General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews

Environment good, management not so good
Test engineer (Former Employee) –  State College, PAJuly 7, 2018
Great work environment, great people, only issue I had was management is not so good, they put you in impossible situations and expect miracles. Not much consideration for the employee... I would not work there again after having been there for 10 years...
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Management is clueless
Lazy
Senior Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 2, 2018
Lazy bitter people work here. People who have been here for 20+ years and will not do anything, yet they continue to have a job. So if you have any kind of work ethic, this will drive you nuts
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 24, 2018
I was a contractor, wanting to go permanent. Would have loved to stay but a division shut down and I got cut. Subject to layoffs from loss of gov contracts..
Excellent corporation because of their workforce
Sr Instructor / Curriculum Developer / FSR Korea (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MA and worldwide locationsJune 21, 2018
I worked at General Dynamics for 28 years and always had a clear understanding of what was desired by our customers and we provided that to the customer.
Our group travelled 90% if the time and we were compensated for our efforts. Although being away from your family is something I will not recommend; we used to save some travel money or reward points to share with our family during bench time.
Recently, it was getting to be very difficult to perform the same high performance work because the lowest cost is not the best choice.
What I used to offset the family hardship was eventually taken away by policy changes.
I used to train our military and always slept better knowing we did our best at every level within the corporation.
I encourage you to work for General Dynamics and make it a career.
Contracts often lost. Can be laid off during clearance process.
Systems Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VA 20151June 20, 2018
Contracts often lost. Can be laid off during clearance process. Therefore, not a stable source of employment. Difficult to advance. Good compensation, and benefits.
Good place to work.
Windows System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Needham, MAJune 14, 2018
Like I said I enjoyed my time there. Learned more there than any school. I dont want to say anymore but because there is a 150 char minimum I will fill this up with dead space.
Good balance with family life.
Senior Engineer Technical Staff (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MAJune 14, 2018
New ideas and thoughts are usually not heard until its a bit late. The architecture team has not delivered anything. And they continue to promote people with limited experience.
Not enough concern about quality
Senior Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VA and Scottsdale, AZJune 12, 2018
Too much concern on getting a product out, whether it was correct or not. No more info to be included. Lower level management would not stand up for the ideas and thoughts of the employee that knows their job.
Pros
Family time/Benefits/Salary
Cons
Not enough consideration for quality
Exciting to learn about what the company does and why makes you wanna work hard for them.
Sr. Press operator (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJune 12, 2018
Learning environment learning something new every day and a lots of room for building your career for higher levels and positions. The have smart and intelligent supervisors that always there to help.
Work at your own Risk
SR ADV Field Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Joint Base Lewis McChord, WAJune 9, 2018
Flaky management
great co workers
challenging environment
mostly veterans in the field

It is contract work so every year you are worried about your job.
Pros
Pay
Cons
they have reduced benefits such as safety shoes, gym reimbursement, tuition assistance, work life balance is terrible, and management is subpar compared to other fortune 500 companies
Good place to work, when the work is there
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXMay 29, 2018
Overall a good place to work, quite a few perks to enjoy in the office, but the benefits aren't the best. You are pigenholed into only one type of health care coverage - high deductible plans; and you only have the choice of how high you want your deductible to be.
Excellant employer
Shipping/Receiving Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kilgore, TXMay 25, 2018
Excellent working environment. Minimal supervision with daily reviews. Overall excellent workplace with many wonderful co-workers. Wonderful working conditions. .
Pros
Stable employment with opertunities for advancment
Cons
Health insurance is less than desirable with high deductable
Great
Senior Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 17, 2018
I would work there again. GD-MS was a great place to learn, work, and associate with like-minded people. Layoffs are never a good thing, but they happen.
Great well established company
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 15, 2018
I worked for GD for 20 years in the IT management field. I advanced quickly and was promoted and compensated fairly all throughout my career there. I always enjoyed the people I worked with and my management over the course of my career there was excellent and provided great mentoring.
industry leader
Engineering Department Mgr (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 20, 2018
section management cares about the careers and lives of staff. It has been a good place to network and learn about emerging technologies. There is a great internship program
A bad manager can sour a good employee quickly.
Quality Assurance Technician II (Current Employee) –  Cullman, ALApril 5, 2018
I am currently a CMM inspector, and have been for eleven years. I have gained tremendous knowledge from my experience producing some of the most complicated parts in the aerospace industry. I have seen firsthand how managers differ in their style, since I have had four in my time here at the same position. I have decided to pursue employment elsewhere because of lack of fairness in our department, as perceived by several of my colleagues, as well as myself.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Lack of fairness
good work
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, CAApril 3, 2018
very good company to work for. Lots of traveling and benefits. learned a lot and meet many good people. Only reason left was laid off due to personnel reductions.
Pros
benefit
Cons
end of contracts
Last decades tech
Information Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MAMarch 30, 2018
The WIN-T platform is so outdated your career will be set back 10 years if you work on it. The company was cavalier with my personal time and inflexible when I tried to take comp time
Pros
they'll keep your clearance active while you search for your next job
Cons
The government contracting process
Great co-workers.
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 19, 2018
I worked directly for GD for 25 years before I got caught up in a RIF. When I was let go, GD had a good leave program and a flexible work schedule. For example, during this contract with GD, I asked if I could work a 4-10 work week to avoid driving through downtown one less day a week, they said OK. I may have been lucky, but it was great!
tribal culture not interested in outsiders joining the team.
Director, Business Development (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MAMarch 13, 2018
tribal culture not interested in outsiders joining the team. Believe in activity vs accomplishment as the norm. brazen attitude toward customer requests. created the customer position anybody but GD.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Mission Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

72out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at General Dynamics Mission Systems.