General Growth Properties Employee Reviews

Excellent Place to Work - I love my Job!!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2018
I love working for this company, I am surrounded by intelligent, hard working people and the work environment in Chicago is amazing!! One of the best companies I have ever worked at. They do everything possible to make the employee feel well taken care of - fair compensation and great benefits etc. Employees have so many perks at their fingertips that add up to so much, you really have to not have had these perks before to really appreciate them.

My one gripe is the open office concept, it is open where everyone see everything and everybody, it is very nice but no one seems to really enjoy this particular setup. If only the walls on the cubicles were 5-10 more inches higher they would be perfect because when you sit down you won't be able to see anyone. The way the setup is now you can see people across the other side of the floor (the floors are very long) blowing their nose - fixing their hair - you name it. The open concept is usually reserved to promote collaborative interactions but I see it doing the opposite where people are all trying to be quiet and whisper. I am thankful nonetheless to have a job with a great company.
Pros
Management, work environment, culture
Cons
Open cubicles where everyone see everyone and everything.
GGP is great, but...
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJuly 24, 2018
I worked at GGP full-time for nearly two years. No problems with GGP as a whole. They are a great company with great benefits.

Since GGP is a huge entity, with multiple locations, I can only speak of one particular location I worked. I have been through two separate management teams at his location. These negative remarks refer to the latest group...

The office dwellers are cliquish. The have little to no real life or work experiences that would have qualified them for the positions they hold. They have no idea that malls are a thing of the past, and are slowly dying. As someone with a military background understanding the team concept, I can tell you they have re-defined "team" from WE to ME. There is no team work, no leadership, and no communication. They have also turned the once great environment into a toxic, almost hostile, place to work. Anyone outside the office is second class to them.

Field workers are expected to perform duties with little to no resources. I understand budgets are a huge factor, but I still fail to understand how remodeling the offices (which didn't need to be) takes propriety over tools, safety equipment, and repairs needed to fix failing and potentially dangerous conditions around the property.
The management group needs to grow up and stop acting like they're in high school. They may want to consider leadership qualities that would benefit GGP instead of making them look bad.
benefits
Cons
management
Shopping mall
Associate Mall Accountant (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAJuly 18, 2018
Great mall in New England
AR collections, deposits recording using JDEdwards, monthly invoicing ,
AP bills, new vendors set up, customers and vendors communication
janitor work place
willow brook mall (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJJuly 11, 2018
its really a no brainer just scrubbing floors on for night shift
they have driving machines there that you ride around and
you scrub the food court
Pros
lunch
Cons
short breaks
They changed to smaller company.
Carousel /customer service supervisor. (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 27, 2018
This company was great to work with for a while but they changed to an outside company. While working there I was happy to be a part of their growth. Most days was light work for me and short hours to do.
I know from experience that doing a great job for any company and following the rules and guidelines for the company makes for great achievers. I look forward to hearing from new jobs just like this one in the near future.
Lack of leadership and concern for employees
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2018
Lack of support for field employees. Concern only for C-class and what they can accomplish. Do not listen and assist with employee/employer issues. Disappointed in track they take.
Flexible Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 16, 2018
I was working at General Growth while working my other full time job.
They were always very flexible with my hours to accommodate my other job. Loved the people and customers that I got to work with on a daily basis.
PoorLeadership
Maintenance Supervisor of North Town Mall (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAMay 11, 2018
Your are treated like a slave though the office staff are not required to actually work. Most of the office staff spend their days killing time on Facebook and YouTube.
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
Poor management
Mostly Ok
AP Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 29, 2018
It can feel like you are working with people from Mean Girls if you aren't in the "know". Certain groups back stab. Other groups get away with anything. Favoritism runs high here.
Culture is open and honest
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Hilo, HIApril 29, 2018
The whole company does practice the principles of HADTO.
• Humility – looking in the mirror first when things go wrong, respecting others when in disagreement, learning from constructive criticism, and being self-aware of impact on others;
• Attitude – displays positive spirit, adapts to changes, seeks opportunities, represents GGP, assumes good intent in others and remains constructive;
• Do the Right Thing – acts ethically and with integrity, maintains confidentiality and trust, does what is best for GGP and adheres to policies and procedures;
• Together – builds relationships, supports team decisions, respects others’ expertise and collaborates; and
• Own It – drives to the finish line, sets priorities, allocates resources, maintains productivity, challenges assumptions and balances risk and reward.
Pros
Large company with good management
Cons
Large company wiht good management
Ok benefits,good earning potential for the right person
Group Business Development Representative (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 26, 2018
ok benefits, no advancement, good work environment. Be wary of spinoffs--they will happen again in an ever-changing retail landscape especially when they have properties for sale.
Too much office politics
OFFICE SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2018
the company culture as a whole do not honor a hard-working dedicated employee instead they want someone that's going to kiss butt and allow themselves to be treated any type of way from their employer
Pros
Nice benefit package
Cons
Hard work goes unappreciated
such a great place to work
Application Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2018
everyone is friendly
everyone is competent
highly capable management
great corp culture
top down left right everyone is fun and talented and helpful
i miss GGP
Intern
Investor Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 1, 2018
Great internship program. Well organized internship that gave a great well rounded experience. Interns learned a lot over the summer and were able to gain great insight into mall REITs.
Impressive Organization
Sr. Executive IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMarch 21, 2018
This organization is a firm that exemplifies IT supporting the business and utilizing technology efficiently and effectively to further the focus and vision of their business.
Pros
Progressive organization that partners well with their business
Fun-place to work
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 19, 2018
It would be a good place to work if you had the right management that was fair to there employees. Treated them with respect, the most enjoyable part was making friends with the mall employees.
Benefits
Cons
Director of Visual Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2018
I've never work with a dedicated group of people. Everybody knows their jobs and the company runs like an uninteruppted machine. Compensation packages are great.
Pros
smart and dedicated group of people
Cons
stressful.
GGP Rebound
Senior Development Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 14, 2018
Loved working at GGP, though I left the company pre-bankruptcy. I was given a lot of autonomy and trust to do a great job at all times. There was a purchase of another company while I worked there and that confused management. I had 3 bosses in less than 3 years.
Pros
Work Life balance was pretty good
Cons
Lots of silos that I worked through
Good workplace culture
Payroll Generalist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2018
Good company to work at if you want to work in Chicago. The culture is great and many different activities. They allow you to volunteer and get paid for 8 hours per quarter. Lots of young people so it's a good place to start a career in property accounting.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
long commute
Huge Operation, Great Team
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 26, 2018
As a 2.4 million sq/ft retail shopping center with almost another 1 million sq/ft of office space, the Ala Moana Center is a unique property. As such, the requirements to contain such a large operation are equally unique. There is a sense of urgency to the day-to-day and often a hustle to address the demands of the facility, but the management team is remarkably calm, approachable, and positive. They navigate the storm with a sense of confidence and expertise. The general manager and associate general manager maintain an open door policy and treat their team with compassion and respect. They are also very good at sharing their knowledge. As an employee, you really feel as though they care about you as an individual. GGP as a whole is also this way. They are committed to the advancement of their staff. If you are interested in growth, a position with Ala Moana Center is a master class in property management. While the fast-paced environment can get a little overwhelming at times, there is a great support network in place and so much to learn.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Growth Properties. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

2.8Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight