General Cable Employee Reviews

If you’re willing to work hard, this is the job for you
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, TXAugust 7, 2018
I absolutely love this job but it is NOT for everyone. No central air or heat. Physically demanding, certain managers do pressure you but I look at it as just doing their jobs. You automatically begin on graveyard( after training for a month or so on days). 12 hour shifts, mandatory overtime ( not every week) management seems to be just like any other company.. some supervisors can relate to you and go above and beyond to work as a team while others are constantly complaining and pointing fingers. Coworkers are nice, you end up spending ALOT of time with them. I would NOT recommend this job to a single parent that doesn’t have any help. I am recently divorced with no kids.. i have the time and the means to work 13 nights straight with one night off
Pros
Good money, great learning experience
Cons
Barely have a social life
good place to work
Operator (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNAugust 4, 2018
great atmosphere to work climate place lack of hours job instability bad management good and bad, people laid back lack of training management out of place
It is an okay workplace to work at if you don't mind working night shift for years on end.
Data Com QA (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, KYAugust 3, 2018
This is just another place to work. I personally would not recommend a friend to work there unless you are already family or acquainted with some of the present work crew members.

The pay is okay for starting out working in a factory.

The management is closed-minded if you say something about current employees work ethics or disagreements ..mostly one-sided ...you are on the wrong side of the coin.
nothing negative
Line tester (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNJuly 27, 2018
starting off,it can be quite dull,but once you learn more of the machines, your down time dimishes and the day seems to progress.well aired and heated.
Pros
alternating days off and on
Cons
day drags
Plant Closed
Jacketing Operator (Former Employee) –  Bonham, TXJuly 27, 2018
I was a Jacketing Operator, which consisted of a 3 man team which I was a team leader. It was s good place to work, normal factory job environment. I enjoyed the people that worked there. The plant closed and moved operations.
Last Year at Company
Sr. Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYJuly 20, 2018
Due to the sale and acquisition that has been going on for the last year, the work environment has been very stressful. Employees have been told that there is going to be signification layoffs since the acquisition and there has been no communications.
New people get stuck with the extra hours
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PAJuly 20, 2018
Pay was good for my area. Management were pretty decent. If you did your job and were self sufficient you rarely had pressure from or issues with supervisors (that was my experience). Physical exertion was what I expected it to be, moderate leaning towards heavy some days. Scheduling leaved a lot to be desired. The sequence of orders was not conducive to minimize change overs on machine, which subsequently caused excess downtine (machine not physically running). The only saving grace there was that unless an order was a "rush" order you could take your liberties and work on jobs in a sequence which made your life easier and saved the company money in the big picture. Again, not a production personnel responsibility, scheduling/management/supervisors should have had a better grip on this. Breaks were standard, time off was normal. Benefits were good. Safety was practiced above all else. Much time spent in safety training. Maybe a little boring at times, but kudos for GC for making safety a priority, they get a 5 for that. I really enjoyed the work environment other than it was extremely, extremely dirty. Metal and grease head to toe almost every day. Had to use seat covers in vehicle to prevent destroying my interior. Come home and shower after a shift a MUST. Co-workers were outstanding. I've been in manufacturing for 30+ years and the shop floor employees and management made it feel like you were family. For a big corporate company, that says a lot. Best place I've worked concerning that topic. Ultimately I left because as the new person with no vacation  more... you were forced to work the additional hours. I consistently had weeks of 60+ hours. 12 on 12 off shifts. Went 9 days in a row at one point doing this because of forced overtime. Needless to say work life balance was out of wack and ultimately is why I left. If you don't mind living to work instead of working for a living, go work there.  less
Pros
Co-workers excellent
Cons
Excessive overtime left no home life
Great place to work, good pay, and fair treatment of employees.
Laboratory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PA 17701July 6, 2018
I enjoyed my job at General Cable. The pay was good and the benefits were excellent. We were expected to learn new jobs on a continuous basis, but this was good experience. The only negative I can say was that my position was eliminated and I was given the opportunity to move out of state.
Pros
Good pay and continuous learning.
Cons
My position was eliminated.
It wass very stressful
Machine Operator and General Assembler (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAJuly 4, 2018
General Cable paid a fair rate. I was there for 26 years and I learned a lot of things by moving through the factory at different jobs. The jobs taught me that I can work independently or with a group.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Was very physical and stressful.
my goals for productivity was high.
General Assembler & Online Packer (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAJuly 1, 2018
Factory work and piece work is very hard, I worked 2nd shirt and that was hard on my family life. My American job went to Mexico, how happy would you be in this situation.
Pros
anything after 8 hour workday was time and a half.
Cons
working in a union environment was different.
Tandem Operator (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, KYJune 25, 2018
General Cable is one of the best places to work in Lawrenceburg, KY. The company has been in the local area for almost 50 years, and has proven time and again that they provide steady income for the community.
Productive and friendly place to work
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAJune 13, 2018
At the start of the shift you are given a stack of orders that needed to be assembled and produced. You need to read the orders and sit up the machine to run the wire as according to the spec. sheets. Then the orders are sent to Quality. Then to packing, on to the warehouse. The other employees was helpful and friendly. At the end of the shift we would all jump in to help what ever cell member needed help to finish the job so that the next shift will have a fresh start on the orders they will do. The hardest part of the job was learning it. There was many different components and wire. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the safety committee. It is always enjoyable to have a clean safety record. The company received the safety award eight years in a row while I was working there.
Pros
Safety awards, monthly free lunches, bonus
Cons
It moved to Mexico
Very career minded buisness for those who work hard
Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNJune 8, 2018
Great place to work for the last 15 years and also a great place for advancement if you prefer to work more than live. General Cable demands the upmost dedication from its salary and management than I believe other companies do, but they will reward you through salary and position advancement.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
50+ a week
Very challenging work environment
Human Resource Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Willimantic, CTJune 8, 2018
The company has been in "transition" for years. It makes it difficult to feel settled and take time to appreciate what has been accomplished due to the rapid pace at which everyone is expected to implement and adapt to change.
Management Is Terrible
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RIMay 31, 2018
The management there is terrible and you are not supported at all, you are given tons of projects and told to work on them to just get shutdown in the end. It was not very for filling, but there were flexible with hours. I will finish off by saying they rely to much on there process engineers to the point that we become limited ourselves
What I Liked
Extruding Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHMay 3, 2018
It was a job that taught me a lot about manufacture. The supervisor was friendly and helpful when I first arrived and worked at General Cable. The other people working there were also friendly.
general cable is ok to work for
Wire and cable material handler (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, PAApril 29, 2018
this company needs better insurance very poor coverage.. pay is good for what you do.. this company works 12 hours day which can work for some people..
Pros
you only work 14 days a month
Cons
poor insurance
Multi-Craft Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNApril 26, 2018
I enjoyed working at GC. If I ever decide to work in Jackson again, I would love to go back. I still maintain a great relationship with this company. It also is air conditioned.
great place to work
Extrusion Operator (Former Employee) –  Willimantic, CTApril 15, 2018
Management was great for the most part but could get overwhelmed and overlook some aspects. The jobs are easy and you get paid very well for what you do. the people are nice for the most part. They provide all the equipment and ppe you need to perform your tasks overtime is offered all the time and you can always cross train on other machines.
Pros
benefits package, good work envirement, great pay
Cons
management can slack and work can get slow
Under Construction
DIRECTOR GLOBAL LEARNING & DEVELOPMENT (Current Employee) –  Provincia di Milano, LombardiaApril 3, 2018
A low margin business drives thinking. Tough work, but great comradery. New owners coming in should help fix strategic problems and return to profitability

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Cable. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight