Gavilon Employee Reviews

fast paced great work relations
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Rock Port, MOMarch 17, 2019
unloading trucks full of grain makes the days go by fast
work relations are great
the hardest part about my job was down time due to maintaining the quality of machinery
Productive, friendly, and lively place to work
Sr. Confirmation Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 27, 2019
It was a fast paced, lively atmosphere with a very modern building. The opportunity to keep a busy schedule and to feel you contributed to the overall company on a daily basis. Opportunities to learn new systems and processes as well as ways to streamline processes. The management was highly knowledgeable about all processes.
Pros
friendly atmosphere, family friendly
Cons
sold our division
Stressful enviroment
LOCATION COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALDecember 4, 2018
I have been with Gavilon for 6 years. We have had 5 managers and countless merchandisers within the 6 years. The new management environment leaves more to be desired in the treatment of employees and is not a supportive/constructive leader. The lack of communication is frustrating and makes it difficult to be the exceptional employee that previous managers encouraged and empowered.
Pros
Cons
very long hours, stressful work environment.
Safety and service is top priority
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Fremont, NENovember 28, 2018
The Fremont NE Gavilon location is busy year round with inbound/ outbound trucks and loads railcars. Teamwork and safety are essential to all operations moving along smoothly. There are many areas to work in operations. I learned a lot working here.
Pros
Lots of paid holidays
Cons
Long hours during harvest season
Productive Workplace
Grain Merchandising Intern (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 19, 2018
By far one of the best companies I got to intern/work for as an undergrad! Gavilon is an amazing company that believes in their mission and company. While I was interning for them I didn't feel like the typical intern at other companies that "fetch the coffee." At Gavilon I was treated like I was part of the team and had responsibilities like I was full-time.

I was included on all of the corn/wheat calls every morning and afternoon, was taught how to read boards, calculate freight, and spend time in other departments, and visit different Gavilon elevators. It has been by far one of the most challenging and best internships I've ever had the privilege to be a part of.
The mentorship that is established at this company is by far one of the best that I have seen. If you're looking for a company that will challenge you in the best of ways this is it.
Pros
On-site cafe, on-site gym, work-life balance, management
Gavilon sucks, going to CGB
Operator/Laborer (Current Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 5, 2018
Manager doesn’t care about his outside employees. Pays new hires more than the long time employees. Superintendent shows favoritism when it comes to giving people time off.
Pros
Work on the river
Cons
No time for yourself, not paid enough for the work we do
Seasonal
Accounting Clerk/ AP (Former Employee) –  Joice, IAOctober 29, 2018
Flexible hours, fast-paced when it is harvest time. Environment is hectic at time, but it is part of their business. I found it is exciting when they are busy and not boring.
Poor organization structure and management (DDG)
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 24, 2018
The compensation and benefits were great. The facility itself is a great location in the middle of downtown Omaha, downtown parking is provided to employees (at a cost to the employee). There is an on-site gym as well as a cafeteria where vendors will come and serve employees for breakfast/lunch/both.

However, there were managers who had NO IDEA what they were doing. There was no "leadership" and the only guidance given was to ask leads (not managers) what is necessary and within regulations. When a concern was brought up, nothing was done by management to address the concern, and only stated that things will get better soon. Never did, and only got worse as time progressed. Taking time off wasn't worth it! You would take time off, but no one would ever cover your work while you were out that you had to work on the weekend to catch up (off 1 day, behind 3 days). Then you would get in trouble for trying to catch up, but no solution to fix the problem. The work itself was easy and straightforward as long as you have a SOLID accounting background, the volume of the work was just too overwhelming.

Would be a great company—but they need to focus on the organizational structure and the actual value of its managers and employees.
Pros
Pay, benefits, gym on site, food services on site, leased parking spaces available, ability to work from (if managers decide YOU specifically can)
Cons
Poor management, no work-life balance, little to no teamwork, favoritism
A challenging and entrpreneurial environment
Insurance Director - Led (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 24, 2018
A highly competitive and enjoyable environment which challenges its employees every day.

The company provides opportunities to grow and learn within one's respective job position.
Productive and clean environment to be able to due ones work.
Sr. Confirmation Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 1, 2018
The atmosphere was exciting, busy, and friendly. The managers were knowledgeable and able to contribute to your daily processes and fair. Benefits great.
Pros
Benefits, clean environment
Cons
Sold energy portion
work
worker (Former Employee) –  Alexis, ILAugust 24, 2018
not alot to say it was working for corn and beans.. good job for someone that is needing work and likes to shovel corn, beans and snow.great staff....
Stressful at times and hardly got a goodnights rest.
Elevator Operator (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXAugust 2, 2018
Sometimes you must come in at very early hours of the day to work 16+hour shifts. It's hard to come back in the next day without proper rest. Sometimes working overtime daily.
Pros
Healthcare
Exit Interview Process
Specialty Grain Merchandising Intern (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEJune 30, 2018
Was given plenty of time to prepare and practice for exit interviews. Was a very competitive position and only five people were offered jobs. The interview went well just did not receive a full-time position.
Pros
Work Advancement
Cons
Long Hours
Good company
Superintendent of Operations (Current Employee) –  Clarks, NEJune 25, 2018
Good company great people and willing to maintain a safe work place. Enjoyed my time with Gavilon and had really outstanding crew at the Clarks NE location
Typical desk job
Windows 10 Upgrade Contractor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 27, 2018
Only there for a few months as a contractor, slow-paced unless an event happens. Very employee centric, often had events to help employees have fun at work and special restaurants come out to the buildings cafeteria. Worked with a very specific group within the company and wasn't even directly informed of termination, recruiter from the company that contracted me out to them had to tell me. Wouldn't really recommend working with that specific "smart people" group. Rest of the company seemed nice enough though. Also has an on-site gym within the building for employees which is always a plus.
Closing notes: Great for employees, horrible for contractors.
Liked working for gavilon.
Laborer/operator (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSMay 17, 2018
Good company to work for. Worked with some good people. My Fiance has medical problems and is hospitalized alot and they were very understanding if I had to miss work for her. We have two Children so sometime when she is sick its Hard for her to tend to both of them.
Pros
15 vacation days as soon as you start. Understanding company and willing to teach you.
benefits
Horrible management no common sense
Someone's puppet (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INJanuary 15, 2018
Bosses are completely blind to how a grain elevator actually operates. On paper they can explain anything but come time for hands on they are dumb as a box of rock.. horrible work place, no pay for the work.
Cons
productive great place to work
LABORER (Former Employee) –  Kuttawa, KYDecember 13, 2017
I really enjoyed working at this job. Only thing that was bad was it was seasonal and to get hired on full-time they went by who has been there the longest. Other than that it was a great place to work with great people.. Very chilled place to work but also had to work hard and get your work done.
Pros
very relaxed work environment
Cons
seasonal work if your not hired full-time
Horrible
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILNovember 13, 2017
Gavilon decided they wanted to be in the crop Insurance business for about 6 months. Built up a good sales force the. Sold us off like wild livestock.
Great culture
Fitness/Wellness Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 4, 2017
Gavilon is an awesome place to work! :) Very fast paced business but they stressed work/life balance. I managed the fitness center in the corporate office. The managers encouraged employees to utilize the facility and participate in the fitness center challenges and wellness programs to keep them healthy!
Pros
Fitness center!! :)