Genentech Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Biotech tech
Senior Bioprocess Technician (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJuly 12, 2018
Worked in a manufacturing setting making pharmaceutical drugs, following strict GMP. Worked in a clean room setting wearing tyveck suits. Worked with strong acids and bases.
Pros
pay and opportunity
Cons
location
One of the Best Companies to work for
Medical Case Manager(Backup Regional Case Manager) (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJuly 12, 2018
The Case Manager acts as a liaison between patients, providers, MDs, distributors and insurance carrier to assure services are provided in the least restrictive and least costly manner.
Refined my time-management skills, delegation of tasks and collaborative abilities. Management is always encouraging the team to strive for greatness and then bring others up with you. Amazing work culture. "work hard and have fun doing it". Hardest apart of the job is not taking it home with you. Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with all the amazing staff i was honored to call my TEAM.
Customer Service Rep. in Healthcare field
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJuly 11, 2018
Genentech was a great learning experience, as it was my first "real" job out of college. I learned how to relay insurance benefits, ask crucial questions during training, honed my customer service skills over the phone, and learned how to navigate through our healthcare system given certain limitations. I loved speaking to our external customers over the phone, but disliked delivering bad news i.e. their insurance won't cover their treatment.
More Roche now than the previous Genentech
Manufacturing Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJuly 10, 2018
Work culture has changed drastically. Previously stressed work - life balance when I started working there but slowly moved away from this culture into a more "bottom line" focus based culture. Benefits are still good versus other companies, but many cost saving measures were implemented like less team building exercises outside of work, less free giveaways, less free lunches, etc. Huge layoffs caused moral to go way down. Hard working blue collar staff were let go to meet layoff numbers, instead of laying off top heavy departments with lazy or unneeded white collar managers/supervisors. More work now given to less staff. The most enjoyable part of the job though were highly intelligent, easy going, lovable coworkers that made work pleasurable.
Pros
Medical benefits, Fair wages, great retirement plan, smart staff
Cons
Bottom line culture and no more work life balance
great pay and benefits
Lead Senior Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJuly 3, 2018
Fast paced, lots of training, culture is changing due to biosimilars and out sourcing manufacturing.

Hardest part of the job was going to 12 hour shifts.

Most enjoyable were the benefits.
Pros
free drinks and ho hos
Cons
always want you to move up, not satisfied if you just perform your job duties
Good Company, Good benefits
Senior Clinical Specialist (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCJuly 3, 2018
Good place to work, looking for a different opportunity to make a greater impact on patients lives.

Hope to be given secure a role that allows for autonomy, a company that is customer centric, that focuses on the needs of the patient.; While also bringing value to our internal customers and partners.

This can be achieved by building strong relationships with our customers by meeting their needs and achieving our corporate goals through value-add partnerships
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Losing site of mission, becoming large, less focus on people development, process oriented, losing customer centric approach
Was great!
Senior Clinical Oncology Specialist - Tecentriq (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 2, 2018
Genentech was great years ago. Once Roche bought out the remaining shares, the changes began. The compensation has suffered and the culture has changed. Many positive changes are ongoing but the commitment to San Francisco based roles for advancement precludes many from development beyond current field based roles.
Pros
Science, people, culture
Cons
compensation, limited advancement, rigidity regarding working remotely
Cutting edge, collaborative
Contractor (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJune 30, 2018
My experience was excellent. Very concerned about security and training. If you are worried about that, get over it. It's needed. You'll be working with the best people around, and the work is either itself cutting edge, or supporting the people who do that kind of work.

Everyone generally is friendly and collaborative. The campus is large, so if you work with someone a mile away, it might be hard to walk there, so learn the shuttles.

The worst part of the day is going home. Traffic getting out onto the freeway is horrible sometimes. If there is any construction on the few routes that handle traffic exiting the area, the rest bottleneck rapidly and you are in a serious mess. Best advice: just get in line and wait your turn to get out. Trying to find alternate routes will generally delay getting you home.

While there, you should learn a lot; it's a chance to be exposed to great new things, so snap up as many as your brain can handle. You will have fun all day there. The work is serious, but there is a common positive attitude that doesn't always exist in industry.

If I had ten thumbs they would all be pointing up.
Pros
Experimental food in cafeteria, like unusual pizza toppings
Cons
Experimental food in cafeteria, like unusual pizza toppings
QA Change Control including documents and testing.
QA Change Control Associate (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJune 26, 2018
Working at Genentech was a wonderful experience. I learned so much about working with engineers, validation and the FDA requirements surrounding changes to the pharmaceutical industry.
Lives Matters
MA/Project Coordinator - Corp. Groups & ER (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJune 24, 2018
Worked at this company for 18 years and I've gone through the changes of merger, culture, people, etc., but it doesn't stop being a great company to work for! Their main focus is Patients and ensuring we are researching, developing and manufacturing drugs to save lives.
Great for biotech experience
Specialty Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Canton, OhioJune 15, 2018
This is a great company to get your feet wet in biotech. Unfortunately the culture has changed and the organization no longer offers the job stability and loyalty that it did prior to the Roche merger.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Micromanagement
Every day is something new
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJune 15, 2018
Every day there is something new. I enjoyed all the challenges that I encountered and learned a lot from them by acquiring new skills and putting my hands on new technologies.
Bright and dedicated people
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJune 13, 2018
Very bright people working at Genentech that are highly dedicated to their work and the products that are released to market. High volume of projects, lacks some very basic Project Management tools for standardization but continuing to work towards better efficiency.
Business Systems Analyst II (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJune 12, 2018
I have a very productive work environment and I am happy in the role. I also value my coworkers immensely. I am am thrilled to come to work. Kind regards.
Challenging, but rewarding place to work.
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJune 12, 2018
Good company with great vision and values.

My manager was very willing to spend the time necessary to make me successful. My team supported each other regardless of how busy everyone was.
Head of Program Management, Operational Excellence (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 11, 2018
This is ridiculous. I do not want to give my opinion of Genentech. It is not relevant to the job I am searching for...so therefore I am not going to give my view.
Great Work Environment
Global Clinical Trial Leader (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 11, 2018
Great Work Environment and Collaborators. I enjoy working at Genentech and completely agree with discovering therapies for folks with unmet medical needs.
Great team to work for
Business Planner (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 10, 2018
I am not sure how other orgs are but the team I work for is friendly energetic and a very team oriented group. They are willing to help when asked and very accommodating.
Pros
Free weekly lunch, annual concert, compensated for driving expenses (all the benefits to FTE only)
Good company to work
Data Architect and Life Cycle Delivery Manger (Former Employee) –  SFOJune 7, 2018
Due to recent Roche acquiring the Genentech, the job security or comforts are not that as it was previously.
However, the company to still good to work.

Still a good place to work.
Innovative company.
Global opportunity
good
Workplace and Culture
Senior Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJune 5, 2018
Genentech is a unique work environment and its culture is one of a kind. Most employees are considered top talents in the industry and are easily targeted by competing companies in the area.
Pros
Freebies and lunch is almost free
Cons
Too much workload

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genentech. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.3Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss