General Assembly Employee Reviews

Great Company, Still Figuring it Out
Leadership Team Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 29, 2018
The company is growing leaps and bounds, but not without bumps in the road. There is a culture of innovation with some very impressive C-levels in place. There is still a bit of legacy management that in uncertain of how to grow the campus business. Enterprise is incredibly well run and growing faster than anything. Great company if the right position presents itself, but if hired, learn the politics quickly.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
politics
Rewarding but often chaotic
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 19, 2018
A rewarding job for those inclined to teach, but very poor work-life balance. This can made worse by an often stressful work environment with high turnover, reactive administrative decisions, and quickly-hired managers with little management experience, sometimes even little work experience.
Would Recommend to Motivated individuals
UX Design Fellow (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 24, 2018
General Assembly does a great job of positioning those who are motivated to change their careers and actively learn. Like many things in life, you get out what you put in. They do a great job of showing you the door, but you have to walk through it.
Pros
Career Support, Network
Cons
Cost, Lack of Food
It's a company that strives for excellence from every employee.
General Assembly (Former Employee) –  Osceola, WIMay 22, 2018
It's a straight 8 hour shift, with overtime if you desire. I learned about different materials and how to handle sheet metal. I had never handled a rivet gun before working here, they provided all the training I required. Management was contradictory at times between Leads and Setups, but once the job got going it was pretty task oriented after that. There was a chain of command in place, but everyone in Assembly was friendly and approachable if I had any questions. The hardest part of the job was churning out parts that needed to go out that day, and trying to fill the order as fast as was possible while paying attention to detail and quality. The most enjoyable part of the job was making parts as fast as I was able while paying attention to detail and quality.
Pros
Lunches were catered on major holidays
Cons
Full healthcare was provided, but it took a steep cut out of the pay.
Student
Student (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 12, 2018
I loved General Assembly. They do a great job of setting your career up for success. They give you all the tools you need to go look for a junior level job. Great school
Fun work environment and great place to meet new people
Frontlines Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 5, 2018
Great place to work while in college. Many opportunities to meet new and exciting people and further develop interpersonal communication. In addition to the awesome management those that work in other departments are equally as adept.
Troubled Times
Front Lines (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2018
Perhaps the company flew a little too close to the sun, but the years I worked there were unnecessarily stressful. Our regional director contributed negatively to our office environment, but there weren't really any checks/balances to his nonsense. Joined in the hope to do some good in the world by leveling the job-training playing field, left feeling kind of skuzzy about the profit-driven structure that encouraged admissions to take advantage of people.
Great People, Great Work
Data Science Instructional Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 22, 2018
Fantastic environment and culture.
Great People, highly recommend.
Well balanced workload amongst teams, very conversational & reasonable leadership teams.
Cons
Holds a bit too tightly to previous teaching styles, slow to change what works.
friendly and warm envirnment
Data Scientist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2018
GA is very good place to grow. I learnt vary new skills in 3 months. I never regret to be part of this organization. They also provide job preparation from reviewing portfolios to verbal programming quizzes. Additionally, after the end of the course, they host a meet and greet with potential employers and also open applications to the GA apprenticeship program. The program is basically a 12 week paid apprenticeship with a tech company.
Mentorship Program still in development
Mentor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 12, 2018
General Assembly is constantly working to improve, which is why they brought on myself and a group of other GA alum to mentor current students. The mentorship program is still a fledgling and will likely change, which is why I'm not leaving a more detailed review. This is an unpaid/voluntary position.

Want to know more about General Assembly?

Ask a question
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant to Virginia State Senator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 11, 2018
Great legislative environment. Busy day, busy constituent contact, learned about process of bill becoming bill, meeting other senators and delegates, meeting the governor and mayor.
Pros
Good Human Resources
Cons
None of which I am aware
Great place to learn
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 19, 2018
You really get a chance to step out of your comfort zone. The lead instructors allow you to teach a full lesson under their supervision if you feel you're ready. There is a lot of free time during lecture. Project weeks and labs are when you are the busiest helping students. Patience is key.
Pros
Work-life, management, great hands on experience
Cons
Project weeks can be stressful, minor busy work.
fast-paced production
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Newark, CANovember 10, 2018
Was a fast-paced production facility that I enjoyed and the co-workers were friendly. I enjoy my time working for the company but looking for something a little more challenging
Pros
coworkers
Cons
pay
Fun Tutor Job
Teaching Assistant(TA) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2018
I started recently as a Teaching Assistant in the student resource center. I tutor students using React, Javascript, Express, Node, etc. Stress-free environment. Enjoy helping people learn new concepts and debugging of issues in projects and assignments.
Pros
Great office
Cons
Part-time currently
Great place to be a student and teacher
UX Designer - Student and Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 3, 2018
I loved working there on contract. I'm not sure I would love being as full-time staff - seems like there is a lot of micro managing . The turnover is pretty high. There's always a buzz there and it was great learning there.
Pros
Dynamic work space
Cons
High staff turnover
Slowed paced and perfectionism is a must
Gater Industries (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMay 31, 2018
I learned how to ever job in the workplace except management and engineering. I didn't care much though for the slow-paced work environment. I liked all my co-workers.
Good job just hard to get use to rotating shifts
General Assembly (Current Employee) –  West Point, GADecember 30, 2017
This jobs pays real well the one thing I didn't like about it is rotating I can never get use to the shift changes every thirty days. I'm also a father and husband and family time means a lot to me an this job interrupts family time.
Pros
health insurance, bonuses, raises, pto days
Cons
rotating shifts, hard to move up
Awesome place to learn and work !
Full Stack Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 14, 2018
General Assembly is an awesome place to learn the most hot technologies in the Information technology world ! Once you leave that place you will always want to go back there, it's the bonding that we all have at GA !
Great place to work!
WEB DEVELOPMENT IMMERSIVE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 22, 2018
The people, organization and pace are all fun and productive. GA is growing and changing, and I felt like they really appreciated my ambitions and personality.
Two Thumbs up
Data Science Immersive Student (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 4, 2018
Great place to work. Would recommend to a anyone as a place to advance their career. Great work culture and always surrounded by great and intelligent people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Assembly. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight