GeneDx Employee Reviews

Great first job experience
Microarray Technologist, Microarray Department (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 31, 2018
Job training to work in clinical lab is phenomenal and sets up well for future jobs either within the company or with another organization, lots of room for advancement and learning new technologies, young and friendly staff, very female dominated
Great workplace
Bioinformatics / Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 14, 2018
This job has opened my opened my eyes to the importance of genetic testing. I spent a lot of my time working with genetic counselors on improving the software that assists them with their tests.
Pros
Knowledge learned is priceless
Good starting off job
Lead Technologist / Tech Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMay 20, 2018
I intended to use GeneDX as a place were I can learn my skills and build upon them. I have some great learning experiences with different machines and basic workflow in a clinical lab.
Great Company to Work for
Genetic Counseling Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDApril 26, 2018
I worked there from 2012-2013 and loved it. They were really supportive of trying to develop my skills to get into grad school. There was a great breakfast potluck every friday morning and the holiday party and other holiday events throughout the year made it a fun place to work!
Cons
Not super close to public transit to DC
Tat
NextGen Sequencing Technologist I (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 29, 2018
Turn-over time is their priority, not the patients. Its a good company to start with fresh out of college, but you wouldn't want to stick around too long. Too many ethical issues from a laboratory technicians standpoint.
Pros
constantly changing techniques so you can learn a lot
Cons
CFO is awful
Didn't care for the culture
Array Technologist I (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 28, 2018
It has been some time since I was worked at this particular lab. When i was there, I was not being paid enough for the work i was doing and the cost of living in the area. The real only redeeming quality from working at this lab was the company outings. I hope things have changed since i was there.
Great work environment
DNA Extraction Technician (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 25, 2018
It was my first real job after university so i might not be the best at judging the place but I loved working there. My coworkers were amazing. My Supervisor, manager and director were very kind and helpful. Only two problems with the place: 1. The only way to get ahead is if you know someone or have a relative there (nepotism at its finest) and 2. the pay is horrible. My starting pay was 10 dollars less than what I would be making at other companies. But it was great for the experience and I enjoyed my time.
Okay to get experience
Not Applicable (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 14, 2018
Caters to a specific department. Management changes it's mind quickly, sometimes changes are not communicated. Lack luster employees kept and told they are doing a great job, employees with potential are given more tasks, but no kudos....or pay increases.
Pros
flexible work schedule, sometimes you can remote
Cons
favoritism
Great clinical team hampered by a disorganized sales team
Regional Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDNovember 29, 2017
The caliber of team members is phenomenal who provide valuable experience and have a high standard of work ethic. The management is lacking in direction and understanding what the company needs to stay competitive. Benefits and salaries are below the work standard employees provide
Pros
Laboratory director is brillant
Cons
Sales directors do not know how much the employees do for the company and for the client/patients, no performance reveiws and no pay increases
Believe in their Rare Disease Mission
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDNovember 25, 2017
Company is committed to their mission as a diagnostic lab but not to their administrative staff. The administrative staffers (admin support, financials, records mgmt, etc) are being let go.
Good for the Goose only. Would NOT reccommend!!
Help Desk Support and Clerical (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDNovember 17, 2017
I had the misfortune of working at this place and for the entire 1yr + I was vastly underpaid compared to market value. My specific department was mismanaged. In fact the manager had no previous experience in management and showed overt favoritism to family members and friends even going so far as to say it out loud! However this was not Standard Practice for the company as a whole. But it did cost me an opportunity to move up within the company as my relationship or lack thereof with said manager was ultimately the deciding factor in not being able to ascend. Also because the company is routinely bought out by larger companies health and l;life insurance benefits are constantly influx, as well as 401k options.
Pros
Slow paced relaxed environment
Cons
Department favoritism, low pay, unstable benefits
Fun place to work, bad compensation
Genetic Counseling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 12, 2017
- Good people, made life-long friendships
- Definitely has a strong GeneDx culture that people enjoy
- Low compensation (can find a comparable job at another company making more)
- flexible hours
Pros
fun work culture, good people, lots of free food, flexible hours
Cons
Low compensation
Lab Technician
Molecular genetics technician (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 9, 2017
GeneDx is an awesome company if you need genetic testing for a rare disorder. You can trust as a patient that your samples will be handled with care and you will get results quickly but as an employee, this place is not ideal. If you manage to take an extra five minutes for lunch someone will notice and talk to you about it. In fact it will probably be a talking point during the monthly meeting for the entire lab. They aren't very understanding when it comes to having a life i.e. responsibilities and obligations outside of work. The pay is terrible and there really isn't a ladder to climb. The only real perk to working here was that the health insurance was free but that also came to an end. In my opinion the two most important things any company can offer is an investment in your growth as a professional and growth opportunities within the company....GeneDx offers neither of those. I would steer clear of this place. There are plenty of reputable labs to work at in this area, you don't have to settle for this place riddled with favoritism, poor pay and no potential.
Pros
some benefits (health insurance is cheap)
Cons
short breaks, unknowledgeable management, very limited PTO
Laboratory Sciences
DNA Technologist (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 8, 2016
Great place to start learning lab skills. Lots of technology to get hands on, if you are on the right team. Starting pay is quite dismal but benefits are not bad. They try to have a lot of 'employee appreciation' type of celebrations/events.
Pros
Advancement to new team after 1 or 2 years
Cons
Constant changes
Good Company, great mission
Laboratory Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MarylandJune 9, 2016
A very good place to work, people are nice. Work stability is there but pay is less with long hours. Good management, everyone works hard but we like what we do.
Pros
Stability
Cons
less pay
Good company Bad Management
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 10, 2016
This company has great potential to break boundaries in it's new and unique field, however those qualities are obscured by the inside management who when faced with change just blindly chose whatever is more cost effective instead of actually taking the time and effort to see what the problem is.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Bad Management
Stay clear if you can
Technologist I (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 3, 2016
In my interview, they made the place sound amazing. Little did I know, they lie through their teeth just so they can hire enough people to get the work done. I'd say a good 85% of the people I work with hate this company. Management is obsessed with hierarchy, if you try to go to HR with questions (even if it has nothing to do with management) they get upset that you did talk with a director or supervisor first. New policy is that the facility is open almost 24/7. Which means inclement weather doesn't matter, even if higher ups decide to close the facility! Facility gets closed = can't work even if you could = forced (seriously, forced) to use whatever PTO you have, can't decide to just not have those hours. Pay is horrible, they are trying to make it better but failing so far. For the amount of work that is expected of you, they pay should be much higher. This company has no regard for their employees which is why they have such a high turn around for employees. I've heard of multiple mass quits throughout the years. Please don't be talked into thinking this place is worth your time.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Everything else
GeneDx is an aquired taste
CytoGenomic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 18, 2016
I worked for GeneDx for five years and my department downsized and I was laid off. Bitter sweet, but this was totally unexpected.
Benefits
Cons
stability
Na
DNA Tech (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 15, 2016
This place is a decent starter job for someone fresh out of school. The work is very monotonous and does not offer variety.
Professional environment with a family feel.
DNA Extraction Technologist (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 7, 2016
GeneDx is a very unique work environment with everyone working together for the good of individuals possibly needing genetic counseling. Attention to detail is paramount.