Gateway Pediatric Therapy Employee Reviews

Featured review
Gateway Pediatric Therapy selected this as a representative review
Good opportunity for college students
Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIMarch 13, 2019
Good management; many opportunities available to add experience to your academic pursuits especially in the field of psychology. Competitive wages for a college student working part-time and can be flexible with scheduling also.
Pros
Great hourly pay, learning opportunities, assisting children with ASD
Great work environment with lots of opportunity for growth
ABA Technician (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIApril 1, 2019
Came into the position of an ABA Technician with little experience working with kids and a Psychology degree. Had a 40 hour training week that was very helpful and included hands-on training that helped me become more comfortable implementing the therapy day to day. The technician position is a really great start for anyone looking into a Psych or ABA related field and the company provides lots of opportunity for growth. Some days were tough but my coworkers were great and seeing the progress of the kids I was working with made it well worth it. Would overall recommend working here, especially for those looking to start or figure out a career path.
Pros
Room for growth, really fulfilling week to week, team environment
Cons
Some tough days
gateway
Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIMarch 21, 2019
Overall great coworkers, but supervisors do show favoritism to certain workers. Good to begin your ABA career but not to stay forever. There are some very hard days on the job, but help is always near.
Great working with kids, hours are inconsistent
ABA Therapist (Current Employee) –  Bingham Farms, MIMarch 15, 2019
I love working there, but myself and many of my coworkers complain that we don’t get enough hours. Full time at gateway is considered 30 hours and I wanted 40, but they only give me 10-20 & I have open availability. The hours are inconsistent so it wouldn’t be possible to live on your own while just working there. They only give hours to the people who have been there for years, whereas it’s hard for new people to get any hours.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
Hours and poor management
Behavioral Therapist (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIMarch 14, 2019
I really liked working here, the atmosphere was really great and clinical spaces were organized, clean and well-stocked with supplies and toys. Pretty good pay, flexible hours and lots of impact on helping clients on the autism spectrum learn skills. Overall really meaningful job.
Pros
Nice atmosphere, good pay, clean workspaces
Awful Work Environment/No Consistency
Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIFebruary 21, 2019
Let's just say that management is extremely rude.. scheduling is extremely inconsistent, there is no sick time or holiday pay or vacation hours given when people are trying to make this a full time career. I LOVE working with the kiddos more than anything. These kids are great and most of the parents are great. The upper management is what makes this job difficult to deal with. The BCBAs do not truly care about the children that they are acting like they help. BCBAs are comparable to the grandparents of children who love to give hugs and praise the child for being cute, but as soon as they misbehave, they ship the kiddo back to the parents, or in this case, the technician.

Moving onto scheduling now.. hours are as inconsistent as the weather in Michigan. If a technician is to ask for more hours, scheduling will call 15 mins prior to an opportunity and then have an attitude when you aren't flying off your couch to pick up the hours. On the other hand, if you try to close down your availability at all, they will cut your hours on the very next scheduling period. While some struggle for hours, if you make friends with management, you typically will get 40+ hours per week. Along with the funky, ever changing hours, lunches are never calculated into the hours you are scheduled, nor are breaks. As far as Michigan labor laws are concerned, breaks and lunches are not a thing at Gateway. The handbook says that for every 5 hours worked, technicians can get a half hour to hour lunch break, but those are never put into the schedule and you, often times, have to ask to have a lunch break
  more... between working with three different kids all younger than eight throughout an entire day.

I'm going to sum this up shortly. I could go on about every aspect of the job at Gateway. It is a good place to start up and get experience or have a part time job, but not for a career because of the inconsistent hours and completely biased pay. The management will try to get away with any shady business they can with technicians regarding cancellations, drive time, kiddos showing up late, and switching shifts. If you are going to work here, kiss as much managerial behind as you can if you want this to be your career. Otherwise, be ready for some consistent shadiness and be ready to stand your ground on hours and how you are treated.
Pros
Kiddos and Families
Cons
Management, Scheduling, Pay, Benefits
Very Vague
Behavioral Therapist (Former Employee) –  Bingham Farms, MIFebruary 6, 2019
This company hires individuals before doing a thorough background check and immediately puts them around children. Policies were not explained and when someone inquired about policies they were told “just don’t worry about it”. No one gets a lunch break. They have a very high turnover rate. They offer benefits to full time employees only but never define what constitutes full time or offer full time. Unprofessional and far too laid back.
Cons
No breaks or benefits
Management/ employee respect was disappointing
Behavioral Therapist (Current Employee) –  Bingham Farms, MIJanuary 28, 2019
I worked there for about 8 months before I could no longer handle working for this company.

I was very excited accepting this position directly out of college and was promised 35-40 hours/ week. Compensation was lower than I was hoping ($16/hr) but it allowed me to move home from college and was in a field I was highly interested in. The woman interviewing me seemed passionate about ABA as well and this company seemed like the right choice for me.

I found out shortly after taking this position that my initial impression couldn't have been more wrong. The company's passion for ABA is there, no doubt about it - I just wished they valued their employees a bit more... It didn't take long to realize that upper management was operated primarily by a group of women that were more friends than co-workers. This doesn't seem like an issue until one of them decides they aren't your biggest fan, then the whole team seems to treat you poorly. Individuals that made friends with upper management were promoted, no matter how long they were with the company.

I was told upon hire I would be receiving 35-40 hours per week. I understand we cannot control weather factors/ family cancellations, but I ended up averaging 20-25 hours per week if I was lucky. Upon notifying my supervisor, I didn't receive more scheduled hours - just a few extra last minute calls to pick up a session when another therapist was unable to make it. There were very few times where I wasn't asked to stay late or cover a session with only minutes before the session started. Not only was I unprepared to work with a child
  more... I had never met before, but the child's therapy session was compromised as the child was being tossed between new therapists every other day.

The turnover rate in this company is insane, partially due to individuals finding that ABA is not for them which is understandable but also due to the fact that management does not value good workers. ABA tech's hourly wage is insufficient with the hours provided to them, with no PTO - if you need time off, your paycheck suffers and in this field time off is completely necessary.

My primary issue was the way I was treated by management. I politely asked for more hours, but if I was unable to cover a session last minute I was given attitude and my schedule for the following week would have less hours... I understand I was requesting more hours, but it would've been nice to know my schedule for that day before leaving my home in the morning - instead of making adjustments 20 minutes before they'd like me to be somewhere and tossing me between 2-3 homes on opposite sides of the county without time to stop and eat.

My final straw was when grandfather passed away and I notified the schedulers my need for time off - it took 2 days to hear back from any of them & no condolences were offered. That was when I'd had enough and found a company that truly values me. I don't fault this to the CEO, I'd met her and believe she had no idea the troubles management was causing
Starting career
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Bingham Farms, MIJanuary 7, 2019
you get many opportunities as a practicum student here. Pretty good mentorship and company training if interested in developing a behavioral health career. I also worked while taking classes and they were flexible with my hours... Consistency is really important with clients though, but there were no problems if there was clear communication from my end about availability. Great experience overall..
Pros
Good support and mentorship, flexible hours, friendly workplace
ABA therapy
Behavioral Therapist (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJanuary 6, 2019
I work with many passionate clinicians and friendly coworkers, and get to make a real impact on children with ASD—who are also just some of the most INCREDIBLE kids I've ever met. Nice clinics and therapy space too, there is a lot of focus on making sure the client experience is top-notch and a good company culture overall.
Pros
Great therapists and kids, clean workspaces
Horrible
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  MichiganDecember 13, 2018
Horrible place to work! Try some where else. Schedules severely inconsistent. Manipulate you to take up hours when you don’t want to. Vacation requests are barey adhered to. Not a good place.
Pros
None.
Cons
Inconsistent, management sucks.
I really enjoy working here!
Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIDecember 7, 2018
I see a lot of growth they hire within. You will know of a a new available position before outside people. Everyone is friendly and willing to help! Can be challenging at time but it's fun working with kids!
No consistency
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Therapist (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIDecember 3, 2018
This company has little training. Your schedule is never the same... They pressure you into picking up hours almost every shift. Too many clients and not enough technicians. Also there are no breaks and scedueleing will book you for over 9 hours with no breaks. Very exhausting and not worth the pay. Would not recommend!!!!
Cons
No breaks
Learning Opportunities
Behavioral Technician (Current Employee) –  Warren, MI 48093November 13, 2018
Gateway was a stepping stone for me, I've never learned so much one year being in this job. They give you the opportunity to advance yourself, through training or even shadowing higher authorities.
Pros
the families
Cons
the hours
Caring BCBAs
ABA Therapist (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIOctober 24, 2018
Definitely a meritocracy with many helpful and caring BCBAs that you get to work with. Gateway is very focused on their mission to help kids on the spectrum grow and are really client-focused, so you have to be dedicated and sometimes flexible. It's a pretty unique job opportunity where you assist and work with children, plus a lot of room for professional growth. I’ve had opportunities to work at different clinics and clients during my time at Gateway, which helps you learn new skills and keeps your day-to-day interesting.
Pros
Great team, flexible hours, working 1-1 with kids
Gateway
Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIOctober 23, 2018
The company has a strong culture of working hard and doing your job well but coworkers are friendly and there’s a lot of collaboration. I find the therapeutic aspect of the job very engaging and I get to work with some amazing kids—it’s really inspiring to see their progress over time. There are many incentives for employees to pursue a long-term career at Gateway (like reimbursement for tuition and other accreditations) so it’s a good fit for someone looking for more than just an hourly position.
Pros
Amazing kids, nice clinics to work at, friendly coworkers
Great experience
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Bingham Farms, MIOctober 22, 2018
I really enjoyed my time at Gateway, and the opportunity to directly work with children with ASD here. Coming from a psych background, Gateway helped me discover my passion for providing care to kids with special needs and to grow professionally in the field of ABA therapy. Like many healthcare jobs, some days were challenging but I was able to be actively involved in improving the lives of clients, which I found incredibly gratifying and one of the best parts of the job. Was motivated to start graduate studies relevant to behavioral health this fall after gaining a lot of valuable experience here.
Pros
Working with kids
Lacking
ABA Therapist (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIOctober 18, 2018
Gateway has a small amount of BCBA's that genuinely care about the growth of their clients. The BCBA's and BC's are overworked and have limited supervision from their superiors ensuring their duties are being properly done. The therapist are ignored and ill trained. The training is only a week and the company hires with little to NO experience (WITH CHILDREN!). They have an awesome graduation rate for clients but that will not last long with their lack of attention given to their staff.
Cons
no breaks, low pay
Rewarding
Behavioral Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIOctober 15, 2018
Working as a behavior technician with the Gateway team has been rewarding; you get lots of support and training immediately when you start. The company also has a great mentoring program to help you succeed, along with many opportunities to start building a career in behavioral & special needs therapy + financial assistance for undergrad/grad school programs and getting professional certifications in the field. Really enjoy being 1-on-1 with children and every day is a little different which makes the work engaging. The position can be fast-paced at times (no different than other healthcare jobs), but there’s a really collaborative culture here and like i mentioned you get a lot support. i’ve never felt i couldn’t reach out to supervisors/managers for additional help.
friendly peers who assist in a fast paced clinical practice
Unpaid externship (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CASeptember 25, 2018
Worked as an intern for 160 hours, and jumped around from 80 hours on administrative duties as well as the remaining hours in back office. I would say that being well trained in both positions gave me more versatility when it came to applying for positions within the medical field.
Pros
great place to gain experience youre involved in everything. Administrative/Back office
Cons
Not much room for advancment it seemed like.
I love the clients but poor treatment of techs
Behavior Technician (Former Employee) –  Bingham Farms, MIAugust 25, 2018
I would never recommend working as a behavior technician at Gateway. This place is a revolving door of technicians, and it is so incredibly unfair to the children. As a parent myself, I know how important it is that your child is with someone who knows them fully and that this person is someone you can trust. At Gateway, you could have a different technician with your child each day of the week, sometimes new technicians in the middle of the daily sessions. This makes for extremely inconsistent therapy sessions, severely delaying your child’s growth. They have an extremely strict policy about the technician’s role in a child’s therapy, and it includes NO contact with the parent outside of drop-off and pick-up. Again, as a parent myself, if a technician is in my home, I would care more about keeping in contact with a technician over a BCBA that meets with my child a few hours each week; they know very little about your child compared to the technician that (could) spend countless hours with your child (if consistent). As a technician, you are treated like garbage at this company. YOU CANNOT MAKE A LIVING OFF OF THIS JOB. You are not paid for cancellations, which happens a lot. Your schedule could be cut from 40 hours to 20 hours, and you are left without that money and trying to make it up elsewhere. In the event of cancellations, they will call you to cover shifts. But, for example, they will call you at 8:20AM to cover for a 9AM session. I don’t understand how they think this is realistic. You are not paid for time off. You are not paid for the appropriate time you are there  more... - they only allow you to be paid an extra 5 minutes before/after sessions; this is not realistic. Training specifically tells you to be there 10/15 minutes prior to your session, yet you are not paid for this time. SOAP notes are NEVER completed in session; there is simply no time to write a lengthy note while remaining engaged with your client. This leaves every technician spending time (unpaid) at home or between sessions to write their notes. You. Don’t. Have. Scheduled. Breaks. Imagine a 9-6 session with a 4 year old with no scheduled breaks. Need I say more? In my opinion, this company has just gotten too big for its own good. I imagine this company was thriving when it was much smaller, but at this point, they care extremely little about their technicians. Technicians are the backbone of this company, but they surely don’t treat you like you are.  less

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Pediatric Therapy. Our community is ready to answer.