General Dynamics Mission Systems
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from General Dynamics Mission Systems:

General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA43 reviews
location in sterling was not so great traffic awful. work environment pleasant usual job drama. Management issues, lots of turnover because of management. HR no help
Pros
compensation and people
Cons
management
There is no room for upward mobility. As a senior analyst I was treated like a junior analyst. The contract does not understand nor saw any benifit from intelligence analysis.
Cons
The pay was also well below other competitors
Good company to work for. 980 schedule-off every other Friday, good benefits. Good place to work. Good work ethics. Good moral values.

Doing and hiring software developers, insider threat analyst, industrial engineers, full stack developers, FPGA Engineers, Technical writers, with active security clearances from the lowest the highest all over the US.Attended job fairs for cleared individuals.

Interfaced with hiring managers, and involved in salary negotiations, extended offers.
Happy to go into detail in person or over the phone on a typical day, what I learned, management style, workplace culture, and the hardest part of my job at GDAIS.
A typical day includes balancing checking email, writing code, and attending meetings. Working on multiple projects is a possibility, which means even more context switching over the course of the day. Each team and project is a little different in terms of size, structure and workflow. The hardest part of the job is that increased responsibility and work load is not compensated with adequate pay. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to flex your hours during the week.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
It is a great place to work. The leadership provides clear guidance on what the focus of the business is. It is also a very collaborative work environment.
Not a lot of opportunities in my field of work. I worked for GD for 9 years before I moved to another contract. I would work for GD again if the opportunity presented itself.
Never willing to provide on the job training or cross training in order to change career fields.Internal job recruiting is terrible. Instead of hiring within leads would rather hire an experienced external hire before promoting within because leads do not want to take the time to train anyone even if the person has had some experience and/or training in common with the internal position. This results in a lot of turnover.
Good company, but they could make better decisions sometimes. Management for this company needs more training on being better at managing people. Tasks are completed, but sometimes at the expense of the people working for the manager.
Contracts often lost. Can be laid off during clearance process. Therefore, not a stable source of employment. Difficult to advance. Good compensation, and benefits.
I worked for GD for 20 years in the IT management field. I advanced quickly and was promoted and compensated fairly all throughout my career there. I always enjoyed the people I worked with and my management over the course of my career there was excellent and provided great mentoring.
Company gave me a lot of opportunity and was very supportive. There was always a lot of opportunity to learn and when a contract came to an end, GD worked very hard to find everyone a new location.
Pros
supportive company
Cons
Contracts come to an end.
Nice people
Great manager

good working hours

location is great for me for some people they can work from home

Would highly recommend to work at GDMS

Regards
I have had a great career at GD & would continue but not in Mission Systems, preferably GDIT. Mission Systems has gone thru several corporate changes and still seems quite lost. They have love several LONG term, stable contracts due to poor management from the corporate side. They talk about speak up from the bottom and listen to the middle management...but they dont really want to hear or see it. They were in operations and decided they need to move toward products...they dont have products, they had service and software...
Pros
For the 1st 10 years it was awesome
Cons
They've done nothing to retain long term contracts
The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with. You work closely with the people around you and build relationships when working with them daily.
Very good benefits, free coffee, great place to further a technical career such as software and systems engineering, defense applications, avionics, ship building, warship systems (radar, sonar, ship defense systems). Working outside the box is encouraged, good tools for doing your job, great management.
Pros
free coffee, good benefits, work from home
Cons
training could be better (funding for courses, degree, etc)
GDMS has some of the absolute brightest and passionate people to work with. Work locations and schedules offer many opportunities for people to grow. Great place to grow!
This group of people were great - a close nit group supporting a gov contract. We did a lot to help the customer and each other. Corp was good about helping the employees.
GDMS is a firm that is technical and engineering focused for military customers. Most work is project based and firm is led by engineering managers. Very few commercial projects.
Pros
5/4 schedules
Cons
Top heavy. Hires mostly senior level persons
Great place for women. I enjoyed my experience with this company. The work day is standard. The management team is good and the co-worker build lifetime bonds.
Great opportunity to develop meaningful countermeasures to help protect America from future terrorist attacks. In the time period, there was no greater call. Allowed to provide skill sets to multiple US Departments such as the Department of Homeland Security.
Pros
Serving my country
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Mission Systems. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
3.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
General Dynamics Mission Systems Reviews by Location