General Atomics and Affiliated Companies Employee Reviews

Good peaceful work environment
Armed Security Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2019
I enjoy this position a lot of time to yourself performing access control and if your first shift the sunrise is beautiful the coworkers are really nice too.
Pros
good flexible hours
Cons
tough to move up from security
Great place to work and advance
DESKTOP SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 8, 2019
I was a GA for a short time on a contract, but while there I learned a ton. I also met a lot of amazing people. GA is a big company and some place you can advance your career and be with for a very long time.
Na
Avionics Technician III (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 6, 2019
Great company, Good Pay, this is the best job i have ever had. most of the employees are good people with only a very few "bad eggs".
I really like how well the company treats me.
Boring Corporate Company
Materials and Processes Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 28, 2019
This was my first job out of college. I spent each day looking for and waiting for work. The work I was given was either really interesting and really quick, or extremely boring and tedious. One of the nice things about GA is that they're willing to help pay for your education to some extent. I got to take a class through MIT and have it fully paid for by the company. Management is interesting since we have one boss, under a boss, under a boss, under a boss, like any other large corporate company. The culture is monotonous. It's just like you see in movies - people driving through 45 minutes of traffic to sit in a prison-cube for 9 hours a day and drive 45 minutes in traffic to come home and sleep. Not many people are friendly here, but there are some younger engineers I've been able to get to know. The hardest part of the job is getting promoted. You can work your butt off for 3+ years and not get anything but the annual merit raise. But the departments only give one person a promotion per year per team. The most enjoyable part is the benefits. Since its a large corporate company, they have a great 401K, pension, insurance, and all that. Probably the only reason I can give this place above 2 stars.
Benefits
Cons
Boring
The work was significant in the securityof the country
Technician III (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 28, 2019
A tipical day at work was relaxed I learned a lot of new tecinical infornation. management was very cuatomer orented. The hardest part of the job was when it ended
Pros
great place to work
Cons
regreted leaving
Nepotism and bad management
Senior SAP Business Process Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rancho Bernardo, CAJanuary 24, 2019
nepotism and bad management,managers will over ride and chastise you in meetings. Any minute a manager can explode on a employee. Meetings are scheduled to schedule meetings
Terrible Place to Work
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Poway, CADecember 31, 2018
Poor engineering management and terrible engineering culture. There is a very clicky environment that dictates decisions instead of analysis. There are lots of DOD procedural issues when compared to other contractors, that aren't understood when explained. Raises are rarely over 3% which does not keep up with inflation and definitely doesn't keep up with the cost of living in San Diego. GA also keeps HSA funds instead of rolling them over to your account and extended work weeks "EWW" (required additional hours, no extra pay or promotions) are commonly used to make up for poor management.
Great Place to work and excellent benefits.
Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 24, 2018
I love working for GA. been going strong for many years. One things I will say is advancement is slow in some areas and pay is a bit below average for the areas. They do make up for those things in the benefits offered as they some of the best in the industry.
Pros
Great benefits. Good work/family balance.
Cons
Pay below average, Slow advancement.
GSE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CANovember 28, 2018
Overall its great place to work. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for the position applied for without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or other non-merit factors. We welcome and encourage applications from minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities (including disabled veterans).
Pros
Every other Friday OFF
Cons
Complicated to advance within
Great benefits, pension
Subcontract Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 14, 2018
It's hard to find a defense contractor that offers a 401K and pension. There is tuition reimbursement for full time employees. There is paid military leave for reservists/guardsmen.
Pros
retirement
Cons
management, workload
A great place to work!
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 4, 2018
GA is a great place to work. If you grow tired of the technology you are working on, find a new one. It is good to help get new technologies to the marketplace.
No fun working at GA !
Intern (Current Employee) –  Shannon, MSOctober 6, 2018
No Management Planning. Run from CA. Daily work changes without plans. Expanding without the thoughts of what will be worked. No far thinking for work load.

May not get vested with company in retirement; it takes 5 years !
Pros
Not Many!
Cons
No Work Planning or Schedule !
good company, great people
Sr. PCB Designer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 25, 2018
Really enjoyed the experience working on cutting edge tech. The environment was very productive and enjoyable to work with. Work schedules were somewhat relaxed but achievable
Good for learning and great benefits but poor management and leadership
Systems Specialist iii (Current Employee) –  Poway, CASeptember 25, 2018
General Atomics is a big name in the Aerospace industry. They offer competitive compensation and great benefits. However, if you don't know someone in your management then don't expect to get moved up very quickly or at all. Favoritism runs rampant in this company and promotions are not given to those who work for them or have more experience. They are given to those who know someone. This has been my experience in IT and manufacturing tech so I can't speak for other departments. If you're ok with all that then you can't really beat the benefits working here.
Pros
Great benefits, job security, decent compensation
Cons
Privately held, favoritism, not moving up in departments
Great Job
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CASeptember 19, 2018
It was great working for this company, great hours, benefits. The location was a little remote. The only reason I left was due to a work injury. I wish I could have stayed
Pros
Hours, benefits, friendly staff
Cons
remote location
They have great benefits. The management is lacking in some departments.
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tupelo, MSSeptember 14, 2018
They have great benefits. However, they lack leadership in certain areas of the company. Favoritism is shown throughout the facility. They don't have much training when you start, you just have to fall in and watch. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get that bonus mid year if you have shown them that you have excelled in your job.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Poor management
exellent place to work at
Auto Metrix Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Poway, CASeptember 4, 2018
i learned a lot
great people to work with management is awesome
the benefits are pretty good compare to other companies
I recommend people working there
Fast Growing Company
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Tupelo, MSSeptember 2, 2018
GA has been expanding over the years and has seen very fast growth. This is very exciting to see as you work on advanced technology for military defense.
Pros
Great pay and benefits.
Cons
N/a
Too big of a company
Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 26, 2018
The company is growing rapidly but is having a hard time retaining employees. There is no open door policy between lower and upper management. 9/40 workweek is a plus though
Good Place
Document and Data Administration (Former Employee) –  Adelanto, CAAugust 18, 2018
Worked the early shift. Enjoyed the people interaction. I learned about the drawings intricacy and attention to detail.

Management on the whole was very good. The culture promotes teamwork.
Pros
Great benefits and retirement plan.
Cons
Not many places to eat on a 1/2 hour lunch.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Atomics and Affiliated Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight