Gemological Institute of America Employee Reviews

Great place to work at
Diamond Grader (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJuly 18, 2018
It can be challenging at first while learning the intricacies of the job and the training period can be stressful as there is a time limit on your progress, but with effort it does become easier. Although certain work expectations, quality/quantity, are required, the work becomes more on the independent side which enables you to excel and progress at your own pace. The job culture for the most part is great and colleagues are respectful. One of the best aspects of the job, is the understanding of "life" circumstances and managements willingness to work with you in regards to this.
Pros
Work environment
Highly productive with multiple simultaneous projects
America (GIA) - Subject Specialist (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 1, 2018
Enjoyable interactive and creative environment with like-minded individuals of a similar skill set. I learned advanced CAD skills and the GIA rendering process, and provided communications, predictive analytics, design and engineering to create a holistic product for delivery to education and marketing.
Pros
hour lunches, free massages, ocean view terrace, free snacks, 3D printing, library
Fantastic place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMay 27, 2018
Friendly, great benefits, challenging, rewarding. I would not have left had I not had to relocate. I can't say enough great things about the company, management and staff.
sweatshop
Diamond Grader (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 11, 2018
it feels like sweatshop because upper management will evaluate you based on how many you have been grading so you have to get faster and faster each month.
Not worth it
Preliminary Step Diamond Grader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 25, 2018
Spent 5 year there, and really wasted my time. You can exceed your quotas and have a high degree of accuracy and they will still be unhappy. The rate of pay is not enough for the NY area. Poor ergonomics.
Pros
opportunities to travel
Cons
management
Excellent Place to Work
Editor, Gems & Gemology (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMarch 24, 2018
This is a wonderful place to work, with many opportunities for advancement and personal growth. Educational opportunities are available to all staff members. I cannot recommend this organization enough.
This job is very competitive
Support Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 21, 2018
I work a few months only that's why I can't say a lot about this job. My experience here was temporary only. This is a good job but, sometimes the people who manage is not the correct.
Pros
I am looking for a microscope job or work in a office
Cons
This job is good but I'm looking something different
Very demanding job
Diamond Grader/Weights and Measurements Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2018
This job was a very demanding job for little pay. The little money paid just accumulate more stress cause you didnt make enough to cover rent and they expect you to be happy about it.
Pros
paid lunch ONLY in night shift
Cons
stressful
Good company
Windows System Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2018
GIA is a good company to work for. Very fast paced. The people are great to work with. There is always something to do to keep you busy. Benefits are great.
Pros
The people
A Culture of Backbiting
Diamond Grader (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJanuary 6, 2018
I do not recommend this company. There is no place for advancement. Managers play favoritism and encourage a culture of politics over proficiency. This workplace is not too different from a sweatshop. The company has wildly inconsistent criteria that change on a daily basis.
Pros
Facility secured by armed guards
Cons
Work space overrun with vermin, disease spreads quickly.

Want to know more about Gemological Institute of America?

Ask a question
Gia
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 6, 2017
Lacks vision and structure, and is void of top tier talent. Excessive bonuses are paid to upper management and very little to all others, despite the value of work performed at lower levels.
Pros
Location, Brand Recognition
Cons
Upper Management, Salary, Bonuses
Gia
Double Check Diamond Grader (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CANovember 2, 2017
Was a great place to work, good pay. A little demanding on meeting numbers but it was not that hard to do. Paid training was a great boost to help more people be able to work there.
Diverse, professional and generous.
School Administrator (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CANovember 1, 2017
The GIA was one of the best jobs I have held, it provided me with a challenging well balance place to work with a team of professionals that was a pleasure to be associated with, from the instructors, administrators and students. The campus provided a opportunity to learn a wealth of information and networking with people from all over the world.

There was no hard part of the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the whole campus environment and the staff who was some of the best I have ever worked with.
Pros
Lots of opportunity to learn about the Gem Industry, Lectures and seminars
great place
Diamond Grader (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 12, 2017
this is such a great place i recommend it to say many people to all my friends, i never talak bad about gia they were like family to me. they taught me to much and gave me so much oppurtunity
Fun work place
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 10, 2017
People here are very motivated and all have an entrepreneur mindset. Very fast paced work environment, wouldn't recommend if you are looking for a job to where you can just get by.
Beautiful building.
Diamond Grader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 18, 2017
Management is a joke, Favoritism all the way. Cannot survive in NYC with the pay. No room for growth. The food was disgusting. No room for growth.Very repetitive work.
Pros
Food and building is nice.
Cons
Low Pay, Bad Management.
Can be a very fun and rewarding palce to work
Quality Specialist/Quality Assurance Dept (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2017
GIA is a very diverse company with many locations all over the world and the work environment is just as diverse with people from all backgrounds and unique individuals work together. Excellent Benefits and pay can be rewarding as long as you work hard. Advancement can be challenging, but there us usually a few internal positions to look into. Most of us wear many hats, for example my morning was dedicated to working with the Quality Specialist team and afternoon mostly dedicated to Fancy color diamond grading. An individual's day can be broken up into different activities, like participating in special projects, traveling etc. Overall I had a great experience working there and learned a lot! The power to grow and advance rests within the individual and the amount of effort they put into their job
Pros
Business casual clothes can be worn
Cons
N/a
Extremely well-organized and meticulous work environment.
Diamond Grader (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJuly 6, 2017
Working in a high-security diamond lab required adhering to strict rules about showing up on time, accountability for all diamonds graded, and always working with co-workers and supervisors on the final grading of all diamonds.

Staff and co-workers were very helpful and friendly - I maintain friendships with many of the people I worked with at the lab. We had a very unique job, and as such, found that being able to spend time together outside of the lab was a great way of unwinding and learning from each other on how best to excel at a job that required us to basically stare at diamonds under a microscope for 8 hours a day.
Pros
Great working environment, clean, secure and well organized.
Cons
Extremely repetitive nature of the job, after a few months of working there most of us needed glasses! Diamond grading is tough on the eyes.
Loved working here
Gemologist/Diamond Grader (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 14, 2017
Great company. Room for advancement if you can manage money. Must start out very low and increase with time or year's spent with company. Can travel internationally.
Pros
Ability to work on your own and manage your time as you need.
Cons
Culture can become dull. Must keep yourself motivated.
The worst work experience
Diamond Grader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2017
I worked as a diamond grader at GIA NY. They have 2 shifts as morning(7:00-15:30)/night(15:30-23:30) and both were hard commute in my situation. Only 30 mins lunch break was not enough to eat/rest and switching sheet from morning to night daily was totally mess(losing your own stuff even chair everyday!) Plus by unorganized management and too many people in small rooms squeezing and arguing, employees are stressed and worn out. The good thing is the benefit though the salary is not enough to live in NYC. Good to start making your career in Jewelry industry as they offer free classes and the work experience at "GIA", but not a lifetime job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gemological Institute of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Gemological Institute of America Reviews by Location