GEHA Employee Reviews

A positive step in my career at GEHA
Dental Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOMarch 19, 2018
I was able to take another step in my journey with GEHA to advance to new and exciting opportunities. The Dental position opened up a new world of knowledge for me to prepare for my advancement to a lead position,
Alot of employees in the call center take anti anxiety meds.
Customer service (Former Employee) –  IndependenceMarch 11, 2018
Geha has excellent pay and benefits however they come at a price. Very stressful to the point that most employees are on mental health meds. On average the call center rep takes 130 calls per day. You have to stay within a certain call time the lower the better. You get two 15-minute breaks ( which you have to count bathroom time in those), and one 30-minute lunch. If you don't say a million disclaimers, then you get errors. And the disclaimers that they want you to say are all on the automated system when the customer calls in. So the customer gets very irritated when you have to say all the disclaimers again. Some things are more important than money, which is your mental health. Best decision I ever made was to quit GEHA.
Pros
Money and benefits
Cons
Stressful, poor management, expected to go above and beyond for customer but then get written up if your call time is to long.
Good Company
Verification/Claims Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 20, 2018
Depending on the time of the year it could get very busy as a Verification Rep and was sometimes very stressful. The training department was very versatile and created sessions when necessary for changes in policy. The Leadership staff was helpful and offered holiday parties and time for the staff to socialize.
Pros
Good medical benefits, great people.
Cons
Difficult to transition to different departments/promote.
Excellent Workplace
Network Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 19, 2018
GEHA believes in work/life balance and provided opportunities for their employees to embrace this lifestyle. The management level of employees were extraordinary in providing training, explanation and expectations of their employees.
Pros
Excellent workplace for work/life balance
Cons
Salary
Fast pace, production driven
Senior Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 10, 2018
GEHA is a fast paced company that thrives on making our members happy. GEHA is an ever changing company to be competitive. GEHA has Work from home option also
Pros
Work from home option, competitive, member satisfaction
Normal day
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 8, 2018
Clock in
start doing claims unit first break
start claims again until lunch
start claims again until last break
start claims again to end of day
you may have some phone calls spread out during your shift
I do not like working in call centers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJanuary 25, 2018
I worked in Customer Service call center environment. There many times we had to work mandatory OT. The benefits were great. It was hard to move up when I was there because there was a hiring freeze and they would not allow those of us in customer service to move out to other departments.
Cost Utilization Specialist/Care Management (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 22, 2018
Great atmosphere, in most departments, can be very stressful at times, allows employees to travel during open enrollment. Able to telecommute. People are very helpful and team players.
Pros
Retirement, people
Cons
Pay could be better
Love this company
Tech I (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOJanuary 15, 2018
Very relaxed company. There is always work to do. The managers are easy to talk to. Met some life long friends. The benefits are great! It's just hard to move out of certain departments. The company always have activities for the workers. Overall, I love it here.
job security...
Provider Records Technician (Telecommute) (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MONovember 28, 2017
Served its purpose in creating job security as long as you did what you were supposed to. There were a lot of advancement jobs listed; however there was a lot of favoritism happening. Meaning some people were advanced based on who they knew or kissed up to within certain departments. Other departments however had excellent reputations with supervisor-employee relationships. Overall its the same as with any other company. There are politics played, some really nice people, some become family, and some who seem to be out to get you. The old CEO was a wonderful man who listened and interacted well with his employees.
Pros
security, health benefits, pension plan
Cons
cattiness can stress you out
Good place to work;
Provider Records Technician (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOOctober 26, 2017
I log on at 4am.. Review and enter provider information for medical claims for payment. My current supervisor is outgoing and concerned about her employees. She is very approachable and helpful with any questions on a daily basis. The culture of the workplace is diverse which is another reason it is a good place to work. You have the opportunity to meet different kinds of people from all walks of life. The hardest part of my job is logging on at 4am. Although it is optional it is still hard to do. The most enjoyable part of my job is the flexibility of the start and end time each day. There are not set hours as far as when you have to start each day. The opportunity to do other jobs within the department when the need arrives.
Pros
The flexibilty of your daily/weekly schedule.
Cons
Not able to start even earlier.
great benefits
Network Representative (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOOctober 3, 2017
the benefits are great and they have a more than solid pension. the schedule depending on what the job is if flexible with option to start work from 6-9 am.
Pros
benefits and work life
Cons
no room for advancement
Good Place to work
Lead .Net Sitecore Developer / Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOSeptember 29, 2017
It is a good place to work. The people are generally happy there.I worked remote so, didn't have a full picture of the inner workings of the company, and I was contractor.
Call Center is not a great department to be in
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  MissouriAugust 3, 2017
Company is an excellent place to work if you're not in the call center. There is a lot of partiality that is displayed. One of the managers is horrible, she rules by micromanagement and talks bad about others. She does not promote teamwork but rather causes division in the department.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Management, favoritism runs rampant, stressful job
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOJune 5, 2017
GEHA is a fabulous place to work. Management cares about their employees. Some days are more relaxed than others, but each day is pleasant. I've worked here for more than 10 years and it was the best move I could have made. I love working with the diverse group of people I see daily. Another benefit is being able to work from home at times.
Consistant Employment
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOMay 24, 2017
Benefits are comprehensive. Pay is comprehensive. Opportunities for advancement are few. The opportunity to telecommute is great. Office environment is clean and close to home.
opportunites for recognition, peers were like family.
Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOMay 23, 2017
Worked with a lot of different computer systems. I learned how an Insurance company worked. The insurance company actually wants their members to be well. They approve the care plans for their members. GEHA helped to get my Certification in Case Management and even paid for the test. Workplace culture very intense. Management very critical. Got to work with members across our great nation.
Pros
Great benefits. Great retirement plan. Flex time.
Cons
High stress environment. Micromanagement. No socializing tolerated.
Too much uncertainty.
Sr. Security Assurance Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOMay 16, 2017
Looking for other options. I have enjoyed the opportunities at GEHA but there is so much uncertainty about the future plans of the company including leadership decisions.
Job security and excellent benefits
Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOApril 14, 2017
GEHA is a fantastic place to work. Management is well trained, communication between teams and management is excellent. The benefits are good with an excellent retirement plan. The average length of service with the company is over 15 years. The pay is above average for the insurance industry
Pros
benefits, excellent pay, job security
Contract position
Contractor for PCM (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOApril 3, 2017
Would perform daily scheduling and incident resolution for Production Control. The job was micromanaged and I did not enjoy any thing about this position.