GCI Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Amazing place
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 13, 2018
I would work there again! Friendly co workers and great benifits as a full time employee you receive dental and health! The discounts on products and service was definitely a plus!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 3, 2018
I love the management, like the work atmosphere and I've enjoyed working with GCI. Learning new things everyday is my routine, I love meeting new people everyday at the job.
Growing company constantly changing
Universal Service Fund Manager (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 26, 2018
We are very reactive instead of proactive. GCI employees are smart and talented individuals to work with. Pay and benefits are competitive. The job is stressful. The culture is chaos. A lot of inefficient systems, so heavy reliance on Excel.
Pros
7 hours PTO every pay period
Cons
lack of communication between depts/silos
Good place to work at family oriented
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Wasilla, AKApril 4, 2018
A nice place to work at with competitive pay for the Mat-Su. There is a diverse group of people that works there. Working with the public is great experience. You meet all walks of life.
Pros
They have health coverage and 401K package
Cons
You tend to have to go through a lot of managers to figure out a simple question sometimes
Fast-paced Environment
Wireless Data Administrative II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 3, 2018
The networking side of the business was very fast-paced, constantly changing, and very stressful. The positions often times called for after hours on-call and overtime was always available. The hardest past of the job was balancing the after hours work with home life. The other majors issues were the constant changes to the network and trying to stay abreast of the changes and technology. The most enjoyable was the understanding and flexibility of management. There is always something to learn, however, with the work load, there is not always time. It is not uncommon for only one person to know how certain equipment worked and was configured. This information is only for the networking side, I know the other departments operated differently.
Pros
Overtime, great benefits, opportunities for advancement
Cons
Stressful, fast-paced
Fast paced, productive workplace
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 14, 2018
Friendly atmosphere with high expectations regarding job performance. There are quite a few employee incentive programs to encourage excellent customer service.
Great Workplace and Benefits
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  AKFebruary 20, 2018
Fun culture, great benefits, really cares about employees and customers. Training programs could be improved however management is great! Customers can be difficult but GCi offers solutions for all.
fast paced
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 7, 2018
fast paced work place. Call center setting staff were expected to take 5+ calls per hour covering cell, internet, and cable TV services with a 25% close rate for sales within GCI product lines . management had a open door policy . The culture at GCI was ever changing due the evolving in entertainment media. In my opinion it was the upselling in a depressed economy. The most enjoyable part was the incentives /contest offered by HBO, Cinemax, STARZ, and SHOWTIME.
Pros
coworkers willing to help one another to meet goals
Cons
break were based on call volume many time breaks were cut short or not given
great company
Accounts Payable Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 5, 2018
It is a good company to work for ... once locally owned, now Denver company owned. co workers are great to work with and can learn a lot from them. Employee discounts are great.
sometimes fast sometimes slow
Recycle technician (Current Employee) –  portland, orFebruary 2, 2018
i was a recycle tech and an a/v tech for meetings. i had 3 buildings to go through looking for recycle bins to fill and replace to be shredded twice a week.

we cut down one building and the work load diminished. got slower. meanwhile, setting up meeting for local and international conferences. audio and video devices were set up in 'such' an order and expected to work properly, which didn't half the time.

it really depended on the time of year it was busy, around the holidays, it was ghost town. during tax season busy. there were days w/o enough hours and days that were slow enough where you walked trying to be busy.
Pros
benefits were decent after a certain amount of time, pay increases
Cons
environment was a bit hostile. back talking. impatient people.
Very diverse place to work
Retail Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 10, 2018
Going to work was pretty fun but could get very stressful really quick. I liked working with my coworkers. When employees did a good job you would get incentives which was really cool.
great company to work for
Field Services Technician II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 17, 2017
this company is a great work experience and a great family to work with. great benefits and great pay, i would of loved to stay around for a long time but had to move on. thanks for the great years
Enjoyed working with GCI and hope to find a new position with them
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Reston, VANovember 6, 2017
GCI is involved in various offerings and as a whole is a wonderful company to work for. The management in general cares about work/life balance and encourages employees to take time off as needed.

There is no "typical" day at work as each contract is different with different requirements and cultures.

Overall I would recommend GCI, Inc as a great place to work.
Pros
Generous vacation plan
Cons
No mechanism for finding a new job within the company
Great career
Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Wasilla, AKOctober 2, 2017
I loved working at GCI and I hope to be back there really soon! The compensation is awesome, the companion general looks out for you and provides exciting benefits among other activities.
Relaxed workplace because they pay so little and have no benefits.
Trim Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 12, 2017
Small company that really needs to grow. Until they grow they will not be able to pay their employees more and therefore will not retain workers. They are a family business that is small now but may grow to something if they actually choose to pay their workers a decent wage.
Pros
Friendly crew, flexible, Family business
Cons
Low pay, no room for advancement.
Productive and enjoyable
Converter Control Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 10, 2017
Stayed very busy. But was still able to have a good time. Very laid back even though everyone was busy. Big thing I learned, especially at a young age was how to manage and take on big responsibility.
They hired a drug addict for my boss
Retail Sales Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKSeptember 9, 2017
I won the job in October 2014 and they hired an alcoholic drug addict partier for my boss and he fired me while he was drunk. I was not allowed to speak with HR to give my side of the story
Energetic company with lots of opportunity ro move up.
Technician 4 (Current Employee) –  Kodiak, AKSeptember 3, 2017
The day consists of starting your( for feild staff) day at the office and depending on what you do, you are either given your marching orders or doing your own schedule. GCI is the leading communications company in Alaska they are very enthusiastic about getting all of alaska the communications it needs to give it it's business and educational needs. It's a great company with tons of benefits.
Pros
Supports its employees, and a friendly place to work
Cons
Your in Alaska. Which could be a pro
I didn't really have a grip on it.
Developer (Former Employee) –  RemoteAugust 31, 2017
There were a lot of people up the ladder making decisions. My project was canceled. I really liked my co-workers and managers. They are a sharp group of people over there.
Pros
It wasn't full of jerks.
Cons
Not a lot of transparency.
Managing Partner
Sales and Manufacturing - Managing Partner (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXAugust 29, 2017
Company Closed
Great opportunities, great partner. The first NDT Warehouse in West Texas. Sales well exceeded expectations. The hardest part of the job, not enough time. Would love to reopen this company again, or be apart of it.