General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews

Relax easy going
Sr. Advance Engineer Tech II (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 18, 2019
flexibility, easy going boss, enjoyed working environments, jobs, friend people, learned a lots from jobs skills , enjoyed travel for the jobs, able to do you job with out looking over your shoulder
just a fun place to work
Fitter welder (Former Employee) –  Kilgore, TXJanuary 16, 2019
I liked the work and the fast pace
some jobs required me to think how to complete in time on W.O.
management was ok
job required a lot of skills like machining and close mesurment
I was required to take prints and get parts tack and weld out
quality was number1 on all jobs and on time to ship
I had a lot more skills then most in my shop and helped others with there projects
Pros
good health care good vacation good work envroment
Cons
short brakes to much overtime
Nice place to work
Advanced Quality Assurance Inspector (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MAJanuary 5, 2019
I have been satisfied to work at GD for 11 years. The company offers good benefits and the 90/80 schedule is definitely nice. Most of the job are clean and pleasent to work.
Pros
90/80 schedule
Cons
I have not seen much opportunities to grow frim where I am.
Management is poor and inaware on the production flow.
Production Operator II (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 2, 2019
You get hired on based off of who you know not the quality of your work. On a regular day the person working is more likely to get chewed out than the person playing on their phone. The work itself is enjoyable, the only downfall is being harassed by management. My manager directly told me, "At General Dynamics when you are out of work you don't come to us for work to do, if we decide to give you work then we will come to you." Some months are packed with mandatory overtime, others months there is no work on the production floor.
Pros
paid lunch, assemblies are fun to build
Cons
poor management, months were there is no work
Good company
Training Manager / Logistics (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 27, 2018
Good company, but they could make better decisions sometimes. Management for this company needs more training on being better at managing people. Tasks are completed, but sometimes at the expense of the people working for the manager.
Lack of support, mangement, communication
Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 10, 2018
The lack of communication, constant scheduling changes, and lack of support makes this job very frustrating. The uncertainty of landing future contracts, and broken promises also makes job security seem less than likely. Employees are spread paper thin, due to lack of manpower. Management seems to be non-existent and unsupportive.

Also, good luck on trying to get classroom learning opportunities, since the company neglects funding for educational training courses.

The lunch breaks are pretty nice, and so are the coworkers. The pay is decent, but raises are insignificant.
Pros
Nice lunch breaks, coworkers
Cons
Management, communication, support
What I learned
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZDecember 3, 2018
I was able to go from a junior software developer to a Project Manager in a fairly short about of time due to hard work and dedication learning the product and company processes.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Not enough management jobs
A step to something better
Sales Engineer - SATCOM SME (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 1, 2018
The company subsidized health insurance was more affordable than buying from the marketplace under the ACA. Sadly pay scales are low, and the benefit of the recent tax break, to the extent it was distributed to the employees, was only done as better 401k matching.

The company finally upgraded to the open office architecture which turned out to be less disagreeable than anticipated, but there's plenty of information available indicating this really is a less productive environment.

Sadly frequent reorganization and operational procedures mandated by parts of the company that don't understand how other parts need to operate makes profitable operation a significant challenge.
Pros
OK IT infrastructure, good coworkers, some schedule and location flexibility, decent health insurance
Cons
Management, pay
Some flexibility in work schedule
Business Area Senior Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MANovember 8, 2018
Appreciated some flexibility in work schedule and the ability to work from home at times. Hardest part of the job was meeting corporate and government demands. Worked with great people in my department.
Loved the team that I worked with.
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 7, 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the developers and fixing problems in the product. Working with the team was the most rewarding part of my job.
Pros
Good team unity.
Cons
Healthcare cost more and got less every year.100
Good clean place to work, good pay and benefits very good chances on getting promoted and yearly compensation increases
Program Performance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAOctober 18, 2018
Good place to work if you are a computer savvy person. Above average pay with good benefits especially the work schedule. Very different work environment as you are usually stuck in a 9x9 cubicle for 8 hours a day with very little interaction with co-workers.
General Dynamics was an excellent place to work.
Senior Systems Engineer, DKK Company (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 15, 2018
I was gainfully employed as a Senior Systems Engineer on the General Dynamics "Alternate Infrared Satellite System" and on the SBIRS Block 6 Flight Demonstration System. I commuted weekly from Colorado Springs to El Segundo, CA to support General Dynamics' contract with Northrop Grumman at Space Park.

I was collocated with the Northrop customer while working as a sub contractor to General Dynamics.
Pros
Excellent team environment.
Cons
None.
The work environment is enjoyable.
Advanced production operator (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNOctober 3, 2018
I was happy to work at General Dynamic Mission System for the past 3 years of work. The team was working well together and improving daily learning. I was glad to gained my experience from General Dynamic Mission System.
Very productive
Advanced Engineer Scientist (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CASeptember 21, 2018
Day went really quickly as there was a lot to do all the time. Never boring. Great group of people. Very diversified. Learning potential was very good. Always something new to learn.
Pros
Free lunches
Productive, fun and rewarding.
Logistics analyst/technition (Current Employee) –  Mission ValleySeptember 17, 2018
I have never worked for a better company I feel like I am apart of a family and I get to wake up every day and do something that matters. Truly a good environment to grow and learn in all aspects of life.
Poor managment at all levels
Midrange Manage (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MASeptember 8, 2018
Management has lost contact with the people actually making the company successful. The day to day workers. Management is focused on getting additional work from the customers and is providing low quality products. Not a good long term solution.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Stressful work environment.
Great Place to Work.
Senior Principal Field Network Specialist (Current Employee) –  Anywhere, USSeptember 3, 2018
I have been able to advance quickly and have been offered many opportunities to work between departments to gain more experience as desired. A great place to work.
Productive work environment and Opportunity to grow
SR. ADV. FIELD SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE 1 (Current Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXAugust 18, 2018
Hard working projects are all around. Ability to grow within your job scope or lateral-train to grow is always available.Depending on your job, it is definitely demanding. However, you have the ability to be creative, because not every solution is in a book.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement, gym reimbursement, 401K
Cons
Terrible healthcare options (high deductible)
Collaborative Team Environment
Tool/Pattern Shop Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Marion, VAAugust 16, 2018
Each day has it's unique challenges requiring adjustments to the previous days plan. Working together we modify the plan daily to continue to deliver the best products in the industry safely, on time and within budget.
Pros
Flexibility to be creative and influence the system of turing raw materials into finished goods.
Cons
The place I work is 50 miles away from the place I live, and I don't want to change the place I live.
Overall Work Environment
2D Technical Illustrator (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 12, 2018
Working as a contractor with General dynamics has been great. The organization seems to care a lot about the people who are hired and it's reflected in a more productive team and overall nice environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Mission Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at General Dynamics Mission Systems.

Powered by Comparably