GEHA Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great company wonderful managers
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOAugust 3, 2018
I love working for GEHA. It’s a bigger company with a small mom and pop shop feel. The benefits are amazing, the managers are very understanding I would recommend anyone to work here!
No room for advancement
Senior Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOAugust 2, 2018
Raises were small, around 50 cent increase for top performers. Mandatory overtime, shifts were inconsistent, no work/life balance. No meetings and poor training.
High stress low work life balance.
Security Engineer Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOAugust 1, 2018
The work is face paced with little work life balance. The work day consists of a lot of meetings so working after hours is a must to accomplish all tasks. The typical day is at least 10 hours but can sometimes move into the 12-16 hour mark as well as contain weekend work.
Management is not good
Nurse Consultant Case Management (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOJuly 12, 2018
Micromanaged like crazy!!!! Everything is a numbers game!! Supervisor would watch everything you do. Different teams were treated better. There was no consistency in the team. Each supervisor did it differently. Not treated fair.
Extremely stressful
Insurance Examiner (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJune 19, 2018
Management changes make it incredibly hard to do your job. Multiple changes, high production but must obtain a 95% financial accuracy and do all other tasks required. Little to no team work. Lots of stress and poor management
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Poor management
Productive workplace
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJune 18, 2018
Responded to telephone inquiries from members, hospitals, doctors, and providers concerning joining the plan, completing forms, and submitting claims Answered questions, explained benefits and verified coverage, utilized communication skills to assist, reassured and diffused callers so issues could be handled. Answered questions regarding COB and Medicare line of determination .Completed telephone records, supplied all requested information and any additional information necessary to resolve problems Inbound calls from providers and members requesting medical claim status, benefits and eligibility information .Emailed, mailed or faxed EOB’s . I learned how to patiently deal with the patients and provider's when claim was denied and how to resubmit claim to be paid. workplace was independent based. The hardest part of the job was getting the claims paid. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the claim paid.
No advancement opportunity
Data Entry Keyer II (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOMay 22, 2018
The management is AWFUL! No Advancement unless you are related to a Manager, Supervisor or Director. Favoritism here is the worst I have ever witnessed. Forced to work Overtime for the last 2 years straight.I have vacation time but can never actually take a day off because Calendar is always full since they only allow 1 person off in the ENTIRE department. Meeting your numbers is almost impossible if you take a break so you have 8-10 hours a day typing all day, no communicating with anyone or it slows down production. Laying off entire departments and have open jobs but are giving them to people outside of the company with no experience instead of hiring from with in the people that are losing their jobs and are more than qualified for the open positions.
Raises are a joke, even if you go above and beyond. There are ONLY 3 positive things I can say, Company 401k investment every year is awesome. We have flexible start times 6am-9am and you can work from home as long as you meet your numbers.
Pros
Company 401k, Flexible start times, work from home
Cons
No breaks, Vacation never available
I love working at GEHA
Senior Claims Adjustor (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOMarch 22, 2018
I would still work for GEHA if they would allow me to continue working from home from out of state. My husband had an amazing opportunity for a job that was out of state and having already passed on it once we could not pass it up again! I am still hoping between now and the time we have to leave Kansas City they will decide to allow us to work from out from out of state.
A positive step in my career at GEHA
Dental Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOMarch 19, 2018
I was able to take another step in my journey with GEHA to advance to new and exciting opportunities. The Dental position opened up a new world of knowledge for me to prepare for my advancement to a lead position,
Alot of employees in the call center take anti anxiety meds.
Customer service (Former Employee) –  IndependenceMarch 11, 2018
Geha has excellent pay and benefits however they come at a price. Very stressful to the point that most employees are on mental health meds. On average the call center rep takes 130 calls per day. You have to stay within a certain call time the lower the better. You get two 15-minute breaks ( which you have to count bathroom time in those), and one 30-minute lunch. If you don't say a million disclaimers, then you get errors. And the disclaimers that they want you to say are all on the automated system when the customer calls in. So the customer gets very irritated when you have to say all the disclaimers again. Some things are more important than money, which is your mental health. Best decision I ever made was to quit GEHA.
Pros
Money and benefits
Cons
Stressful, poor management, expected to go above and beyond for customer but then get written up if your call time is to long.
Good Company
Verification/Claims Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 20, 2018
Depending on the time of the year it could get very busy as a Verification Rep and was sometimes very stressful. The training department was very versatile and created sessions when necessary for changes in policy. The Leadership staff was helpful and offered holiday parties and time for the staff to socialize.
Pros
Good medical benefits, great people.
Cons
Difficult to transition to different departments/promote.
Excellent Workplace
Network Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 19, 2018
GEHA believes in work/life balance and provided opportunities for their employees to embrace this lifestyle. The management level of employees were extraordinary in providing training, explanation and expectations of their employees.
Pros
Excellent workplace for work/life balance
Cons
Salary
Fast pace, production driven
Senior Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 10, 2018
GEHA is a fast paced company that thrives on making our members happy. GEHA is an ever changing company to be competitive. GEHA has Work from home option also
Pros
Work from home option, competitive, member satisfaction
Normal day
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 8, 2018
Clock in
start doing claims unit first break
start claims again until lunch
start claims again until last break
start claims again to end of day
you may have some phone calls spread out during your shift
I do not like working in call centers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJanuary 25, 2018
I worked in Customer Service call center environment. There many times we had to work mandatory OT. The benefits were great. It was hard to move up when I was there because there was a hiring freeze and they would not allow those of us in customer service to move out to other departments.
Cost Utilization Specialist/Care Management (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 22, 2018
Great atmosphere, in most departments, can be very stressful at times, allows employees to travel during open enrollment. Able to telecommute. People are very helpful and team players.
Pros
Retirement, people
Cons
Pay could be better
Love this company
Tech I (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOJanuary 15, 2018
Very relaxed company. There is always work to do. The managers are easy to talk to. Met some life long friends. The benefits are great! It's just hard to move out of certain departments. The company always have activities for the workers. Overall, I love it here.
job security...
Provider Records Technician (Telecommute) (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MONovember 28, 2017
Served its purpose in creating job security as long as you did what you were supposed to. There were a lot of advancement jobs listed; however there was a lot of favoritism happening. Meaning some people were advanced based on who they knew or kissed up to within certain departments. Other departments however had excellent reputations with supervisor-employee relationships. Overall its the same as with any other company. There are politics played, some really nice people, some become family, and some who seem to be out to get you. The old CEO was a wonderful man who listened and interacted well with his employees.
Pros
security, health benefits, pension plan
Cons
cattiness can stress you out
Good place to work;
Provider Records Technician (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOOctober 26, 2017
I log on at 4am.. Review and enter provider information for medical claims for payment. My current supervisor is outgoing and concerned about her employees. She is very approachable and helpful with any questions on a daily basis. The culture of the workplace is diverse which is another reason it is a good place to work. You have the opportunity to meet different kinds of people from all walks of life. The hardest part of my job is logging on at 4am. Although it is optional it is still hard to do. The most enjoyable part of my job is the flexibility of the start and end time each day. There are not set hours as far as when you have to start each day. The opportunity to do other jobs within the department when the need arrives.
Pros
The flexibilty of your daily/weekly schedule.
Cons
Not able to start even earlier.
great benefits
Network Representative (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOOctober 3, 2017
the benefits are great and they have a more than solid pension. the schedule depending on what the job is if flexible with option to start work from 6-9 am.
Pros
benefits and work life
Cons
no room for advancement