Genentech Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Productive and fun working place
QC Analyst I, Protein Analytical Chemistry (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 20, 2018
Everyone is very kind, friendly, and helpful. There's a lot of meetings but most of the meetings provide lunch. Management is great! There are frequent re-organizations within the team. Most of the days are not stressful, but once in a while, it can become hectic. Continuous learning throughout my two years working there. There are 3-4 hourly buses to pick you up in the morning and drop you off in the evenings near your home (which is very convenient for far commuters). Flexible working time. Overall, Genentech is a very fun and enjoyable workplace.
Pros
Free lunches; provides buses, shuttles and bikes; monthly company parties and events on campus
Nice place
Research Assistant, Animal Care (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 18, 2018
the work at times can be daunting, some of the management has no clue the amount of work it takes for someone to finish is one day. Theres also a lot of micromanaging, this job has taught me how to be on my toes.
Very demanding work
Senior Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 11, 2018
Working as an administrative associate supporting multiple Senior Directors and departments is very demanding and challenging. A typical day, 3 hours spent on meetings minimum a day. 2 hours taking andon responses or baby sitting and the rest is spent on heavy calendar management. Additional couple hours of work will be required for long-term and short-term projects, this I usually do by working from home after office hours.
Pros
Free lunch, free gym membership free swag items
Cons
Limited dental coverage, high deductible for health insurance
Great place to learn a lot
QA Specialist (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 11, 2018
Good large company with security and a focus on quality, good culture, and focus on development. Great as a full time employee, not as good benefits as a contractor.
Great work life balance
Facilities Administrator (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 11, 2018
it is a great place to work. great work life balance and supportive teams. cafeterias are really good too, they dont break the bank and the food is always good.
great people to work with
Senior Technician Cell Culture Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CASeptember 10, 2018
The Comradery on our shift was great and the culture that we had made for a great work environment.
I loved making drugs that helped people have a better quality of life and save lives.
Pros
People, and the drugs we made to save lives, and my supervisor
Cons
Management was not available to us on the grave shift, not enough advancement
Productive, Easy-going environment
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 5, 2018
Genentech is a very comfortable, welcoming place to work at. I do not feel intimidated or looked down upon, which I have at other places because I am younger than most employees.
-The management in my department is probably my least favorite part of my job. Extremely unorganized.
Pros
Free lunches, On-site employee perks
Cons
Commute
Great Place to Work!
Senior Director, Regulatory Knowledge Management (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 4, 2018
Wow. An honor and privilege to be part of this organization.
Employee education. Respect. Dignity. Collaboration. High Quality.
Collaboration and Support.
Good compnay
Marketing (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 3, 2018
I've been here over a decade. I have loved this company very much, but with so much change within the organization and globally within Roche (and at an alarming pace), it's not the same company I joined.
Exellent Place to Work in any Stage of Life
Multimedia & Design Inter (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 29, 2018
Genentech provides an excellent work environment with a plethora of perks and on-site services to make your daily experiences a positive, productive, and encouraging ones.
Pros
Fee Gym Access to Blue-Badge Employees
Cons
No free lunch
Forward thinking company in healthcare.
Virology Specialist (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAAugust 29, 2018
Large Biotech / Pharmaceutical company investing in creative solutions to large health issues. Nice environment to work in. Lots of resources for personnel.
Great palce to work
Site Ops. Technical Manager - Quality Support (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAAugust 29, 2018
The main focus of the company is meeting unmet medical needs. The company has a great work environment and good benefits. The company also has good benefits as well.
Great Culture to be apart of
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAAugust 28, 2018
Genetech does a very good job of taking care of the people who are contracted under them. As long as you are good in terms of talking to people on the phone and you get to work on time, they will extend your contract out longer than the initial 6 months. They do a good job of training you on the products that they have and making sure how to talk to customers on the phone. When I got hired it was during a busy period where we had to put in overtime but it never interfered in my day to day because they brought me in early and we got out by 3 pm. They brought in food and had people come in periodically to make sure that we would be sharp and ready to work during the busy period. I had a great time working there and would highly recommend it to anyone
A good place to work
Sr. Manager, Revenue - (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAAugust 25, 2018
Competitive, challenging and innovative environment. Employees encouraged to do their best. Company currently undergoing transformation. Layoffs in many areas of Genentech and parent company Roche.
Pros
Helping patients
Cons
Need system to rate managers and incentive for good manager behavior
Productive and process oriented company
Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORAugust 24, 2018
Heavy emphasis on meeting production schedule and the company wide initiatives are the most important to achieve as part of the company's yearly goals.
Collaboration comes with a cost
Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAAugust 22, 2018
Genentech is a great company with a great history. However at times it feels like it still needs to grow up with regards to the commercial organization. Collaboration gets in the way of getting things done and the company is still young and entering competitive markets they have not faced before.
Pros
Cons
Lack of decision markets slows work down
A great place to work at with a diverse and friendly culture.
SENIOR MFG. TECHNICIAN BIO-PROCESS (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAAugust 17, 2018
Genentech was a great place to work at for someone who values work/life balance. The culture is very diverse yet friendly and supportive. The facility is amply equipped to support a worker's productivity. The benefits and perks are generous. Here, I further developed core competencies like teamwork and collaboration, integral work ethics, and class A behaviors. However, some of these seem to have been changing since the acquisition by Roche in 2009. Slowly but surely. It is not as ideal as it used to be. There's this feeling of tension and uncertainty more than usual. Too much competition can bring out the worse in people hence politicking happens.
Pros
Benefits and perks, culture, facility
Cons
Politics
Excellent company
QCPL Associate (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAAugust 15, 2018
A great company had a great time working there, their facility provides almost everything to their employees and their products
have improved the lives of millions of people around the world.
Pros
Great facility, lunchrooms, grounds, benefits etc.
Solid experience
Facilities Planner (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAAugust 11, 2018
Enjoyed working in all phases of drug development process; from research, product development, manufacturing to quality. GNE was a fast-paced, interactive, collaborative, fun environment. The culture and perks disappeared once acquisition by Roche was completed. Sadly, the hardest observation post Roche, was a diminished passion for excellence from veteran colleagues.
Pros
lots of perks
Cons
loss of small company wreckless culture
Work hard Play hard
Qiality Assurance Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORAugust 11, 2018
So grateful to be part of this company. Great benefits and lots of perks.. annual concerts featuring great singers and most of all the 6 week sabbatical - after 6 years of service, vacation with pay on top of the regular vacation days!!!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Culture is changing.. not fun to work anymore.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genentech. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight