GEICO Employee Reviews

Found 3,457 reviews matching the search See all 3,472 reviews
Tough, but good
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 19, 2018
A lot of people feel micro managed but if you listen to the advice of your supervisors you'll do well and advance quickly. Starting pay is good, you can easily move up. Education reimbursement, great benefits. It is a stressful environment but they encourage you to take your breaks to wind down. Typical day consists of two 15 minute breaks and a 45 minute lunch. Can be stressful, but overall a good place to work.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, opportunities to advance, college reimbursement
Cons
stressful, competitive
Exciting and structured environment with lots of training!!
INSURANCE AGENT (Current Employee) –  Macon, GADecember 30, 2018
So far, I love working at Geico. The only thing is the drive from home. But everyone there has been very supportive, and encouraging. It is structured though. So if you like to just goof off and not take goals and such seriously then it may not be for you. You get plenty of breaks, and they take care of you. However, you must be a performer and a team player as well as committed to giving A level service to customers, every-time. If that's you then you may find a very rewarding career at Geico.
Pros
they feed us on occasion, contest, training, coaching, team enviornment
Cons
unknown schedules, early on, lunches are 30 minutes so you have to hustle
Commercial Sales Call Center
Commercial Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 30, 2018
Working in the Commercial department is very rewarding but does come with semi-stressful training, which is about 6 months for most people. Mentorship and coaching is always available. The education and preparedness is great and the starting salaries are good. Geico's reputation makes it easy to sell policies and there is alot of opportunity for career growth but that is really competitive.
Pros
Salaried, career growth (able to switch departments), job stability
Cons
Short breaks, strict on tardiness, alot of changes
Great job, poor location, great pay and great managers.
Licensed Auto Service Specialist / Agent (Former Employee) –  Coralville, IADecember 31, 2018
Working in a remodeled grocery store was not a good call center environment. I got a foot disease from the desk under my chair.

When I resigned people stole my personal items from my desk.

The pay rate was fair despite having to re-submit my college transcripts several times to get the level of pay equal to my eductational level in COMMUNICATIONS.
Pros
Motivating culture, GREAT Teacher for the insurance agent exam
Cons
little or no team building or comraderie, high drop out rate, bad job environment in an old grocery store turned into a high volume support call center.
Lot's of opportunity for Advancement and Great Pay
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Macon, GADecember 26, 2018
Intense training is provided to help you get started. If you are receptive to feedback (don't take it too personally), you can become skilled at any job in the company. When you start initially you can get up to 3 pay grade raises within your position then you'll have several opportunities to build your skills professionally, personally or further your education (with the help of the company) to prepare yourself for more career opportunities.
Great place for starter job or in between job or to push yourself to see what else you can accomplish.
GEICO is no good
Licensed Property Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 14, 2019
GEICO stands for Government Employee Insurance Company and started out as helping military get auto insurance. They claim they are pro military. I was in the military and have PTSD. I was fired for having PTSD episodes at work, which for me included anxiety, and quietly crying at my desk. They called it misconduct. They fire people regularly. Not a good place to work.
Pros
They give you treats, jackets, and tangible items trying to keep moral up.
Cons
People steal things from your desk, they pack your belongings when you are fired.
very comfortable work environment
Supervisor Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYDecember 19, 2018
Geico is a very pleasant work place. It is a fast passed environment, it is challenging and a lot of information is needed. I enjoy learning and enjoy setting standards for my employees to achieve, but also helping them to achieve their set goals. Achieving your goals and working both independently as well as within a group setting I have learned only increases productivity both personally and for the company.
Pros
benefits, both financial and health
Cons
some training issues
Comfort trap
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAJanuary 14, 2019
Daily focus was on high volume call metrics. The number of call per day, the quality of the call, the customers interaction with the agent. If you don't mind be coached on every single molecule of your conversation, then this is a great job. I didn't see opportunity for professional growth, personally. The setback was you spend most of you time in a cubical, living an unhealthy lifestyle, and feeling unfulfilled. The people hired are always chipper and in high spirits in the first few years. I can honestly say that GEICO does try to keep the morale up internally. Not an easy job.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Mental health and physical health challenged due to corporate cubical lifestyle
You are NOT family
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Poway, CADecember 14, 2018
When you start, they feed you all this stuff about being part of the Geico family, but dont be fooled. They are just another company that if it meets their bottom line to undercut you or fire you then that is what they will do. They do not care that you have bills to pay, a family to feed, nothing. My personal experience touched on several things but I can tell you that management DOES NOT go to bat for you. I would avoid working here at all costs, and in fact I would not buy insurance from them even if they are the "low cost provider". You get what you pay for.
Pros
its a paycheck
Cons
management, long hours, lies, deceptive, shady, cut throat
Working at GEICO
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 11, 2018
GEICO was an excellent company to work for. I believe in the company's passion and enjoyed working for an employer that I whole-heartedly believed in their principles and values, as well as product. I stand behind GEICO and the excellent customer service they provide. I had top notch training and feel that I can be a benefit to any company with the skills I have aquired.
Pros
Excellent benefits, excellent compensation
Cons
micro-managed, change shifts/hours automatically based on need
Stable Income and Benefits in a Competitive Environment
Liability Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 10, 2018
I work as a Liability Claims adjuster. It's a stressful job but pays well for being fresh out of college. My job entails determining who is at-fault in an accident, determining whether or not someone has coverage, and issuing payments to parties involved in the loss. GEICO has a positive team work environment and promote solely based off of your performance. It's a numbers driven job and numbers are what your managers care about.
Pros
Low Cost and Great Benefits, Cafeteria, Gym, Paid Time Off
Cons
Heavy Workload, Metrics and Quotas
Very Micromanaged
Tele-sales; Property and Casualty Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INDecember 6, 2018
I went through 6 managers in my first year and never really found my home on a team. Sales numbers were attainable if you had the right manager. If you were at the top, they looked the other way. It was a very stressful environment and the team areas were crowded and way to loud.

