Geeks Who Drink Employee Reviews

Great Side Job in the Evening
Quizmaster (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 27, 2018
You get to perform quizzes, get paid for a couple hours of time, and then get a few free drinks or food at the same time. Not much to it, you just have to have a really outgoing personality, be knowledgeable of multimedia, and it really helps to be geeky and familiar with popular culture.
Pros
Free Drinks, Short Hours, one night a week
Cons
Working Holidays, No PTO, No Benefits
A good place to work if you need extra money.
Trivia Host (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAAugust 25, 2017
Geeks Who Drink is not really a place for career advancement. It is a place you work at for extra money in your pocket. A lot of times the questions are changed, The audio clips you have to download have to be changed or even the video clips don't work. But all in all a very easy job when it goes right on the main office end.
Pros
$25 tab at the pub's you host, Easy job
Cons
Not much money or opportunity to take more shifts.
Good company to work for.
Lead Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 7, 2016
This has been an exciting company to work for. It's been such an adventure to be a part of their growth. All administrative staff work from home which has it's benefits and disadvantages.
Great for part time, allows me to be myself and get paid for it.
Quiz Hostess (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 6, 2016
Geeks is a great company for part time work. My main job as a quiz hostess is to be eloquent and engaging, things that come naturally to me. I can wear what I want, say what I want on the mic (within reason), and really give my nights my own personal flair. It's great to be paid for a position that allows that much creativity.
Growing startup with management issues
V.P. OF NATIONAL SALES (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasAugust 11, 2015
Seems to be a common story with start ups that grow faster than expected. Management wasn't ready to go from 3 full time and 30 part-time employees to 20 full time and about 600 part time employees in a short amount of time.

Every full-time employee started out part-time and grew into their roles. Everyone works remotely so 'typical' day depends on who you are, what you do and how you manage yourself.
Pros
working from home without manager breathing down your neck
Cons
CEO doesn't reinvest in company as much as he could, 600 employees but no HR department
Fun experience, hard to sustain
Host (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2015
Working for Geeks Who Drink, or any company like this, you really have to love it. That, or you have to be the kind of person who can really start your engine on those days when you don't feel like being "on". The company has a culture of encouraging "gentle abuse" between host and audience, and you have to be ready for that kind of interaction, whether you're in the mood or not. This is obvious. I only say this because if this is the kind of thing you are interested in doing because you think it would be "fun", you're right. But it's a surprising amount of work, and that work isn't for everybody.

The most problematic aspect of Geeks Who Drink is the lack internal support. In terms of leadership, it's not fully clear who's who as far as hierarchy. If you need this kind of structure, you will find this frustrating, particularly when you consider that you can do an entire year of quizzes and the extent of your direct interaction with the company will come in the form of emails. Certainly, there are social events for employees, but the employer/employee relationship lacks, and that results in a sort of...let's call it a free for all.

When I say free for all, I mean that there are channels for communication between hosts all over the country, namely a couple Facebook groups used to interact, but these are largely not moderated and can turn a little abusive. Often, hosts have voiced concerns and questions in these forums and have been shouted down for asking something "stupid", which does not foster the idea of equality between employees. Even when this behavior is addressed,
  more... it is equally met with a sort of "if you don't like it, you're weak" mentality.

There is a learned arrogance in the staff--sort of an idea that hosting a pub quiz is the same thing as having power. And while you have to have kind of a thick skin to endure running a show at a bar, the defensiveness and rudeness that's part of the culture, it carries over into day to day interaction within the company, and that can be very off-putting for new hires and veterans alike.

Not to go on too long, but there is also the idea that if a venue is failing due to low turnout, you as the host are almost exclusively responsible for explaining why. Some people in the company simply do not accept that some bars just aren't trivia places--this is not from my own experience, but my observation.
Pros
Great way to make friends, free drinks and food (up to $25) at your venue, not a bad way to make a little extra cash
Cons
The work can wear on you, especially in the winter; Your venue can be taken from you with very little warning, usually because of attendance; Not great repayment for supplies
Smart and funny place to work.
Host and Writer (Current Employee) –  Boston MAFebruary 13, 2015
People who know what they are doing to make it fun and smart. Writing trivia questions, hosting pub quizzes. What's not to like?
Pros
Expressing Yourself
Great for a side-gig
Lead Regional Auditioner, Quizmaster (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 7, 2014
Good opportunity to for exposure in a community, without a terribly large workload for a 2nd job