GBW Railcar Services LLC Employee Reviews

2.9
Ratings breakdown
Needs alot better drection
Leadman/Foreman (Former Employee) –  Hollidaysburgh paAugust 6, 2018
Worked there alot of years never seen it this bad ,people who are getting moved into disition making rolls I would not let work on model train set. Have alot of good people left but better change upper four at shop
Pros
Job
Cons
Idoits running plant into ground
dont go there
Freight Car Repairman (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 4, 2018
at GBW, management expected you to perform at 125% of standard allowable time for repairs. There was huge favoritism there that allowed for no advancement in your position. Promises were made that I would be promoted but in 7 years, never happened. This shop is way over managed!! Too much money is spent on switching cars and often, we were told to conserve as much as we could on consumable products but when the office wanted new equipment, the budget was endless....further, cooling fans are often turned off due to the fact that the shop budget pays electric bills and its renters do not contribute...GBW is a poor place to work with some very good fellow employees. it is the employees that kept me working there as long as i did. there was also alot of favoritism to certain individuals that had a much higher self opinion than their actual wealth to the company or its culture...overtime was often mandatory with little to no advanced notice....PTO was used against the employee due to managements inability to control attendance. DONT GO THERE....
Worker ralk about u behind ur back
Welder (Former Employee) –  Cleburne, TXJuly 19, 2018
Worst company I've worked for where they sit up in break room taking about how many people they have ran off. If u want be degraded , perfect place ti work.
Fast Pace Work
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAJuly 16, 2018
A typical day at work as being a fast pace company, I learned to plan ahead and accomplish the tasks that were set before me. Assisted in many projects. Started with the company as an Administration Assistant, but less than six months later after starting with them was given the opportunity to train as a Billing Specialist.
Pros
The opportunity to help better our billing department
Cons
Didnt like the turn around time on our managers, but learned to work with all of them.
Great group of guys to work with and for!
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Coffeyville, KSJune 28, 2018
I have worked at GBW for 5 years and love the job! I would recommend this company to anyone that is looking for a job. I like that you start early and usually off by 2:30 Pm so plenty of afternoon to get stuff done.
Do not recommend
Railcar Repairman (Former Employee) –  Hollidaysburg, PAMay 13, 2018
POOR MANAGEMENT.. Expected top rate work with junk for equipment. They don't want to spend the money to get the part and equipment team members need. If u have a family it's not the right job. Management is HORRIBLE! FROM THE PLANT SUPERINTENDENT TO THE SHOP FOREMANS. Unhealthy place to work. Will not provide the right PPE to protect yourself.. Strongly recommend to not work for these people. Especially HOLIDAYSBURG PA PLANT!!
Hard work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Wood River, ILMay 7, 2018
Dirty work and Low pay and poor bonus. Would stay if more
Money but ledt for mei job. Good supervisors and managers. Better safety over last 2 years
Cons
Pay
Don’t waste your time
Carman/Welder (Former Employee) –  Wood River, ILMay 3, 2018
They do not train you for the job they expect you to be a robot right off the street and know how to do the job! Then if you are too slow your job is threatened it’s not a place to work. If I was you look elsewhere
Pros
Cons
Short breaks management no training
Interesting Indusrty
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dothan, ALApril 17, 2018
Extremely competitive market. Fast paced when work is available. Good management a lot is expected and a lot is given. Family atmosphere. Safety is a top priority.
Good finance management team
Senior Financial Accountant (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KS 66210April 4, 2018
The finance team at GBW was well structured during my time there. Expect heavier working schedule around month end close. Managers and executives treated employees fairly.
Pros
Flex schedule, fair compensation, benefits
Cons
Travel
Railcar Repairman (Current Employee) –  Coffeyville, KSMarch 29, 2018
They were really good about on the job training, Through them I was able to get a lot of training certifications that I didn't get at school. This will help me in furthering my career.
Lack of communication
Manager (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 23, 2018
Understanding the direction of the company would help many people make a decision to stay or go. Culture is non existent and this can lead to additional confusion.
Long Days
SAND BLASTER/PAINTER/PISTON ASSEMBLY (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville FLMarch 12, 2018
It isn't the heat or the heavy lifting that gets you that stuff is easy and you'll build yourself up to the challenge. The company pays well so your're not feeling like you're carrying an empty wallet around however the work comes rarely and doesn't last but for one day. You feel stuck pushing brooms for days at a time awaiting more work while management speaks of layoffs and less work for the next year. It seems tiring and unstable.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Little work
Dirty unsafe work environment
Welder (Former Employee) –  Wood River, ILMarch 5, 2018
Morning meeting, outdoor elements depending on climate can be factor, working on metal rail cars. climbing up and around the cars.
the manager rarely made appearance. there was no fun part of the job.
benefits
Would not recommend.
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Scottsville, TXMarch 3, 2018
Absolutely horrible management. They care nothing about their employees. There is no such thing as an excused absence so that they can fire you whenever they choose. They give you pto but take it if you have to leave work for any reason or call in sick. They will come in on Friday and say you have to work Saturday even if there is no work just to get the man hours. And the management is horrible through the company as I have worked at several of their locations.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Short breaks. Safety goes out the window when it comes to car completion.
Gbw sucks need union representation
Switch man (Current Employee) –  Chehalis, WAFebruary 25, 2018
Gbw has poor management top to bottom they bo not care about employees.gbwistheculprit.com see what the employees think about them.it is a good place to learn how to weld then move on.if the union gets a good contract this all could change!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Learn a trade
Cons
High turnover bad benefits no support from management
just a good job over all
Blaster (Former Employee) –  Hockley, TXFebruary 21, 2018
the job was good as long you did what they ask you to do and I learn a lot from very experience people the management was good as well the hardest part of the job was the rotating shifts that was the hardest things of all
Pros
sometimes on thanksgiving they would give away turkey
workplace culture
Corporate EHS Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 18, 2018
This was a dirty dangerous place to work and the people they hired to do the EHS programs were not well trained or qualified. They had a high injury rate and the operation managers cared more about production time than time supporting safety programs. So training was insufficient.
Not a fun place
Railcar repairman (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAFebruary 7, 2018
Most of the people I worked with were ok. You had to watch your back when it came to the management. Working on railroad cars was interesting. It can be a dangerous work place at times because of the railroad cars are always being moved around so you always have to be alert.
Benefits
Cons
work schedule
love my superviser
Railcar Repairmen (Former Employee) –  Fitzgerald, GAFebruary 6, 2018
i loved the guy i worked for.... He made the job fair and very easy to find your place as a team member.. What i didnt like was the insulation part of this job!!!!!!!