Genentech

Genentech Employee Reviews

United States998 reviews

Found 998 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,011 reviews
rochecontractorculturebiotechbiotechnologydevelopmentcampusbalance

Good place to work if the VPs would stick around and stabilize the company

Turn over rate of directors and VPs are very high. they come in for 18 months change things - leaving a mess in their wake. Tell you your job is safe for 3 years and then have a down size in 8 months. I did like who I worked with.

Not a place to grow your career

Pay is not competitive. Very little development opportunities. High amount of favoritism. Not much room for movement upwards. Promotions are scarce and raises are not competitive.

Genentech insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
  • Clear sense of purpose

Highly Stressful, Toxic Work environment.

People left within first few weeks of training. The Case Manager position seems based on competitiveness and so much surveillance and monitoring. If you are remote, you are expected to have your camera on at all times, keep being told how your will be docked for mistakes, and how only if you perform above your quota, you MIGHT become a full time employee. This call center position is a toxic environment. Please look elsewhere!!

Great place to work with thorough training, ample resources, supportive management, and exciting goals. I learned a lot working here that I took with me.

Great place to learn

Very busy company, often too much work, much was expected on a daily basis. However, I generally did not have to work on weekends, but sometimes experiments ran into the night.

Pros

Great food, easy parking, wonderful amenities

Cons

Work life balance

Great culture

Inspiring team and leaders. Great sense of purpose, feels great to be able to contribute to the common goal. Plenty of training provided in the beginning. I felt prepared starting new job.

Great Company to work for. Great benefits

Great company with Great Benefits and Culture. Work-Life Balance is good but Opportunities for advancement are just ok. Hard to move up or into another department unless you have a connection due to usually fierce competition.

Organized but unfulfilling work

Company is very organized and the training is great.. but the work itself is so unfulfilling and tedious. You don’t really need to use your brain much for this job.. it can get boring very quick

Learned a lot

Paid ok in 2016, now it feels like minimum wage in San Francisco. Good job but not for contractor. Do not talk about politics.They give you a lot of free food, feels good but the sad reality is that they rather feed you than pay you more

Everyone was friendly and leadership seemed good. It was a good place to start with a lot of room to learn. The campus was nice the shuttles from Bart are helpful for commuting.

They don't care about your skills, its a popularity contest

They hire contractors so they don't have to pay benefits. They don't care what your skills are, they want the popular group, even if they aren't qualified

It was a fun and vibrant work environment

There was always events that allowed for networking, socializing and camaraderie. Working hours were flexible and management was very understanding.

Great For Direct Hire, Contractors are overlooked while making up the majority of the workforce

Contractor during Covid pandemic. 90% of the manufacturing work is done by contractors while they receive the least amount of guidance and direction. Very inclusive however, Very cliquey as well. More about who you know that what you do and how you preform. If you can navigate the culture which is VERY cryptic and veiled there is definitely a future for the few that become Full hires. IF you're a contactor, make sure there is a direct hire path in the near future or you will likely end up in limbo.

Overall, I like working at Genentech. Good work-life balance, good pay, good benefits. Coworkers are nice. My manager has been supportive. The company structure is “dynamic” which means that structure is always evolving and changing. People can do rotations, which are intended to help with career growth but often make it confusing to know who snd where to go to get things done. It is a laid back and noncompetitive environment: great for day to day work but a minus for trying to drive forward any big ideas that go against the status quo.

Health Insurance

Contracted through Allied Universal to work at Genentech. Pay is substandard for the amount of work and responsibilites. Management never comes through. They promise raises and it never happens. There is a general feel of unhappiness. Benefits are basic. Also, they will not transfer a person to another site.

Pros

Healthcare

Cons

Pay, benefits, poor management

Experience depends on direct manager

Genentech/Roche wants to be a collaborative and modern workplace. That experience and the ability to benefit from it depends entirely on your direct manager or management line. If you work under retaliatory, vindictive, or self-protecting managers, there is little or no accountability. The mission and the people are excellent. The work itself is interesting. My experience is one the worth professional experiences in my life.

Pros

Smart colleagues, great mission, interesting work

Cons

Bad management/workers can hide in the size of the organization, constant transformation hampers work, very slow progress in the business side

Great Company

My current role I am in is great! I get the support and training I need to become better from my managers and peers. The company overall has a great culture. Love what they do for the patients and employees.

leading edge manufacturing

exciting place to work but management is horrible; the change in management to the current ones was a difficult transition for the company; many good people were let go and the management didn't care; also, the management had a tendency to week out the older workers but that is difficult to prove. There have been many people who worked there for years, unqualified, going nowhere but stay because of the benefits.

benefits

Cons

management is demeaning

What is the best part of working at the company?The company's culture and ethics. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?travel or commute to onsiteWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?I would say Genentech has an excellent Work culture. There is no discrimination in this place. One feels very respected and a lot of opportunities to grow.What is a typical day like for you at the company?There is team meetings, project meetings and working on what I am entrusted with.

Amazing collection of very smart people

Always fascinates me how the absolute best company to work for ( according to Forbes ) was able to conceal all the bad. Manager who recruited me retired after my first 3 months. I should have left when he did

Pros

Full benefits plus stock options on day one

Cons

People can un-make the place much faster

Data driven

If you enjoy having to justify every decision and action with data, this is the place for you. If you dislike working under quotas, you may want to take a pass.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genentech. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

4.1Fairygodboss Score

56%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

89%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss