General Dynamics Mission Systems
Happiness rating is 64 out of 100

General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews

United States442 reviews

gddynamicdefensegeneralcontractgovernmentengineerengineering

I feel well cared for working for GDMS. The nature of my work is fulfilling, and I plan to stay for many years.

Featured review

General Dynamics Mission Systems selected this as a representative review
Working for GDMS can best be described as flexible, challenging (in a good way), constructive, and fair. The company provides constant outlets to resolve issues, and higher management very much looks after the well being of their employees.

March 16, 2022
Thank you for your review and your loyalty. We are entirely committed to making General Dynamics Mission Systems a great place to work and we appreciate your recognition of our continued efforts. Thanks for being a part of it!

What is the best part of working at the company?The quest for excellence in products and services supporting the Warfighter.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Theres a very cyclic workflow going from the duldrums to a perfect storm level of projects.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Good team work environment that is very dynamic, diverse and super productive.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Everyday has a different element to it that kept the job from being mundane. Plenty of opportunities to learn and grow in your career.

General Dynamics Mission Systems insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Sense of belonging

Average pay and more than likely easy work

If you get placed in an R&D group, it's very likely that you'll be doing some pretty cool testing and hardware design. However if you're in something like space then you'll have to fill out paperwork for everything that you do.

Pros

Job Security

Cons

Pay is pretty average

No structure or leadership

There is insufficient training for production workers and little or no grooming employees internally for technical or supervisor positions. You can’t hire techs and supervisors off the street and expect them to contribute if they haven’t had hands on experience and training.

Pros

Hours

Cons

Morale is terrible

Productive and Busy Workplace

This company has high advancement opportunities for engineering. If you seek to learn and grow, you will be challenged. Those who show drive and integrity are fought over between program teams and end up getting assigned far more work than is feasible. Technical management is aware of the issue and make a very strong effort to do nothing about it. If you are not an engineer, prepare to be laid off during the next unforeseen economic downturn. The engineering work is not very technical or research intensive. There’s a lot of process and paperwork. For Software, 10 percent of your time is touching code. The rest is dealing with process. Compensation packages are on the admirable side initially, but don’t grow as fast as other companies in the area.

What is the best part of working at the company?Rarely let go anyone working directly on gov contractsWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Over micromanagementWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Comply or be replaced. Not encouraging for long term employment hence a very high turn over rate.

Flexible Working Options

The work/life balance is mostly good, and they are loose about their hybrid/work-from-home model, so I rarely go into the office. The only downside is that I am not completely interested in the projects, but that is just because of the industry, not the specific company.

What is the best part of working at the company?People you work with What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The preach ‘work-life balance’ but don’t live it. People are stressed What is the work environment and culture like at the company?People just wait for their turn to get laid off

Great Stepping Stone

I've had a good experience. They need to hire more people and find better ways of retaining the competent workers. I've seen a lot of people leave because they found better opportunities with this companies competitors.

Management makes decisions without fully understanding situations

There were times when the job would be very frustrating because management did not fully understand the issues. They would not take the time to hear all facets of a situation or they did not care. They had a preconceived solution which may or may not fit and could do further harm.

September 26, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience at General Dynamics Mission Systems. We take it seriously. While reviewing and improving every aspect of our culture is an ongoing commitment, your input will help us move forward even faster. If you have more feedback or ideas about how we can improve, please let us know at GDMSCareers@gd-ms.com.

It's a job.

Pretty good co-workers. Management is another story. A lot of favoritism and but you get every other Friday off, if not on overtime. Would be a lot better with better management.

September 6, 2022
We agree our work/life balance is top notch! Our teams have flexible scheduling, with options like our 9/80 (every other Friday off) and remote work (based on position). With this mix we offer a little something for everyone. We're always open to hearing from you on how your career experience can be improved so please reach out with details at GDMSCareers@gd-ms.com.

Might just be my department, but everyone was very helpful and willing to help others learn their role.

I would enter the office at around 8 AM every day and leave at 4-6, depending on the project. Much of the company is kept under wraps, so I cannot elaborate on the details of the different programs, but they were really cool. The hardest part about getting started was the sheer amount of information that you need to process; it's like drinking from a firehose, but the people in the company are always willing to help you learn the job. Some will even teach you about their own areas of expertise if you are interested.

Pros

Hours are very flexible, There is plenty of job mobility, Earned PTO, Plenty of company events, Free to work at your own pace for the most part, Cool programs, Plenty of different positions to move to in order to find the position for you, Matching 401k, Great healthcare coverage.

Cons

You are a government contractor, so you will deal with the government regularly. The company is extremely serious about time charging, there have been several firings for mischarging time.

August 23, 2022
We appreciate your taking the time to provide a review. Working on things that help keep our nation safe is definitely serious business and we work hard with our teams to ensure best practices are being used for everything we do.

The support provided by teammates and leadership is fantastic.

We work hard and the results are very rewarding. Management is excellent and the 9/80 schedule is awesome allowing every other Friday off.There are always new work and learning opportunities available.

Pros

Schedule and team comradery.

Cons

No shaded parking for those working on site.

August 23, 2022
We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience and opportunities for learning. Personal and professional development are important to everyone here. (And having every other Friday off is a great perk too!)

Management in it for themselves

Interviews are a two way street. I interviewed for a position, took the job, and on my first day they had reorganized the department and placed people management roles who should not have been. I always made sure my boss didn't look bad when he made a call I didn't agree with, but when a situation escalated due to his call, he never owned up to it and it made me look bad. When I said I needed help, I was essentially told to standby and see how things worked out. I stopped caring and found opportunities elsewhere.

Pros

Pto

Cons

You have to fit into what they consider "normal"

August 23, 2022
Thank you for sharing what you encountered. While we have processes in place, we know that there is room for improvement. If you have more information to share, please let us know by emailing us at GDMSCareers@gd-ms.com.

Overall laidback atmosphere compensation and overall appreciation for employees is not there.

Lack of respect from upper management. Only way to make a living is to work 7 days a week. Advancement is based of who you know not qualifications. No employee engagement what so ever because of the area people are treat as if they aren’t human.

August 23, 2022
Though we’re sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your time with us, we appreciate the feedback on how we can improve. If you’d like to discuss this further, feel free to contact us at GDMSCareers@gd-ms.com.

Typical US Business behavior

GDMS is a huge company, and as its a company its beholden to its shareholders. The C-Suite act like any other major company and only try to hit their bonuses and make record profits and everything else be damned.

Pros

Government Defense Contractors arnt going anywhere

Cons

TONS of middle management

July 26, 2022
We’re going to review your feedback with our teams and use it to improve communications and drive change. If you are open to talking more about your experiences, please contact us TalentSupply@gd-ms.com. Thank you.

Purposeful workplace with many opportunities

Most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to support an IP-based communications system used by the US Coast Guard to protect the border and conduct search and rescue missions.

July 26, 2022
The work we do is important and we are glad you are part of it. Thank you for your feedback.

Professional company

I was employed for less than 2 years and spent 7 months working from home due to covid. Great people to work with. I wasn't able to find a position I felt really good about due to the short stay. I was not happy with job location in Massachusetts. I left to go back out west and into a field service job,

Pros

Good pay and work schedule

July 26, 2022
Thank you for your review. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors!

Great pay and benefits, poor leadership from director level on down

The department I worked in was always about the "good ol boys". if you weren't one, you weren't advancing. Period. But past that, the company itself is great, very good benefits and pay.

Pros

Pay, benefits, job purpose

Cons

Poor middle management and good ol boy system

June 28, 2022
Please contact us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com so we can learn more about your experience and take appropriate steps to ensure we are all working together and providing a great space for everyone. We want this to continue to be an amazing place to build your career.

Overall great place to work

The culture was very laid back. We had core hours from 9am-1pm where the bosses expected us to be there, but other than that, you could come in go as you pleased. As long as you had 80 hrs at the end of two weeks, the managers did not care how you got it (At least from the teams I saw). We had every other Friday off, and the Friday on was casual Fridays. The enivornment in Pittsfield was almost like a family type feel because there were several employees that had been there for over 15-20+ years. The job security is great.I only left the company because I hated the weather up there and I'm from South Carolina. I wanted to move back home.

June 28, 2022
We are thrilled to read that you experienced Good Humans during your time here, as we strive to surround our employees with teammates and leaders who are respectful, compassionate, and humble above all else. Thanks for your contribution to General Dynamics Mission Systems!

I love the fact that what I am doing is to help to support those that support my country. I am doing my part to keep them safe as they keep us safe.

I have learned more than I can tell because at General Dynamics Mission Systems, it's all about security. We will ensure that our company is secure an in the process ensure that our country is secure. We get the job done right. The work is based on quality more than quantity and I have always wanted to work for a company who understood that quality meant better & survival.

May 24, 2022
We couldn't agree more! We are entirely committed to making General Dynamics Mission Systems a great place to work while working on things that help keep our nation safe. We appreciate your recognition of our continued efforts. Thanks for being a part of it!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Mission Systems. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

60%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

80%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss