Genentech Employee Reviews

Review of Genentech South San Francisco Site
Business Systems Analyst (Rotation 4) (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 7, 2018
The best company ive ever worked for. Words cant describe how influential the people at this company have been in regards to my career development path.
productive and fun workplace.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 5, 2018
clock in at 6am and get on que for calls coming in. Turn on both computers (dual screens for working.) Take multiple calls from physician office and patients.
Pros
free coffee and vending machines
Cons
early clock in hrs
Great Place to Work
Program Director - Pharma Technical Regulatory (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAOctober 27, 2018
Genentech is a great place to work, if you are in the small molecule area maybe not a strong future ahead. Most of the small molecule late stage work is being transferred to Basel.
Ok place for a contractor
Environmental Quality Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAOctober 24, 2018
work in eqc as a contractor. only downside is no vacation. contractors can now go to events such as cruises and off-site functions. Job is very tedious. Hired for sampling and not testing.
Pros
Many events off-site
Cons
Job is tedious and not really enjoyable
Productive and fun place to work
Member of the Roche Group (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAOctober 22, 2018
I've learned a lot in the Utility group from doing Preventative maintenance work to fielding calls and alarms. The work culture is great for development.
Wonderful place to work
SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAOctober 22, 2018
Amazing employees. Very collaborative but very stressful. However, last 2 years a lot of focus was put on creating a healthy work/life balance. Lots of amenities for employees available, even contractors.
Pros
Great working environment. Wonderful employees to work with.
Cons
Very little room for advancement if you're a contractor.
Hired as a contractor.... quit almost immediately.
Inspection Technician (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, OROctober 20, 2018
I left a security job to work for Genentech as an inspection technician. Now I thought I would be way more happier making 3$ more an hour with great pay $19hr, and great benenfits when hired into the actual company. I asked if this was in a cleanroom environment and I was informed that no it was a lab where you just had to where scrubs. That was fine with me. I did not want to work back in a cleanroom due to my last experience working in one at Intel... cleanrooms are just not my thing. However when I started the job I was made aware that it was a full on cleanroom... 😖. Some people don’t have an issue with cleanrooms but wearing the body suit, hair net, safety glasses, gloves, booties, etc.. is very claustrophobic to me especially when your working in a all white space with no windows for 10hrs or more a day. This wasn’t the worst part for me... the women’s locker room had no stalls and in order to get into your scrubs you had to strip out of your street clothes down to your bra and panties (I saw so many butts that day) and go through your sterilization/gowning process with your other co workers. Now I am not okay with stripping in front of my co workers multiple times a day 😩 and I would think they would have informed me of such. Apparently you are not allowed to where your street clothes under your scrubs. I think I was also off put by the fact that anytime you needed to go to the bathroom, eat, drink, etc you had to go back through the stripping down putting your street clothes back on do what you need to do then go back to the locker room take your clothes off and regrown  more... up... it was just not my type of job even if it paid pretty well. Worst part was the cleanrooms were freezing. Your standing there processing drugs all day in a cold room... I felt like a robot and it was very isolating. idk it just didn’t seem worth it to me but I’m also not big on manufacturing/technology so maybe I was just the wrong person for this type of job. Idk who would actually be passionate about and enjoy doing this tho...  less
Pros
Pay
Cons
Stripping down infront of co workers, cleanrooms in general just suck
Amazing company
Clinical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 19, 2018
Love working here. It is an amazing company with a strong pipeline. My immediate manager is a bright articulate man. The company has excellent work life balance. We are compensated well.
Pros
everything
Cons
restructure
Culture at Genentech
A Member of the Roche Group (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAOctober 18, 2018
The culture at Genentech is something to be very proud of. The quality of work that you do performs great wonder for our patients. Now that we are Roche, there are some changes that we are anticipating.
Procurement (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAOctober 17, 2018
Great place to work, however recent job reductions have lowered my opinion of the company. Good benefits and company perks. Good people to work with.
Used to be great, now the boast about being great
Senior Utility Control Room Operator (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAOctober 13, 2018
Genentech used to truly be a great place to work. They have lost this and simply like to boast about being a great place. Management is terrible, and they are tuning into a typical large corroboration focused on increasing their revenue instead of retaining company talent and helping customers.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no work life balance
Nice workplace
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 11, 2018
you can get free lunch at least twice a week and ping pong table is provided on the site, so you can have fun with your coworkers. everyone is nice and friendly
Genentech is a great place to work as long as your front line manager is effective.
A Member of the Roche Group (Former Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 9, 2018
Genentech has best in class medications that truly help people's lives. It is an innovative and transformative company.

However, an employees life vastly depends on the relationship he/she has their manager.
Productive and fun place to work.
LEARNING CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAOctober 1, 2018
Great people and culture. The resources and opportunities for development and advancement is amazing. Company's mission says it all..."Doing now what the patients need next".
Senior Bioprocessing Technician (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAOctober 1, 2018
Great place to work for. Company is very diverse and it allows somebody for growth. Benefits are great and they treat there employee very well. Upper management are very approachable and takes time to listen to employees concern or feed backs.
Pros
fun environment
What is great as Genentech, Have to take-over became More commercially focused. Much to talk about work life balance but, hard to achieve
Senior Administrative Associate, Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 28, 2018
Productive workplace, political, advancement opportunities limited, constant pressure to do more with less.

Full-time employees treated considerably better than contract in please. Many positions are filled with contract employees that then graduate to full-time employees after a year or two.

More about profits 10 medications. Not the science company Genentech once was. No longer feels like a special place to work but relatively pays well. This is less and less so as the cost of living has increased in San Francisco threefold in the last 10 years
Pros
Make incredible medications for patients
Cons
Genentech is a satellite for Roche pharmaceuticals that a Basil Switzerlanland
Group Manager (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 27, 2018
- Most enjoyable part of the job was collaborating with strong and intellectual people
- Very competitive atmosphere
- Great management
- Learned a lot to help advance career
- Unfortunately, not a lot of opportunities to move up
Pros
Benefits & Culture
Cons
Limited opportunity to move up
Awesome work environment, not the best for growth
Management & Global Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 25, 2018
Great place to work if you're looking for a fun yet intense work culture. Lots of great benefits like the ability to work from home/remotely. Not much room for growth, unfortunately. Mainly hire internally or contractors.
Basic boring call center job
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 25, 2018
If you're looking for a basic job that only requires memorization then this might be the job for you. If you're a creative and ambitious person I do not recommend the Case Manager or Reimbursement positions.

Contract jobs. I personally do not like the way they fire people.
Productive and fun place to work
Program Manager consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 20, 2018
Productive and fun place to work, some flexibility. Lay-offs common-place, long term security not great.
Work was challenging and people were excellent to work with!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genentech. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight