Gateway Health Plan Employee Reviews

Dying on the vine
Finance Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 12, 2019
Over the last few years, Gateway has gone from a promising growth story to one that has lost or exited contract after contract. Performance has been so weak over the last 12 months, leadership has been forced to exit multiple states as a result of unresolved sanctions. While current leadership continues to pin these exits to prior leaders, many have been in their roles for over 6 months and nothing seems to change. They seem more interested in selling a bill of goods than addressing the bill that is coming due. There have been multiple rounds of layoffs, which will likely continue so these same leaders can make their bonuses. All the while, the company continues to shed members at an alarming rate to competitors. With the prospect of losing part or all of the company’s major contract in the next year, joining Gateway at this juncture would be an incredibly high risk proposition.
Pros
Compensation is solid
Cons
Long hours, overworks with limited understanding of impact, risk of losing major contracts in the next year, leaders that don’t know how to lead a turnaround even though they talk a lot
Company is imploding
Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 6, 2019
poor quality and high administrative costs will eliminate it from winning Medicaid bids
CEO is only interested in self promotion
All new executives were unemployed before joining
Ok place to work
Utilization Review Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 1, 2019
Gateway is an ok place to work. Company is under new leadership. Computer systems outdated. Departments do not communicate with each other. My immediate supervisor and manager are fair and appreciate hard work. It’s hard to get answers to work related questions sometimes.
Pros
Volunteer day, vacation
Cons
Old computer system, communication between departments is poor
Good experience
Registered Nurse - Behavioral Health Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 30, 2019
I gained knowledge working with my colleagues in fields that were not exclusive to just the RN case management role. I learned about various social services organization and was able to independently find our members services and organizations outside of the immediate Pittsburgh area to better serve their wrap around health care.
Pros
pay, tuition reimbursement
Cons
no time for appointments outside of work
fun productive environment
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 14, 2019
Gateway is a great place for advancement. The management is focused, driven and dedicated to their one main goal which is to satisfy their members. Very friendly work environment.
Less than stellar, but safe if you don't intend to advance
Medicaid Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 12, 2019
Everyday I would go through minimal suspensions and run out of work between 3 to 6 hours into the work day. People would be having decently loud conversations or listening to music at their desks. Some would wander over to others cubicles for quick chats.

The managers were non existant and would dodge our requests for additional training or help, but would always take the time to send out a team wide email about what we shouldn't do.

What you came to understand was that you were incharge of figuring out your own workload, and the only real answers you got was either through errors or a decent lead. Supposedly you can work from home but I havn't seen anyone who really deserved to work from home given the opportunity.

The hardest part about this job was understanding the basics of the job due to the lack of decent training. We were trained to do claims completely wrong during our training period, and we were given next to no room to understand our job when we got to the main floor. That and the cafeteria is over priced with only "healthy options" available.

The benefits are decent, and there was a in house doctor available.
Pros
lots of spare time, able to talk to your neighbors, decent benefits
Cons
lack of training, inadequate management, poorly managed resources
Horrible Management and HR
Sales (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 11, 2019
The leadership team are horrible individuals. The medicaid plan and its operations as been run into the ground. HR stands by and supports hostile managers forcing good people to leave everyday. Run or get out now before the RFP is awarded these "dummies" will surely finish off the company.
Pros
people
Cons
A horrible leadership team
Wonderful work experience
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 10, 2019
Gateway is a great place to work, friendly environment and room for growth, it s also flexible and offers training for almost everything, I love the longevity with this company.
work here if you want to
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 8, 2019
There are plenty reviews online abut how horrible it is to work for gateway so I am not even going to list all the things wrong with the company . All I will say is work here at your own risk
Management in claims is clueless and hires and promotes unqualified family members over employees with more knowledge and seniority.
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 1, 2019
Replacement of all upper management due to incompetence and mandatory overtime instituted due to poor management in claims department. Nepotism and discrimination when hiring and promoting.
Pros
Nice co-workers. Pretty good benefits. Good location in Pittsburgh.
Cons
Poor training, unrealistic expectations, not allowed to speak to co-workers, can only ask questions in email to support staff, won't get an answer, you'll get in trouble for not having all of your work done.
nice co workers, poor managment and horrible training
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 27, 2019
very nice co workers, would like job if we had better training, pressure to do job, and meet production, but no help is provided to do job correctly just let you know what you did wrong no real direction on how to fix it, a lot of guessing and assuming, all could be fixed if training was better, very laid back environment flex start time, no scheduled breaks and lunches, can listen to head phones oh and don't have to talk on the phone to do job. great benefits too
Pros
benefits, flex start time, no phone
Cons
poor training, no direction, stress to meet production with little guidance
Good Company to work for.
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 11, 2019
Gateway was a good company to work for. I enjoyed my time there. The training that was provided was 6 weeks and could be more for this type of position
Pros
Excellent Pay
Cons
Contract Work
Lack of Support from HR
Supervisor, Call Center (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 3, 2019
Valid concerns taken to HR regarding director. Mass exit of managers, supervisors and staff. very low moral and lack of trust. HR did not care to hear the issues nor did they take action on them even when evidence was supplied. The response was literally if you don't like if we suggest you find another job. So I did
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Upper Managment lacking proper experience to ge effective
Advancement
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 4, 2019
Working at Gateway Health Plan was a very pleasant overall experience. I learned knowledge and advanced my skill set with the ever changing Healthcare Environment.
Disorganized Approach to Leveraging IT for the business
Senior Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 31, 2019
Gateway has a lot of turnover on the business side and the IT side. People with Gateway experience often move into the business side of the house to get away from the IT culture.
Stressful
Provider Service Representative (Current Employee) –  PGH, PADecember 11, 2018
Provider services is very stressful you don't get trained on proper info you get promoted based off of favoritism and not knowledge they have trainers that pull reps to teach the class
Pros
Cons
everything
Official response from Gateway Health Plan
January 14, 2019

We appreciate your feedback. Know that we remain committed to encourage a fulfilling and meaningful career for our employees. Your concerns about management are taken seriously. We encourgage you to reach out to your HR Manager.

daily activities
Oracle DBA (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 5, 2018
check my backup
create user and roles
Some days the tickets will take me towards troubleshooting, some days towards performance tuning or migration based on users’ request.
· When I receive the tickets, I first acknowledge and prioritize them based on their severity.
Official response from Gateway Health Plan
January 14, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We appreciate your feedback!

Exec. Admin. Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 31, 2018
I enjoyed working with my IT team, they were a great bunch of people, like an extended family.

I would have loved to retire from Gateway, however, my husband was transferred to another state for work.
Pros
free lunches, pot luck get togethers
Cons
No cons
Busy day at GHP
Senior Business Process Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 22, 2018
I worked at GHP for two years and found my work rewarding and my days were busy with activity and meetings. I was able to network across the organization given my role.
Temporary nurse position for Hedis Project. management and staff were very helpful, and easy to work with.
Utilization Management Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 10, 2018
I received adequate training for the assignment, good feedback on cases reviewed, cooperative staff members to work with. We worked with an outside vendor to help expedite the project. I was able to utilize the company computer system to produce quality case reviews. We met our targeted dead line. I have an opportunity to return to this company in a few months for the 2018 Hedis Project.
Pros
Occasional free lunches, adequate breaks, good work hours
Cons
Temporary assign through a staffing agency

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Health Plan. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight