent job, it paid okay and was rewarding. It was not a difficult job. I found the managers to be decent. The culture was a little cliquey, but that is the usual in group home and residence settings, sadly.
Pros
decent work
fun and delightful people to work for
Custom Cleaning Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYDecember 13, 2017
All around good place to work. nice people. it can be stressful at times. I would recommend working at Gateway Community Industries. The people are nice and very helpful
Pros
Weekends off, paidHolidays
Cons
Sometimes so busy, you dont get a break
Stressful work environment that does not have ethical standards
Residential Counselor/QMHP (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYNovember 9, 2017
The hardest part of the job is dealing with a manager who has no interest in backing up the frontline workers, such as us residential counselors. A typical day at work consists of the unpredictability of the day's tasks and the boss adding their work onto the staff, without any training on new implementations/forms or direction on how to proceed. The organization has unrealistic expectations for staff to manage large caseloads in conjunction with random assignments that arise daily. The other difficult part of the job is having an unclear and vague job description that includes any and all other duties as assigned, meaning there is no limit to tasks we are instructed to do. The workplace culture as a whole is poor, but my co-workers are great and we make one heck of a team. This is also the most enjoyable part of each day and the job. The management lacks the ability to lead and does not stand up for staff, but often against us. I have not learned any more than I already knew, as there is no room for advancement or professional growth in this organization.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Poor management
Waste of time don't even bother giving up a month waiting
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYNovember 7, 2017
Management has worked for too long together and cover one another. A long process to get hired which is about a month or longer. Different answers for the same concerns and definite favoritism. Don't complain about anything and don't expect a raise ever period. There are really good agencies out there but this is not one of them. The benefits are the worst I've seen in a while as well.
Pros
??? not sure
Cons
Managers/HR
It was ok
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYOctober 31, 2017
It was at times fun but most of the time it was miserable the staff never did anything about the trouble makers and no one got fired even tho they should have but over all I miss it
Pros
I hung out with my friend
All encompassing
Residence Counselor and Per Diem Counselor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYJuly 11, 2017
Dedicated and hard working environment. Many different individuals are served and many different aspects are addressed. Job placement, job training, ADL skills, housekeeping and budgeting are just a few skills that staff work on with individuals.
Poor
Accounts Payable Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYMay 23, 2017
Overall not a very nice place to work, the Accounting department. Manager was very stand off lacking any personality. Ran the department in a threating environment and did not share the most basic information with staff. Never complimentary on a good job done and always looking for someone to make an error in judgement or procedure.
Pros
Employee base generally very nice people.
Cons
Poor salary structure and medical coverage.
Caring and Dedicated Group of People
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYFebruary 23, 2017
This is an amazing organization that truly cares about the people they serve. If you are looking for a job in the Social Services, this is one of the best agencies in the area.
Pros
Vacation time, days off, personal time... dedicated staff.
Cons
No raises.
Rulels changed with adminiistration
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYJuly 24, 2014
No consistency in upper management and rules varied depending on who you spoke to. Favoritism towards some of the staff and the majority fell on all the others
daily challenges
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYMarch 27, 2014
Typical day starts early and ends late. Depending on the department (residential or vocational), the scheduling varies greatly. I have never held a management position with this company. I have learned that life is not always easy or smooth. Taking a position of respect has big shoes to fill. I have also learned that the customer is not always happy. One has to have skills in understanding and empathy towards the customer to gain the results that are desired for both parties. The hardest part of my job is an unhappy customer. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see someone succeed, despite their own previous self doubts in their own success.
Productive Manufacturing & Assembly
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NY 12401July 12, 2013
Gateway Community Industries, Inc. is a not for profit organization catering to individuas with physical and or developemental challenges.
A typical day would be performing time studies to determine the pay rate for piece work jobs, evaluating the performance of individual clients with hourly paid positions. Documenting processes for new jobs was also a priorty.
Overall, my cowordkers were the best people I have ever worked with.
The hardest part of the job was getting informaion to the accounting department to pay individuals for new jobs that were started immediately.
productive and friendly workplace
Maintenance trainee  (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYMay 4, 2013
i enjoyed my working and learning experience at gateway community industries .
Pros
free lunches
Cons
health care
Great Community Service Organization
PROGRAM SECRETARY (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYJune 30, 2012
I have learned a lot about several agencies and their functions such as OMH, OPWDD, ACCES-VR, Taconic DDSO, etc.