Managers loved you if you were doing well and threatened your job daily if you were not. Glad I am no longer there. Geico is and always will be a good company, but the people they put in leadership positions tainted the atmosphere and work environment.
Pros
Great perks
Cons
micromanaged, too much focus on numbers
Good salary and compensation
Bodily Injury Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 28, 2018
Lots of friendly people as both peers and management. Great ability to promote provided you are able to keep your stats up. It was nice working in upper level claims as you have your own telephone number and work your own claims as opposed to working with an auto dial system and completely random claims. Most supervisors did everything they could to help you do your job and promote.
Pros
Good benefits and salary, lots of GEICO sponsored activities for employees
Cons
Work load can be very demanding, it is easy to fall behind and very difficult to catch back up.
Over worked, stressful ad under paid.
Auto damage adjuster (Former Employee) –  SCDecember 30, 2018
Very good three month training program to start and on-going training was helpful. Management heaped more work than we could handle and policies that micro managed every moment. Not once did I end the day with the work finished that needed to be done. Might be the right job for some individuals, just wasn't for me.
Pros
Training. Good co-workers
Cons
Over worked, under paid. Unrealistic expectations. Stressful.
Nice workplace, easy place to get stuck
Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 24, 2018
Most people make the most of their money on the phones, but it can be mentally draining. There is opportunity to move up but if you are only at a proficient level they will try to encourage to take more courses or lessons to improve your chances. Nice job if you are concerned with the paycheck and don't care what you do. If you are someone who is in college or graduated in a field other than business, you may feel like you need to go somewhere your degree is more useful.
Pros
flexibility with managers
Cons
working till 11pm, everyone works a rotating saturday
Great work Ethic
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 24, 2018
the training provided as amazing and detail oriented .
I was trained to ensure my customer service was memorable for each client as well and making sure their reason for calling was taken care of. management was amazing as well everyday was a review to make sure we fully understood our role as customer service representatives. team work was a huge goal but we also were taught to be self sufficient using our resources to help out clients. I enjoyed going home and knowing i was able to give my clients a great customer service experience while also being the professional insurance provider able to help in guidance.
Pros
great leadership
Cons
local office affiliates
difficult job but a great place to learn
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 23, 2018
My experience was probably not as amazing as others who work or worked at GEICO. I learned a ton and GEICO really cultivates that type of environment. Unfortunately your advancement depends mostly of customer satisfaction scores which were skewed. Basically it was kind of pass fail and that metric was weighted very highly when promotion came along. I was an adjuster so putting out fires was a big part of my job. I got stuck in a rut for longer than I wanted and chose to move on. I can't say anything bad about company culture as a whole though.
Two positions included in one job
CORPORATE LITIGATOR (Former Employee) –  United StatesNovember 21, 2018
Requires a lawyer in addition to performing legal work that can be done only with a law degree to also perform the duties of a paralegal. For example, thousands of pages of discovery to be combed through daily looking for particular data, which could be done by a paralegal, but is required to be done by the lawyer. The point system which determines job efficiency and hence job security is based upon completing the paralegal work in a certain time frame while at the same time conducting depositions, hearings, arbitrations, and jury trials, resulting in two jobs for the price of one.
Pros
wonderful people to work with
Cons
overworked
See notes
Claims Trainer (Former Employee) –  Macon, GANovember 21, 2018
See rating. I left after 6+ years because I applied for the same position 17 times and had an above average rating and was still denied the position because the hiring manager was interested in promoting their team instead of reviewing the candidates based upon metrics like they lie and say they're doing. Went to HR to have an internal investigation done as to the favoritism in the promotion process and nothing was done and no one ever got back with me so I quit.
Extremely busy but awesome place to work
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 14, 2019
I was part of GEICO's summer billing program but prior to that I had worked with them just didn't get to finish training because I moved out of the country. The management was great, very approachable. I highly enjoyed coming to work everyday and the time seemed to disappear. The bulk of what I did was process or schedule payments, review bills with clients and try to assist anyway I could.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GEICO. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight