Gaylord Specialty Healthcare Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Supportive staff that works as a fmaily
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTJune 11, 2018
This work environment is like nothing else I have ever experienced. The entire hospital comes together as a family and it truly makes going to work enjoyable. Every single person works as a whole and is willing to go above and beyond for not only for the patients but for each other.
You can find a better job
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wallingford, CTJune 2, 2018
Basically, if you apply to Gaylord, do not take a position on Lyman 2 or Hooker 2.....unless you have absolutely NO choice. The manager for that floor has personal as well as managerial issues that need to be resolved but somehow get overlooked by upper management....even though there have been multiple complaints about the way this manager handles staffing, time off, childcare issues, family deaths, medical leave, lack of communication, the choice in nurses for the units, and the list goes on. Once you are hired to one of those 2 units, you have no opportunity for growth, no chance to apply to another unit within the hospital, no communication with the manager, your lucky to get time off and any requests or concerns you may have will be ignored or "bandaided". This manager also goes on vacation and does not tell the staff. Not worth the stress seeing your killing yourself due to lack of staff and time off. Hooker 2 is a very active TBI unit and Lyman 2 has a patient population of paralyzed individuals that are HEAVY even with the use of a Hoyer and who can't do anything or very little for themselves....one aid and 2 nurses is not sufficient for what those patients need and the number of them on the unit. A stressful environment is totally manageable with teamwork, a proper manager and communication which Hooker 2 and Lyman 2 lack.
Pros
Watching patients get better and be able to go home!
Cons
Certain nursing units and nurses
very strong organization to be associated with
Director Facility Support Services (Current Employee) –  Wallingford, CTApril 4, 2018
I have had a good run of 10+-years.
I am very proud of our accomplishments, both as as Manager and those of my Team.

"Family environment" is best description of the culture
competitive and patient safety focused.

excellent cooperation between peers

good communication hospital wide

winter weather presents a challenge for out of town commuting employees

overall and on balance this is a very good organization to work for
Pros
beautiful campus setting
challenging Traumatic Brain Injury floor
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wallingford, CTNovember 13, 2017
I currently work on the traumatic brain injury unit. I am responsible for all aspects of patient care and safety. It is also my responsibility to multitask and maintain accurate charting of vitals, intake output, weights, re positioning and transfers of all patients and report to the incoming shift. Seeing my Patients recovery from serious accidents is definitely the most enjoyable part of working at Gaylord.
Pros
We all work as a team
Cons
prefer not to say
Advanced and Supportive Hospital
Per Diem Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Wallingford, CTOctober 8, 2017
As a student and per diem therapist Gaylord Specialty Healthcare was absolutely phenomenal and an amazing place to learn. The evaluation and treatment they provide to their clients is outstanding and they truly care about advancing their employees to reach their most full potential.
Pros
Supportive staff, technology
Very complex nursing skills needed
Charge Nurse, Unit Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTOctober 4, 2017
My years as RN at Gaylord were always challenged. Challenged to become the BEST nurse. Different transferable skills learnt. Complex nursing covering TBI, Rehab, Ventilators.
Clinical experience as student only
Clinical Experience (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTSeptember 15, 2017
My experience on the units of Gaylord Specialty Care was as a Nursing student only. Overall was a great experience and learned a lot. Emphasis on specialty care.
Amazing
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTAugust 16, 2017
Great nurses and staff! It was a lot to learn. And you literally get to witness miracles happen on a daily basis. It was a pleasure to work here. So many great programs also for employees and the food is amazing
Challenging and Rewarding Clinical
Student Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTJuly 26, 2017
I completed my final clinical affiliation at Gaylord and absolutely loved it. The environment was fasted paced and challenging including both patients that were medically complex as well as those with neurological conditions. I had a fantastic learning experience at this clinical affiliation.
A great place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Wallingford, CTJune 15, 2017
I have gained a variety of clinical experience in this LTACH from rehab to complex medical patients. The teamwork within the units is exceptional. I would recommend this facility to peers and patients.
Pros
Teamwork is excellent
Cons
weekends and holiday commitment
Okay place to work
Relations (Current Employee) –  Wallingford, CTJune 7, 2017
Wonderful things happen at Gaylord. The longevity is impressive. However, there isn't too much room to move up or improve significantly as many employees may not necessarily be very open to change.
Great
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Wallingford, CTJanuary 15, 2017
Staff is great
patients are great as well. depending on what department you work for they're pretty lenient with your schedule.
its not a big place but you'll definitely get lost
Good for therapists, not nurses
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTJuly 1, 2016
Great place for RTs, PTs, but if you are an RN, stay away... Turnover rate high. Nurses are working short about 50% of the time
Pros
Nice facility
Cons
High turnover rate, you need coverage for your own vacation time
Excellent quality care
Resporatory Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wallingford, CTOctober 19, 2015
Patient-centered care is the focus of service provided at this LTACH. The Respiratory Care Practitioners are working to improve outcomes and quality of life for all pulmonary patients in the facility.
Remarkable Facility
Intern (Former Employee) –  CTAugust 19, 2015
Gaylord is a special facility. I feel honored to have been able to intern there and experience how much the PT/OTs really care for their patients.