Gateway Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Cota
Occupational Therapy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMay 9, 2018
I worked at GRMC for almost 15 years prior to leaving for my clinical education in speech language pathology. I enjoyed working with the patients throughout the hospital the SNF, ARU, medical/surgical, telemetry and ICU units.
worked as floor nurse for 20 years
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILApril 3, 2018
Worked as floor nurse for twenty years at this facility. Wanted to do something different so went to Anderson Hospital, where I learned case management.
low pay, high stress
nurse (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 29, 2018
High stress. Easy to get turned around in the building. Low pay. You may get pulled to other floors a lot, like I did and then you have to figure everything out all over again. 12 hour shifts are nice as long as they don't all turn into 14-16 hour shifts every time.
Pros
Pleasant staff for the most part
Cons
Pay too low
Kettler
Behavior Health Unit - LPN (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 7, 2018
This is a very high stress job, but it can be just as rewarding. It feels good inside to make people feel better about themselves. One of my favorite parts of my job was listening to the patients' stories.
Friendly work environment
Radiology Technologist (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILFebruary 15, 2018
Great place to work. All staff is very friendly and helpful. Management and hospital administration really care for employees. Fast-paced with house patients, out patients, and emergency department.
No structure/ horrible work atmosphere
PHLEBOTOMIST/LAB ASST (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILFebruary 6, 2018
A typical day at GRMC was ok depending on who was working. Certain employees who has strong ties at the job would get away with not doing any work. Pushing the workload on the new employees. The turn-around rate there is crazy. I wasn't there 90 days before I realized how horrible the work environment was. Management could care less about the employees that explains why so many was so unhappy. Within in my short time there three people quit within 60 days of being there. Poor managment from the Director down to the Supervisor (Lead). The turn-around rate is ridiculous.

Its so unfortunate becasue the job itself is ok...
Pros
Experience
Cons
Horrible work environment
Gateway Regional Medical Center
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJanuary 31, 2018
This was not a great place to work. The management is poorly run by people that are incompetent. The work environment is hostile and unfriendly. I wouldn't recommend to anyone
Poorly managed
BHS Therapist (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILOctober 21, 2017
This hospital has many good people working there that wish to make a difference in the lives of their patients. However, the facility is not managed well from the highest rung down to the lowest level manager.
Pros
good colleagues
Cons
Poor management
Very fast paced environment.
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILSeptember 13, 2017
Working in the hospital provided great community and ability to seek out collaboration when it was needed. The moral of other staff members was often low which was unhelpful.
I would recommend Gateway as a place of employment
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILSeptember 11, 2017
My experience with Gateway was I will always remember. Starting off as a cna I took pride in my work. Always went above and beyond. hospital would recognize and tell you to keep up the good work. The hospital had in house training that was beneficial so you wouldn't have to go else where I liked that. Hardest part of the job was when we were short staffed but we all came together and worked as a team to get the job done.Most enjoyable part of my job was making sure my patients got the necessary treatment and care they desired and encouragement for a great recovery and get home soon Gateway is a nice place to work. I would recommend anyone who wants to be in the medical field gateway is a good place to start.
Pros
Free lunch on holidays. In house training
Cons
Busy days when you can't seem to catch up on work
Psych Treatment from those who understand
Clinical Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILSeptember 6, 2017
Granite City is an economically depressed town hovering on the edge of Former Factory Town, but not quite there yet. Full of decay and homeless, the psych ward stays relatively busy. Therefore, they have hired only the finest psychiatric cases to head up their department for psychiatric treatment. I don't know if it's still that way, but it sure was that way in the old days.
Pros
Great people at entry level
Cons
Cuckoo birds running the place.
high standards in the OR
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJuly 8, 2017
Excellent care in the Operating Room. Poor management. Long hours with high turnover. Call in the operating room was very difficult. Many a nights I worked well over 16 hrs and still had to work the next day. Management did not back their employees. Was told, "If you don't like it, go somewhere else." This was after being loyal for 16 years.
Pros
close to home at the time and high standards in the OR
Cons
long hours, high turnover
Don't know
Internship (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJuly 5, 2017
I was only here for a short internship at their mental health department, but what I saw was good. The nurses seemed to care about he patients. There are few inpatient places left, and they seem to try the best they can
Psych units are full of bullies!!! Staff bullies!!
Behavioral Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJune 10, 2017
This place pays excellent but the recent change to require 12 hour shifts despite being hired for 8 hour shifts is poor management. The staff on the female psych unit is full of bullies. The staff plays one against the others and I was tired of crying when I left work due to immature idiots.
Pros
pay
Cons
see above
Very stressful, underpaid, and overworked.
Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMay 20, 2017
I enjoyed working with my other coworkers. But they are always so understaffed they just keep putting more and more on you. I went from doing the job I was hired for to doing my job as well as 3 others jobs as well. The worse part is managers are not hired based on work. Lots of "its who you know, or who your related to.
Pros
They offer fun events for the staff diffferent times of the year.
Cons
You dont always get to participate because they are so understaffed.
Psychiatric Nurse, In-Patient Adult Services (Former Employee) –  Granite City, IL 62040May 15, 2017
A typical day consisted of medication administration and group sessions. The management team was great, easily approachable, and fair. The hardest part for me was working with children.
General review
Staff Nurse OB and OR (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMay 10, 2017
Don't really have a lot to say. Pretty average place. Loved the people. Is a for profit institution. A little different management than I'm used to.
Typical hospital
ER Technician (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILApril 21, 2017
Staff is very professional and well trained. Generally a good place to work and be a patient ( I've been both). The pay was average and benefits could've been better.
Pros
Got to do a lot of neat stuff.
Cons
Pay. Benefits
Inconsistent workplace which does not treat employees in a consistent manner.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILApril 4, 2017
A typical day at work was very busy with a generally high patient to nurse ratio. I learned a lot, something each shift. Management which worked with us directly were helpful when the floor became very busy. The staff was very supportive of each other, helping when others were busy. The hardest part of the job was watching people when they were given a bad diagnosis. The most enjoyable part was the co-workers.
Poor Management
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 30, 2017
The high acuity patient to nurse ratio is unsafe. This has caused a high nurse turnover and burnout. The staff is friendly and has made working there a pleasure.
Pros
Great medical staff
Cons
Always low staff and never any help.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Regional Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Gateway Regional Medical Center Reviews by Location