Gavin de Becker & Associates Employee Reviews

Good place to start, but very little chance to grow.
Executive Protection Specialist (Former Employee) –  MidwestAugust 23, 2019
They make a living off overcharging their clients and underpaying their employees. Management at the lower levels is pretty good, but corporate oversight is terrible, and disconnected.
Fair Work Environment
Senior Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAJune 25, 2019
Your success at this company is in your hands. While there are long hours, they generally can work around any scheduling requests and overall are looking to make every employee successful.
Pros
Good Pay, Strong Ability to Succeed
Cons
Long hours, client driven schedule.
Top tier Executive Protection Company
Senior Team Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 24, 2019
Gavin de Becker is certainly an elite protection company. You know this from day one of training when you attend the EPS academy in LA. The instructors are very knowledgeable and highly professional.

They set you up for success and allow you to excel at the region you work in. GDBA does allow you to somewhat choose your own path. If you feel you could be utilized at a different site or with a particular client. Well, if you can back it up with an acceptable reason then management will certainly be willing to make adjustments.

I do intend on remaining with GDBA and making it a full time, long term career.
Pros
Potential to work: field, commercial and residential
Cons
Knowing where you will be in 3-5 years
Great company, professional staff, commitment to excellence.
Security Staff Agent (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 23, 2019
GDBA was a great fit for what I was looking for coming out of the Marine Corps. The culture of commitment, and service is exactly what I needed in a new career.
Gdba
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 23, 2019
Pros: Growth opportunity and what seems like unlimited OT.

Cons: inconsistent schedule due to quick growth of the company causes multiple shift adjustments.
Senior technician (Former Employee) –  Studio City, CAJune 18, 2019
I worked in the technology division, which no longer exists.
It was the best job I ever had. I worked in some of the most amazing homes on the planet helping to protect ultra wealthy & famous clients. Very rewarding work.
Pros
I felt that my expertise was very much appreciated by the company.
Cons
They missed a huge opportunity to be a major player in high end residential security installation.
Standards Exceed the Norm
Senior Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 28, 2019
I have been very fortunate in my career with GDBA, being given ample opportunities to succeed. I have spent most of my career in the field, which has afforded me the chance to work with and see the quality of work from GDBA protectors vs other companies. I find that when we are working with others outside GDB in the field, we see more people selling off duty police and "high quality protectors". Now, these individuals may be outstanding police officers, but fail in the mission of protection. There has been a quality to GDBA's men and women who dedicate their lives to protection, and when I see it, it reaffirms why I joined the team years ago.
Pros
A great Senior Leadership Team, I have never once asked for help and not been given the advice or insight from an individual, no matter their title.
Cons
Work/life and pay will always be two areas that security companies struggle with, GDBA has been open in acknowledging these and have been actively working to fix.
Only for a certain type
Executive Protection Agent (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 21, 2019
This company has great potential for certain people looking for this type of security work, however the schedule is extremely chaotic and you start off with no sick days only PTO (that accrues very slowly). Not much oversight unless you're in CA the management is spread thin and constantly changing. Schedules are why most agents leave fairly soon after employment, constant travel requests and last minute details make it a hard environment to adapt to if you have responsibilities at home. Anyone who can just pick up and go at a moments notice this job is good for you.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long hours, schedule
Executive Protection (EP) as a Career, not just a Contract
Detail Leader (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 1, 2019
Going for the most honest review of the company as I can here. First point is that EP is not for everyone. It might sound glamorous because of how Hollywood portrays it, but Hollywood is in the business of entertainment not fact finding.

When you work in EP, it's a lifestyle change and it's not just a 9-5 job. It will demand long working days (12+ hrs), travel away from family, and you'll most likely miss a lot of "events" because our clients are usually busy during holidays and special events as well, which means we will most likely be traveling with them. Now this all depends on your assignment and which site you work at, but 12 hour days is the norm in the company.

With that being said, I think GDBA does EP better than any other company out there.The fact that there's benefits and paid time off is usually unheard of in the industry because the norm in the industry is contract work. Contract work can be unstable especially for family, GDBA provides a little better job stability, but demands long work hours still.

I believe the negative reviews of the company are from people who did not quite research what they were getting into. Their expectations where different from the realities of the industry which leads to disappointment.

The hours can definitely be brutal , but it's a client driven industry and we work when our clients work. This is a HUGE point to understand before getting into EP. Long working hours is not isolated to just GDBA. Overall though, I think GDBA is a good company to work for. Not perfect by any means, but management sincerely concerned about
  more... the well being of the company and it's employees. It's continuously grown since I've joined the company, so there's a lot of room for growth if you prove yourself capable.  less
Pros
Growing company which means opportunities for growth, Travel details with clients, Participate in exclusive events which are confidential
Cons
Poor work/life balance; It's manageable with some good time management skills.
Entry Level
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  CAApril 8, 2019
GDBA is a good place to get into the security industry if you have no relevant experience. However if you have experience they are not particularly interested in paying you monetarily.
Pros
"Diverse"
Cons
Low pay, poor management, lack of reasonability
Success at Gavin De Becker & Associates
Protector (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 28, 2019
Gavin De Becker & Associates is a great place to work. There are career opportunities at every level and for those willing to apply themselves and work hard, there is a great work life waiting for you.
Pros
High level of continuous training, merit based company, opportunities to develop and grow.
Cons
Difficult work/life balance. Protection is not a job for everyone.
Excellent opportunities and advancement based on merit
Senior Team leader (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAMarch 27, 2019
Working at Gavin de Becker & Associates is a challenging but rewarding career. The training and resources are second to none, taught by men and women who have vast experience from many different areas including military,law enforcement and Emergency Services. The culture and people you are surrounded by are top tier professionals who genuinely care about being the best in the business of Executive Protection. Promotion opportunities are in the hands of every individual as the company promotes solely on merit creating vast opportunities for those that want to challenge themselves. Salary and benefits are fair and pay raises are steady and easily projected. Work hours are long and often last minute scheduling changes occur which can effect the balance between work and home.
Pros
Competitive pay and benefits, merit based promotions, excellent training
Cons
Long work hours, frequent last minute schedule changes
Secret Service for the Private Sector
Sr. Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 27, 2019
Leading the Industry of Executive Protection.
Competitive pay, para military environment, great benefits, on going annual training, plenty of opportunities for entry level and experienced protectors. Some of the current opportunities include, but are not limited to: residential, commercial, field, armed covert operations, domestic and overseas travel with the clients.
Pros
Opportunities, advancement, field/ travel with the world's most influential people.
Cons
Hours and schedule will not always be predictable as with any other EP position. However, if you need certain days or time off, make it known in advance and schedule can be adjusted.
Good if your single
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 21, 2019
Not much of a life working for this company. You deal with high profile individuals. You can travel a lot but if you work in LA most likely you wouldn't have to travel. But if you live in the East coast you are traveling more than you would like sometimes.
Productive workplace with advancement opportunities
Protector II (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAMarch 15, 2019
First and foremost, this job is what you make it. Your time here will be infinitely more enjoyable and beneficial if you're a hard working, driven individual who can work with a team. If you're looking for a company that encourages and rewards hard work, self-propelled advancement and allows for some pretty amazing opportunities that very few people get to experience, I highly recommend this company.

The leadership at this company is top notch and there is very little ego that exists above the protector level. I've found it easy to speak with my upper management personnel about a wide array of issues, concerns and inquiries.

All in all, this is a great company to work for if you want to work and work hard. As mentioned earlier, this job is what you make it. You can sit back and let the days go by or you can step up, make yourself available for last minute details, gain experience, advance yourself and progress through the ranks of a great company.
Pros
Leadership advancement, promotional opportunities, travel opportunities.
Cons
The schedule can get tough at times. Low staffing makes it hard to balance an even work/life.
No worth the time
Security Staff Agent (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 11, 2019
For the amount of hours you work and how you have to go above and beyond just to be treated like the help. The management and higher level agents in the area have been in place for years and nothing is going to change. Certain people make two or three times what the people who do all the work make.
Hard Work Will Get You Far
Protector (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 4, 2019
What started as an entry-level EP job turned into a career that has enabled me to cement myself into the industry. It was not easy, and as expected, I started as a residential security guard.
Pros
Unparalleled opportunities
Cons
Long days, long commute
Terrible management, poor work/life balance
Worker (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 29, 2019
Where to begin? Gavin de Becker does a great job at promoting itself, but wow, its a whole lot of nothing. You will waste away in an office while playing the role of a personal assistant and/or property manager. You will very rarely have anything that could qualify as protective work.

You work at least 12 hours a day and you will never have a set schedule. Often, you will not know what days you are working until that Sunday and even then, your schedule will likely change. You will work both days and nights in the same week, so forget about sleep, and you can never call off because the firm is so short handed because of how terribly management treats their employees. If you do call out, whether it be because you're sick or you have a family emergency, you can rest assured that you will be harassed by your leadership to come in. They will tell you that you have to come in and if you don't, you will be black balled and shunned. This is by far the worst job one could have, and I really wouldn't wish it upon anyone who actually values their lives outside of work.

Company morale is poor, and its because nobody can afford o do anything outside of work, and because the job itself is just draining. The company really doesn't value its employees.

The culture is your typical post military/law enforcement alpha males and females which honestly can lead to some great relationships. At the same time, it also creates a shark tank atmosphere where you have to be careful who you "trust," if anyone at all.

The only plus side of this job is that you are able to meet and interact
  more... with crowds that you would otherwise never be able to. You get to drive fancy cars, eat pricey food, but when its all said and done you get to drive home to your one bedroom apartment and wonder when your next shift will be and hope that you aren't fired or black balled for something ridiculous. That's this firm, in a nutshell. Stay away. Friends don't let friends work here.  less
Pros
Experience working with celebs and experiencing their lifestyles first hand
Cons
WORST schedule, low pay, poor management.
Challenging leadership/Management
Security Staff Agent (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 14, 2019
Lacks in leadership/management training, promotions are based on needs not experience or if individual(s) are ready for those roles. Has a high school feel, you have to be popular or in with the kool kids, or in that circle to fit in.
Pros
willing leaders outside of your area for support
Cons
Pay, leadership
Excellent career choice
Senior Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 10, 2019
Nearing 1,000 employees is so awesome and a reflection of GDBA's quality of service to its clients, as well as effective leadership within its ranks. I'm forever grateful to have played even a small role in that. Sincerely, I made a great living while working at GDBA and was there for over 15 years. That itself says something when you consider I have a big family at home, a mortgage, took yearly trips, and the list goes on. Every company has its pros and cons, and this company may not be for absolutely everyone. However, to be completely honest, it's a legitimate place to make a career at.
Pros
Opportunities to grow, to travel, to learn, train, work with great people, with fellow veterans, with seasoned professionals. Overall, a very real place to make a career at. Pay was great, health benefits were top tier, paid vacation: awesome.
Cons
regular schedule changes, balancing work and personal time can be challenging in the beginning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gavin de Becker & Associates. Our community is ready to answer.