GEI Consultants Employee Reviews

Hire new graduates
On-Call Biologist - WSAFCA Levee Project (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAJuly 31, 2018
They hire new graduates for on-call positions. It has been a great learning experience. They are very willing to help you succeed and teach you new information.
Oustanding Management and Organization
Regional Health and Safety Officer (RHSO) (Former Employee) –  Nation WideJuly 4, 2018
A great place to work. Highly qualified personnel throughout the company. Very focused on safety with a balanced safety culture that promotes individual and team learning and involvement. Great leadership and programs designed to promote career advancement through management and project training.
GEI is a wonderful place to work.
PROPOSAL COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 20, 2018
GEI is a wonderful place to work and has provided me with many opportunities. Proposal writing is not an easy part of working for GEI but it has given the opportunity to learn many skills such as business development and graphic design.
Good Workplace, nice environment
IT support (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 8, 2017
Great place to work, working at the it department was a nice experience, the management was effective, we had meetings every week, and in general the rest of the office was ok.
Growing company
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Woburn, MAMarch 30, 2017
This is a good company to work for. They are rapidly growing and hiring new people. Things are not fair across the board for all employees. They are very generous with bonuses and raises.
Very Well Run Company
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 12, 2016
This is the rare engineering consulting firm that has struck the balance between serving its clients well and keeping its employees happy. At GEI, I have had the opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the water management industry. We work in close concert with clients planning and implementing major system changes.

The work environment is collegial though the seller-doer culture can impose significant pressure on senior staff, particularly as you approach the end of major projects. The compensation is well above the industry average, particularly as you progress to senior levels. There is little office politics, and your advancement to senior levels depends solely on the quality of your work and your ability to win new work. Overall, there is no other engineering firms I would rather work for.
Pros
The employee ownership program is one of the best in the industry.
Cons
Long term projects can limit your opportunities to work on a range of different assignments.
Great company to work and grow
Project Water Resources Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 31, 2016
I've enjoyed working here a lot. They have excellent benefits and really try to work with you in terms of work-life balance. They have offices on the East and West Coast, but not a lot of opportunity to move around unless you're an exceptional employee.

They offer a wide variety of internal management training, great opportunity to get into management.
Loved working at GEI.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAJuly 14, 2016
Very successful engineering office built from the ground up.
I was with them for 15 years and only left to relocate. I was fortunate enough to work with the founders, I was trained very well when I first started there, upper management listens when staff have concerns or suggestions, benefits and security of jobs were good as long as you did your job and helped others when you could.
GEI was the best company I ever worked for. I really felt like part of the fabric of the company and it was essentially one large family. They promote often from within.
Fantastic Culture and Place to Work!
Leader (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 11, 2016
I joined GEI last year after leaving a large organization where I was frustrated with the bureaucracy, unrealistic workload and negative work environment. GEI has been a breath of fresh air. GEI has an engaging work environment and provides a framework for you to work under, but allows you to work autonomously and trusts that you will get your job done.

The people and culture at GEI are nothing short of amazing. I enjoy working with the impressive team of professional, compassionate and dedicated colleagues at this company. They inspire me to work hard because I feel like I'm truly making a difference. As an employee at GEI, you can feel the difference of working for an employee owned company. You can feel the influence the employees have from the Board of Directors (who are all employees, except for one outside director who is a non-voting member) on down by how the company is managed and run. It's a wonderful structure and one of the key ingredients to GEI's success. GEI continues to grow and achieve success, both with its people and financially, because of its unique structure & culture.

As a newer employee, leader and professional woman, I have found GEI and its leadership open and willing to listen with a genuine interest in ensuring the company grows in a healthy manner while maintaining the positive culture. I couldn't be happier that I joined GEI. It's truly a great place to work!
Pros
Culture, people, ability to affect change, leadership, diversity of projects & types of work, bright future, financially stable
Great consulting engineering & scientific firm to work for
Senior Vice President, Marketing / CMO (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAJune 24, 2015
GEI is a terrific technical company very focused on client need, client value, and technical expertise. It has a good culture, supportive management, and there are good opportunities for advancement (for those who show such interest). There are few companies in geotechnical and environmental engineering, water resources, and/or ecological science that provide better value to the client than GEI, proven through its unique primary research-based client surveying of key clients and its enviable record of client retention and extremely strong and sustained company growth. It offers fantastic stock ownership opportunities in this very broadly held private stock company. If you are a top flight civil engineer, or related scientist, and you would prefer the excitement, potential and are willing to put in the extra hours required to be a great consulting engineer or scientist for your clients, GEI should be a top choice. Also, the locations of its 35+ offices are all outstanding - great cities, really nice offices, and they support movement between them for those who seek to explore and find new adventures. Benefits are just about tops in the industry. Overall company performance is well in the top quartile of AEC firms overall. It's a top player in its core competencies. The big AE firms come to GEI for its expertise to strengthen their own teams.
Amazing learning experience with ample field opportunities
Environmental Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAApril 1, 2015
My time at GEI helped me truly discover my passion for the environment and consulting. The amount of training, combined with field work and co-worker help, propelled me to take a deeper look at what I wanted to do with my career. I found myself enjoying sampling different contaminated media, driving to different sites, and talking with co-workers about their experiences. I quickly became proficient with my given tasks, and soon was so respected that I was given my own tasks, even as a co-op. Without my experiences at GEI, I would have never chose to pursue a career in environmental consulting.
Flat organization with limited support
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 11, 2015
Old boys network, challenging to integrate and advance, felt like everybody watching out for themselves, limited support for technical and marketing.
Nice environment with nice people
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 9, 2014
A day of work starts with a window of arrival time. Generally pretty relaxed environment as long as you get your work done. This is also enforced with a daily time sheet. They provide some opportunities for training but most of it requires learning on the job. Management will group people up with similar backgrounds which provide for a close work environment with your team, but not so much with others. This leaves little room to expand to other areas of interest. The co-workers are nice and helpful when asked, but stay pretty strict in terms of time allotment as their bosses have deadlines for them. Sometimes the hardest part of the job is getting your superiors to understand your view point. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the bosses joke around with each other like men at a bar.
Pros
Monthly meetings provide free lunches, reimbursements for training.
Cons
Lunch is always the same. Work culture needs improvement.
Challanging and educational.
Engineering Firm Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COOctober 31, 2013
A typical work day would include organization of RFP's and proposals, gathering data from previous projects and showcasing the best fit opportunities for the firm. I learned how to organize diverse projects. Effective management, clear goals and great training. Co-workers were very helpful and highly effective at their roles. Hardest part of the job was data entry for a new companywide database. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about different construction projects throughout various parts of the country.
Upper management just want to be elitist - typical of government workers
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rancho CordovaDecember 20, 2012
Very little support and team approach to projects. You essentially had to consult on your own with very little support from management. Top people had elitist attitudes, rather than client and support staff oriented concerns. Historical people built the 'bookman-edmondston' consulting firm in Cali. Newer people and the GEI 'geotechnical people' overshadowed the 'b-e' division, and in my mind, made it go downhill. Most upper people gave the impression that each worker should be glad they had a job with them. Never saw a budget; they were always 'out of money'.
Cons
many 'old' state workers retired; poor upper management;
Great place to work - learned a lot about Dam Engineering
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 9, 2012
I was in charge of the Boulder office/branch of this Engineering firm. I worked with vendors and clients providing excellent customer service. Helped draft letters and proposals, created the filing system used within the office based on corporate requirements. Aided one of the Vice Presidents of the company with travel arragements, correspondence, and office management. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers who were young engineers just starting out in their career. Part of my work was to acclimate them to working in an office environment, using assistants, and learning how to communicate with eachother. Hardest part of the job was being laid off when the office closed.
Pros
great working environment, management, and co-workers
Cons
office had to close and i was laid off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GEI Consultants. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2