General Atomics

General Atomics insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Used to be a good place to work

Employee moral is extremely low due to the lack of flexibility for work schedule. We spent 18+ months working remotely with some of our best output ever and now we are lucky if we get to work remotely one day per week. The company will be left behind in the industry due to them not adapting to the times. Upper management is a boys club filled with old men not willing to change their ways.

Pros

Good co-workers and team work

Cons

Lack of flexibility, difficult to move up within the company

Unsustainably high turnover and lots of overtime

The software team was incredibly understaffed due to unsatisfied coworkers, so instead of hiring more people quicker, the team was forced to do lots of overtime every week for months, including some nights. This caused a lot of burnout amongst the team.The code-base is so unmanageable and outdated that making changes is near impossible. The upper management's way of doing things is also very outdated.

This company provides state of the art products

Designing components was the most satisfying part of my job. Surface and 3D modeling were my strong points. Paperwork - not so much but was important to get done.

Pros

Nice working environment and inclusive.

Cons

My exit from the company was poor and manipulative.

Not a bad place to start off

It’s not a bad job but, HR won’t work with you. I found out the difference in pay that I was getting and when I tried to talk to HR about how I wasn’t receiving my medical benefits they just shrugged it off. I tried multiple times to at least get decent pay but I didn’t get any response.

Pros

Easy going, good work ethic

Cons

Hr, and no real growth.

Average

Best part of working for this private defense contractor is their excellent benefits package that includes both a 401K and pension. Company also offers a 9/80 work schedule. Lots of people in management roles that do not belong there.

Pros

Excellent benefits package

Cons

Archaic processes

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Solid workplace

No micromanagement, just weekly meetings to give status, leads to a stress-free work environment. I work 40 hours a week, I've heard some of my coworkers are strongly encouraged to work 50-60 hours a week (it depends on the project you're assigned).Not much room for growth in my opinion, unless you want to take a manager role.

Pros

Stress-free

Cons

Limited growth

Great company. Needs more flexibility to allow remote work for employees who are able and want to

Great company to work for, but that can really depend on the group you end up in. There are different divisions that are in different locations that engineer and manufacturer different products, the biggest division by far being GA-ASI the drone division. I have done really well at GA and enjoy working here.

Pros

Benefits are top notch! Everything is very nice on campus, and all equipment is very nice.

Cons

Mininimal remote work

Work is rewarding culture is outdated

Company needs to start taking better care of their employees outside of benefits which they are starting to. Flexible work arrangements are being introduced.

Excellent company and employees that actually care!

I worked at GA-ASI for a year and a half right through the peak of Covid. I was impressed with the company and furthermore the employees. Everyone I asked about how certain things worked or why I always got an answer. I enjoyed working there and the management I had was the best. Company was driven and quality was number 1.

Pros

Excellent management and work environment.

Cons

QA policies were out dated and needed changes as this slowed production.

Culture is not great but improving

The technology is interesting and the work is flexible; you can get involved as little or as much as you want in the projects going on. It was a shock when I started; I was not introduced to the team or given many substantial projects directly. My manager does not seem to be a good listener, is slow to act and make decisions, and doesn't advocate for me or the rest of the team. Once I learned to advocate for myself and seek out my own work I did pretty well, but it took a while for me. It seems that the company is just now trying to formalize some basic people management processes, like having career discussions with employees, and it is a surprise that it has taken so long for a company of this size. I think this is why retention is low. Also upper management does not communicate any coherent company strategy or vision.

Pros

Interesting projects and tech

Cons

Basic people management processes are lacking

Not competitive paying

The company is overall just okay. They don’t pay competitively at all. The annual raise is about 2-3%. Management is clueless of the actual problems facing the little guy. If you bring up the issues you will be punished.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Non competitive wages. Lack of proper management

Company Centric Environment Outside Experience Not Valued

There is a lot of in company culture that is home grown and not open to outside experience. Company only wants to promote those that have tenure in the company and do not use much weight on actual work experience.

Pros

980 schedule, flexible work

Cons

management, leaders, company culture

Amazing Manager

I loved working at GA as a contractor. My manager was amazing, very supportive and encouraging.I did take away some new knowledge, skills, and abilities from my time spent at GA.Hardest part of my job was making sure I bring my lunch, they have awesome cafeterias with some real good food!I enjoyed working with a small but mighty team of HR Professionals.

Great brand, events, community

Satisfaction seems to be directly correlated with management and department. Lots of company events pre-Covid and community feel despite being so separated in a huge manufacturing facility that feels like a town. Hardest part of the job is trying to understand the product effectively.

Pros

Friendly coworkers

Cons

Lack of job growth

Un buen ambiente de trabajo

Me encantó trabajar en General Atomics,buen compañerismo,buen equipo de trabajo,buen ambiente en mi área de trabajo.

Pros

Buenas prestaciones

Great Workplace

Management and other engineers were really helpful. Everyone is super nice and inclusive. Got let go because of covid and budgetary cuts. Overall, great plce.

Fun, good learning experience, bad communication and tool controls

Self driven work environment with the freedom do to choose work within your department. Casual dress code is a plus. Benefits are good. Poor communication between shift and tends to to be more personal driven maintenance rather than the needs of the company. Really poor tool control and 5S practices.

Pros

Casual work environment, no micromanagement

Cons

Growth is not based on merit. Poor tool control

Great people tp work with

Management is not good in the department I was in .Dont have a clue about the business but there may be help on the way for the LRU test araa but the supervisor had no clue

Pros

Good coworkers

Cons

Micro management

Great place to work at

Loved my time at GA great place to work at. Got to do something new everyday and learned quite a few things from senior engineers that were very ingenious with their projects.

Great workplace with many opportunities to learn

I very frequently leave the office knowing more than I did at the beginning of the day. This company is very driven towards success. My manager is very nice and is always willing to take time out of his day to teach me things. He cares that I'm enjoying my work, balancing my lifestyle, and learning along the way.

Pros

Very friendly staff.

Cons

No cons.

Pay and benefits

Management culture has changed over the past 10 years. Formerly proactive management has become lackadaisical in their decision making. Upper management seems more interested in hiring mid and lower level managers and supervisors who simply "go along, to get along" rather than people who are genuinely concerned with making things better for the customer, company and employees.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Management disinterested in employees input.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Atomics. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
2.7Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Learn about General Atomics in Poway, CA

• General Atomics
  • Poway, CA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?