General Assembly Employee Reviews

Troubled Times
Front Lines (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2018
Perhaps the company flew a little too close to the sun, but the years I worked there were unnecessarily stressful. Our regional director contributed negatively to our office environment, but there weren't really any checks/balances to his nonsense. Joined in the hope to do some good in the world by leveling the job-training playing field, left feeling kind of skuzzy about the profit-driven structure that encouraged admissions to take advantage of people.
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant to Virginia State Senator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 11, 2018
Great legislative environment. Busy day, busy constituent contact, learned about process of bill becoming bill, meeting other senators and delegates, meeting the governor and mayor.
Pros
Good Human Resources
Cons
None of which I am aware
Awesome place to learn and work !
Full Stack Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 14, 2018
General Assembly is an awesome place to learn the most hot technologies in the Information technology world ! Once you leave that place you will always want to go back there, it's the bonding that we all have at GA !
Fun Tutor Job
Teaching Assistant(TA) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2018
I started recently as a Teaching Assistant in the student resource center. I tutor students using React, Javascript, Express, Node, etc. Stress-free environment. Enjoy helping people learn new concepts and debugging of issues in projects and assignments.
Pros
Great office
Cons
Part-time currently
friendly and warm envirnment
Data Scientist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2018
GA is very good place to grow. I learnt vary new skills in 3 months. I never regret to be part of this organization. They also provide job preparation from reviewing portfolios to verbal programming quizzes. Additionally, after the end of the course, they host a meet and greet with potential employers and also open applications to the GA apprenticeship program. The program is basically a 12 week paid apprenticeship with a tech company.
Fun work environment and great place to meet new people
Frontlines Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 5, 2018
Great place to work while in college. Many opportunities to meet new and exciting people and further develop interpersonal communication. In addition to the awesome management those that work in other departments are equally as adept.
Great place to be a student and teacher
UX Designer - Student and Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 3, 2018
I loved working there on contract. I'm not sure I would love being as full-time staff - seems like there is a lot of micro managing . The turnover is pretty high. There's always a buzz there and it was great learning there.
Pros
Dynamic work space
Cons
High staff turnover
Would Recommend to Motivated individuals
UX Design Fellow (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 24, 2018
General Assembly does a great job of positioning those who are motivated to change their careers and actively learn. Like many things in life, you get out what you put in. They do a great job of showing you the door, but you have to walk through it.
Pros
Career Support, Network
Cons
Cost, Lack of Food
Great place to work!
WEB DEVELOPMENT IMMERSIVE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 22, 2018
The people, organization and pace are all fun and productive. GA is growing and changing, and I felt like they really appreciated my ambitions and personality.
none provided
Director, Enterprise Accounts (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2018
After the acquisition by The Adecco Group it is unclear how the future of the company will be impacted. As of right now the integration efforts are no entirely clear.
Great
Data Science Instructor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 25, 2018
It has been a good experience to help me learn and grow while I work. I have been able to practice the skills I already know and to reach out to people who have new skills that I do not know comfortably.
Great People, Great Work
Data Science Instructional Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 22, 2018
Fantastic environment and culture.
Great People, highly recommend.
Well balanced workload amongst teams, very conversational & reasonable leadership teams.
Cons
Holds a bit too tightly to previous teaching styles, slow to change what works.
Rewarding but often chaotic
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 19, 2018
A rewarding job for those inclined to teach, but very poor work-life balance. This can made worse by an often stressful work environment with high turnover, reactive administrative decisions, and quickly-hired managers with little management experience, sometimes even little work experience.
Productive and fast paced place to work
Hand assembled parts (Former Employee) –  West Point, GAJuly 2, 2018
Great place to work, good atmosphere and hard working people. People generally worked together as a team. Professional and helpful with the new workers.
area manager (Former Employee) –  Lordstown, OHJune 29, 2018
Solid company that has ever changing competition within the market. It's extremely fast paced and this brings with it the demands of the production goals.
Pros
Experience
Cons
working with the union .
A Very Productive Learning Experience Involving Data Science
Data Science Fellow (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2018
Learned a variety of statistical modeling tools and concepts for statistical modeling: regression, categorical
predictions, data cleaning, sklearn library, ANNs, webscraping, machine learning.
A great program.
Student, Web Development Immersive (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 15, 2018
A great program that pushed me to grow my skills as a web developer. Great curriculum that introduced me to the most exciting aspects of current web development.
Slowed paced and perfectionism is a must
Gater Industries (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMay 31, 2018
I learned how to ever job in the workplace except management and engineering. I didn't care much though for the slow-paced work environment. I liked all my co-workers.
It's a company that strives for excellence from every employee.
General Assembly (Former Employee) –  Osceola, WIMay 22, 2018
It's a straight 8 hour shift, with overtime if you desire. I learned about different materials and how to handle sheet metal. I had never handled a rivet gun before working here, they provided all the training I required. Management was contradictory at times between Leads and Setups, but once the job got going it was pretty task oriented after that. There was a chain of command in place, but everyone in Assembly was friendly and approachable if I had any questions. The hardest part of the job was churning out parts that needed to go out that day, and trying to fill the order as fast as was possible while paying attention to detail and quality. The most enjoyable part of the job was making parts as fast as I was able while paying attention to detail and quality.
Pros
Lunches were catered on major holidays
Cons
Full healthcare was provided, but it took a steep cut out of the pay.
Life balance was non existant
Technician (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 15, 2018
If you want to work and not enjoy yourself this is the job for you managers were not real managers. It all depends on who you known and who's butt you were willing to kiss
Pros
Money
Cons
No Life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Assembly. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight