Geisinger Employee Reviews

Busy environment. There was always something to be done.
Central Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jersey Shore, PAAugust 10, 2018
I enjoyed working with the public, getting them registered and taken where they needed to go. We registered everyone who came in to the hospital. As of yet they do not have departments doing their own registration. Emergency Room patients were registered by us also. So you had to be ready for anything coming through the doors. That was the hardest part of the job. Sometimes it could get gruesome and sad.

We also did the admissions and transfers of patients to other departments or hospitals. This entailed a lot of work getting all the paper work signed and ready for the next place they were going.
We had to work together to make things go smoothly. We were a team.

Sometimes we had to fill in for the switchboard which could make it very hectic.
Pros
Great place to work. Good management. They care about their employees.
Cons
Our department often had to fill for other departments, and our department is 24 hours a day seven days a week. So there is never any down time.
Current changes in IT cause concern
EHR Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Danville, PAAugust 9, 2018
I have been with Geisinger for more then a few years and have loved every day. But, recent changes in IT and budget cut backs have me concerned for my job security.
Good place a bit discriminatory though.
Unit Clerk/Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAAugust 7, 2018
Learned a lot have some people that are willing to give you a chance, but it's all politics no one seems to be genuine. A lot of favoritism as well but if u pay that no mind and do your job ,you'll have no worries.
Pros
Alot of oppurtunity
Cons
Very busy pace
Bad place to work with very bad management
floor jack and mechanical picker (Former Employee) –  Danville, PAJuly 30, 2018
Would not reccomend Geisinger to anyone. Poor management, lousy pay for the duties your expected to perform. CEO has no idea what goes on in each department and can not run the place responsibly.
Cons
The management is very very poor
Geisinger Health System growth and expansion prioritizes management over employee job satisfaction and security
Healthcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Lewistown, PAJuly 30, 2018
Geisinger is a large corporate heathcare organization with about 30,000 employees. Geisinger emphasizes business management with an ambiguous administrative chain of command, if not redundant. There are upper, mid, lower, and regional level VP’s, managers, directors, supervisors, heads, and leads. Clinicians and providers are transformed into managers without any managerial experience. There are endless managerial meetings throughout the day with little to no communication with employees. As a result, problems are never solved. Employee work is measured with respect to time. The faster the worker, the more patients seen, and the more revenue generated. Employee productivity determines job security. There are arbitrary yearly evaluations of employees from management and similarly, there are evaluations of supervisors from their respective employees. All these metrics and evaluations are essentially a paper trail which ends up in an employee’s file in human resources (HR). HR is not your friend. HR is not only involved in the hiring process, but to a larger degree, behavior modification, if possible, and the firing process. Poor productivity and negative evaluations means a weaker employment commitment between you and Geisinger. Once the red flag is initiated, it is difficult to reverse. The HR termination process is completely arbitrary. Geisinger is not fair and will not mediate disagreements between employee and management.

Lewistown is a small rural community. Before the Geisinger acquisition, Lewistown Hospital was the major employer and gave the community
  more... good health care. Now with Geisinger, employees provide health care under the watchful eyes of the corporation. Patient care is led by multiple layers of leadership and management. This corporate business model does not fit a small rural community like Lewistown. The small town warm hospitality that once embraced Lewistown no longer exists. Disgruntled employees and morale are at its lowest. Geisinger Lewistown Hospital is now part of a large healthcare organization with corporate values. Geisinger promotes Caring for patients, but ironically does not provide the same level of care for its employees.

Geisinger’s published purpose and values: Everything we do is about Caring — for our patients, our members, our Geisinger family of physicians and employees, and our communities. Kindness — We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.

Geisinger’s Caring philosophy is definitely lacking.
Pros
Good salary and benefits, if you can keep them, Benefits include very affordable medical, dental, and vision for the whole family although expect changes to benefits and premiums each year, There is a typical 401K, Vacation is accrued.
Cons
Management and leadership
A system with opportunities
RN Medical Home Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Danville, PAJuly 29, 2018
Large hospital system with many opportunities. Good health insurance, compensation, and paid time off. This job offers a lot of autonomy, but it can be frustrating when being unable to fulfill the client's needs.
Resp Therapists Beware
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Danville, PAJuly 27, 2018
I've worked for this company for a couple years and the management in the respiratory therapy department from when I've began to present day has gone so downhill. Working in intensive care is awesome and I love it, but the entire department is controlled by politics. If you disagree with anything they "punish" employees by scheduling you ridiculous stretches or hours. Rules are constantly changing on a weekly basis, it's impossible to keep up with anything. The only good thing Geisinger did for me was give me enough experience to go else where. It becomes a hostile work environment quickly if you don't watch your back or keep your mouth shut. If the management changed it wouldn't be so horrible but reality is that it won't change.
Pros
ICU experience, level one trauma center
Cons
short staffed, bad management
Geisinger is a great place to work
Nurse Practitioner Health Assessment (Current Employee) –  Danville, PAJuly 25, 2018
The culture has been very conducive to a work/family balance. Paid time off is very generous. I have been able to satisfy my desire to work in a new department. The management is very supportive of my needs. If I was not desiring to relocate I would continue to work at Geisinger.
Pros
great salary and benefits
Cons
organization is getting too large loosing the small town feel of care
Needs to reevaluate the way they treat employees
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Danville, PAJuly 23, 2018
They try to create this image that they care, even claiming their new motto is CICARE but it's quite the opposite. People dont leave jobs, they leave supervisors and its very evident there.
Pros
Very large network of jobs
Cons
You're just a number there
Review
Employee (Current Employee) –  Danville, PAJuly 22, 2018
No loyalty when it comes to job security. Never know if you are the next one to get your job eliminated. Raises are extremely low when it comes to cost of living. 1-3% is the average for each year.
Pros
Fellow Workers
Cons
Management and CEO
good place to work
Nursing Assistant/Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 20, 2018
plenty of available change of positions and shifts. overtime offered. management usually helpful. poor benefits. being able to communicate with patients and family members. advancement opportunities. help with continuing education if desired.
I like working with geisinger
Towne Park Valet (Current Employee) –  Danville, PAJuly 19, 2018
I work as valet service at ER I park cars and I get to talk to the people as they come in and wait and get brakes and u get to see the sunshine and it keeps me busy
Pros
I can work hours that fit for me
Cons
Being outside in the rain and snow
Great System
Travel Nurse with LRS Healthcare (Former Employee) –  Lackawanna County, PAJuly 17, 2018
Northeast Pennsylvania residents are in good hands with Geisinger. You have a large system that is well organized and offers the advantage of having residents 24/7.
salary
MEDICAL RECORDS CLERK (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJuly 15, 2018
I loved my co-workers and my position until Geisinger took over. Management is only about $ and not family friendly and the quality of care in the ER Dept. is atrocious!

Geisinger ruined Holy Spirit
Pros
salary
Cons
geisinger
Stressful and unfair to employees
Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Danville, PAJuly 15, 2018
When I started this job it was to get my foot in the door for the career path I was going to school for. I informed the management team but this and they were happy about my decisions. Now that the time came for my to evolve into a better position they are treating me unfair to other applications for the jobs.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Short breaks and poor management
Great place to work until new management came into play.
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Lewistown, PAJuly 13, 2018
A typical work day is fast- paced taking care of patients. I have learnt that new management is not always a good thing. New management has proved to be very unprofessional and cut- throat. This harms workplace culture as one could imagine. The hardest part of the job is patient volumes. The most enjoyable part of the job goes hand in hand with the hardest- patient interaction is the best part of this job.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Productive Workplace
Appeals and Grievance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Danville, PAJuly 12, 2018
A typical day in the office is working with member and providers regarding appeals and grievances.
The office is a fast paced environment on a day to day basis.
Hard work
Groundskeeper/Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Danville, PAJuly 10, 2018
It was fun to work outside all the time. It was a nice facility. You work with a lot of good people. the seasons can change all the time so the work can vary.
love it, like family
LPN Clinic Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bellefonte, PAJuly 5, 2018
long term employee, satisfied with compensation, love working together like family. patients are wonderful and appreciative to our group and what we have to offer them for their well being.
Geisinger
Inventory Management Associate (Former Employee) –  Danville, PAJuly 5, 2018
I would recommend Geisinger to anybody looking for a great job and great management. I would definitely work there again if the right job presented itself.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Geisinger. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight