General Aluminum Manufacturing Company Employee Reviews

2.7
Ratings breakdown
I like the job but it has no opportunity advancing once skill are giving . Your stuck to where they want u
Melt department Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHJune 6, 2018
I’ve exceeded my escape Expecattations no opportunities to advance further in the company . You work 7 days a week along with a few 12 hour shifts during the week
General Aluminum
Area Lead/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  IndianaApril 16, 2018
Overall I enjoyed my time working for General Aluminum. As a company General Aluminum provided stability in my life and allowed me to learn skills that i hope to use in my next job.
Pros
Good work place
Cons
Bad health care
It is not a good place to work
Furnace Operator (Current Employee) –  Rootstown OhioApril 2, 2018
They don't care about your life outside of work they make you work more hours than necessary and you're lucky to get a day off and they don't tell you about weekend work until your clocking out on Friday. No advancement no rases.
Pros
It's a pay check
Cons
Everything else
Good
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Huntington County, INMarch 17, 2018
Decent place to work if you get along with everyone, if not they will make sure you quit or are fired. Work is fast paced and repetitive and current mgmt seems to hold mistakes on the job against you.
No autonomy - controlled by parent company
Employee (Former Employee) –  Ravenna, OHFebruary 2, 2018
General Aluminum in Rootstown, Ohio has a great group of people to work with - very team oriented. They do not treat you like a number but a person; HR Manager there makes it a point to learn your name and make you feel like a part of the family. Unfortunately, they have limited control; parent company has final say on everything including wages and hiring/firing people.
Pros
Personable Staff
Cons
Too corporate
Egyptian treatment of hebrews
Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Conneaut, OHNovember 6, 2017
Lie right to your face with a smile, sabotage and backstabbing everyday. Leadership was that of a second Lt. with a map and compass in Vietnam! No humanity or compassion.
Pros
extensive practice in troubleshoot
Cons
politics, blood from a stone
Has the potential to be a good company
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHOctober 13, 2017
General Aluminum has the potential to be a good company. The major reason they aren't is that they don't have the right people is the right jobs and a major lack of training (no training coordinator). They give one or two days of training and expect you to know everything. Equipment is very old and outdated. Most of the dies are poorly maintained (patched together) which results in poorly made castings. Many customer complaints are usually for repeat occurrences that aren't fixed. Not enough knowledgeable supervisors in casting to ensure casting are made correctly. Die cast operators operate more than 1 casting machine is not a good practice.
Pros
Aluminum die casting is a good businees to be in
Cons
Management lacks focus on the entire business
no fun to work at.
Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHAugust 26, 2017
lack of communication on management always telling you one thing but normally wanted you to do something else.Always changing out glo bars for there melting ovens.
very hostile operations manager to all employees
Maintenance and Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHAugust 16, 2017
hostile operations manager is abusive to employees. The employees work hard and have been promised matching 401k but that has not been done in many years.
Ok place to work
Manufacturing Worker (Current Employee) –  Conneaut, OHApril 21, 2017
One of the highest paying jobs in the are (that doesn't require some form of experience). Work environment is about as good as you'd expect in a factory. Same can be said about management. They do tend to lay off quite a bit, so watch out for that.
Pros
Decent pay, benefits, retirement plan
Cons
Moderately unstable job due to frequent restructuring
Very hot and fast paced
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Conneaut, OHJanuary 24, 2017
Not too bad of a place to work except there is alot of family
members that make up the supervisors and they run things
in a very old boy type of way-not alot of communication
between departments or shifts.
Pros
loved shipping and receiving department
Cons
stopped smoking
Hard work
Tool Maker (Former Employee) –  Conneaut, OHNovember 7, 2016
7 days a week most of the time
I enjoyed my job honestly I was good at it and enjoyed the hours.
I would work there again.
They are very strict about the attendance policy which is hard when you Are required to work Monday through Sunday sometimes ten hour days but you can't beat the overtime
Pros
Good pay good hours
Cons
Hot work conditions
job tiltle
group leader/furnice tender (Former Employee) –  Conneaut, OHJanuary 25, 2016
everyday i went in at 5 to get my day started did a walk threw with third shifed and checked my gas to see if furnice was ready to start for the day then went to the molds made sure date stamps were right for the day.... then i made sure my crew had everything they needed for the work day...
Productive place to work
Conneaut Purchasing Manager/ Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Conneaut, OHJanuary 6, 2014
Starting from a secretary at this company and working my way up was very rewarding for me.