GEHA Employee Reviews

Stressful
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOApril 6, 2019
Many different jobs that are to be done. No room for advancement in my department. Many employees are capped out with no further raises. Very stressful and micro managed. No appreciation for good work ethic. Moral is very low due to the constant changes that are occurring.
Pros
401k, health benefits
Cons
Micro managed
Run from this place
Senior Lead Customer Rep (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOMarch 23, 2019
You have mandatory overtime, you have no life. Management is a joke. there is no diversity. you have a set shift which you are stuck with for a year. it's all a numbers game.
Pros
Cons
everything
Not a place that you would love to come into every day
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOMarch 19, 2019
They micro manage in customer care no room to grow if you do move to another dept its who you know I am dissatisfied with geha.They need to get some better management skills and put themselves in the customer care reps shoes these providers and members talk to you any kind of way and you have no backage to support you , to many chiefs and not enough indians.what I mean is that they have Wfm in there making rules as they go each and every day. If you want to work piecefully do not go to geha.If you been there for a while and you are not liked you just a number changes changes changes and you never up dated until you doing it wrong I can go on anvd on.
Pros
A bi-weekly check
Cons
When Wfm stepped into the company.
Stressful enviroment diven by stats
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 22, 2019
This job is extremely stressful. They will mislead you through the entire interview process but once you start everything you was told is completely different. There is no communication between the actual call center and the training department so you are not trained correctly for the job you are starting. They will make you work mandatory overtime Monday through Friday. You are not allowed to request any days off unless you have PTO to cover the missing time. You have the option to flex time off and make it up during the week however the manager over the scheduling makes that impossible to happen. Even if you are sick or have a doctor appointment you have to make sure you have PTO to cover it.
Wonderful Employer
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOJanuary 25, 2019
Amazing place to work. Loving and kind people to work for and with. Everyone is always caring and understanding. Offer great benefits and pay. Overall wonderful place to work. I would highly recommend. I would stay but I am moving states.
Do not bother
Assoc Customer Care Rep (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJanuary 7, 2019
Was excited to work for GEHA until I saw how they really are. Very stuck back in time. Good old boy mentality. Managers are worthless and only care about numbers and not their employees. This is why such a huge turnover in the call center.
Pros
Employee lunches and holiday themed contests
Cons
Management and too much favoritism
Normal Day
Insurance Verification Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOAugust 7, 2018
Have to answer 80 to 100 calls a day, letting know the members and providers the insurance information, what the insurance covers and how much. Its alot of same thing over and over
Pros
pay
Cons
phones
Great company wonderful managers
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOAugust 3, 2018
I love working for GEHA. It’s a bigger company with a small mom and pop shop feel. The benefits are amazing, the managers are very understanding I would recommend anyone to work here!
No room for advancement
Senior Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOAugust 2, 2018
Raises were small, around 50 cent increase for top performers. Mandatory overtime, shifts were inconsistent, no work/life balance. No meetings and poor training.
High stress low work life balance.
Security Engineer Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOAugust 1, 2018
The work is face paced with little work life balance. The work day consists of a lot of meetings so working after hours is a must to accomplish all tasks. The typical day is at least 10 hours but can sometimes move into the 12-16 hour mark as well as contain weekend work.
Management is not good
Nurse Consultant Case Management (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOJuly 12, 2018
Micromanaged like crazy!!!! Everything is a numbers game!! Supervisor would watch everything you do. Different teams were treated better. There was no consistency in the team. Each supervisor did it differently. Not treated fair.
Extremely stressful
Insurance Examiner (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJune 19, 2018
Management changes make it incredibly hard to do your job. Multiple changes, high production but must obtain a 95% financial accuracy and do all other tasks required. Little to no team work. Lots of stress and poor management
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Poor management
Productive workplace
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJune 18, 2018
Responded to telephone inquiries from members, hospitals, doctors, and providers concerning joining the plan, completing forms, and submitting claims Answered questions, explained benefits and verified coverage, utilized communication skills to assist, reassured and diffused callers so issues could be handled. Answered questions regarding COB and Medicare line of determination .Completed telephone records, supplied all requested information and any additional information necessary to resolve problems Inbound calls from providers and members requesting medical claim status, benefits and eligibility information .Emailed, mailed or faxed EOB’s . I learned how to patiently deal with the patients and provider's when claim was denied and how to resubmit claim to be paid. workplace was independent based. The hardest part of the job was getting the claims paid. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the claim paid.
No advancement opportunity
Data Entry Keyer II (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOMay 22, 2018
The management is AWFUL! No Advancement unless you are related to a Manager, Supervisor or Director. Favoritism here is the worst I have ever witnessed. Forced to work Overtime for the last 2 years straight.I have vacation time but can never actually take a day off because Calendar is always full since they only allow 1 person off in the ENTIRE department. Meeting your numbers is almost impossible if you take a break so you have 8-10 hours a day typing all day, no communicating with anyone or it slows down production. Laying off entire departments and have open jobs but are giving them to people outside of the company with no experience instead of hiring from with in the people that are losing their jobs and are more than qualified for the open positions.
Raises are a joke, even if you go above and beyond. There are ONLY 3 positive things I can say, Company 401k investment every year is awesome. We have flexible start times 6am-9am and you can work from home as long as you meet your numbers.
Pros
Company 401k, Flexible start times, work from home
Cons
No breaks, Vacation never available
Very boring work. Decent starting pay and great retirement benefits.
Customer Service Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOApril 19, 2018
You are tied to a phone all day long. The worst part is you have to constantly watch your time away from the phone. You have to account for every minute you log off your phone so you really have to plan your restroom breaks! They monitor way too many of your calls, so it doesn't take much for them to find errors and count you down so you can't advance to the next level in pay. Supervisors never would take a call to answer a question to help you deal with a customer. In fact, they would intentionally ignore you. Training was sketchy.

Co workers were OK.
Pros
Good retirement
Cons
Boring
I love working at GEHA
Senior Claims Adjustor (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOMarch 22, 2018
I would still work for GEHA if they would allow me to continue working from home from out of state. My husband had an amazing opportunity for a job that was out of state and having already passed on it once we could not pass it up again! I am still hoping between now and the time we have to leave Kansas City they will decide to allow us to work from out from out of state.
A positive step in my career at GEHA
Dental Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOMarch 19, 2018
I was able to take another step in my journey with GEHA to advance to new and exciting opportunities. The Dental position opened up a new world of knowledge for me to prepare for my advancement to a lead position,
Alot of employees in the call center take anti anxiety meds.
Customer service (Former Employee) –  IndependenceMarch 11, 2018
Geha has excellent pay and benefits however they come at a price. Very stressful to the point that most employees are on mental health meds. On average the call center rep takes 130 calls per day. You have to stay within a certain call time the lower the better. You get two 15-minute breaks ( which you have to count bathroom time in those), and one 30-minute lunch. If you don't say a million disclaimers, then you get errors. And the disclaimers that they want you to say are all on the automated system when the customer calls in. So the customer gets very irritated when you have to say all the disclaimers again. Some things are more important than money, which is your mental health. Best decision I ever made was to quit GEHA.
Pros
Money and benefits
Cons
Stressful, poor management, expected to go above and beyond for customer but then get written up if your call time is to long.
Good Company
Verification/Claims Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 20, 2018
Depending on the time of the year it could get very busy as a Verification Rep and was sometimes very stressful. The training department was very versatile and created sessions when necessary for changes in policy. The Leadership staff was helpful and offered holiday parties and time for the staff to socialize.
Pros
Good medical benefits, great people.
Cons
Difficult to transition to different departments/promote.
Excellent Workplace
Network Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 19, 2018
GEHA believes in work/life balance and provided opportunities for their employees to embrace this lifestyle. The management level of employees were extraordinary in providing training, explanation and expectations of their employees.
Pros
Excellent workplace for work/life balance
Cons
Salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GEHA. Our community is ready to answer.