General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems

General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems Employee Reviews

United States33 reviews
The attendance policy is very lenient, which allows for a good work life balance
PTO use is not only allowed, but encouraged by management. Given the easy accrual and short time required to request PTO usage, it's allowed me to have a work life balance that I couldn't have asked for almost anywhere else.
Awesome place, Requires highly technical skills to succeed
Extraordinary company, requires highly proficient skills in all the spectrum of the industrial maintenance field in order to succeed.
Top notch management. If you are selected you will work with the best of the best highly specialized technicians of all fields. Maintenance bosses are very professional and treat you like family, the job demands highly motivated, energetic and disciplined individuals with positive attitudes.
Not just 9 to 5 all the time. Hard work recognized, ability to move up.
VT facility.
Great people to work with, supportive management. Only limit on what you can do is you. OTS management more micromanaging, but you can deal with it.
Great Company
Great Company to work for! The culture was great, as well as the management. It is an exciting company for the top professionals in the industry! A great experience!
Corrupt Organization and Leaders
GD lacks integrity and direction. It is very corrupt. Senior Leaders miss many deadlines and aren’t accountable for their empty promises. They are unable to make a profit demonstrates how mismanaged and incompetent they really are.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Hiring Process Nightmare
I applied at this company several times over the years. Recently due to a change of circumstances I was declared "disabled" due to an anxiety disorder that resists treatment.

Suddenly General Dynamics wants to hire me for a very lofty and high placed "Master Fab" position. Told me my start date would be on the 3rd of Feb! Wonderful. Fill out the forms, sit back and get no reply. I ask them to confirm my start date give me some sort of indication things are proceeding, no answer. No answer. Request for status is ignored until the absolute last possible second then I'm told the hiring date is pushed out 21 days while they sort out an issue requesting my high-school transcripts. My old school has a very specific process for requesting transcripts and diploma status, I was there OVER 30 years ago so it takes time to look that up.

At no point did they communicate the need to provide that information, which is redundant considering my military service and college degree. Company refused to budge, they maintained that I needed to "just wait out the additional month."

On top of that the HR manager referred to me as "ma'am" over the phone despite telling her seven times I was male and the proper mode of address was "sir." She laughed it off and said it didn't matter to her just deal with it.

So take what you will from this experience -- company will pretend to love you to pieces if you are disabled or military, then string you along and force you into a holding pattern for their own amusement. This is on top of the insulting behavior
 - more...
Production is number one
There is no preventative maintenance on equipment and the motto is run until it breaks. Safety is constantly preached but not implemented in the work area when regarding health. Instead of ventilation blowing fumes out of the building the poorly filtered system blows visible particles overhead of employees. They are “working” on a new system. Maintenance will request and order new air filters but supply will not order. The roof has leaked for 20 years and possibly more when it rains, it floods the walkway and break room. Ply boards are laid on the ground to walk over flooded areas. Welders, work space, and products are getting wet from ceiling leaks. A new roof was in the budget for 2019 and we are now at the end of the year and still nothing. However, the plant has acquired new golf carts for management though. Nothing is important until corporate makes a visit because of an accident. Management is on a buddy system and currently seeking a new “culture” to improve work atmosphere. Seniority is preached and followed only when it benefits the right people. Pay and benefits are good to support a family but not enough to buy off your self-worth and well being.
Managment lied during interview
Job description said four ten hour shifts.. Same thing was said to me in the interview, my first day I found out the norm was six ten hour shifts.. I was completely lied too, worked one day and never came back.
Pros
Nice big breakroom, casual dress code
Cons
Being lied too
Hr sucks
They don't have the right information in the system and blame you saying it's your responsibility like its not their job. Besides that it is an enjoyable job.
I would Recommend a family member to work there
Recommend a family member to work there. Bid on a skilled position, They are better jobs and management treat you with more respect. Don’t get discouraged with layoffs .
Expendable bodies
History of mass lay-off. Typical relationship of union vs management nonsense. Far too many low level management underlings that perpetuate snowballing of often mindless process (paper trail) to justify their own “existence”. Culture of divide and conquer. I’ve never come across a more shady out of touch, unqualified, zero people skills from top to bottom.
Not a good experience
Given little training, then let go when I made mistakes. Very unfair. Cnc apprenticeship class is a joke. You two weeks in a classroom with 4 other guys taught very little and a week of actual training on the machines, you are tripping over 3 other guys to get your hands on the machines. When asking instructor how to do a specific task, he does it for rather than show you. Management talks down to you and makes you feel like garbage. "Its not rocket science is thier decorate response
Great Place to Work
Amazing opportunity to work in a place making incredible products that make a difference. The culture is very proud of what they do and management appreciates everyone's contributions. Great benefits.
I worked at General Dynamics OTS for almost 3 years and I enjoyed it. I'd definitely work there again. I liked everyone I worked with and the job wasnt too stressful.
Not too bad
Started as an engineering intern, got promoted in a month to an actual engineering position with the company.

Company uses really antiquated technology for almost all business processes (I.e. a DOS system developed in the 1980’s to handle all database functions for the entire company)
Pros
Very relaxed causal place, Pto, people don’t care as long as work gets done
Cons
Heath Coverage
Great Place to work
Very friendly people that work around your schedule. Amazing place to work. I would recommend it to anyone, and would come back to work here any change I got.
Terrible place to work, do not recommend
I was an employee for almost 15 years, they could care less about you, you are just a number. Management sucks now, was way better when I started. Pay was ok, don’t make plans for the weekends hardly get any off. And if you take time off you get a target on your back. Union here is back stabbers, make deals with the company behind your back.
Pros
Cons
Union representatives, management, hours worked, no family time.
General Dynamics
Was a wonderful place to work. They treated me very well. The work was challenging and my immediate management was the best I have ever encountered in my long career in the Defense Industry.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Environment
Cons
New CEO
Honestly I have nothing to say about the company General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems expect they could do better by their employees. Thee End
dont work here
I don't like this place people are racist and rude and two faced and have a poor work ethic and its way out in the woods no phone service the fire people when they give a 2weeks notice
safe
Good place to work and i would love to stay but i'm an moving. the manger and staff are great people. I dont like that the machine goes down and we have to go home some times and miss work
Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9