Geisinger Employee Reviews

Geisinger provided challenging position, advancement opportunity, competitive salary, memorable friendships.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PANovember 13, 2018
Geisinger is one of the best companies in the area for job security and personal growth and satisfaction. My salary and benefits were more than satisfactory. I would recommend Geisinger as an excellent employer.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
No cons, as long as you are willing to work hard
Not the best environment
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Geisinger Wyoming valleyFebruary 16, 2019
I got into geisinger by applying for something I was over qualified for. Only because I knew someone. The manager of the department was so unprofessional. Tried to have numerous meetings with the HR never got back to me. I ended up quitting and now they deny my application every time I apply for what I am qualified to do and have many years in doing and amazing at my job. All because the manger didn’t like me and put no re hire. Poor very poor management and HR rep. Which is unfortunate because I’ve always wanted to work for this company when I perused my degree.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poorly managed.
Very busy and very stressfull place to work
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Jersey Shore, PAJanuary 16, 2019
Since Geisinger came in and took over Jersey Shore, Pa hospital it has not been the same place to work. I work in central registration as patient access and they just keep adding more and more workload on for us to do like we don't have enough to do for that hospital. We practically do it all for it now. I can honestly say I have never had so much stress and anxiety about a job before in my life. Pretty sad when you actually have to go to your Dr to get anxiety meds to do your job. Not only do they keep adding more things for you to do daily that you have to remember but they then write you up if you forget one little thing. Also the pay sucks. I have been there for years and would think that once Geisinger came in to take over they would give us a decent raise to give is what other Geisinger employees were making but that was not the case and now you have new hires coming in making almost as much as I am to start out. How is that fair. No wonder I am looking for a new job. Plus how can this new hire work in same department but not have to work her share of weekends at all!! Like I said this place is not a fair place to work at all. The play favorites and if you are not one of them you get screwed!!
Pros
Cons
Stress, unfair pay, they play the favorites card
Great Benefits Poor Management
Patient Access Representative/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Danville, PADecember 11, 2018
A typical day would consist of seeing over 100 patients. Not a place for someone with a slower stamina. Workplace management is non existent. Management is spread very very thin. Co workers were pitted against one another to climb the ladder of success.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
career advancement
IDX, SMS, Epic, Teaching Physician (Current Employee) –  Danville, PANovember 2, 2018
No room for advancement when you have a degree in some departments. And the pay isn't comparible with other companies. The benefits are not that bad.
Food Services Hostess (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAOctober 22, 2018
I've only been working at Geisinger for about 10 months. In that time I've been given 3 raises and am able to set a schedule that fits my needs week to week.
Great place to work!
Operations Manager of Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PANovember 28, 2018
I am currently employed at Geisinger and it is a great place to be! Great leadership, coworkers all work as a team and wonderful benefits. I have been given the tools needed to be a great leader!
Great Benefits
Nursing Services Psychiatry/ MedSurg Tele (Current Employee) –  Bloomsburg, PADecember 14, 2018
The benefits are absolutely amazing. Adoption benefits, fertility benefits, vision, dental and so many that other places don't offer. Okay pay to start.
It's a job
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, WYDecember 2, 2018
It was an alright place to work. There was little communication between the shift managers which made things complicated. They definitely didn't pay enough for the things you had to do.
Pros
Required lunch and breaks. Good benefits
Cons
Nurses were mean for no reason. It's a rough job
Great place to work, endless opportunities.
Other Experience (Current Employee) –  Danville, PAOctober 23, 2018
Worklife balance is on point. The benefits and time off cannot be beat. The opportunity within the system is endless. Honestly I can't say enough about Geisinger. It's a great place to work. I'm proud to tell people where I work and try to help them get a job here.
Cons
pay

Want to know more about Geisinger?

Ask a question
Secure
Wellness Associate (Current Employee) –  Lewistown, PASeptember 23, 2018
Great place to work, great benefits....Lewistown Hospital is a family atmosphere. CEO cares about what the employee has to say and try's to accommodate any issues that arise.
No respect for lower level positions
OR Support Tech (Current Employee) –  Danville, PAAugust 20, 2018
There is a very clear pecking order upheld by the majority of the staff. My entire team has left as a direct result of this culture (and is the reason I'm looking for a new job as well). Rather than accommodate our staffing requirements, we've been replaced with nurses and surgical techs
Pros
Excellent benefits, unique working environment
Cons
Management, culture
Hired temporary. No way of advancement. Have to know someone. Poor pay, no insurance and expected a lot out of you for what you go paid.
Lab clerical support (Former Employee) –  Danville, PAAugust 24, 2018
Very harsh working environment. Low pay, no benefits. Have to know someone to get a really solid position. Job was temporary and there really was no advancement alternative. The job was finished and I was basically out of a job and was not offered another one.
Pros
Nothing proactive
Cons
No benefits, poor pay. Demanding for what was paid.
Dedicated Staff
Epic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Danville, PAAugust 18, 2018
Dedicated staff, conservative working environment, cooperative teams. Long hours. Standing is required. Short breaks only. Should improve their onboarding process for contracted employees. A lot of travel but all in state.
Pros
Fantanstic Learning Opportunities
Cons
No paid benefits or pay increases, contract work
Geisinger Health System growth and expansion prioritizes management over employee job satisfaction and security
Healthcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Lewistown, PAJuly 30, 2018
Geisinger is a large corporate heathcare organization with about 30,000 employees. Geisinger emphasizes business management with an ambiguous administrative chain of command, if not redundant. There are upper, mid, lower, and regional level VP’s, managers, directors, supervisors, heads, and leads. Clinicians and providers are transformed into managers without any managerial experience. There are endless managerial meetings throughout the day with little to no communication with employees. As a result, problems are never solved. Employee work is measured with respect to time. The faster the worker, the more patients seen, and the more revenue generated. Employee productivity determines job security. There are arbitrary yearly evaluations of employees from management and similarly, there are evaluations of supervisors from their respective employees. All these metrics and evaluations are essentially a paper trail which ends up in an employee’s file in human resources (HR). HR is not your friend. HR is not only involved in the hiring process, but to a larger degree, behavior modification, if possible, and the firing process. Poor productivity and negative evaluations means a weaker employment commitment between you and Geisinger. Once the red flag is initiated, it is difficult to reverse. The HR termination process is completely arbitrary. Geisinger is not fair and will not mediate disagreements between employee and management.

Lewistown is a small rural community. Before the Geisinger acquisition, Lewistown Hospital was the major employer and gave the community
  more... good health care. Now with Geisinger, employees provide health care under the watchful eyes of the corporation. Patient care is led by multiple layers of leadership and management. This corporate business model does not fit a small rural community like Lewistown. The small town warm hospitality that once embraced Lewistown no longer exists. Disgruntled employees and morale are at its lowest. Geisinger Lewistown Hospital is now part of a large healthcare organization with corporate values. Geisinger promotes Caring for patients, but ironically does not provide the same level of care for its employees.

Geisinger’s published purpose and values: Everything we do is about Caring — for our patients, our members, our Geisinger family of physicians and employees, and our communities. Kindness — We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.

Geisinger’s Caring philosophy is definitely lacking.
Pros
Good salary and benefits, if you can keep them, Benefits include very affordable medical, dental, and vision for the whole family although expect changes to benefits and premiums each year, There is a typical 401K, Vacation is accrued.
Cons
Management and leadership
na
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Danville, PASeptember 20, 2018
during my 8 years at Geisinger I have learned a lot. However, with current changes with the phone system it is hard to do my job. I now have both physicians and patients yelling at me for something that isn't in my control. This job is stressful.
benefits
Cons
not enough physicians
Geisinger is a great place to work
Nurse Practitioner Health Assessment (Current Employee) –  Danville, PAJuly 25, 2018
The culture has been very conducive to a work/family balance. Paid time off is very generous. I have been able to satisfy my desire to work in a new department. The management is very supportive of my needs. If I was not desiring to relocate I would continue to work at Geisinger.
Pros
great salary and benefits
Cons
organization is getting too large loosing the small town feel of care
good place to work
Nursing Assistant/Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 20, 2018
plenty of available change of positions and shifts. overtime offered. management usually helpful. poor benefits. being able to communicate with patients and family members. advancement opportunities. help with continuing education if desired.
Gwv
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  WyomingSeptember 8, 2018
Don't appreciate the new job titles that make every position "flex and float" which means going to other units and sometimes another hospital and not a set schedule.
The cafeteria is expensive, mediocre and only offers diet drinks.
RN union is responsible for success of all the benefits enjoyed by nurses. Good pay, health benefits, 401k, holiday and personal time, tuition reimbursement.
Cons
Inflexible work schedules. Expect more of employee(s) with less staff.
Review
Employee (Current Employee) –  Danville, PAJuly 22, 2018
No loyalty when it comes to job security. Never know if you are the next one to get your job eliminated. Raises are extremely low when it comes to cost of living. 1-3% is the average for each year.
Pros
Fellow Workers
Cons
Management and CEO

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Geisinger. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight