Gem City Home Care Employee Reviews

Dead end job
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 22, 2019
Little/no advancement opportunities
Pay is not based on experience
No leadership
Management has no compassion for employees
Staff is not properly trained
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
No leadership
Independent work
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 22, 2019
I loved my job as far as pt care, but on call requirements have been increasing over the last several years. Daily job requirements varied depending on the patient and acuity level I was able to establish good relationships with many pts. I did however have 3 different supervisors the last year of employment. High turnover
Pros
Flexibility and independence
Cons
On call and computer work at home
used to be a great place to work
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  dayton ohioDecember 1, 2018
after it was sold the only thing that became important was money and paperwork not giving care. Management started taking away benefits. Our clients were not important to them anymore. They were just a number.
Home health environment.
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 11, 2018
Complete my patient schedule for the week, contact patients and notify of upcoming visits. Provide physical therapy treatments each day. My supervisors were always available and helpful with any assistance required. I enjoy the freedom that comes with home health, as well as meeting new people and assisting them to improved health.
Good place to do home care
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHOctober 8, 2018
Field nurses are responsible for their own scheduling. Office staff does communicate well with the field staff. I did not feel there was any workplace issues.
Excellent
Speech-Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 13, 2018
I loved working for this company! Would still be there if my husband and I didn't have to relocate for his job! Best part of the job was being able to make your own schedule. Least favorite part, a lot of driving involved between patients' houses. All around great company to work for!
RN’s beware
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Dayton OHAugust 9, 2018
Not up front about job demands. On call will take up all your time off. On call is not just for emergency calls. You are scheduled admissions all Weekend when on call. and if it’s an IV case ex. Every 8 hours you will be there every 8 hours until it’s reassgined on Monday. To many nurses in each area , if new you only get cases senior nurses do not want. They do not tell you up front about any of this. If you want to make any money you have to do a lot of admissions, take cases that are daily or multiple times a day needs and not in the areas close to your home. They don’t take out city taxes. Charting is very extensive. Team leaders are not supportive of their nurses. Over worked.
Pros
Can’t think of one.
Cons
On call is entirely to much and to often.
review
Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 3, 2018
When you enter the home health field you MUST be ready to drive to get your patient quota in weekly. Business waxes and wanes. Gem City does the best.
review summary
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJuly 29, 2018
A typical day at work in my position would require travel to see patients in their homes for assessment and education needs in addition to providing skilled care. In this, I have gained a sense of autonomy. I have benefitted from close contact with immediate supervisors for any mentorship and support needs. The difficult part of the job would be working with clients who are non adherent to the plan of care and additional time spent charting due to new government regulations regarding reimbursement. Enjoyment was provided when helping patients achieve goals and desired outcomes.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
government regulations, additional time charting
Wonderdul
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHMay 22, 2018
I loved working for Gen city. The owners respected their employees. I had to see 25 patients per week. Gchc provided gas cards for full time employees.
Pros
Laid back atnosphere
Cons
Alot of driving
Nursing
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 21, 2018
amazing company to work for, learned a lot from them to help me in my nursing would recommend this job to others highly. will go back once I have my RN
Enjoyed my time working at Gem City.
Home Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 13, 2018
Good people to work for - workload was manageable and you stayed busy. Enjoyed the freedom of being in the field and meeting new people. The oncall was a lot.
Good Job
BILLING/INTAKE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Dayton ,OHJanuary 9, 2018
Liked better before new management took over. Bought out by company in Texas and new management was not as experienced in health care field that was unprofessional handled & switched managers numerous times.
Pros
not enough paid time off when hours put in
Cons
short lunch and breaks
Hha
HHA - Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 2, 2018
This place was a wonderful place to work for with awesome benefits and great staff. they appreciated every employee as well made sure to keep your hours where needed,
Autonomy at a price
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHDecember 20, 2017
Very independent position but very little time off, very high priced benefits, very stressful on call, inexperienced management. Charting is a nightmare. They have very little concern for employee safety sending staff to motel rooms and unsafe areas.
Pros
generous bonus plan
Cons
charting, on call, dangerous locations for visits
great company
Medical Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHNovember 13, 2017
Great company until the new owners took over and started firing all original staff. This was due to the company moving to Texas and no one understanding the reason behind it.
Love it!
RN/Casemanager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 18, 2017
Great home health company to work for. Excellent wages and benefits. Easy to meet full time status as they have a great marketing team and acquire many clients.
Toxic work culture
A/R Specialist (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHAugust 16, 2017
Gem City was a decent place to work at in the beginning, but has gotten progressively worse over the years. The work enviornment is toxic and is run by inept managers who have no business being in those positions. The problem starts from the top on down. Bully managers, gossipers, busy bodies who are into everyone else's business. Toxic coworkers who keep things stirred up and done work well with others. Managers don't address the individual problematic employees but rather coddles and accommodates them. Favortism, lack of support/proper training. Not being kept inform on what's going on with the company, etc. unapproachable, impersonal supervisor who lacks people and leadership skills who get easily irritated/annoyed when asking a question. Departments pitted against each other. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Unfriendly employees throughout building. Nepotism abounds. As another reviewer stated since we merged with evolution a while back they have managed to undermine the billing office.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Toxic work culture, inept managers, dysfunctional, and office bullies
Loved the job
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHJuly 30, 2017
I loved working at Gen City- very supportive team/ managers. Managers and employees had been employed for several years at same company. Very caring and compassionate place to work.
Pros
Everything- flexible schedule- great team
Cant ever do enough
Registered Nure (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 30, 2017
Nurse to patient ratio too high. Nurses are over worked. Never fully staffed. Benefits and salary good however, when you are out seeing patients and not getting reimbursed for gas or mileage.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gem City Home Care. Our community is ready to answer.